Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: >Bloc, a game of geopolitics  (Read 5141 times)

Plebeian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
>Bloc, a game of geopolitics
« on: September 04, 2015, 09:10:57 pm »

Hey, about two years ago there was a massive bay12 alliance on bloc so I thought I might get you guys involved again 'if you'd be keen'
here's a bit of info for all the new guys

What is >Bloc?

Bloc is an online text-based geopolitical simulator of Third World Countries during the Cold War. The game is driven by a combination of in game mechanics and entirely player led and organized alliances and diplomacy. Players guide a third world country during the Cold War through a complicated maze of politics and diplomacy. This game allows players to embark upon many paths during the Cold War from export oriented economies, oil rich renter states, industrialized powerhouses, or pillaging military dictatorships. This is done through a very simple series of mechanics which have a very easy learning curve. A huge amount of the fun comes not only in these mechanics, but in the war system and in game diplomacy. So, which Bloc will you join?

Players create and lead their own country, directing its political, economic and military destiny.
Rule as an oppressive dictatorship or benevolent democracy.
Ally or conspire against hundreds of other nations, each lead by a player like you, in a sandbox political world driven by the players.
Manage your nation's economy, becoming the wealthiest nation through communism or capitalism.
Conquer your enemies, seizing their territory and their wealth with your armies.

Links:
blocgame.com
blocgame.com/chat.php
blocgame.com/register.php
blocgame.com/forums/index.php

Tip:
Join an alliance straight away (You'll have to contact either the founder or officers of this alliance and ask for an invitation) unless you plan on creating your own which can be down in the foreign policy tab. You'll want to do this because nations not in an alliance are considered fair game and can attack you, however being in an alliance will significantly reduce the chance of this and you'll have people to back you up if somebody does raid you.

There is a guide here if you get confused
http://blocgame.com/forums/index.php?topic=204.0

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: >Bloc, a game of geopolitics
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 09:49:25 pm »

Wasn't bloc that webgame that the developer abandoned, was overrun with exploiters, and within days descended into a total shit show?

:/ Not exactly a very tempting prospect.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 11:03:39 pm »

Wasn't bloc that webgame that the developer abandoned, was overrun with exploiters, and within days descended into a total shit show?

It was either bloc or some other webgame.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 11:59:40 pm »

Bay12 did a thing for this. Got rekted by Goons(grr) or some shit.

Yep.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 12:21:28 am »

Yeah, I would not touch this with a ten-foot pole, if I remember the end of the bay12 alliance on Bloc, people found that the code and database were entirely unsecured, so your login, password used and e-mail address were all up for grabs to whoever wanted to look.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 03:42:16 am »

A quick check on the forums says that passwords aren't stored in plaintext, at least.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 03:46:00 am »

Wasn't that game accidently completely ruined by someone? https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/3hpd86/tifu_by_destroying_an_indie_mmo/
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 05:06:46 am »

Good god, that was a complete disaster. In the first run I suicided myself attacking the top nation in the game just to troll them, because I was bored. I'm glad I took the opportunity because days later the entire game server and forums were hacked, and a few days after that shut down. The game was buggy and had serious conceptual design flaws and was getting smaller hacks (before conquering the server entirely) pretty often.

Not doing that again.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

bfoley

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 07:40:31 am »

Good god, that was a complete disaster. In the first run I suicided myself attacking the top nation in the game just to troll them, because I was bored. I'm glad I took the opportunity because days later the entire game server and forums were hacked, and a few days after that shut down. The game was buggy and had serious conceptual design flaws and was getting smaller hacks (before conquering the server entirely) pretty often.

Not doing that again.

The game has been massively improved and developed since 2013, all the exploits were patched two years ago, and the game has been running pretty smooth for awhile.

I'm the developer, and yeah it had a lot of issues when I first made it and it suddenly exploded with popularity beyond what I could handle. I understand if what happened two years ago turns you off from playing now, but I just kinda wanted to defend myself. But its been two years of on and off development since then and is basically unrecognizable from what it was.

Also the above post about access to the database and unsecured info is not true, all user info is probably stored and has never been accessed.

Anyways, I hope you guys are willing to give my game a second chance, but if not I understand.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 07:58:36 am by bfoley »

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 05:13:04 pm »

I used to play waaaaaay back since bloc.name, might be interesting to hop back in.

I'm the developer.
Rumsod talking to people? No way! :P
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Plebeian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 04:24:54 am »

I used to play waaaaaay back since bloc.name, might be interesting to hop back in.

I'm the developer.
Rumsod talking to people? No way! :P

It's come quite along way, I played back in 1.0 as well and I'm truly impressed with the path the game has taken.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 12:53:46 pm »

I tried to start as the game was imploding. I'd be interested to play in a B12 alliance, though.