Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Housing?  (Read 19921 times)

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Housing?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 10:18:16 pm »

Goblin Cookie it seems to me like your focused on how the game is right now rather then where toady intends to take it, I also vaguely remember something about you opposing having an in fortress economy and I'm pretty sure toady said that the economy will return when he can make it so its not broken (Supply and Demand).

Therefore we are essentially back to us being given mansions by site goverments in return for 'good service'. 

Guards have the exact same problem that servants have, all the guards in the world (like everyone else) are employed.

I've taken this form the development page.

Adventurer Role: Trader

Site resources
        Track resources in quantity instead of just by type
        Should depend on trade/tribute relationships as well as available professions and sprawl sites
        Villager/farmer schedules/activities
        Work with 3D mineral veins, mine maps and other industrial sites
    World economy
        Supply/demand based on current available entity resources etc.
        Expand on trade/tribute relationships formed in world generation
        Realize trade/tribute relationships with actual caravans moving on the map
        Ability to get some supply/demand information about nearby locations from travelers and others
        Ability to get that information yourself and trade it to merchants, especially as explorer
        Replace dwarf mode generated caravans with actual caravans
        Improved dwarf mode trade agreements incorporating all the world gen/supply/demand/merchant info etc.
        Fairs
    Ability to lead a trade caravan
        Ability to load stuff onto pack mules
        Ability to hire bodyguards
        Wagon/wagon teams (might do some teleportation travel with them to avoid annoyances for now)
        Being able to trade from wagons, large markets might have people to move objects more quickly
    Mansions for sale
        Renting/buying cottages and other properties

Might have to get information about struggling nobles
    Court
        Attaining a certain level of wealth and property should help with access to powerful people, though we have yet to decide what if anything this will grant you in the short term

As you can see he lists mansions for sale and renting/buying cottages, if you can just buy a cottage or mansion and hire bodyguards why can't you buy the land, materials and labor to make your own and then staff it with people you hire?

I don't think the current way thing work with dwarfs getting "Free" room and board will last forever.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 12:58:07 am by JesterHell696 »
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 11:32:11 pm »

You can't guarantee every peasant has something to do at every site, especially human hamlets. Maybe they pitch in during the harvest, but they'll be looking for whatever work they can find otherwise.

People also migrate when their home is lost. You're continuing to justify with current DF. Property ownership and emigration are planned. Everyone always being employed doesn't make sense. Why would we even have bandits if everything was so peachy? There are finite tasks available at a site and being idle 24/7 is not going to fly when the economy is re-implemented.

You don't need a tavern to drink, just booze and drinking buddies. I specifically mentioned the mansion being a base of operations, implying the player returns frequently. Companions aren't permanent guards, they're available to defend in their downtime, in shifts.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 11:41:20 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 08:27:03 am »

1. Live on your own in a log cabin in the wilderness.
2. Set up your own government.
Isn't that like the new American dream?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 08:30:04 am »

Goblin Cookie it seems to me like your focused on how the game is right now rather then where toady intends to take it, I also vaguely remember something about you opposing having an in fortress economy and I'm pretty sure toady said that the economy will return when he can make it so its not broken (Supply and Demand).

The economy will inevitably be badly broken if it is reintroduced, I do not have must faith in the devs ability to create a working system of commerce largely because they seem to presently lack much social analysis either of real-life society or the fictional society they appear to have 'accidentally' created.  There is little point in trying to argue based upon the future because we do not not know exactly how things will pan out in the future and how exactly the features will be implemented.

With a normal beta build we can point to the finished game in this case there is never going to be a finished game.  Since every new development is not a development *towards* a complete game but a new addition to a complete game, then it makes sense that every new development should be harmonious with what is already there.  The game's development will be retarded if we keep having to scrap existing mechanics in order to replace them with new better mechanics or because they clash with other new mechanics; this would be like a dog chasing it's own tail.  The work was done by the devs to code in a whole set of features simply to have them do even more work to replace those features. 

Site resources
        Should depend on trade/tribute relationships as well as available professions and sprawl sites
    World economy
        Ability to get some supply/demand information about nearby locations from travelers and others
        Ability to get that information yourself and trade it to merchants, especially as explorer
        Improved dwarf mode trade agreements incorporating all the world gen/supply/demand/merchant info etc.
        Fairs
        Wagon/wagon teams (might do some teleportation travel with them to avoid annoyances for now)
        Being able to trade from wagons, large markets might have people to move objects more quickly
    Mansions for sale

Court
        Attaining a certain level of wealth and property should help with access to powerful people, though we have yet to decide what if anything this will grant you in the short term

As you can see he lists mansions for sale and renting/buying cottages, if you can just buy a cottage or mansion and hire bodyguards why can't you buy the land, materials and labor to make your own and then staff it with people you hire?

I don't think the current way thing work with dwarfs getting "Free" room and board will last forever.

As I understand it things will work differently in different starting scenarios, some dwarves may well continue to get free room and board while others will not.

As I have already mentioned many times, it is quite possible to add anachronistic elements into a fictional work.  'Hiring' bodyguards is here part of the trade caravan arc not the house mansion arc and I did say that you could probably buy the physical building of a mansion from a site at the moment (if you were rich enough), just that you could not get the staff without setting up your own new site.  You could certainly recruit bodyguards for your caravan because some people just want to see the world while others just want to get to someplace else but hiring people for your mansion is not the same. 

Of course they can just arbiterily add in a bunch of people to hire or mansions with full staff just lying there waiting to be bought, but they will never be able to integrate them into the wide game world in a way that makes sense.  The essential lack of integration between the various disperate elements of the game is why we do not yet have a functioning global economy with actual caravans that really exists outside of fortress mode, because all the elements do not presently add up.  Things 'just happen', there is presently little connection between the various elements which are able to be anachronistic as a result; we have presently a whole lot of hows but little in the way of whys. 

You can't guarantee every peasant has something to do at every site, especially human hamlets. Maybe they pitch in during the harvest, but they'll be looking for whatever work they can find otherwise.

People also migrate when their home is lost. You're continuing to justify with current DF. Property ownership and emigration are planned. Everyone always being employed doesn't make sense. Why would we even have bandits if everything was so peachy? There are finite tasks available at a site and being idle 24/7 is not going to fly when the economy is re-implemented.

You don't need a tavern to drink, just booze and drinking buddies. I specifically mentioned the mansion being a base of operations, implying the player returns frequently. Companions aren't permanent guards, they're available to defend in their downtime, in shifts.

If things in human settlements are organised basically like they are in dwarf fortress then it does not matter if the human peasants don't presently have work to do.  They would sit around 24/7 until the lord gives them work to do, with nobody going hungry, getting hurt or getting upset.  I have already addressed the whole issue of how things presently work at the moment vs home things might work in the future in my reply to JesterHell696.

