Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Battle Arena: Gladiators of Chaos (OOC and Sign ups)  (Read 5681 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Arena: Gladiators of Chaos
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 03:33:15 am »

MOONLIT, your stats add up to 30. I bumped starting stats to 49 (for some reason, I thought I had 7 stats. that would have made 7 average).

I'm gonna assume the following correction until you post a change.
8 8 8 2 2 2
13 12 12 4 4 4

+2 to climbing, +1 to playing, +1 to scratching, +1 to surviving great falls
-2 to combat, -1 to intimidation, -1 to cooperation, -1 to fighting dogs
I just noticed this. it's fine, it means you'll have a stacked penalty against "dogs" though.

Okay, here's my character, it may be a little on the silly side but then again we've got your garden variety cat and bear, so... Anyway, the race description is obviously just my own interpretation of the race that I've made to use for this forum game, so while it's not "True" to the original folkloric creature but is more usable for the game.

Skills: Leaving painful scratches: +2, climbing: +1, grip: +1, perception: +1.
Reading: -2, running: -1, perception after being blinded: -1, weapon-usage: -1.
Original interpretations are preferred. I can't be asses to go reading or watching or listening to source material.

As for these skills, perception after being blinded is a situational malus. Everyone with eyes gets that. Now, if instead the eye only worked half the time (depending on a roll by me), then it would be a balanced skill, because it would have equal chance of favoring or harming you in all circumstances.

I gave myself a combat skill, since that seems kind of important.
If it's too vague/powerful I could drop it to a +1.
it's approved. you're all set.

Hmm, hmm, pah, can't come up with anything original.

Spoiler: stuff (click to show/hide)
Blunt and crush seem like the same thing, what's the difference?
approved as is, but I'll wait for your skills.

Blunt is when you are hit by anything non sharp. Crush is when you are squeezed between two objects, like a nut in a nutcracker, or a human skull in an alligator's jaws. Or a kitten in an avalanche. Or a bear in a philosophy debate between Plato and Socrates.

We have enough players to get started. Get your skills set the way you want and prepare for a wild ride. I'd like to start this afternoon i possible, but will wait if the group needs / wants a little more time. Start thinking about your next character, while I start crafting your arena and opponents.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 04:16:34 am by Ozarck »

blazing glory

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 04:22:57 am »

Added some basic skills and made him an alcoholic because I'm not creative today.
Blunt is when you are hit by anything non sharp. Crush is when you are squeezed between two objects, like a nut in a nutcracker, or a human skull in an alligator's jaws. Or a kitten in an avalanche. Or a bear in a philosophy debate between Plato and Socrates.
Crush seems a bit too specialized but it's your show.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 07:11:40 am »

Cats, then bears, then
Spoiler: Krink the Kea (click to show/hide)
((if that's the case, then crush damage is half of normal damage that squeeze you between 2 objects(eg. biting deals cut+crush or piercing+crush, landslides deal blunt+crush), right?))
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

blazing glory

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 07:17:45 am »

You monster, bringing Keas into this.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 07:30:59 am »

Just be ready for upside-down trees killing elves.

I'm joking.
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 08:01:25 am »

Just be ready for upside-down trees killing elves.

I'm joking Giving the GM ideas.

Added some basic skills and made him an alcoholic because I'm not creative today.
Crush seems a bit too specialized but it's your show.

it might be. We'll see.

Cats, then bears, then
Spoiler: Krink the Kea (click to show/hide)
((if that's the case, then crush damage is half of normal damage that squeeze you between 2 objects(eg. biting deals cut+crush or piercing+crush, landslides deal blunt+crush), right?))
Nah, crush will affect internal organs and break hard shells and stuff. I mentioned nuts, right? If you are in the jaws of a velociraptor, first you will receive piercing, then tearing (cut) then crushing, for example. If a rhino rams you then tramples you, you will receive blunt from the ram and crush from the trample.

You have 51 in stats currently. Flying is innate. You have no skills then?

