Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: 23rd century botony! (A wild sequel appears!)  (Read 20976 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: 23rd century capitalism! (I got friends in low places)
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2015, 07:40:48 am »

three thousand of our folks are sitting in penal companies, which propably means they have been selected for mine clearing duty with their bare feet or some such shit.

A) is the answer. They'll bring back our folks.

also maniac did you get so fed up with our a) choosing that you took the morally right choice to b) and now we're still choosing A)?
I think he just eliminated the morally right choices altogether.

A.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2015, 07:56:22 am »

I think he just eliminated the morally right choices altogether.

There were never morally right choices.  I just was narrating through the eyes of a self-righteous 18 year old and now I'm narrating through the eyes of a jaded 23 year old.

Some choice are perhaps more immoral then others...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2015, 08:53:39 am »

Slightly adjusting my suggestion. It's still going to be A but I want to use our money and connections with that lady go get our comrades back from those penal forces.

Time to bring back the 17th as the most elite force of warriors Boulder has ever seen.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2015, 07:44:37 pm »

Bump

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2015, 06:46:49 am »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: 23rd century capitalism! (Back from the dead?)
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2015, 12:10:39 am »

It's beautiful looking out over Oldtown.  You can see everything you are going to conquer and burn to the ground...

Disappearing into the criminal underclass leaves you out of the action but it keeps you safe and gives you time to think.  Oldtown isn't organized so differently from the upper levels.  Up above you had the power structures like the city government, the infantry and the corporations.  Eash time you have the street people answering to the people who run the show like yourself and who in turn answer to the bosses like Carter, Indbur and Bennet.  It's all about raising the people who are loyal to the next level.  Every desk jockey in city hall wants to be appointed to the ward council.  Every store owner wants to get on the rationing committee and have a chance for real money.  You encourage loyalty to the group and the group can survive even if you kill off most of the leadership.  When Carter lost her war and the 17th was removed from Boulder, what was left of the national guard flocked to Cartwright because he was a soldier even if he was a moron.  So if you want to clean out Oldtown, you can't just take out most of the goons or take out most of the bosses.  Most of the 17th got trashed but that just made it so the strongest survived.  If the strongest survive, they'll be back to kick ass soon enough...

As you ponder your conquest, half a mile above you the politics are sorting themselves out.  Bose and Indbur are both dead and Bennet was clearly ready for the brief power vacuum.  A week after the mayor's tragic accidental death, Bennet, Shepherd, the new mayor and other leading citizens of the city are signing a new city charter in front of the cameras.  Their speeches inform you that Boulder City is now proud and independent.  Carter's return to the city and the appointment of Shepherd to the head of the national guard informs you that it's safe for you to come out of hiding.  When you meet Carter she is eager to get the 17th back into the fight to prove the usefulness to the city and get your brothers and sisters in arms liberated from the work camps.  However you have little trouble convincing Carter about the politics of the situation.  Back before the war, the 17th was strong and it ran the city.  Indbur knew that so that was why he was such an ass when you and Bose wanted to help him.  Build the 17th back up to it's former glory and give it a charismatic leader and pretty soon Carter would be back to bossing Indbur around.  Now Bennet is in charge.  Sure mayor Luiz is supposed to be in charge but the newly independent Boulder City has a new executive council controlling the purse strings and Bennet packed that council with her corporate cronies.  Bennet doesn't want a strong military ally any more then Indbur did and for the same reason.  To get your people back from the work camps, you need to play by Bennet's rules, that is to say corporate rules.  With Carter's permission, you start making arrangements.

Three weeks after Bose assassinated Indbur, you are in city hall, signing the incorporation paperwork for Tyler Private Security Services.  You recruit dozens of unemployed vets from the 17th and the city government allows for a "work release" program to let an equal number of your comrades out of the work camps.  The rumors that you have a lucrative contract signed with Bennet means the banks are willing to offer you millions of dollars in credit, enough to buy proper gear again.  It's corporate security crap, not good enough for atmospheric exposure but putting on real gear feels like having a skin again.