Everyone always being employed doesn't make sense

I find this statement truly ironic since while perhaps true in context is pretty much the opposite of the underlying reality.  You see the exact reverse statement would be.

"Anyone ever being unemployed doesn't make sense"

To have some of your dwarves designated as unemployed by the game system so they do not produce wealth for the fortress doesn't make any sense.  To punish dwarves for the fact that they have managed to collectively produce such an abundance of wealth that dwarves no longer have to work and hence are impoverished doesn't make any sense.  To have to create useless make-work just so our dwarves can afford to eat doesn't make any sense either.

If a functional internal fortress economy is one that only makes sense if it produces unemployment then we are already well into crazy-land.  The 'economy' will not be brought back when it is not broken, since being broken is the very standard of functionality as if the economy *fails* to produce unemployment it doesn't make sense.  Thus progress in game development is defined as the progression from a better state (no unemployment) to a worse state (unemployment)  ??? ???

Bandits are an example of anachronistic mechanics at the moment (along with whole system of trade and value).  This gets us back the fundermental contradiction between Dwarf Mode and Adventurer Mode, between the wellbieng of civilization and the wellbeing of adventurers.  We need to wreck the dwarf fortress mode economy by adding in unemployment, poverty and all attendent irrationalities in order than the existance of bandits would then make sense.  Of course at the moment bandits *just happen*, there is no real explanation as to why humans and goblin societies produce bandits, nor where they originally all come from.

As I said earlier.
Quote from: myself
A traditional RPG depends upon a basically dysfunctional, dystopian society; the more hellish the society actually would be for ordinery folk to live in, the better it is for an adventurer (at least until he ends up maimed, crippled or killed).  The whole subject is sort of discussed in TV Tropes under the heading Adventure friendly world.  Behind all the heroic gloss what the traditional RPG hero is is a jackel, a carrion beast growing fat and rich off the decay and ruin of the societies of his world.  Regardless of his personal alignment and motives, he needs racism, tyranny, chaos, intolerance, strife, poverty and crime to be rampant.  He tends as a matter of course to propogate those things, whether deliberately for his own gain or according to the logic of "swallow a spider to catch a fly".  The only good adventurer is the adventurer that kills those who are worse than he is and then immediately becomes something else.

We need a properly dysfunctional economic system so that it produce a large number of bandits and criminals so that our adventurers can then get rich killing and looting said bandits.  We also need a properly dysfunctional economic system so that there are unemployed people who are willing to scrub the floors of his mansion.  The nicer and more orderly things are in the society, the slimmer the pickings are all round for the adventurer, whose character consequently changes from 'ambitious fortune seeker' to 'warrior hermit'.

The tavern however has plays and music as well as merely just booze and drinking buddies.  The tavern was also just an example of the problem, which is that the site provides a whole raft of services and opportunities that your mansion alone does not provide.  Since people are not driven outwards by push factors (unemployment) but only by pull factions (the other site offers me a better life) meaning that the only way to recruit staff for your mansion is essentially to turn it into part of a bigger site with more amenities and rights than your staff presently enjoy at their current site. 

There is the possibility that if you were rich enough you might be able to buy the actual buildings from an existing site and then use them to create a new site in the normal manner.  However as mentioned earlier, much our ability to personally get rich as an adventurer derives from the anachronistic economic setup with it's fixed values. 

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 05:22:43 pm »

If things in human settlements are organised basically like they are in dwarf fortress then it does not matter if the human peasants don't presently have work to do.  They would sit around 24/7 until the lord gives them work to do, with nobody going hungry, getting hurt or getting upset.  I have already addressed the whole issue of how things presently work at the moment vs home things might work in the future in my reply to JesterHell696.
Sounds illogical, unfun, and uninteresting. Why even bother with the suggestions section? You don't even think Toady's going to add the things he's already planned himself.

I find this statement truly ironic since while perhaps true in context is pretty much the opposite of the underlying reality.  You see the exact reverse statement would be.

"Anyone ever being unemployed doesn't make sense"

To have some of your dwarves designated as unemployed by the game system so they do not produce wealth for the fortress doesn't make any sense.  To punish dwarves for the fact that they have managed to collectively produce such an abundance of wealth that dwarves no longer have to work and hence are impoverished doesn't make any sense.  To have to create useless make-work just so our dwarves can afford to eat doesn't make any sense either.
How do they produce wealth if they're "employed" but sitting around? You should either find them work or they get up and leave. (Y'know, to the mansion and all?) What abundance of wealth, and for whom? You mean an excess of fortress goods? Send it off site by any number of means (tribute, trade, create embark party.) If the dwarves themselves are wealthy there's no issue. We already have useless make-work in the form of mandates (which could be brought in line with what the economy actually needs.)

If a functional internal fortress economy is one that only makes sense if it produces unemployment then we are already well into crazy-land.  The 'economy' will not be brought back when it is not broken, since being broken is the very standard of functionality as if the economy *fails* to produce unemployment it doesn't make sense.  Thus progress in game development is defined as the progression from a better state (no unemployment) to a worse state (unemployment)  ??? ???.
Where is the challenge in full employment stagnation? Should you not have to work to keep your fortress running properly?

Bandits are an example of anachronistic mechanics at the moment (along with whole system of trade and value).  This gets us back the fundermental contradiction between Dwarf Mode and Adventurer Mode, between the wellbieng of civilization and the wellbeing of adventurers.  We need to wreck the dwarf fortress mode economy by adding in unemployment, poverty and all attendent irrationalities in order than the existance of bandits would then make sense.  Of course at the moment bandits *just happen*, there is no real explanation as to why humans and goblin societies produce bandits, nor where they originally all come from.
Yes, it makes no sense as things are. Why should we leave the world in such a shallow state?

He tends as a matter of course to propogate those things, whether deliberately for his own gain or according to the logic of "swallow a spider to catch a fly".  The only good adventurer is the adventurer that kills those who are worse than he is and then immediately becomes something else.
I disagree. It is not the hero that creates the dystopia, but the dystopia that creates the hero.

We need a properly dysfunctional economic system so that it produce a large number of bandits and criminals so that our adventurers can then get rich killing and looting said bandits.  We also need a properly dysfunctional economic system so that there are unemployed people who are willing to scrub the floors of his mansion.  The nicer and more orderly things are in the society, the slimmer the pickings are all round for the adventurer, whose character consequently changes from 'ambitious fortune seeker' to 'warrior hermit'.
Yes, that's kind of what keeps the world interesting and alive, isn't it? The plight of the adventurer is the plight of the player. Without conflict there is no game. Now of course the fort dwarves want to live in a utopia, but that's not what the slaves to Armok are getting.