I had intended for the eye thing to always give me a +1 to perception until blinded, which would cancel out the +1 and also give the character a -1 to it until the blindness wore off, but now that I think of it, that's silly, so I've changed the blindness thing into a -1 for intimidation. I have some questions though.

Us players are expected to have a malus skill to go with every bonus skill, that makes sense. What I'm having trouble with is coming up with malus skills that don't seem like joke ones, so is there any website or tip you could offer to help with that?

What does Will and Intelligence do, exactly?

In the game, if I wanted to make a character that can cast fireballs or has cryokinesis, what skills would be ideal for them, as they're non-physical?
I have no suggestions for websites or such for your maluses. oh wait. Maybe consult the GURPS (generic universal role playing system) handbook for some ideas. Or just ask here. I or another player can give suggestions. As for the jokingness of maluses, one of our humans has a plus to holding liquor and a minus to resisting beer, so they balance. If you have pluses to guns, grenades, heavy weapons, systems, hand to hand, perception, and dodge, and maluses to poetry, crayons, allergies to peanuts, and the ability to rhyme on purpose, I might object. Or you might be giving the gm ideas.

Will is strength of mind, resistance to intimidation, ability to impose your desires on a group, that kind of thing. Intelligence is ability to learn, quickness of thought and flexibility in uncertain situations. Knowledge governs memory, information about the world, and its applicaility.

as for spells, it depends on which type of magic you employ. A ew examples are: rite magic, spellcasting (like from a grimoire, which you'll need), alchemy, sympathetic magic, demon summoning, farseeing, innate magic (think pixies), wild magic, contractual magic, faith magic. They have varying degrees of power and varying side effects. And thee are examples off the top of my head. Others exist.

some magics use will, some use intelligence, some use knowledge (i.e spellcasting), some use constitution (hmm, didn't give you either a health or a constitution stat. Oh well, I'll figure it out in game), some use a mix.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Arena: Gladiators of Chaos (OOC and Sign ups)
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 03:08:01 pm »

In case you didn't see it, there's now an IC thread. Link is in the OP.

blazing glory

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 06:16:39 pm »

Your link is a spoiler, should probably fix that.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2015, 07:23:34 pm »

Your link is a spoiler, should probably fix that.
oh? oops.

So, uh, do we choose our weapons now? Also, hoping that H4zardZ1 starts out hurt, due to all his smashing into walls.
That sounds like an IC question. As for H4zardZ1, hmmmmmm.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 07:24:01 pm »

two little issues.
1) you only have 43 in stats
2) you have three +2 in skills and no corresponding -2s

also, there's no need to post your character in IC :P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 07:50:10 pm »

Has the actual arena event even started, or are we just derping around killing each other backstage? :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 08:22:59 pm »

I just put it in the IC because I mentioned a new charsheet. So I just felt like I should put it there.

I thought we had 49 points in total? Apparently not... (43+3*2=49) Eh, I'll add some more stuff in.
you get 49 points for stats only, and your skills must balance out to 0. I'll edit the OP later to make it clearer.

Has the actual arena event even started, or are we just derping around killing each other backstage? :P
Yes.

We haven't gotten to an actual arena, but the Arena has treated this as a legitimate combat. Well, two legitimate combats, actually. Oddly enough.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 09:05:03 pm »

you still only have 47 stat points spent. The negatives are fine, but your stealth minus is going to be broader than "in nature." Mostly because it would be hard to hide a big glowing blob of hot anywhere nonvolcanic, I think. Just make those two modifications and you're all set. I'll read you in when I can. right now, reading you in would simply crisp the others. We'll see what develops and I'll get you going, on way or another. Looks like this impromptu round of combat has wrapped, so I'll probably write up a transition tomorrow, a I haven't slept in a while and can't think much now.

I know the stats and dice rolls are a little wonky. In part that's because I am experimenting, and in part it's because I wanted it a little messy anyway. I hope you guys enjoy the mess, the death, and the setting. And stuff.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 09:13:47 pm »

I want the kitten to climb on my head. Then we can team up and be twice as adorable hilarious fearsome.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2015, 09:26:29 pm »

lol, will do.
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3