Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: 23rd century botony! (A wild sequel appears!)  (Read 20794 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: 23rd century capitalism!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 02:00:31 am »

"Ah, the Generals; they are numerous, but not good for much!"

-----------------------------------
In 2264, you joined the Boulder City National Guard with the intention of working your way up through the ranks.  Well it became clear pretty quick that was bullshit.  You didn't have the political connections to make it on the officer track the easy way and you needed to be suicidally heroic to do it the hard way.  You weren't a coward by any stretch but some of those guys... it was like they had nothing to live for.  And honestly they might not.

But hey, BCNG wasn't too bad, it meant three square a day and even being enlisted would open some doors for you later on.  Still you kept your eyes open and it turned out there was another way.  Requisitions.  At the end of the day the Guard needs things, food, engine parts, even entertainment, that the Feds dont provide.  So they need requisitions to have people with the right skills to buy what they need from shady suppliers, even criminals.  Meathead valor wont get the job done in Oldtown.  Political connections wont open you any doors.  You need people with skills, namely the art of the bribe and knowing how to run before the shooting starts.  You took to it like fish to water.

Two years in requisitions wasn't enough time to make you an officer but it was enough time to prove yourself to the higher ups.  You were going places.  But as you looked to the future you realized you needed to start making choices.  Well... it came down to the generals.

It had long been a fact that a successful general could be a celebrity among the troops.

Newly promoted General Carl Jenkins, after his success in the Siege of Nagasaki

And celebrity is the pathway to the halls of power...

Secretary of State Carl Jenkins addressing the Forbes Council.  Two years later he would be inaugurated as president.

But there's more then one popular general in the world and some of them take the more direct approach...

The white house burns from artillery fire after the assassination of President Carl Jenkins

Backing a general who is willing to fight their way to the top can take you far.  But backing the wrong horse can be dangerous to say the least.  And so you had to think long and hard about what move to make next...

The Boulder City National Guard protected the city and the area around, but they lacked the heavy gear that made it safe to travel long distances from the city.  The long distance patrol was handled by the US 17th infantry division...

In their armor they could go swimming through acid on the way to the fight and then not even notice the bullets flying around them.

The US 17th infantry was commanded by General Henry Landry.  You never had the chance to have an opinion on the guy before he snuffed it.  The circumstances of his death were a bit murky.  But when Landry bought the farm that the real politics got ugly.  Boulder City National Guard worked closely with the 17th and they thought they had the right to name one of their own to replace Landry, Colonel Samantha Carter.  Carter you knew a bit more, you'd even seen her face to face.  She was a real soldier's general, always making sure the grunts were appreciated.  You knew from your time in requisitions that Carter had greased all the right palms ahead of time and she had the friends in the 17th she needed to run the show.  But letting Carter be in charge of the 17th didn't sit too well with Landry's old boss and ally, General Hugo Mendoza.  Mendoza and Carter had been at each other's throats for years over the food the Feds divvied up to their respective cities.  You knew how these things went down... there was going to be a fight.  Maybe it's hometown vanity but it seemed obvious to you that Carter had the upper hand; she'd been prepping for this fight for years.  So, what was your move?

A) The changing of the guard in the 17th means new billets will be opening up.  With your connections in requisitions you could get yourself assigned to one of those new spots.  After Carter kicks Mendoza's ass you can have a permanent spot in the 17th.  That means leaving Boulder City behind and travelling the world.
B) Carter will be bringing people from the National Guard along with the 17th.  You get yourself tagging along there and you can stay in the Guard and get on the officer track for sure while staying in Boulder.
C) Let other people go charging off, you have a cushy job in the guard.  Dont rock the boat here, let other people get themselves killed playing politician.  When they are dead, you can have their job.
D) You joined the guard to make connections and you've already made them.  This isn't your fight.  It's time to put in for reserve status so that you can start working as a private security contractor.
E) You joined the guard to meet the people who are really in charge and it's not any damn Colonel or General.  You've spent two years pounding the streets in Oldtown and you know the movers and shapers there.  Know where the real money is?  "Private Security" in Oldtown.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:14:11 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 04:15:59 am »