You inspect your newly formed private security force with pride.  These are men and women who have been through hell and can unleash that fury on their enemies.  They are just the tip of the spear of the massive campaign you have planned but they'll administer a mighty ass kicking for the opening chapter.  Ready to go, your forces board an elevator for Oldtown and you walk straight up to the Red Sands Arena, a notorious fighting ring that openly advertises it's fights to the death.  You ignore the doors and instead create yourself a new entrance out of a wall, stride right into the penthouse of the crimelord Wilson Hu and unload a clip of automatic ammunition into the ceiling by way of salutation.  Screams of terror fill the suite and the various slaves and hanger-oners flee the room.  Soon the civilians are gone, leaving you and your hit squad staring across a disheveled room at Hu and his enforcers.  Hu speaks first.
"What the fuck do you think you are doing?  This is Oldtown.  There are rules here.  You toy soldiers aren't welcome here."
You dont bother to raise your voice in reply to Hu's question.  "I am here from the electric company, citizen."
"Is this a fucking joke?  I'm a dues paying member of the Syndicate.  I have Netan on speed dial."
"Yes, that is what I am counting on.  Please call mister Netan and ask him if he wants to pay his overdue electric fees."
"You want me to call Anthony Netan and ask him about overdue electric fees."
"That is correct."
"Do you have a deathwish?  Netan owns this city."
You snap your fingers and a bullet whizzes past each one of Hu's ears.

"Make the call before I decide you are no use to me."
Hu fumbles for his cell phone, makes a call and then stammers an apology.  "...these fucking lunatics are asking if you intend to pay a goddamn electric bill... yeah I told them that... I have no fucking clue how..."  The cell phone goes silent and Hu stares at a moment before summarizing.  "He says no."
We hit a toggle on your radio and relay a message topside.  "Alright, Shepherd.  We have kicked the hornets nest.  Commence Operation Infinite Shitstorm."
The ground rumbles and the lights flicker then go out.  Outside the windows, the glow of the city fades as a blackout rolls out over Oldtown.  Hu's enforcers curse in confusion as a flashbang detonates.  Your men are of course properly equipped and aren't troubled.  Instead they simply start shooting.  It's over in seconds.

You spread out among the room, handcuffing the living but unconscious criminals.  Tranquilizers usually aren't worth the bother but you want these men alive, they're not just bounties now, they're property.  You exit the way you came in and see that not one light is shining in Oldtown.

Carrying the unconscious prisoners on your backs you proceed to the elevators.  A confused crowd has gathered around.  The elevators have stopped working and the doorways are all sealed.  Of course that's not a problem for you, a few warning shots disperse the crowd and your emergency override allows your men and prisoners to exit Oldtown while leaving everyone else trapped below.

Next comes the payout, the first of many you hope.  Bennet had promised you a few bucks for the arrests but that isn't the important thing.  The important thing is that you are the proud owner of sixty percent of the shares of the defunct electric utility that no one in Old Town has paid for years.  Oldtown doesn't even bother with dollars, food vouchers are the only currency worth anything down there.  There are a few legal pretexts to bother with but these men stole from you and can't pay you back... in the newly Free City of Boulder that means one of two things, either they work off their debts in the work camps or they're no use to anyone...

With the opening shots of your war fired, you prepare to head back into Oldtown again and again and again.  The criminal scum is cold and in the dark and soon to be hungry.  Section by section you will siege them out.  Weeks of fighting turns into months as you ruthlessly carve a path through the most lucrative real estate in Oldtown, arresting entire neighborhoods and letting the judges sort the innocent from the guilty.  Tyler Private Security Services grows.  You cut deals with the other security firms to provide muscle for the "pacified regions".  You rule like an emperor over a ghosttown of scarcely inhabited neighborhoods, populated by the small trickle of people released back out of the camps.  But the Syndicates are starved of territory and the executive council eagerly looks forward to when they can start putting paying tenants back into Oldtown.  Bennet promises you that when you succeed, you will have a seat on the council.

-----------------------------------

Netan stares at you across the conference table.  The Syndicate enjoys the finer things in life as much as the upper story crowd.  You run a finger across it.  Oak, finely varnished.  You think back to Cassandra and wonder where the tree this table came from was grown.  Netan is prattling on about an offer you have no interest in.