I also just remembered that tents are a thing. Those guys are definitely unemployed.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2015, 02:14:15 am »

The economy will inevitably be badly broken if it is reintroduced, I do not have must faith in the devs ability to create a working system of commerce largely because they seem to presently lack much social analysis either of real-life society or the fictional society they appear to have 'accidentally' created. 

I disagree, again your looking at the state of thing right now and I feel that a "Active Economy" will be its own release with a heavy focus on making an economy that isn't broken.

I feel they will do the analysis during an active economy release as there is no need to before, as for the fictional society they created I feel that parts of this society are place holders that only exist so that the game can work at all and they will be discarded in the long run.

There is little point in trying to argue based upon the future because we do not not know exactly how things will pan out in the future and how exactly the features will be implemented.

We might not know how feature will be implemented but we do know what feature he wants to implement so discussing the hows and whys seems permissible to me and its kind of why the suggestion forum exists in the first place.

With a normal beta build we can point to the finished game in this case there is never going to be a finished game.  Since every new development is not a development *towards* a complete game but a new addition to a complete game,

Again I disagree, DF is an Alpha not a beta
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And technically it isn't even an alpha because an alpha is "feature complete" and dwarf fortress isn't, this makes it closer to pre-alpha and its ultimately the developer that decides when its feature complete, this means its not adding new features too a complete game but adding planed features to an incomplete game.

then it makes sense that every new development should be harmonious with what is already there.  The game's development will be retarded if we keep having to scrap existing mechanics in order to replace them with new better mechanics or because they clash with other new mechanics; this would be like a dog chasing it's own tail.  The work was done by the devs to code in a whole set of features simply to have them do even more work to replace those features. 

I disagree, if they followed your ideal we would still be 2D because switching to 3D didn't "harmonize" with everything that the game was before nor would we have the current health system or combat system.

Its two devs/one programmer with a dream of of their ideal game the rest of us are just along for the ride offering advice and suggestions along the way, toady just recently striped the emotion system and reworked it to make way for future additions and reworks, does this make more work sure but it also opens the way for improvements to other systems and the addition of new ones.

So while your free to disagree with their methods that doesn't mean everyone does because I want to see the dream come true even if it takes another 20 years and a half dozen rewrites.

As I understand it things will work differently in different starting scenarios, some dwarves may well continue to get free room and board while others will not.

I completely agree, I remember toady saying it doesn't make sense for a temple site full of priests or military site with only military and support staff to have a internal economy, that being said I think the current general purpose fort most likely will see an internal economy of some sort with poverty stricken peasants and wealthy nobles, merchants, hero's ect.

As I have already mentioned many times, it is quite possible to add anachronistic elements into a fictional work. 

I will again say I think your too caught up on what the game is now and not what toady wants it to be, its only anachronistic if you think that the way the game works now with fortress player fortress being a utopia is how its supposed to work but I see it as a place holder for something greater.

'Hiring' bodyguards is here part of the trade caravan arc not the house mansion arc and I did say that you could probably buy the physical building of a mansion from a site at the moment (if you were rich enough),

the merchant arc also lists buying the mansions from the mansion arc, no ark is completely independent from another its just that they get implemented separately and this is where those "Retarded" rewrites you don't like come in, you've got to add mansions before you can buy said mansions, then you've got to give value those mansions and then you need a more detailed ownership system ect.

just that you could not get the staff without setting up your own new site.  You could certainly recruit bodyguards for your caravan because some people just want to see the world while others just want to get to someplace else but hiring people for your mansion is not the same. 

And its not the same how? sure their motivations are different but most peasants just want food, shelter and safety and if they can get some of that by working for the rich merchant in his private mansion on the edge of town why would they say no?

You seem to think having hires mean you need to have your own "Site" when it just mean you need to be able to foot the bill and meet expectations.

Your followers

List of followers and ability to look at their information
    Being able to take along aggrieved people for a time if you are seeking justice for them
    Reputation with entity (see below) allowing for easier followers
    Being able to issue orders to attack targets
        It should depend, but orders to kill civilians, especially people they know, should result in various negative reactions, possibly including hostility and violence -- your behavior should cause these reactions as well
    Being able to issue orders to distract and lead off targets
    Being able to issue orders to stay at a site for general purposes (defense, caring for livestock, etc.)
        Depending on loyalty, they should not follow unreasonable orders for long (like guarding a random wilderness location)
    Expansion of personality system to support more value-judgment-based properties such as bravery vs. cowardice/apathy/recklessness
    Better morale failures
    Having your own entity name for your group if you have a high enough profile (or before that, but nobody will care)

Reputation with entity populations, site governments, families and individuals
        Increases with heroic acts but can rise out of stranger status just by going to markets etc.
    Townspeople fractured among various overlapping allegiances to lords/villains/etc.
    People offering free goods to heroes
    Being called out by others if you are famous or a stranger in town
    Revenge from villains/relatives/superiors of people you have killed or troubled (likely through tracking you down, see Thief role)
    People should be more forthcoming about adventure opportunities if your reputation precedes you, especially if your accomplishments align with their interests

Of course they can just arbiterily add in a bunch of people to hire or mansions with full staff just lying there waiting to be bought, but they will never be able to integrate them into the wide game world in a way that makes sense. 

why do they need to "just lay around" they'll be any peasant you meet in town, I'm no expert on medieval economy but I do vaguely remember something about peasants paying their tax's with either labor or goods and that they where otherwise free to do what they wanted with their time and goods.

The essential lack of integration between the various disperate elements of the game is why we do not yet have a functioning global economy with actual caravans that really exists outside of fortress mode, because all the elements do not presently add up.  Things 'just happen', there is presently little connection between the various elements which are able to be anachronistic as a result; we have presently a whole lot of hows but little in the way of whys. 

Functioning global economy is part of the merchant arc

Site resources
    World economy
        Fairs

Mansions for sale
    Court

I feel is that DF is first and foremost a fantasy world simulator so the goal will always be to expand the simulation, first with breadth then with depth.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2015, 04:19:01 pm »

Sounds illogical, unfun, and uninteresting. Why even bother with the suggestions section? You don't even think Toady's going to add the things he's already planned himself.

No, I fully expect Toady One to add in all the things written about in the dev page.  I am just concerned about the way and manner in which they *might* unknowingly be implemented in such a way that they either ruin the game or simply are anachronistic and do not make sense. 

How do they produce wealth if they're "employed" but sitting around? You should either find them work or they get up and leave. (Y'know, to the mansion and all?) What abundance of wealth, and for whom? You mean an excess of fortress goods? Send it off site by any number of means (tribute, trade, create embark party.) If the dwarves themselves are wealthy there's no issue. We already have useless make-work in the form of mandates (which could be brought in line with what the economy actually needs.)

