Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: 23rd century botony! (A wild sequel appears!)  (Read 20803 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: 23rd century capitalism! (Distance from halls of power intensifies)
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2015, 03:10:22 pm »

What? Who is Big Boss and who is Naked Snake? O_o

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2015, 03:19:15 pm »

I gotta say, I was not expecting surrender to be such a popular choice.

C. Because fuck that. America is a fucken wasteland now, especially with most of the crops gone, there will be lean years, better to go to europe, were good experienced soldiers come in handy as mercenaries. Then when we have our mercenary outfit we come back and help Carter if she is still alive that is.

Just in case you haven't guessed... europe is not exactly doing great either.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2015, 03:26:42 pm »

C. Because fuck that. America is a fucken wasteland now, especially with most of the crops gone, there will be lean years, better to go to europe, were good experienced soldiers come in handy as mercenaries. Then when we have our mercenary outfit we come back and help Carter if she is still alive that is.

I thought my custom suggestion of infiltration and assasination was winning. Did i miss something?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_3:_Snake_Eater

Check up on that links plot. Basically a guy code named snake kills a Soviet Colonel, kills his mentor who defected (although he didn't like it), and destroys a nuclear launching device known as metal gear. Which is sort of akin to the ANL.

Ninja'd. Well at least people want to fight. I'm okay with Guirilla fighting.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 03:44:52 pm by 3man75 »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2015, 03:27:17 pm »

A) geurilla it up in this business. Norris will fall. They always do.

Also, well written back story stuff. Nicely done.
+1.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: 23rd century capitalism! (Distance to mountainhomes lessens)
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2015, 04:04:04 pm »

I thought my custom suggestion of infiltration and assasination was winning. Did i miss something?

Derp, reading comprehension fail on my part, I thought you meant surrender with the unit then try to become an assassin.  Although Boromir wants you to slightly elaborate on your plan or I'm not going to consider it a real suggestion:

I mean... a guy in Norris' position doesn't exactly invite strangers in for tea without checking their credentials...

Okay vote tally right now:

2 for assasin  (3man75,  hawk132)
2 for guerrilla (playergamer, orzak)
2? for cave dweller (UkrainianRanger, ghazkul)
1? for Europe (ghazkul)

Ghazkul seemed to mean europe but he said "C" which is heading for the caves
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:08:46 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 23rd century capitalism! (Proximity to Mountainhomes Intensifies)
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2015, 04:37:06 pm »

In my mind General Norris is haivng the 3rd armour moving from another location. That invovles setting up camps or taking over small outposts.

Us and the small unit would walk in and pretend to be traders selling food to the troops and gas (were good at fencing). We'll have someone that we can trust do the bartering and keep the attention of the guards on them while we sneak out from the back of the trading caravan and into Norris's tent. Then shoot him with a tranquilized weapon and then go back to the caravan as stealthily as we had left it.

Then we'll move out before anyone notices the General just go nipped. At no point do we talk to him rather we just sell to his grunt soldiers who are probally hungry and in need of gas for their tanks/trucks.

With him dead the army will have to move back because their legitimacy is dead. Nor can they pin the blame on anyone specific since no one knows exactly who did it. Colonel Carter gets promoted and we become a Mercenary CEO with Carter giving us her approval. It's always nice for a General to like you for that "back in the day you saved my bacon".

Lermfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2015, 04:43:48 pm »

All I'm going to say is, "WHOA-OHHHHH!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_3:_Snake_Eater

Check up on that links plot. Basically a guy code named snake kills a Soviet Colonel, kills his mentor who defected (although he didn't like it), and destroys a nuclear launching device known as metal gear. Which is sort of akin to the ANL.
MGS3 Snake Eater is the first in the series as far as story goes. Shagohod is not a Metal Gear. It is nuclear-capable, but far from a Metal Gear. The first Gear doesn't come around until the late 80s or early 90s, after Big Boss becomes a monster.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2015, 04:55:24 pm »

It's a bit putting the cart before the horse though...  You dont even know where the man is, he could be in DC or gone back to Columbia for all you know.  He's gonna have bodyguards.  (Carter was alone because she was running for her life but Norris is on the up and up.)  Military camps dont generally let people wander around the officers quarters without ID.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2015, 05:00:58 pm »

Fuck it everybody wants to join Carter, fine...lets join Carter then...

Herpaderp, just noticed i meant D not c...ohwell. Anyhooow Carter gets my vote simply because sticking this shit out will be hilarious fail especially since im wondering how mainic wants to bring us back to a CEO position of a Private Security firm from being guerillas in the Wastelands of the US.