"... you have no reason to doubt my resolve and you can imagine how many of these attacks my men can make."
"Yeah, the problem, Natty-bud, is I just dont give a shit.  Go ahead, set off more bombs, kill a few more people.  There will be plenty of survivors to get me paid and you aren't killing anyone important.  In fact, please keep setting those bombs off.  I love having the city police round up and execute any of your men that slip through my net."
"You are bluffing."
"You can think what you want, Netan.  But my one and only offer is that you get the fuck out of my city"
"... I think, unfortunately, that I believe you."
"Then you know you must accept."
"I would rather die."
"-"

As the explosion tosses your body across the room, you briefly contemplate how a suicide bomb inside the body would not have triggered the weapon detectors that protected this negotiation room.  There is blackness and a bright light...

A) Head into the light
B) Head away from the light
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2015, 04:42:51 am »

B) Uh head away from the light? -> we didn't die in battle so this can't be anything good. If we go there they sent us to some burning shithole. Better to be alive than that. 'Sides we only go when theres valkyries that show us the way.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2015, 08:53:32 am »

Death on a negotiating table is death on the truest form of battlefield.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:24:10 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2015, 09:54:18 am »

Death on a negotiating table is death on the truest form of battlefield.

I guess.

B) It's time to launch a retaliation whatevers left of Netans gang and his familly. They are NOT going to have agreed to what he did today because although we can't get him, we can get them. An we can do it while breathing through tubes.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2015, 10:59:31 am »

The light.  The light is bad.  You must go away from the light.
"...li-....li-...ba-"
"He's trying to say something!"
"Just keep calm Tyler, it's going to be alright."
"...li-...ba-"
"Hold him down tight!  The internal bleeding is bad."
"Where are those damn sedatives?"
"...li-"
Just go away from the light, Franklin, just go away from the light.
Suddenly a wave of comfort washes over you, sweeping away the pain.
Just go away from the light, Franklin.
The light fades away and you go back into darkness.

You wake up in the city infirmary, unable to move anything beneath your neck.  The pain is pretty bad but the medics give you morphine whenever you want which helps.  Apparently the sedatives are necessary to keep your thrashing from killing you.  It was touch and go for a while.

The fog in your brain slowly fades and you start learning what happened.  It was a suicide attack done by someone who wanted you and Netan out of the picture.  They couldn't get close enough to the table however.  With you and Netan both wounded the negotiation turned into a bloodbath as both sides opened fire.  Your guys won, obviously.  Now Netan is a prisoner, and breathing through a tube.  With him out of the way the Syndicates have splintered, launching attacks on your men and on each other.  The desperation of Oldtown your blockade has created has reached a fever pitch.

The medics refuse to allow you to interrogate the prisoner but a message is relayed to you.  Netan still refuses to accept exile from the city.  He demands you give let him die or accept a negotiated surrender.  His men will turn in their weapons and allow the national guard to return to Oldtown.  The people of Oldtown will start obeying the city enforced labor ordinances again.  However the Syndicate loyalists have to be accommodated in any arrangement, city bureaucrats from topside can't be running the show in Oldtown, Netans men have to be in positions of power.

The mayor wont like the city administration getting cut out but the Bennet has run roughshod over the mayor's office ever since Indbur kicked the bucket.  The Executive Council will love being able to reinstall rent paying tenants in Oldtown and getting those people back into the labor system.  If the executives heard about this deal they would certainly go over your head to accept it.  If you tried to resist the deal they would just put the other mercenary companies in charge.  For this reason your people wisely aren't letting anyone see Netan or sharing any news of the deal.  It would be profitable to accept this deal but Netan isn't going to just roll over and play nice, the Syndicates will still be there to cause trouble...

A) Accept Netans offer and put an end to the bloodshed
B) Reject Netans offer and give him the swift death he requests
C) Reject Netans offer but keep him around for now.
D) Reject Netans offer but release him as a gesture of good faith, he didn't violate the ceasefire at the negotiations and you are a man of honor
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2015, 11:42:36 am »

since this meeting was in a private place, there were only Netans and our own men there. I presume we know our men apart so it can't be one of ours.so the suicide man was placed there in Netans cohorts.

furthermore we now face the problem of an angry population. Of course we can all shoot them to pieces, but they already started suicide bombing. Our. Men. thats bad. That's really bad. If people are desperate enough to do this, they will continue to kill us if Netan is kept there or if we kill him. And as much as i hate suicide bombers there is no good tactic for them besides mass murdering Oldtown...which isn't exactly what the CEOs want.

The other possibility is that we accept Netans offer giving us the problem that Netan is now one of our customers...meaning we get some really fun shit assignments.

