Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: dorfgen, DFHack Legends exports to minecraft.  (Read 10917 times)

Thutmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dorfgen, DFHack Legends exports to minecraft.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 07:11:11 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64473.0

Thanks. I will look at it and see if I can get something similar to output information for generating the sites, though I wonder if at that point, it might be easier to try to just read from DF saves?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 07:16:53 am »

This is reading a running fortress, which is something quite well documented and understood at this point.

Spoiler: Dum de dum. (click to show/hide)

Thutmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 07:55:52 am »

This is reading a running fortress, which is something quite well documented and understood at this point.

Spoiler: Dum de dum. (click to show/hide)

this is supposed to generate the stuff as you move around in minecraft though, without needing to have DF running at the same time, if I wanted something which just mirrored DF in a 3d environment, I would use your Armok Vision.  I guess I could read from the running fortress and save it so that it can be generated in minecraft when that fortress is generated.

I also just got the generator working with more than 1 chunk/pixel, so once a stable way to make worlds more than 256 blocks tall exists, I can extend the world generator to more match the DF tile sizes.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 08:49:04 am »

Ah, yeah, fair enough.

Though I've always wanted to make a thing that teleports an adventurer to the needed location and converts that to minecraft, but that'd be really convoluted.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 11:25:37 am »

hmm okay, maybe i've misunderstood something when that MCversion was released...
now, do i understand correctly, that it is already possible to directly convert the DF world into MCworlds at maptile scale?
have you found a good way of converting them in 3x3x3 and still have all tiles work like in DF?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 12:09:36 pm »

Only thing you can't do is go diagonally between tiles.

Thutmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 12:35:44 pm »

hmm okay, maybe i've misunderstood something when that MCversion was released...
now, do i understand correctly, that it is already possible to directly convert the DF world into MCworlds at maptile scale?
have you found a good way of converting them in 3x3x3 and still have all tiles work like in DF?

Yesterday I got to the point where I can use practically any scale for embark tiles -> blocks, I think I will use a multiple of 51, it seems that the world map site exports are all 816x816, so to properly match in would require as such.  3 blocks/site maptile would be 153 blocks/embark pixel, which is doable, though currently very flat.

I am working on trying to get an expanded world working which can support up to 1000 or so blocks tall, I can get the server to know blocks are there, but so far they are not rendering, If I get this working, I can get the worlds to look a bit more impressive at that kind of scale.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 03:49:35 am »

what do you mean with "embark pixel"?
i'd like to try this out myself.
can i also wander through the pregenerated sites of other civilizations and/or monsters?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Thutmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 11:28:58 am »

what do you mean with "embark pixel"?
i'd like to try this out myself.
can i also wander through the pregenerated sites of other civilizations and/or monsters?

All of the maps are exported via legends mode.
The world map has approximately one pixel per tile for embarking (for a medium world which is 128x128, it seems to generate 2064 wide image, so it somehow finds an extra world tile). 

The sites list their locations by world tile, so they can be anywhere in a 16x16 embark tile range, without actually giving any better information about precision, this is giving some issues with roads which I will fix eventually.  For sites like towns, it exports a 816x816 pixel image, so each 51 pixels in that correspond to one pixel in the world maps.

I have yet to write the code for actually converting from the site images into a generated site in minecraft, and am using placeholder sites which are just vanilla things (vanilla villages, mob spawners, temples, witch huts, etc).  I will get around to more proper site generation once I get the taller worlds working, or I give up trying to make taller worlds work.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 01:01:33 pm »

okay, i understand now, that the data is converted to pixels as a method of storing it in a picture file.
then again, what was japa showing in his screenshots? werent those directly converted maptiles?

Thutmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 06:08:51 pm »

okay, i understand now, that the data is converted to pixels as a method of storing it in a picture file.
then again, what was japa showing in his screenshots? werent those directly converted maptiles?

I think his was done by reading the data from DF memory, then converting to blocks that way.  On the taller worlds topic though,

it currently stops rendering at 272 instead of 256 now (blocks can go up to 512 with current implementation), but if I got it up 16 blocks, I should be able to get it up more, once I find where the hard caps are located and mess with them too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 07:26:15 am »

How tall is a DF world in DF currently?
And how tall would that be if multiplied by 4?
Would that fit inside MC?
If not, how can we make that fit?

what method do you currently use for generating tiles?
are door/gate tiles being rotated according to which walls they are connected to?
i'll try building smaller (3x3x4 tiles for MC) that are still walkable for all 6 directions.

i'd be glad if i could contribute in any way.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 12:34:17 pm »

Bottom of sea to mountain top is 280 z levels, with the sea at 99

So that's 1120 blocks if you keep them 4 blocks per tile, or 840 at 3 blocks per tile, or 540 is you're only taking above sea level.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 01:06:40 pm »

okay, that's oviously too high, now that i know fo the 256 limit.
otherwise, i'd still love t osee into the 3x3x4 block/tiles.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2015, 07:53:49 pm »

3*3*4 won't have   working ramps. For that the tiles need to be cubic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3