Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: North Carolina Annexes filthy southerners, next: the world  (Read 8938 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: North Carolina Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2015, 11:43:46 am »

I'd love to do a little canoe trip down the Eno, but right now it's been so dry the Eno is only about 6 inches deep along the section in the backyard. Can't even go tubing in that shallow of a water.
I should really watch what I say, considering the Eno was running at nearly twelve feet on Saturday morning. Went out yesterday after it had largely subsided, and chatted briefly with three guys going by in kayaks. I think that's the first time I've ever actually seen people on the river.

North Carolina escaped the worst of the flooding, unlike our poor Palmetto cousins to the south. The state's agriculture industry took a heavy toll though -- peanut and sweet potato crops are likely to be largely ruined. At least we didn't have a few million drowned turkeys like we did with Hurricane Floyd.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2015, 11:57:57 am »

I think it rained every day up here last week.  Was amazing, very windy too but not much thunder.
NC weather:  You want water?  I'll give you water!!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2015, 12:45:03 pm »

Up in Mountainhilllandmanplace, I've been dodging the spontaneous rivers formed on roads and slopes by the eternally downward angle of the land. Fortunately, ASU did not float away in the water like it did before the more advanced drainage systems were installed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 01:02:01 pm »

Yeah, my GF's son started at App this semester, he reported much the same thing. Mountain flooding is really treacherous, because it sort of comes out of nowhere. Driving along it's damp road, damp road, damp road, VERTICAL RIVER.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 01:05:26 pm »

I'm sorry MSH. ASU has been washed away. You're currently floating downriver with it. This entire conversation is your last desperate hallucination before being washed out to sea. Be at peace. The sharks are near.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2015, 01:10:29 pm »

I was kinda hoping Joaquin would scoop up all the sharks that have been plaguing the coast this summer, and then drop them in New Jersey. You know...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2015, 01:18:47 pm »

Honestly, the worst part about sharkicanes isn't the sharkicane itself, it's all the sharknadoes it spawns. Sharkicane may bury a great white fin deep into a concrete wall, but a sharknado'll just straight up eat your entire bloody house. Widely dispersed sharkorologic phenomena are broadly speaking somewhat survivable if you're caught in them, but the concentrated stuff is just merciless. That many sharks moving at that great a speed in a comparatively small area has a freakish synergistic death spiral thing going on. S'brutal as all hell.

Incidentally, MSH, you don't want to look out the window right now. It will be better if you don't see it coming.
Ask not!
Ask!

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2015, 03:17:24 pm »

Apparently South Carolina has it bad.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2015, 05:10:00 pm »

Never lived there, but I used to spend summers down there for most of my childhood visiting with my Aunt, Uncle, and Cousin in Ashville. Had a lot of fun there in the mountains.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2015, 06:06:04 pm »

California would love to have all the excess water you guys have. Preferrably not all at once though.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2015, 06:15:03 pm »

California would love to have all the excess water you guys have. Preferrably not all at once though.

Eh, just dump it up in the Sierras during the winter. That'd be ideal.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2015, 06:22:42 pm »

Last I paid attention cali is probably going to be dealing with fairly substantial floods of its own within a year a two, actually. Nino's been keeping some stuff away, more or less, or something along those lines. Important bit to take away is that the metaphorical dam has pretty good odds of breaking soon-ish. Then they get to have state drowning hydrologic outlooks, too :3
Ask not!
Ask!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2015, 06:31:53 pm »

Just watched a weather report indicating that over a 4-day period, a large chunk of South Carolina got in excess of 25 inches of rain, roughly half their average annual rainfall.

Or to put it another way, the ENTIRE annual average rainfall of Paris, Frankfurt or Beijing.

poketwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: North Carolina SUCKS Thread
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2015, 06:34:27 pm »

NC SUCKS! GAMECOCKS MARGINALLY BETTER THAN PANTHERS. SOUTH CAROLINA ROCKS!

RUSH'S IS BEST LOCAL FAST FOOD RESTAURANT. STEVE.FM IS QUALITY RADIO. WE ARE THE TRUE INHERITORS TO EVERYTHING SOUTH OF THE PLOTOMATIC! GLORY TO NEO-CAROLINA!

OUR WATER SHALL PREVENT ALL NUCLEAR DROUGHTS!

GLORY TO COLUMBIA-CHARLESTON!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2015, 06:58:11 pm »

Don't you mean,

"Blurble blurble.

Blurble blurble blurble.

Blurble blurble.

Blurble."

?

I'd recommend not wasting your breath trying to shout. You'll need it to keep swimming.

Seriously though, good luck to worse carolina, even if this isn't their thread. Know a bunch of it seems to be having some water retention issues at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 07:01:28 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7