If you have an excess of fortress goods it simply does not matter if your dwarves work, they are "employed" regardless.  Simple fact, if there is so much around that everybody has what they want there is no reason to work.  It is irrational to work harder than the fortress needs you to in order to produce/buy what it needs to sustain you and everybody else in the fortress.  Of course to irrationally work even when you do not need to is quite a dwarven thing to do I suppose, but the focus is here on the irrational part not how it is dwarven.   ;)

To make-demand in order rather than make-work is not fundermentally different from simply make-work and is similarly irrational.  Nobles mandates are either another anachronism themselves or they provide an interesting insight into the possibility that behind the velvet glove of apparant voluntery labour does legally lie an iron fist of forced labour to be employed when this failed.  Because nobles mandates are irrational from the POV of everybody else it ends up being used exclusively in context of such mandates.  It could be that "violation of work order" could be extended potentially to all jobs, allowing us to use fear to motivate lazy dwarves to work harder.  If developments to the game result in more scarcity either by raising demand or lowering production then it we might actually have a reason to use these coercive legal powers.

Where is the challenge in full employment stagnation? Should you not have to work to keep your fortress running properly?

Unemployment is universally undesirable to every government imaginable.  Unemployment means that people are poorer than they would otherwise be, it means that work is not being done and the skill base of the population declined.  It also means that there is less wealth being produced overall and the existing workforce naturally has to work harder, but is also poorer because they have to compete against the unemployed.  Unemployment is only desirable to rich-folk (like our successful adventurer) because it gives them a steady supply of servants for their mansions without having to outbid the present employer to get labour. 

Therefore unemployment is something imposed upon us as an external economic order imposed *on* our fortress, as I like to call it the IMF-Code.  You might say, well we already have various adversaries to fight against, goblins, forgotten beasts you name it; so why not an IMF-Code?.  In this case it is different because their is no way to slay the IMF-Code, it can only be temporerily bought off by various irrational rituals.  Unlike the forgotten beast however the IMF-Code is not really out there, the interface you are using *is* the IMF-Code and there is no way to escape from Fortress von Mises because the very interface forces you to play by the rules. The "computer simply says no" when you try to interfere with the sacred writ of the free market as decreed by Ludwig von Mises (or was it Ayn Rand, or Adam Smith, or Milton Friedman?). 

If we were to do a perfect job then we would have everything running exactly as they do at the moment, with everybody working and everybody getting "paid".  That is what I said about irrational rituals, through our irrational rituals (useless make-work) we struggle to realise simply the  state of affairs we have at the moment.  The Economy/IMF-Code is really just another beasty that ideally we would be able to skewer but has been rendered immortal by game fiat. A fully functional economy would have everything working exactly as it does at the moment, so the idea of adding in a  functional 'Economy' is rather like talking about a functional forgotten beast in the middle of the dining hall. 

Yes, it makes no sense as things are. Why should we leave the world in such a shallow state?

The world makes perfect sense, it is the bandits that do not make sense.  The world is rather shallow however, largely because basically we got the end result of a perfect economic arrangement based upon "each according to ability" and "to each according to their needs" without any insight into the mechanics of how the setup actually comes to work; it all just happens/happened off camera and we do not/did not have to bother with any of it, we simply reap the rewards of commanding an utopian society.  There are however a number of undeveloped threads within Fortress Karl Marx that could potentially cause us to have to actually cause problems/have to make social decisions about the direction our society is going in.  Such as.

We know that the officials within the fortresses 'utopian' society use their power to gain certain material advantages.   

Yet while the material advantages demanded are fairly trivial and easy to meet for such a small number of individuals, they do set a bad example to their underlings by claiming them.  Because certain dwarves labour is more valuable than others, either because that individual is the only person who can do that labour effectively or because the fortress economy is itself is dependant upon that particular kind of labour in particular, those dwarves provided they can emigrate they actually have power, just like the officials have power.  Why would they not follow the nobles example and try to get nicer stuff for themselves, organising into guilds if they are more than one person?

At the moment the team seem to want to add in guilds; though of course if the team added guilds into the game at the moment they would not actually be guilds but more public sector craft unions.  That brings us back to the question of why there are bandits in the game at all, there are bandits in the game because they should be bandits in the middle ages, there were guilds in the middle ages hence there should be guilds in the game.  This gets to what I like to call the "Game of Thrones historical accuracy defense", that is justifying why something in a fantasy world because it was in the real middle ages which has as it's foil the "there were no dragons" response.

Backtracking from the anachronistic elements to realise the basis of those elements leave us with an amusing outcome, medieval peasants never lived in vast underground edifaces built by collective labour.  The very existance of this divergant material fact has massive societal and technological consequences that pretty much rule out any medieval comparison from the get go.  At this point it all comes down to names, why do we call them "guilds" and not "public sector unions", but ultimately I suppose we are only translating the dwarves own terms into English anyway. 

I disagree. It is not the hero that creates the dystopia, but the dystopia that creates the hero.

It runs deeper than that.  The hero and the villain are both examples of the same thing in economic/social terms, the only difference between them being their morality.  They are both what we would call adventurers and their material interests are alike.  The same mechanics by which the hero easily hires minions for his mansion also allows the villain to hire minions for his own evil schemes, they both thrive on a lack of a functioning legal system and they both thrive off a ready supply of deadly weaponry available with no strings attached. 

In a sense the hero is a "class traitor" to his own kind but the villain is being true to the interests of the adventurer class. 

Yes, that's kind of what keeps the world interesting and alive, isn't it? The plight of the adventurer is the plight of the player. Without conflict there is no game. Now of course the fort dwarves want to live in a utopia, but that's not what the slaves to Armok are getting.

I also just remembered that tents are a thing. Those guys are definitely unemployed.

Digging in holes and then filling them in again just to keep his dwarves employed and fed is not what Armok signed up for. 

No all bandits are very much employed by the various bandit gangs that there are.  They presumably get free access to all the wealth of the bandit gang and do whatever 'work' the bandit gang requires them to do.  It is not too hard to figure out a few scenarios where armed paramilitery groups might end up being temporerily become uprooted from civilization (even without unemployment), the problem is why they do not just turn up at the nearest settlement, register as migrants and get a job, along with access to all the wealth the fortress has along with a roof over their head.

I disagree, again your looking at the state of thing right now and I feel that a "Active Economy" will be its own release with a heavy focus on making an economy that isn't broken.

I feel they will do the analysis during an active economy release as there is no need to before, as for the fictional society they created I feel that parts of this society are place holders that only exist so that the game can work at all and they will be discarded in the long run.

I see you have your crystal ball out and can look at the state of things to come in (5? 10? 15? 20?) years time. 

