Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Sewi Jan! - A Toki Pona Game of Linguistic Magic  (Read 10990 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Sewi Jan! - A Toki Pona Game of Linguistic Magic
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2015, 08:24:16 am »

Lace one cake (fulfilling my quest).
(('Cake' is just the name of the white powder their mixing, not an actual cake; though I can see why that might not have been clear! Also, you might want to go re-read the exact wording of the quest.))

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2015, 08:36:11 am »

((And also read between the lines of where you are it seems))

Are there any free slots left?

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2015, 09:35:41 am »

Lace one cake (fulfilling my quest).
(('Cake' is just the name of the white powder their mixing, not an actual cake; though I can see why that might not have been clear! Also, you might want to go re-read the exact wording of the quest.))
In that case, don't make the drugs. Instead of reporting to the mages, walk out of the diner and tip the cops off to where the drug operation is.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2015, 09:57:25 am »

((You know, there was a hook for task #2. You could try to steal that money from the boss instead of bailing right away..))
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2015, 11:46:06 am »

Are there any free slots left?
Definitely. Just make up a character and you're free to jump in.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2015, 10:31:53 pm »

((You know, there was a hook for task #2. You could try to steal that money from the boss instead of bailing right away..))
Hm.

Say "Ken Ali", then pick up the money off of the boss's desk and return to the mages.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2015, 06:02:43 pm »

((Sorry for delay: been moving house this week!))

"Lawa ala."

Stop the truck from braking, and if possible, steering, so that it falls into the water. Hope the driver jumps out in time.
From your rooftop perch, you speak the words for controlling negation and focus on the brakes of the truck as it veers round the corner. The driver puts their foot down on the brakes and the brakes lock shut, the negating force for the truck activating without reprieve. The truck begins to jackknife towards the barrier and the driver spins the wheel as hard as she can. The truck spins and the rear slams into the barrier, smashing through its weakened struts and the back of the truck swings out over the river. The truck hangs there on the edge teetering precariously. The driver, panicked, begins to climb out the cab.

((What are the limitations to magic, beyond having to keep it secret? You said knowing more words gives it more power, but general pointers on use frequency, range and such would be nice.))
((Roughly, you can affect a single person or discrete object at your current level. The power scale isn't linear though. When you know more words, you'll be able to affect whole rooms, then buildings, cities, planets, universe etc. Frequency is just about speaking and focusing, so it depends how fast you can do that. Remember you can use most words as both a noun and a verb and they'll have different effects depending. You'll learn the limits by doing.))

Say "Ken Ali", then pick up the money off of the boss's desk and return to the mages.
You say the words for allowing everything and think of the money. The man in the mustard suit turns to the group assembled in front of the cutting bench. "Lucky day, it is," he says, "I'm calling it a night so you can take your slice early. Let's get this cleared up people!"

You move over to the desk and he hands you a solid stack of shilling notes. The others pack away the bags of powder into cases by the cart, some of them heading deeper underground, the rest heading back out the bathroom exit. They all take a stack of notes from the boss. You take off the protective gear and leave with the others before he changes his mind.

Counting out as you head back through the bathroom, there's £2,900 shillings here. You're just £100 short.

"Oh Lin, dearie, can you please help me spot Getty, thank you so very much."
Try to spot Getty, if I can't ask Lin where else she goes.
Lin starts to poke around the booths, looking for her friends. That's when you spot a familiar figure emerge from the restroom. It's Alurjo, leafing through a wodge of shilling notes. Before you can say anything Lin perks up.

"Getty!" she cries. A girl with bright green hair, eyebrows included, is coming out the restroom.

"Lin, what are you doing here?" she asks.

"I came with Sharayna," says Lin, "she's like a cool grandma."

"Listen, about earlier, I didn't mean..." Getty looks sheepishly at her feet. "Let's get out of here OK."

"Where should we go?" asks Lin, smiling but evidently out of depth in the bad part of town. She looks at you, as if for answers.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2015, 11:09:03 pm »

Wait for a moment and see what the driver is going to do.

If she leaves, go down there and dig a bit around the balance point so that the truck will fall.

If she doesn't leave and instead does something else, form a new plan of action. ((I.e. end the turn there so I can react accordingly.))

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2015, 11:35:01 pm »

Go home and retrieve the one hundred shillings I already have. Turn in the shilling quest.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2015, 06:24:31 am »

"Maybe we could go to Remembrance Park? It's always nice to go there, and just listen to nature."
Suggest going to Remembrance Park.
Ain't nobody got time for that.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2015, 10:47:41 am »

((Sorry about the long absence. I've been moving house and until today my computer was put in a weird position where it was uncomfortable to sit and write on for any length of time and I've only really just realised that's why I'd not felt inclined to make any lengthy forum posts. If people still want to continue, I do!))