A) Travelling the World means we get connections on the international market. If we want to go big we need to get around.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 04:30:56 am »

A) Travelling the World means we get connections on the international market. If we want to go big we need to get around.
+1 plus, it'll toughen us up. Cowardice has it's own risks. I just hope the Bugs and Goa'uld leave us alone.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 06:30:51 am »

I agree with the above statement!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 07:02:12 am »

PTW

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2015, 10:47:14 am »

+1

I'll be the one to lead and make sure those under me see the next day.

I knew a guy who was in the army and while he was still in boot camp, he was already planning to be an officer.  His Drill Instructor found out and gave him the callsign "Cupcake" because anyone who wanted to be an officer needed practice making people take him seriously.

Or you can do the ROTC track. I always found it hilarious how the military had this "You need to get tough before we respect you" attitude but when a new officer comes in all they do is size them up and if their legit they back off. No prior experienced required for respect.

Then again the military has a very dog eat dog policy. No disrespect to those who fight though.

By the way traveling the world with the 7th infantry means we can charge extra for fencing goods. :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:50:05 am by 3man75 »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2015, 11:23:34 am »

D) You joined the guard to make connections and you've already made them.  This isn't your fight.  It's time to put in for reserve status so that you can start working as a private security contractor.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 01:45:27 pm »

+1 plus, it'll toughen us up. Cowardice has it's own risks. I just hope the Bugs and Goa'uld leave us alone.

((NASA has discovered there is an asteroid near Klendathu on a collision course with earth.  They believe it should impact within 100 million years if no action is taken!))

"an army marches on its stomach"
When you joined the 17th infantry you didn't expect a cushy ride and boy were you right.  The old grunts had a name for the newbies, "packmules".  Well, at least you got to shake the "cupcake" callsign.

"What's in the pack?" "Beans." "What else is in the pack?" "More beans."

It was hard slogging at first.  The 17th had an even higher physical fitness requirement then the Guard and you were shocked to find out that 17th wasn't eating as well as the Guard when you signed up.  It gave you a twinge of pride to know that your requisitions outfit in the Guard was doing a better job then these Feds.  No wonder the 17th wanted Carter to take over.

After weeks of slogging your ways up and down the corridors of Boulder, you finally passed physical examination and got assigned your first patrol.  You stood in the airlock nervous as a highschooler on prom night as the other soldiers around you made jokes about who was sleeping with who.  Then the airlock opened and you stepped out into the broad new world.  Furtively, you removed your goggles for a few minutes and looked at the outside world with your naked eyes for the first time.

Honest to god, I was standing right there and looking out more then a kilometer

As exciting as it was to see the Sun for the first time, you had signed up for a fight and it wasn't going to be a long wait.  Three months into your time in the 17th, Colonel Bose called the whole outfit out to the parade yard, dressed in full uniform.

There you get the news you've been waiting for and more.  Colonel Carter just got named acting General of the 17th by the Governor.  And she just came back from Washington with Big News.  Carter comes out to the cheers of the 17th and tells them she knows what they've been putting up with, the bad food, the bullshit from the top and having their hands tied.  She holds up a piece of paper, an executive order signed by the President himself.  She read it out word for word and then summarized it succinctly:

"The 17th and our brothers in the Guard are authorized to secure the food supply of Boulder and bring the people responsible for stealing our food to justice.  Boys, it's time for us to open a can   whoop-ass on Mendoza!"

You cheered like everyone else at the announcement but later you couldn't help but think about the way the order was phrased.  The 17th was ordered to enforce the Federal rationing laws and arrest anyone illegally redirecting food.  But Mendoza was never mentioned by name even though everyone knew it was about him.  After Landry snuffed it, Mendoza started shipping all of Boulder's food to Wichita instead so it didn't take a genius to see it was Mendozas the 17th was going to bring in alive or dead.  So the President wanted Carter to take out Mendoza... but was covering his ass the whole time, not actually saying it.  Fucking politics, everyone always covering their asses.