A fully functional economy as I have already explained to Bumber is what we have at the moment.  A fully functional economy means what we have at the moment, what we are talking about really is a "potentially less than functional economy but not inevitably so".  The whole idea that the economy will come back when it is properly functional is actually hilarious since what is 'wrong' about the status quo is it actually works perfectly and hence is really the endgame of any functional economy.  If they do not actually understand what they are doing with their economy plans, then I have no faith whatsoever in their ability to any kind of analysis during any hypothetical economy release.

If they had that analysis they would understand that since the Status Quo is economic perfection and all they have to do to get what they appear to want is add in some challenges that potentially make the system less than 100% functional and an array of solutions to potentially increase the functionality of the economy. 

We might not know how feature will be implemented but we do know what feature he wants to implement so discussing the hows and whys seems permissible to me and its kind of why the suggestion forum exists in the first place.

Indeed.

Again I disagree, DF is an Alpha not a beta
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And technically it isn't even an alpha because an alpha is "feature complete" and dwarf fortress isn't, this makes it closer to pre-alpha and its ultimately the developer that decides when its feature complete, this means its not adding new features too a complete game but adding planed features to an incomplete game.

You know the difference I am talking about.  Most games have a clear end-state by which the game is released on the release date, Dwarf Fortress is already fully released and essentially what the devs are doing is similar to creating a series of expansion packs/DLC to add to the initially released game. 

I disagree, if they followed your ideal we would still be 2D because switching to 3D didn't "harmonize" with everything that the game was before nor would we have the current health system or combat system.

Its two devs/one programmer with a dream of of their ideal game the rest of us are just along for the ride offering advice and suggestions along the way, toady just recently striped the emotion system and reworked it to make way for future additions and reworks, does this make more work sure but it also opens the way for improvements to other systems and the addition of new ones.

So while your free to disagree with their methods that doesn't mean everyone does because I want to see the dream come true even if it takes another 20 years and a half dozen rewrites.

Firstly going from 2D to 3D (that is adding a dimension) is hardely what I am talking about, that is an expansion to a core game mechanic which is still the same (squares on a map).  What I am talking about is say if the devs finished their present release with all it's music and stuff.  Then having released an entire, fully functional system for music generation they suddenly decided they wanted an entirely new system of music generation, threw out the existing system and made another one that took just as long to make to replace it.  I am here talking about replacing things, not adding or developing them.  You are talking about them replacing the functional economic system with another functional economic system as opposed to merely adding new elements to the present system (what they basically did with the old economy minus the functionality).   

I would be happy to wait 20 years if the result was 20 years of content, but I am not interested in enabling someone to spend 20 years to make what they could easily make in 5 years.  That is foolish tail chasing and that is what the old economy system was.  They have an entirely functional economic system set up and if you are right about what they intend to do then they are foolish tail chasers indeed.  They are supposed to be intending to throw out a whole functional economic system is order to replace to replace it with another equally functional economic system that accomplishes the same purpose RATHER than expanding the existing functional economic system to incorperate new content. 

Why?  The present system is entirely functional, so what is the problem?  The dwarves economy isn't properly medieval or something, well as the dwarves live in underground fortresses of course they are never going to be properly medieval.  To have a properly medieval economy with dwarves living in underground fortress would actually be an Anachronism of a pretty staggering scope. 

I completely agree, I remember toady saying it doesn't make sense for a temple site full of priests or military site with only military and support staff to have a internal economy, that being said I think the current general purpose fort most likely will see an internal economy of some sort with poverty stricken peasants and wealthy nobles, merchants, hero's ect.

As I said, the internal economy has to be properly dysfunctional so that there can properly be those poverty stricken peasants and wealthy nobles.  Because Middle Ages says there should be, despite the fact that we are not talking about the actual middle ages nor can we ever be.  What about those of us who do not want poverty stricken peasants?  If poverty stricken peasants are part of some starting scenarios and not others then everybody is happy are they not?  Vastly different starting scenarios do however create anachronism problems if combined in the same civilization without conflict. 

I will again say I think your too caught up on what the game is now and not what toady wants it to be, its only anachronistic if you think that the way the game works now with fortress player fortress being a utopia is how its supposed to work but I see it as a place holder for something greater.

What you say that Toady wants it to be. 

the merchant arc also lists buying the mansions from the mansion arc, no ark is completely independent from another its just that they get implemented separately and this is where those "Retarded" rewrites you don't like come in, you've got to add mansions before you can buy said mansions, then you've got to give value those mansions and then you need a more detailed ownership system ect.

Adding in mansions is not a rewrite of anything.  It is just (potentially) an anachronism or not depending upon how it is implemented.

And its not the same how? sure their motivations are different but most peasants just want food, shelter and safety and if they can get some of that by working for the rich merchant in his private mansion on the edge of town why would they say no?

You seem to think having hires mean you need to have your own "Site" when it just mean you need to be able to foot the bill and meet expectations.

Because as things stand at the moment meeting those 'expectations' would mean exactly the same as essentially having your own site to give them.  There is absolutely no problem with the idea of having mansions, it is just that would not be quite as simple as just hiring random people; it could be, but that would be an anachronism. 

Your followers

List of followers and ability to look at their information
    Being able to take along aggrieved people for a time if you are seeking justice for them
    Reputation with entity (see below) allowing for easier followers
    Being able to issue orders to attack targets
        It should depend, but orders to kill civilians, especially people they know, should result in various negative reactions, possibly including hostility and violence -- your behavior should cause these reactions as well
    Being able to issue orders to distract and lead off targets
    Being able to issue orders to stay at a site for general purposes (defense, caring for livestock, etc.)
        Depending on loyalty, they should not follow unreasonable orders for long (like guarding a random wilderness location)
    Expansion of personality system to support more value-judgment-based properties such as bravery vs. cowardice/apathy/recklessness
    Better morale failures

Having your own entity name for your group if you have a high enough profile (or before that, but nobody will care)

Reputation with entity populations, site governments, families and individuals
        Increases with heroic acts but can rise out of stranger status just by going to markets etc.
    Townspeople fractured among various overlapping allegiances to lords/villains/etc.
    People offering free goods to heroes
    Being called out by others if you are famous or a stranger in town
    Revenge from villains/relatives/superiors of people you have killed or troubled (likely through tracking you down, see Thief role)
    People should be more forthcoming about adventure opportunities if your reputation precedes you, especially if your accomplishments align with their interests

Guarding your mansion indefinately while you head off on adventurers is going to be considered an unreasonable order because what your companions left their home sites for is a life of adventure, not standing around guarding some mansion. 

why do they need to "just lay around" they'll be any peasant you meet in town, I'm no expert on medieval economy but I do vaguely remember something about peasants paying their tax's with either labor or goods and that they where otherwise free to do what they wanted with their time and goods.

