Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: 23rd century botony! (A wild sequel appears!)  (Read 20622 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
23rd century botony! (A wild sequel appears!)
« on: September 04, 2015, 09:21:57 pm »

Way back when, being the boss was an old mans game.  It was a fairly simple matter, you'd blackmail your way into a strongarm position, loot the pension fund for all it was worth and walk away with other people's savings while someone else stepped forward for their turn.  These days, it takes a bit of a more hands on approach.  You aint nobody until someone tries to kill you, like they say.  See this scar here?  Deal gone right, cost me three toes too but no pain no gain.  See that one?  Deal gone wrong.  Or have I got them mixed up again?  Hm... but what was I saying?  I wasn't supposed to be talking about myself.  Who was I supposed to be talking about?  You asked me about one of the scrappy kids I crossed paths with way back when...

Name: (Whatever you feel is appropriate for the 23rd century)
Hometown: (Presumably on earth?  There's no hyperdrive or FTL in this setting)
Starting investments: (One of these: Hydroponics / Nuclear materials / Armaments / Energy / Metals / Polymers / Finance / Real Estate / Recreation and Media / Private Security)

((I thought it would be neat to make a suggestion game to play around with a futuristic setting and the intrigues that money will inspire when the technologies people use are very different.   After the starting five questions are answered I'll provide information more information about the setting, I just want you guys to answer these questions while you are still in the dark.  After all... we are all in the dark to some extent when we start any venture.))
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:52:57 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 23rd century capitalism!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 09:48:40 pm »

Damnit, this looks like it would be amazing as a multiplayer game, but alas, it is a suggestion game, I'm still gonna play though. Question, have rockets increased in speed to the point that interplanetary travel time is reduced to a few months? Two
Centuries is a long time.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 10:03:07 pm »

Name: Jefferson Franklin Tyler (Named after the three greatest presidents)
Hometown: Boulder, Colorodo
investment: Private Security (or Weaponised Nuclear Hydroponics)

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 10:04:03 pm »

Name: Jefferson Franklin Tyler
Hometown: Boulder, Colorado
Investment: Private Security
+1
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 10:08:59 pm »

Question, have rockets increased in speed to the point that interplanetary travel time is reduced to a few months? Two

Interplanetary trips dont take centuries with rockets already?  Even getting to pluto only took New Horizons 9 years.  Most spaceflight is going to be to either the moon, Mars, asteroid belt or Jupiter and they're all reachable in about a year, tops.  But that's me getting ahead of myself...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 10:23:03 pm »

Question, have rockets increased in speed to the point that interplanetary travel time is reduced to a few months? Two

Interplanetary trips dont take centuries with rockets already?  Even getting to pluto only took New Horizons 9 years.  Most spaceflight is going to be to either the moon, Mars, asteroid belt or Jupiter and they're all reachable in about a year, tops.  But that's me getting ahead of myself...
eh, it's world building. We didn't just waken from a two century coma after all. We know about spaceflight, at least a little.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 11:35:14 pm »

I think you misunderstood my statement, what I was asking if we (The humans) have had any significant advances which could speed up spaceflight.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 11:39:49 pm »

((Still not started yet but decided to start giving information about the world.  I'm going to give a little time before I put up new background questions to see if any alternative character suggestions get more popular.  The main character is going to be from Boulder though.  Well, born there anyway.  Before y'know...))

-----------------------------------
Boulder Colorado, residential district

Growing up you never stepped outside.  Your parents told you that at a very young age, just like everyone else's did.  Dont go outside, the air will eat right through your skin.  But you had a picture in your home growing up, taken of Boulder from an airplane flying just outside the edge of town.  You can see your apartment right there in the middle.  Floor three hundred and eleven, the one with the bit of red.  Most people dont get an apartment on the edge of town but you were lucky like that.  It wasn't always the prettiest view...

But you had an apartment with honest to god windows to the outside and you were proud of that.  Mom and Dad paid good money every week so they could see the mountains whenever the rains and fog were lifted.  Which wasn't too often of course.

They say it wasn't always like that.  Two hundred years ago, everyone had an apartment with windows made of glass.  But that was before the world wars.  Well before the really bad ones anyway...