Also yes i guessed that Europe is a Wasteland, but since Europe is less prone to complete desertification than the US (Great Plains Dustbowl and half of it being already a desert), i had hoped for somewhat more stable if more warlike conditions...basically back to the Middle Ages for Europe...except with more snow and nuclear winter (seeing as a nuclear war would prolly melt the pole caps, cool the gulf stream and cause eternal winter-> at least in Europe)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2015, 05:09:17 pm »

im wondering how mainic wants to bring us back to a CEO position of a Private Security firm from being guerillas in the Wastelands of the US.

When did I ever say you were going to be a CEO? :p
These days, it takes a bit of a more hands on approach.
spaceflight is probably going to be a bit outside your starting budget

I mean, you can call yourself CEO if you want.
XD

You guys still liking the choice of Private Security?  It's not like you can go back in time and be born into wealth and privilege but you could change your starting investments.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 05:13:50 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2015, 05:22:17 pm »

IMO, Armaments can be a nice switch.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2015, 05:28:14 pm »

nah. I like this just fine,

Besides, it's post apocalyptic. We've bounced back from worse. We're building back story for someone on the rise. Carter is not the main character, she's part of our backstory.

Get it together man.

Also, America is the Breadbasket of the world. the desertification in game was due to nuclear holocaust and worse. Sit back, relax, and learn your future history. We'll figure out what's what as we go.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2015, 05:46:05 pm »

nah. I like this just fine,

Besides, it's post apocalyptic. We've bounced back from worse. We're building back story for someone on the rise. Carter is not the main character, she's part of our backstory.

Get it together man.

Also, America is the Breadbasket of the world. the desertification in game was due to nuclear holocaust and worse. Sit back, relax, and learn your future history. We'll figure out what's what as we go.

It has been done before in history where General's bodyguards fail to detect an assassin or they fit in by taking someones ID. Hell were in the same army so no one can tell our no name face/ID from the other grunts. But okay.

I'll go with A since it'll be nice to see this guerrilla war through. Plus who wouldn't want to work for someone who fought in an insurgency campaign against a larger more disciplined army with tanks?

Hell most Mercs. are on their own in actuality so having a boss who can give you some advice would be nice.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2015, 06:00:55 pm »

ptw

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
23rd century capitalism! (We are heading up. Literally.)
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2015, 11:33:29 pm »

-----------------------------------
“Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.”

The day the General came in from the west, Colonel Bose called your company into the mess hall tent.  You looked around and saw that your company is down to about a platoons worth of soldiers, demoralized and hungry.

The Colonel was blunt, times were hard and they wouldn't get easy soon.  There food wouldn't last long split among everyone who was left.  Those who wanted to could take two weeks of food and head east.  The General stepped forward to speak and you could still see the injuries from that morning with some nasty looking corrosion from the atmosphere exposure she took.  She thanked the troops in few words and said she didn't think anyone could have done more.  After that she had nothing left to say.  There was an awkward silence as soldiers started slipping on their helmets, getting their rations and leaving.  There were a lot of faces you never saw again.  After a while, just a handful of you were left lingering around with the General and Colonel.  Feeling like someone needed to say something you spoke loud enough for everyone to hear.
"What time do we break camp heading west?"
The pair of them stared for a second, as if amazed you knew how to speak.  The general bit her lip before she answered "2200 sharp, got to get a good night's march in before the eyes in the sky realize we're gone."
It was a hard trip through the mountains but the old hands of the 17th knew this land.  They pointed out the familiar sights to one another while the new inductees from the National Guard like you just tried to keep up.  They didn't mind taking their times to help the Guardsmen keep up though.  You'd stopped being packmules a long time ago in Wichita.  Now you were men and women who'd been through hell together.  After a couple nights marching you arrive at a box canyon just before dawn.  You hunker down for the day but one of the old 17th hands tells you to take a good look at the sun; you wont be seeing it for a while.  You and a few other guardsmen check the satellite tables to make sure it's in the clear then head back to the summit. 

You take one last long look towards the east and the morning sun.  You stare at the land that might have given you plenty but now is nothing but poison.  You see the sun for one last time and then it's time to make the last march and head underground.

There are mining tunnels in the Rocky Mountains.  You had known that, but you'd never realized just how damn many there were.  The caves ran for more kilometers then you could count.