There goes another person going on about the medieval economy and society; soon I will have to rename you George R.R Martin. 

Functioning global economy is part of the merchant arc

Site resources
    World economy
        Fairs

Mansions for sale
    Court

I knew that and I look forward to the global economy greatly. 

I feel is that DF is first and foremost a fantasy world simulator so the goal will always be to expand the simulation, first with breadth then with depth.

Yes it is.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2015, 05:48:19 pm »

If you have an excess of fortress goods it simply does not matter if your dwarves work, they are "employed" regardless.  Simple fact, if there is so much around that everybody has what they want there is no reason to work.  It is irrational to work harder than the fortress needs you to in order to produce/buy what it needs to sustain you and everybody else in the fortress.  Of course to irrationally work even when you do not need to is quite a dwarven thing to do I suppose, but the focus is here on the irrational part not how it is dwarven.   ;)
If there's so much stuff, it can practically be free. The problem is that not every fort (especially an NPC one) does have everything it needs. The current game is also notorious for food supply and trade wealth being too easy to obtain.

Unemployment is universally undesirable to every government imaginable.  Unemployment means that people are poorer than they would otherwise be, it means that work is not being done and the skill base of the population declined. It also means that there is less wealth being produced overall and the existing workforce naturally has to work harder, but is also poorer because they have to compete against the unemployed.  Unemployment is only desirable to rich-folk (like our successful adventurer) because it gives them a steady supply of servants for their mansions without having to outbid the present employer to get labour.
Unemployment is a result of not enough work for the population's skill set being available. This is in turn a result of not enough resources or infrastructure. You can't gain wealth by dividing the available work between more people. That's illogical. Wealth distribution, maybe, but not overall wealth.

If we were to do a perfect job then we would have everything running exactly as they do at the moment, with everybody working and everybody getting "paid".  That is what I said about irrational rituals, through our irrational rituals (useless make-work) we struggle to realise simply the  state of affairs we have at the moment. The Economy/IMF-Code is really just another beasty that ideally we would be able to skewer but has been rendered immortal by game fiat. A fully functional economy would have everything working exactly as it does at the moment, so the idea of adding in a functional 'Economy' is rather like talking about a functional forgotten beast in the middle of the dining hall.
It's essentially the minimizing of idlers that most players already do. (We can add job priority here by who needs the money, in order to avoid a small issue with finding work.) The benefit is that it actually adds logic to so-called 'anachronistic' features, resulting in a more living, breathing world.

The world makes perfect sense, it is the bandits that do not make sense. ... [stuff about nobles]
What do you mean when you say the world makes perfect sense? What features besides the current economy make sense in your opinion? And if it turns out that you consider most of the world features to be anachronistic, would that not make the current economy the actual anachronism?

In a sense the hero is a "class traitor" to his own kind but the villain is being true to the interests of the adventurer class.
It's an interesting comparison, but I think it's an oversimplification. Economics isn't the sole motive for hero and villain.

Digging in holes and then filling them in again just to keep his dwarves employed and fed is not what Armok signed up for.
It can be managed in better ways than that. Really, most of the work should be agriculture, keeping a fort fed without modern tech. We've also got an entertainment industry coming.

No all bandits are very much employed by the various bandit gangs that there are. They presumably get free access to all the wealth of the bandit gang and do whatever 'work' the bandit gang requires them to do. It is not too hard to figure out a few scenarios where armed paramilitery groups might end up being temporerily become uprooted from civilization (even without unemployment), the problem is why they do not just turn up at the nearest settlement, register as migrants and get a job, along with access to all the wealth the fortress has along with a roof over their head.
Not just bandits, but those comatose refugees in empty tents. Because, logically, the site shouldn't have the capacity to support them. NPC homes are packed like sardine tins and contain enough food to last maybe a few days.

(Let me know if I missed anything that you thought required a response.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:54:25 pm by Bumber »

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 07:23:25 am »

I see you have your crystal ball out and can look at the state of things to come in (5? 10? 15? 20?) years time. 

I don't need a crystal ball to see a set of stairs and conclude that the go up or down from where I'm standing.

I don't know what the state of the game will be in 20 years, I do know what toady has said in Future of the fortress, dev talks and put on the dev page which allow me to guesstimate where it could be.

A fully functional economy as I have already explained to Bumber is what we have at the moment.  A fully functional economy means what we have at the moment, what we are talking about really is a "potentially less than functional economy but not inevitably so".  The whole idea that the economy will come back when it is properly functional is actually hilarious since what is 'wrong' about the status quo is it actually works perfectly and hence is really the endgame of any functional economy.  If they do not actually understand what they are doing with their economy plans, then I have no faith whatsoever in their ability to any kind of analysis during any hypothetical economy release.

If they had that analysis they would understand that since the Status Quo is economic perfection and all they have to do to get what they appear to want is add in some challenges that potentially make the system less than 100% functional and an array of solutions to potentially increase the functionality of the economy. 

As I've said I'm no economy expert and I don't pretend to be I don't see this as a perfect economy because I don't see any economy and that is because not only is the current global trade system a farce but within fort mode everyone act like an ant doing whats best for the colony without selfish thoughts getting in the way which is something I find to be unrealistic from "sapient" beings like dwarf or humans and this intern lowers the integrity of the simulation imho.

The Idea that DF will remain with this "Perfect" system is something I just don't see as true, I don't think DF is about making a "perfect system" but a fantasy world where the player can partake in all the usual fantasy world roles.

The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games.

And I think that many of these role's are dependent on an Imperfect social/economic structure to be fully realized, I see the current "perfect economy" as a place holder for simulated imperfection.

You know the difference I am talking about.  Most games have a clear end-state by which the game is released on the release date, Dwarf Fortress is already fully released and essentially what the devs are doing is similar to creating a series of expansion packs/DLC to add to the initially released game. 

I understand what you mean I just disagree, I don't see DF as a finished product that's been released but an in development product that's in open alpha.

I feel that it maybe a matter of semantics.

Firstly going from 2D to 3D (that is adding a dimension) is hardely what I am talking about, that is an expansion to a core game mechanic which is still the same (squares on a map).  What I am talking about is say if the devs finished their present release with all it's music and stuff.  Then having released an entire, fully functional system for music generation they suddenly decided they wanted an entirely new system of music generation, threw out the existing system and made another one that took just as long to make to replace it.  I am here talking about replacing things, not adding or developing them. You are talking about them replacing the functional economic system with another functional economic system as opposed to merely adding new elements to the present system (what they basically did with the old economy minus the functionality). 

What about the fact the there was a functional adv mode conversation system that they replaced?  the emotion and personality rewrite? you could say these are expansions to existing mechanic and I say that the return of the economy is an expansion of the existing economy mechanic which I feel is flawed in its "Perfection", is it they strictly necessary? no but I feel that it will make the simulation better by its inclusion.