Wait for a moment and see what the driver is going to do.
You wait for a moment and the driver climbs out of the cab and leaps free, rolling on the ground. With her weight no longer holding it in balance the truck teeters and then slides into the river. The driver stares at dismay at the bubbling water where her truck once was.

You hear a voice behind you, "Without that truck and the parts within it, watchboxes throughout the city won't be serviced. It may take a month for full replacements to be found. You have destroyed them without touching them, without being seen."

Another voice says, "Thirty of them?"

"Yes, the few watchboxes in the truck would have serviced fourfold their number in parts."

"Then it it is time," says a third voice. Three kulupu members appear on the rooftop out of the darkness, their faces still obscured by their dark robes.

"Repeat after us," they say as one. "Pimeja!"

"Pimeja," you say, the word strange on your tongue.

"Pimeja!" they repeat.

You feel the darkness of the night surround you as the say the word, your voice catching in your mouth and coming out a whisper.

"Pimeja... Pi... meja. Pimeja!"

You have learned Pimeja.

Go home and retrieve the one hundred shillings I already have. Turn in the shilling quest.
You ransack your savings, pulling out every last penny until finally you have enough. You race back to the rooftop and duck into the lair beneath the air conditioning units.

"Some believe there is a cost for each word we speak," says a voice in the darkness. A hooded figure in a red robe steps forward. It looks taller than the others you've seen, but equally obscured. "That each word sears its mark indelibly on our being. Others say that words are like breathing and that we should not fear to speak them. What is not doubted by any is that the words we know radiate from us, changing the world even in our silence. Do you have the money?"

You pass the figure the unmarked bills and the pile of change and it slowly counts. Finally, it says "This is sufficient. Focus on the money and repeat after me...

"Mani!"

"Money," you say. "No, that's not right. Meni. No... Mani!"

The bills in his hand seem to shine with an inner glow as you speak the word and understanding of wealth becomes a part of you.

You have learned Mani

"Maybe we could go to Remembrance Park? It's always nice to go there, and just listen to nature."
Suggest going to Remembrance Park.

You walk with them to Remembrance park. Memorials to the war dead mark every corner of the myriad wooded lanes of the park. The crater lake in its centre is lit up by lights around its edge in the colours of the city. The mechanised miniature fleets that act out the battle of Bombast Bay are asleep on their rails. Lin and Getty take turns skipping stones across to the little boats, Lin never misses. All around you the trees are filled with the soft cooing of birds. The three of you listen to the birds and talk a while about the day and in your presence Getty and Lin begin to realise more about themselves and each other.

"I didn't know about all that at the diner," says Lin after Getty speaks a while about how she's got pulled into a mess of dangerous jobs and conflicting loyalties.

"Yeah, I wanted to keep that away from you," says Getty. "What I like about you is you're not highly strung and dangerous, you're just calm. Mild. It's nice that in this mad world there are still people like that."

"Even friends can be strangers," says three voices behind you. It's the kulupu in their hooded robes. The girls don't notice them at all.

"It's past curfew," says Lin.

"I'll walk you back," says Getty, "It was nice meeting you Sharayna!"

You say your goodbyes and Lin leaves you with a telephone number. No sooner have they gone but the kulupu appear again.

"Words are powerful, but more powerful still is knowing when to use them. Often their presence uncalled upon our tongue is enough to have an effect. Are you ready?" they say as one.

You nod

"Olin!" they say.

You reflect on your long life and the people you have loved, many of them distant, many more dead. But the love remains. "Olin," you say. "Olin!"

You have learned Olin

The next day Sharayna, Shaon, Alurjo are summoned to the rooftop hideaway.

"You three disciples have travelled furthest along the path," the kulupu say together, "and it is time you learned a trick. While you are not yet powerful enough to teach each other your words, you can still work together."

One of them steps forward, carrying a small wooden box. The figure says, "Open!"

Nothing happens.

A second one steps forward and says, "Poki!"

Nothing happens.

Together they say "Open Poki!"

You can sense the power coming from the first then the second as they speak, and the box opens.

"Go forth with wisdom, sewi jan."

Spoiler: Quest List (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:50:32 am by notquitethere »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2015, 11:59:45 am »

"I have a quick and simple plan for task #3, which means it'll be neither. But how about we work together for one? Task #9 is simple enough if we combine our lexi, and it might open up the way for task #4 if we play our cards right."

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2015, 03:09:58 pm »

"Thank you all so much!"
With that, Sharayna had a mission on her mind. She felt she had to take Quest 1, so she could help others, learn what it means to feel happy.
Start walking over to the Plaza, with my cane.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:34:07 am by wipeout1024 »
Ain't nobody got time for that.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2015, 03:44:57 pm »

Hide in an alley, conjuring money on the sidewalk. Five seconds after someone picks it up and leaves, create more. Do this 50 times.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2015, 12:48:51 am »

"I'll take that as a no, then."

Find an elite restaurant that serves alcohol, but don't enter yet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]