You lost track of time as you walked single file along endless mining tunnels with old broken rails.  You realized that this tunnel was longer then even the corridors that looped around the city limits of Boulder.  You used to think that the cities were the greatest structures ever built by mankind.  As you walked along the century old passageways you were amazed by what the world must have been like before, that people would make something as large as these tunnels and then not even remember them.  Finally you arrived at a space that isn't man made.

For someone who spent most of their life in the city, the wide open caverns felt like being back outdoors.  And the old hands from the 17th said it wasn't even the biggest cavern.

Despite the amazing size of the cavern, there wasn't much time to explore.  There would be months of hard work ahead of you to stay alive.  Staying alive meant growing a yeast crop before the K-concentrate ran out.  That meant heading back into the old mining tunnels and finding coal for the yeast then extracting that coal with improvised tools.  There were long hours of back breaking work stirring the plastic barrels that were all you had for yeast vats.  Artillery rounds needed to be disassembled with crude tools to get at the life giving phosphorus they contained.  Communications had to be run through kilometers of corridor so that scouts on the outside could talk with base camp and listen in to broadcasts from the outside world.  But it was work with a purpose and that purpose kept you going and maybe kept you sane.

Finally after months, optimism started to return to the camp.  The yeast had warded away the spectre of starvation.  You'd be alright until you ran out of phosphorus.  There were just under a thousand of Carter's Renegades so you should be able to last a few years.  And the communications team finally got you patched in to a fiber optic cable.  You went from being completely in the dark about the outside world to suddenly having the entire internet at your disposal.

It's a metaphor

Looking through the old news it became apparent that Norris had given half hearted chase to your rebels for a couple days but had soon pulled back.  He wasn't really even interested in Boulder, he was already looking towards the next fight.  The President had belatedly questioned General Norris' attack on Carter and Mendoza but didn't rescind the arrest warrant on Carter.  The entire four state region of Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas was declared under martial law by Presidential decree.  But the President didn't have troops on the ground to actually enforce the decree.  Norris was openly defying the presidential order.  Another civil war was brewing, this one nationwide.

A few of the troops talked about helping in the fight against General Norris but there wasn't much you could do and as Carter put it "Fuck the president, he can rot in hell."  There was nothing to do but watch from the sidelines.  Norris called for President White to negotiate and resolve the crisis peacefully but while he said that on the airwaves, the rebellions in Louisiana and Missouri suddenly had a surge of manpower in the form of "volunteers" from the Norris camp.  With his administration looking weak, President White flew out to the border states to try and resolve the crisis.  In news that might have shocked you a couple years ago, President White was kidnapped by his own generals while visiting the Baton Rogue state house.  White was impeached in absentia and lacking a quorum in the electoral college, Congress declared a new president by acclimation...

Cordell Norris, 127th President of the United States

It was not the happiest night in the world when you got news of General Norris' inaugeration.  It was probably a good thing no one at Cavern Forge (as you called your new home) had any alcohol or things might have gotten really ugly.

The next day, you got summoned to a briefing with the General.  You were surprised, Generals dont usually brief Corporals.

The general didn't have anything to say about the election but she said that it was time to send an expedition back to topside.  Cavern Forge wasn't going to starve anytime soon but to do anything more then survive the 17th needed supplies.  Norris was distracted so now was the perfect time to start sending teams back to the surface.  When it came to rusting up supplies, you were the officer for the job.  By the way, congratulations on your promotion, Lieutenant.  Take a couple days to come up with your mission plan and tell me who you need for the job.

You return to your quarters with your head spinning from the promotion from lowly Corporal to officer.  What's the plan going to be... Lieutenant?

A) No plan at all, you've noticed that every major decision in your life so far has been you going with your first option so now you are reduced to literally living in a cave, eating goddamn fungus so you need to STOP PICKING A EVERYTIME
B) The fighting in the east means that Norris' troops aren't expecting an attack from the west.  Organize a strike team to go scout the surface and find a military target that has what we need.  Then make a commando raid and take what we want by force
C) There are people who have been living in these mountains a lot longer then we have.  We have abundant manpower and could offer them protection from Bandits and Federal troops in exchange for their assistance
D) Norris isn't paying any attention at all to Colorado.  We could send teams in to Boulder and Grand Junction and make contact with the gangs there.  They need mercenaries and we can deliver cans of whoop ass by the truckload.
E) There's no point in exposing ourselves to Norris' troops.  We need supplies and we need to undermine his regime.  The way to do both of those is to take the food that is owed us from the civilian population in west Kansas.  Norris will look weak and we get what we need without a fight.
F) Other suggestions
G) Other other suggestions, sky is the limit
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 11:39:15 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14