Some people thought that the nukes would be the end of the world.  Of course not.  Hell, the nukes were just the warmup course before the really nasty weapons were ready.  But life goes on.  The survivors bury the dead and start building again.  But the wars ripped the planet a new one and the outside wasn't safe anymore.  That's where places like Boulder came from.  Millions of people huddled in giant concrete mammoths to escape the radioactive rains and a whole world developed in the man made darkness...

------------------------------------------

I think you misunderstood my statement, what I was asking if we (The humans) have had any significant advances which could speed up spaceflight.

((They have, but you spaceflight is probably going to be a bit outside your starting budget)).
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 06:26:54 pm »

((I've decided that there are going to be 4 "historical" posts providing a background for the world and the story of Franklin's prior years.  Each one will feature a life decision before the story skips forward a couple years again.))

Being born in the cities, you were aware of the National Guard at a very young age.  They had been a fixture in the cities for a long time.  When the cities were rebuilt, people were promised a new future.  The outside was too dangerous but they they were promised bright new cities of artificial light.

After a while the land would be reclaimed and people would move back into the outside.  But when the first land was detoxified, the government needed it for crops.  And the farmers needed a place to live of course.  And really the land should go to the people who deserved it the most, not a bunch of slum dwellers who contributed nothing to society.  The years turned into decades and boys and girls became women and men who had never even seen the outside.  Eventually the protests started.  They never really had a goal, they just clogged the busiest corridors of the cities, creating an obstruction so their grievances would be known.

Protests lead to riots...

And riots lead to bloodshed...

Your grandparents can remember a time before the National Guard ran the cities.  Your parents never could and by the time you were born they were a fact of life.  But still... the Guard are all that stands between your city and chaos.  Gangsters run amok in the old district.  Bandits hide in the hills ready to attack the intercity convoys.  "The Guard, First Line of Defense"

The guard only accepts recruits between their 18th and 19th birthdays.  It's a matter of loyalty.  It's a matter of commitment.  It's a matter of being elite.  The guard are the people who go on to become city security officers or join the military.  At least you might see the outside before you die.

(...okay maybe these ones aren't looking too elite right now)

Of course for you, this is all ancient history.  For you, the year is 2264 and like everyone your age you get an email reminding you that you can find out if you have what it takes to be in the national guard.  What do you think of it?

A) The National Guard protects my city, I'm doing my part!
B) The National Guard are fascist scum, I'd rather join the rebels
C) Guardsmen, Rebels?  Who gives a crap?  The gangs in Oldtown, they really run this city
D) (Other suggestion)
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 06:31:12 pm »

D) The National Guard is a Career path to Power. Everyone could use a retired Guard: City government, Corporate Security, even the Gangs recruit from there. But i have plans of my own ...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 06:40:09 pm »

I'm gonna count that as a vote for A but your motivations are noted.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 07:08:42 pm »

D) The National Guard is a Career path to Power. Everyone could use a retired Guard: City government, Corporate Security, even the Gangs recruit from there. But i have plans of my own ...
+1.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 07:34:58 pm »

D) Of course i'll join the guard. But i'm not doing any of that stupid grunt work and being put in harms way because others are to scared to face reality and bullets. I'll be the one to lead and make sure those under me see the next day. Slowly my name spread as one of the best officers the Guard had and even a legend in the streets as well as the outside world.

Turns out competant leadership is a highly prized commodity.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 08:14:11 pm »

I'll be the one to lead and make sure those under me see the next day.

I knew a guy who was in the army and while he was still in boot camp, he was already planning to be an officer.  His Drill Instructor found out and gave him the callsign "Cupcake" because anyone who wanted to be an officer needed practice making people take him seriously.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 09:01:46 pm »

I'll be the one to lead and make sure those under me see the next day.

I knew a guy who was in the army and while he was still in boot camp, he was already planning to be an officer.  His Drill Instructor found out and gave him the callsign "Cupcake" because anyone who wanted to be an officer needed practice making people take him seriously.
I understand that the grunts tend to respect an officer who worked up through the ranks a bit more than the other kind.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14