But still, your job was clear.  Your job was you were going to slog a big fucking pack all the way to Wichita.  Mendoza had hovercraft that made it too dangerous to send the tanks and planes.  Instead the 17th sent small units like your to hump it all the way to Wichita, slowly picking off Mendozas forward posts.  She was a smart one, that Carter.  Mendoza finally got frustrated and sent his air power in at Colorado Springs, exactly where Carter was waiting for him to strike.  You weren't at that battle but you hear the Boulder National Guard tore the hovercraft a new one...

Hovercraft under artillery bombardment near Colorado Springs

After Colorado Springs, the way was wide open to Wichita and the 17th swept into the city with tanks leading the way and you enjoying the first car ride of your life.  But Mendoza didn't go down easy.  The siege of Wichita became brutal fighting in the depths of the city.  Your squad only got fed most days because you knew how to trade for food with the "smugglers" who sold food that was "lost" from the convoys.

When you finally got Tracy that tin of beans after the hungriest part of the siege, he opened it up expecting to find a snake inside.  He said those cold beans were the best food he'd had in his life.

It was weeks of brutal fighting against the soldiers of Mendoza, the Wichita Guard, even gangs and bandits who worked as mercenaries for Mendoza.  But block by block, the 17th cleared out Wichita.  Then the news hit.  Mendoza had blown his brains out but before he did, he gave an order for "mutually assured destruction".  Missiles flew out from his compound east of Wichita carrying poison to the croplands of west Kansas.  Within three days, the entire harvest was dead.

If I can't have it, nobody will.

The loss of everything you were fighting for hit you like 10 tons to the chest.  The rest of the news was enough to make you feel downright suicidal.  General Norris in Oklahoma saw his opportunity and seized it.  He was moving north from Tulsa and the 3rd armored had just landed at Corpus Cristie to join him.  The 3rd armored, fresh from crushing the insurgency in Columbia didn't hump it's supplies cross country like the 17th infantry.  The 3rd armored brought it's whole damn supply depot with it in an Amphibious Nuclear LandKruzer.  ANLs, they call them Anals because that's a lot more pleasant then what they'll do to you.  Norris announced on the airwaves that any soldier of Carter or Mendoza who didn't surrender would be considered a traitor.

50,000 tons of American military might.  Pointed at your hometown.

The 17th tried to retreat back to Boulder but the 26th Airborne took the city long before the 17th could make it.  Norris sent the 3rd armored after Mendoza first which gave some of the 17th time to head towards Colorado Springs.  There were a lot fewer of you in Colorado Springs then there was in Wichita.  It was even rumored that Carter was dead for a while but when you are out on patrol you find her, very much alive.  Although you couldn't say as much for the two dead bandits nearby.  She is just sitting there, calmly, craddling her cracked helmet in her hands.

You quickly removed your helmet and gave it to the general and then scrounged a helmet for yourself off a dead bandit.  Carter thanked you tersely and just sat there a while, thinking.  Finally she spoke but you never knew if the words were for your benefit or hers.

"About seven thousand left.  Assuming Hong makes it through with the K-concentrate I have protein to feed them for two months.  After that... well with thermal de-poly and the phosphorus from the 155s I can feed about two thousand on yeast for a while.  Might feed a few more with banditry but that's going to be hard in the mountains.  So about two thousand."

Carter never made eye contact with you but instead just stood up and shook her head before she took a hazmat cloak from a bandit and walked off into camp without you.  "It's too much to ask you soldier... I know, I know."

Carter left you sitting alone in the moss covered hills outside Colorado Springs and wondering what there was left for you to do...