I would be happy to wait 20 years if the result was 20 years of content, but I am not interested in enabling someone to spend 20 years to make what they could easily make in 5 years.  That is foolish tail chasing and that is what the old economy system was.  They have an entirely functional economic system set up and if you are right about what they intend to do then they are foolish tail chasers indeed.  They are supposed to be intending to throw out a whole functional economic system is order to replace to replace it with another equally functional economic system that accomplishes the same purpose RATHER than expanding the existing functional economic system to incorperate new content. 

Why?  The present system is entirely functional, so what is the problem?  The dwarves economy isn't properly medieval or something, well as the dwarves live in underground fortresses of course they are never going to be properly medieval.  To have a properly medieval economy with dwarves living in underground fortress would actually be an Anachronism of a pretty staggering scope. 

I don't think that the current economy was ever intended nor do I think it fits toady's goal.

As I said, the internal economy has to be properly dysfunctional so that there can properly be those poverty stricken peasants and wealthy nobles.  Because Middle Ages says there should be, despite the fact that we are not talking about the actual middle ages nor can we ever be.  What about those of us who do not want poverty stricken peasants?  If poverty stricken peasants are part of some starting scenarios and not others then everybody is happy are they not?  Vastly different starting scenarios do however create anachronism problems if combined in the same civilization without conflict. 

And as I've said I think the goal is to create a society that enable plays to experience the standard fantasy tropes, if this mean intentionally adding "Imperfections" to its economic or social structures then so be it.

as for those who don't want poverty stricken peasants, he could add a raw tag or init option that turns off the economy leaving the "utopia" untouched, I just don't think it will be the default setting.

What you say that Toady wants it to be. 

What I've inferred from Toady's comments in future of the fortress, dev talks and the development page goals, is it a perfect system? no but until toady himself posts an answer in this thread its reasonable to me.

Adding in mansions is not a rewrite of anything.  It is just (potentially) an anachronism or not depending upon how it is implemented.

I don't know DF's code but he might need to complete strip out the current ownership system to make it possible for an individual to own pieces of a site and then build, renovate or change these pieces without owning the whole site, as I understand it this is handled by site government so to do it yourself could need a rewrite which is something I support.

Because as things stand at the moment meeting those 'expectations' would mean exactly the same as essentially having your own site to give them.  There is absolutely no problem with the idea of having mansions, it is just that would not be quite as simple as just hiring random people; it could be, but that would be an anachronism. 

Only as things stand now, which as I've said I think is just a place holder for simulated imperfection.

Guarding your mansion indefinately while you head off on adventurers is going to be considered an unreasonable order because what your companions left their home sites for is a life of adventure, not standing around guarding some mansion. 

To a follower who wants death and glory yes it is unreasonable but where getting bards and travailing musical bands next release and the ability to "Hire" guards in the merchant ark and they might have different motivations in which case it would not be unreasonable for them and what about the "Caring for live stock" part? that could be indefinite yet its listed alongside guarding sites instead of alongside the unreasonable request point which listed guarding a random wilderness location.

There goes another person going on about the medieval economy and society; soon I will have to rename you George R.R Martin. 

Why? because I said I'm not an expert and then went on to say what I remembered from the history channel?

What I remember is that most peasants didn't have actual money and lived in a barter based society where goods and labor where traded for goods and labor, because the peasant didn't have actual money they paid tax's to the local lord in goods and labor. its entirely possible that its got nothing to do with medieval economy as I also vaguely remember something about serfdom in England but as I said I'm no expert. I trust that toady will look at what actual economy's existed in the time period he wants the game to present and then analyze those systems and model them for his game.

Also is being called George R.R Martin supposed to be some kind of insult? because I think most people would take it as a complement, personally I don't care so call me whatever you like.

I would like to point out that with all your comments about DF economy being perfect you have proven my point that your focused on what DF is now not what it will be and I'm not saying that what I think is the objective truth and is guaranteed to happen just that any of the current systems are subject to change and that I think an improved version of the original economy will happen.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2015, 12:50:55 pm »

If there's so much stuff, it can practically be free. The problem is that not every fort (especially an NPC one) does have everything it needs. The current game is also notorious for food supply and trade wealth being too easy to obtain.

The former reality (overproduction) is basically contradictory with the latter (every site not having everything it needs).  We presently produce so much wealth in relation to actual demand that everything becomes essentially valueless, including the labour of the dwarves themselves.  For instance my own fortress Plainiron presently has over 1000 fishes stockpiled and about 4 fishermen between them produce about 600-800 fishes per year, the reality is of course that these four people are producing enough food to actually feed a large chunk of population of my whole civilization, the Citadel of Liberty.  There are other sites in my civilization however that have fishermen and thus must also be producing 600-800 fishes per year, if we are talking about a consistant world where the player's site is not somehow magical.

What I intend to do of course is simply to stockpile 1000s of fishes until the random demand generator of one of the civilizations I trade with generates a specific demand for fishes.  Then I will sell the whole lot off.  The problem here is that if there are sites that cannot produce their own fish, they still have a very limited demand, so the caravan would realistically only buy about say 200 fishes because it cannot sell on any more fishes than that.  However since anachronistically the caravan trades based upon pure value as opposed to the actual economic situation as regards supply+demand, the caravan presently acts as a demand sink since it's own demands are infinite UNLIKE the demands of your own fortress. 

The deadly part (to any functional economy) is that the situation cannot be solved by simply adjusting the value of fish.  Since the effective cost of fishes is 0 when you consider the universal oversupply of everything else you are producing as well, it does not matter if the value of each fish sinks to some tiny fraction of a dwarfbuck, it will always be profitable to sell fish despite the fact that the caravan can do absolutely nothing with them.  It is not enough to simply adjust the values according to supply+demand, supply and demand must be taken into account SEPERATELY of value so as to see to it that the caravan will not buy (or accept as gifts) items that it knows it cannot ever sell or consume itself regardless of how good a deal it is getting. 

The fundermental economy reality of the game (and reality) is that any items value is ultimately reducable to a binary, prior to anything else being decided either something is demanded (either by you or somebody you are trading with) or it is worthless.  At this point things get to why I said that working hard and producing more is not always rational, if my four fisherment produce 600-800 fishes a year and between what caravan is able to buy combined with your own consumption the demand is 300-400 fishes, there is neither reason for the fortress to want to get the fisherdwarves to work harder, nor to introduce new techniques to increase fishing productivity. The rational thing to do is simply for the fisherdwarves to work 50% less so they only produce the total amount that is demanded.

Unemployment is a result of not enough work for the population's skill set being available. This is in turn a result of not enough resources or infrastructure. You can't gain wealth by dividing the available work between more people. That's illogical. Wealth distribution, maybe, but not overall wealth.