Then there is the thing of releasing him and denying him...which propably will lead to the above...

all pretty shitty choices.

Sooo just as an idea how about this one: we accept his offer and before he departs he gets his own suicide bomb implanted without his knowledge. When he meets with his cohorts...he goes boom and takes the Syndicate leadership with him. Just spitballing here at the moment.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2015, 12:02:10 pm »

I presume we know our men apart so it can't be one of ours.so the suicide man was placed there in Netans cohorts.

Netan's people are drawn from the entire Syndicate.  The Syndicate has competing interests.  And keep in mind that a very similar thing happened topside with Bose and Indbur.  Bose and Indbur were on the same side... until they weren't.

And as much as i hate suicide bombers there is no good tactic for them besides mass murdering Oldtown...which isn't exactly what the CEOs want.

The CEOs would prefer a supply of indentured labor but they really want that Oldtown real estate.  You have two means of income.  One is the indentured labor of the people you capture alive.  The other is the bounties that Bennet is paying per section of Oldtown wrestled from the Syndicates.  A big chunk of the profit from the labor goes to you since you are the one they are in default to.  The bounties paid for capturing city blocks on the other hand are just a small fraction of the profits that territory is worth to the Executive Council in the long term.  As such the Executives dont care as much for the number of people as for the amount of territory and how soon you can end the fighting.

Netan is now one of our customers...meaning we get some really fun shit assignments.

Well Tylers Private Security is the most elite of the private security outfits in Boulder so Netan wouldn't offer you a job unless it was valuable enough to justify hiring the best.

Sooo just as an idea how about this one: we accept his offer and before he departs he gets his own suicide bomb implanted without his knowledge. When he meets with his cohorts...he goes boom and takes the Syndicate leadership with him. Just spitballing here at the moment.

Oooooh, that's pretty evil.  It would be a bit risky and it would definitely point fingers back to you.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2015, 12:35:11 pm »

Okay so the CEOs don't give a fuck who lives and dies...that is...excellent. My type of job.

Uhm with the fun shit assignments i meant that he would make sure that we are getting handed to some suicide missions so he can take revenge on us.

anyway:

E) They want to play Hardball with suicide bombers? fine. Accept Netans offer, plant a suicide bomb in him without him noticing...oh and in all of his cronies we need to release...wait for the right moment...boom. When that business is finished mop up the Syndicate, but this time properly. Enough of the niceties, we have enough people in the labor camps that we dont need to care about new prisoners. Make sure they drown in their own blood. Show them what pure terror means. If faced with a guerilla force you can only work effectively if you don't have to take care of a civilian population. Since that is not the case here: Flamethrowers, Chemical Weapons and street by street cleansings till they understand that there is no conditional surrender to be had. That we don't care how many die, that we don't give a single, flying, fuck if we have to walk over mountains of dead people. Oldtown is the prize. Not its people. They are an optional goal. If they want to resist they will see what they will get from that.

^ this can only end well.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2015, 12:45:34 pm »

ghaz, you read that wrong. the executives are getting far more out of the ground then we are, whereas we're the ones profiting from taking prisoners.

D.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2015, 12:56:51 pm »

Just gonna toss a few population numbers around.  Boulder has a population of over two million people, swelled by a trickle of refugees from Colorado Springs and the east.  Oldtown is the ground levels near the middle of the city and the upper subterranean parts of the city and had about five hundred thousand people before the siege started.  Of those about 50,000 were members of the Syndicate in one capacity or another.  Two years of conflict has shrunk the population of Oldtown to about three hundred thousand people.  About fifty thousand of those managed to get admitted into the relatively law abiding population of the upper levels.  Some of those were sleeper agents who started striking back with terrorism.  About fifty thousand have ended up in the work camps, displacing pretty much the entire population previously in the camps.  Most of the rest have remained in the areas of Oldtown that have been captured by the mercenary gangs and are under city government administration again.

Uhm with the fun shit assignments i meant that he would make sure that we are getting handed to some suicide missions so he can take revenge on us.

He wouldn't be your boss.  The opposite actually.  Netan is offering to bring the Syndicate into the city administration, under Mayor Luiz.  Mayor Luiz answers to the Executive Council.  Sealing this peace deal would result in you getting a seat on the Executive Council.  The Executives represent the monnied interests if the city that took over after Indbur died.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14