A) Head west into the mountains with Carter.  There you can join the insurgency and wait for the day that Norris get's what's coming to him.  Carter needs people with your skills in the lean years ahead.
B) Sneak back into Boulder.  You can't live there under your old name but you know people in Oldtown who can give you a new identity for the right price.
C) Join a cave dweller community in the mountains.  There are still people who hide out there, away from the government controlled cities.  They could use a hired gun.
D) Leave the United States of North America.  If you can pay a smuggler to sneak you into Asia or Europe you will be far enough away that the government wont care about some rebel from a lost cause.
E) Surrender.  Norris might be willing to make use of his former enemies.  Facing the music is the only way you might be able to legally live in the USNA.
F) Other suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:24:23 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 23rd century capitalism! (Distance from halls of power intensifies)
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 02:30:23 pm »

E. Our ambition's are to be the greatest mercenary leader and were not going to backdown from a fight. No man or woman who got to the top and stayed their backed down from fighting in polotics, war, buisness, or sports. Move with the Colonel but arrange a private meeting with one of Mendoza's units. Call a truce and use our combined assault to punch Norri's teeth down his throat. Who the hell does he think he is calling us traitors and inviting himself to a private party.

Oh and secretly hint to the Colonel that we need less moping and heroic action to kick Norris teeth in.

E. Surrender to General Norris with our unit but leave most of our food with Carter. Tell her were going to take him out from the inside.

While our unit surrenders we'll walk into the camp as a trader selling food. We'll sneak in with the best two soldiers we know have our back/are good at this and take out the general with a silenced weapon. Then sneak back into the trader and leave before the commotion is over. Then make it back to Carter and tell her if Norris is dead or not.

No way can we become a legit mercenary CEO if were an outlaw or not liked by our Government.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see that F. was taken.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:42:20 pm by 3man75 »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 02:43:06 pm »

C) Join a cave dweller community in the mountains.  There are still people who hide out there, away from the government controlled cities.  They could use a hired gun

Common! Hard mode!
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 02:47:47 pm »

But I want to have a Nationally recognized Mercenary company like Blackwater. Not some Deset pirates like the LAPD :(

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 02:48:37 pm »

E. Our ambition's are to be the greatest mercenary leader and were not going to backdown from a fight. No man or woman who got to the top and stayed their backed down from fighting in polotics, war, buisness, or sports. Move with the Colonel but arrange a private meeting with one of Mendoza's units. Call a truce and use our combined assault to punch Norri's teeth down his throat. Who the hell does he think he is calling us traitors and inviting himself to a private party.

Oh and secretly hint to the Colonel that we need less moping and heroic action to kick Norris teeth in.

E. Surrender to General Norris with our unit but leave most of our food with Carter. Tell her were going to take him out from the inside.

While our unit surrenders we'll walk into the camp as a trader selling food. We'll sneak in with the best two soldiers we know have our back/are good at this and take out the general with a silenced weapon. Then sneak back into the trader and leave before the commotion is over. Then make it back to Carter and tell her if Norris is dead or not.

No way can we become a legit mercenary CEO if were an outlaw or not liked by our Government.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see that F. was taken.
+1.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 02:52:02 pm »

A) geurilla it up in this business. Norris will fall. They always do.

Also, well written back story stuff. Nicely done.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2015, 02:56:43 pm »

C. Because fuck that. America is a fucken wasteland now, especially with most of the crops gone, there will be lean years, better to go to europe, were good experienced soldiers come in handy as mercenaries. Then when we have our mercenary outfit we come back and help Carter if she is still alive that is.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2015, 03:09:14 pm »

C. Because fuck that. America is a fucken wasteland now, especially with most of the crops gone, there will be lean years, better to go to europe, were good experienced soldiers come in handy as mercenaries. Then when we have our mercenary outfit we come back and help Carter if she is still alive that is.

She won't be. Besides a high risk assasination mission sounds like what naked snake would do. An we all know how Big Boss turned out to be the best Merc. ever. Hell the fucker has a Nuke at his base to scare the U.S and the USSR.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14