Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: dorfgen, DFHack Legends exports to minecraft.  (Read 10857 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: dorfgen, DFHack Legends exports to minecraft.
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2015, 05:28:07 am »

okay, i haven't looked into the ramps yet.

having a situation-aware converter would mean that ramps, doors and all those things work and look way better.
exactly cubic tiles won't have working stairs. maybe the 5x5x4 tiles still work best.
i'll create some tiles today and upload the MC world so you can see what i mean and use those as assets.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2015, 08:48:44 am »

Exactly cubic tiles work if you use ladders for stairs. That's what I do for Armok Vision, because otherwise representing DF stairs in 3D is odd.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2015, 09:25:06 am »

well, i used 5x5x4 "tiles" with a spiral staircase.
the "stairs down" tile even has some floor, so it is even more accessable from all directions.
each tile has a floor and no walls, except if channeled.
that's a necessity, as in DF you don't need an additional zlevel as the floor, because the tile itself has a floor.

of course it looks a little odd to have a 3x3 staircase represented by 9 spiral staircases.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2015, 05:47:11 am »

this is wonderfull. keep up the work!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2015, 05:58:19 am »

PTW
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Thutmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2015, 05:21:07 pm »

I updated this to minecraft 1.8 and added in basic town generation code the download is on the github releases page linked in the op

here is a human walled town generated by the current system:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was generated from the following site image
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

if you use the samples in the dorfgen.zip located here: https://github.com/Thutmose/dorfgen/tree/1.8/samples the above image is taken in the town of fatalnets.

Currently hillocks and elf places also have the same building styles, but that will be changed in the future, I will probably try to get it to make something like those stacked witch huts for the elf places, and will have to do something else for hillocks, but as human towns have the most buildings above ground, I worked on getting them working first.

Each "building" that is not a wall or keep section spawns one villager in the middle of it.  A "building" is currently defined by a rectangular section with a specific coloured outline in the site map.  Adjacent buildings of the same floor level will usually have doors between them, and there are also doors between the towers and the walls, but not yet a way to access the top of the walls.

I added the following commands as well:
/dorfgen tp <site name/site number> will teleport the player to the specified site.  tab completion should work, and will list the number of sites.  use a " to specify a site name that contains spaces.
/dorfgen info will list the current site and region information for where the player is located.
/dg can be used instead of /dorfgen as well.

Using the previously mentioned samples, and typing /dg tp fatalnets will take you to the town in the image.

Edit: the default blocks/pixel is set to 51, though I have found that some buildings might be better sized if set to 102.  I would like feedback on this if possible.

Smiteson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2015, 04:26:52 am »

PTW! God, this is going to be amazing!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2016, 08:51:29 am »

i recently saw a mod that adds and/or replaces the MC-vanilla buildings.
maybe those people could help in this matter, as that could be adapted to add our own tilesets and structurebulding-algorithm to the vanilla MC worldgen.
i hope this project isn't dead yet.

ragundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2016, 02:50:05 pm »

In the near future you'll be able to export (using DFHack) a site to  a xml file with all the data needed to reconstruct it.
No need to regenerate it using the exported site bitmap from DF, just use raw data from DF.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2016, 06:48:22 am »

i hope that will work for exporting a whole world and all its sights in one session, but maybe that's too much.

Thutmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2016, 05:49:53 pm »

i recently saw a mod that adds and/or replaces the MC-vanilla buildings.
maybe those people could help in this matter, as that could be adapted to add our own tilesets and structurebulding-algorithm to the vanilla MC worldgen.
i hope this project isn't dead yet.

This project isn't dead, I got it able to generate the human towns, with proper buildings/walls/etc, but am waiting on seeing what changes are done wrt adventurer sites, as the changes to add them to the XML might also add things like lairs, and maybe better layouts for the elf buildings.

The change where the vanilla XML will actually give the proper locations of the site will hopefully remove my need to use custom DFHack scripts to get that information as well (I might still need the one for the construction locations, but shouldn't need the one for the site locations), so I will need to make some changes to loading them from the XML, but it won't be too bad, as I already have systems in place to deal with it.

I would also like to be able to properly determine which buildings should be taverns, temples, etc, so will probably spend a while looking through DFHack structures, if it isn't specified in the new vanilla output.
Pages: 1 2 [3]