Being employed is not the same thing as doing work.  Idle dwarves are very much employed, it is just that their employer (the site government) has failed to find them work to do at the moment, which they will do if it is found.

Unemployment has nothing to do with there not being enough work, unemployment is due to the government not immediately hiring everybody first and *then* finding them work to do (or not).  Since this is what presently exists, there is no unemployment in the dwarf society, merely employed dwarves waiting for their employer to give them actual work to do. 

It's essentially the minimizing of idlers that most players already do. (We can add job priority here by who needs the money, in order to avoid a small issue with finding work.) The benefit is that it actually adds logic to so-called 'anachronistic' features, resulting in a more living, breathing world.

Yes, however with a proper world economy the caravan demand-sink will not exist, so the inherant rationality of minimising idlers would actually go away.  Thus we are into the buisness of actual make-work, the player is arbiterily creating demand in order than there be full employment, so that all dwarves get paid and are happy; or as I put it, digging holes and filling them in.

Interestingly this is basically why we ended up with workhouses, if people operate according to the principle that "those who do not work should not eat" the end result is that to stop people from starving the government ends up rounding the unemployed people up and 'making work' for them to do. 

What do you mean when you say the world makes perfect sense? What features besides the current economy make sense in your opinion? And if it turns out that you consider most of the world features to be anachronistic, would that not make the current economy the actual anachronism?

There is a heirachy to these things.  If an element of a bigger picture does not presently fit into the bigger picture then it is that element that is an anachronism, not the picture itself.

It's an interesting comparison, but I think it's an oversimplification. Economics isn't the sole motive for hero and villain.

Economics does not care whether the hero is motivated by it.  The hero depends upon the dystopian elements of the world for sustainance, just as the villain does.  To be truly a hero however the hero needs to work to make the world less dystopian, thus making his own life and that of other future heroes less sustainable.  The villain on the other hand by making the world more dystopian looks after the collective interests of both the villain and hero alike.  In a way the whole theme is covered in the Majesty 2 intial campaign video (I have covered how Ardania is a hero-friendly dystopia before.

Majesty campaign starting video

Kind Leonard is the last of a long line of heroic Ardanian kings, each of whom has faced great villains and defeated them.  Having put an end to the Majesty's essential dystopia, the previous kings have left King Leonard economically unable to be a hero, since that role's value has now in the essentially binary sense been set to 0.  Thus in order for his desired hero role to have any value he conjures up a powerful demon so he can defeat it.  He fails to do this but as a result the world slides back into the heroic dystopia that provides the basis for Majesty 2. 

The funny thing here is that in a way we are not correct to say that the villain is an evil hero but rather that the hero is a good villain.  In the end economic desperation 'forces' the hero to become a villain by summoning up a demon or become valueless. 

It can be managed in better ways than that. Really, most of the work should be agriculture, keeping a fort fed without modern tech. We've also got an entertainment industry coming.

Yes very much so.  However if the devs were able to do that successfully (balance production and demand) there would still be no unemployement and if unemployment did somehow arise then the solution would still be digging holes and filling them in to fix it. 

Not just bandits, but those comatose refugees in empty tents. Because, logically, the site shouldn't have the capacity to support them. NPC homes are packed like sardine tins and contain enough food to last maybe a few days.

(Let me know if I missed anything that you thought required a response.)

Every labourer produces surplus value.  This means (this becomes quite apparant to a player as the game progresses) that the greater the population the greater the total wealth of everybody.  That means that it is in the interests of every settlement to accept the maximum number of migrants that it's present surplus value is able to presently accomadate provided said immigrants are then able to work to produce surplus value themselves. 

Surplus value means the total amount of value that the dwarf produces on top of the amount of value the dwarf presently consumes.  At the moment given the high levels of production, the low level of consumption and the general lack of item decay the surplus value of a single dwarf is vast.  Surplus value is the economic motor of progress essentially, without it all you have is an eternal stagnation or decline.  To think about it like this, the fortress 'spends' the total surplus value to upgrade itself either privately by doling it out to individual dwarves (upgrading rooms) or collectively (upgrading dining halls). 

To initially accomadate immigrants there must be spend an initial expendature of surplus value before the immigrants manage to do enough work to add to the surplus value of the fortress. Once that happens the total amount of surplus value in the fortress is greater and the fortress hence can therefore accomadate even more immigrants producing even greater surplus value (and so on).  If surplus value is mostly expended privately (upgrading personal rooms say), since the number of people goes up as surplus value does no increase in wealth per capita is generated by immigration, except possibly for the migrants if their new home is richer than their old one.  However if the surplus is invested collectively (upgrading dining rooms say) then the more the total surplus value there is, the greater wealth there is per capita, since the benefit of collective expenditure of surplus value is enjoyed by many people at once. 

Since in DF society expends the majority of it's surplus value collectively (armies are a collective expenditure of surplus value by the way), then dwarves would presently look upon a refugee camp in much the same way that they look upon a vein of gold or gems.  They would probably all be competing with eachother for the right to have said refugees migrate into their sites (war might even break out over it). 

I don't need a crystal ball to see a set of stairs and conclude that the go up or down from where I'm standing.

I don't know what the state of the game will be in 20 years, I do know what toady has said in Future of the fortress, dev talks and put on the dev page which allow me to guesstimate where it could be.

Neither are the devs experts in the future. 

Quote from: September 2015 DF Talk
The gambling/games/price-setting/rent/etc. part of the tavern release was made problematic by the lack of economy, and we might wait on that until the value of things is more natural and coins are floating around again (or whatever ends up happening).  The myth generator goes in with the artifact release (there might be one release there or we might find a good split point).

They have not quite decided what exactly they are going to do.

As I've said I'm no economy expert and I don't pretend to be I don't see this as a perfect economy because I don't see any economy and that is because not only is the current global trade system a farce but within fort mode everyone act like an ant doing whats best for the colony without selfish thoughts getting in the way which is something I find to be unrealistic from "sapient" beings like dwarf or humans and this intern lowers the integrity of the simulation imho.

The Idea that DF will remain with this "Perfect" system is something I just don't see as true, I don't think DF is about making a "perfect system" but a fantasy world where the player can partake in all the usual fantasy world roles.

The dwarves live like ants so why would they not think and behave somewhat like ants? 

I am not saying that dwarves should be selfless creatures but is there a problem with sentient creatures selflessly doing what is best for the colony like ants do?  Is altruism somehow subhuman in your view? 

There *is* an economy in the game at the moment.  There is supply (too much of it) and demand (too little of it), surplus value (a lot of it) which is invested in upgrading the fortress.  The dwarves behave optimally for creatures that live like ants, that is they behave like ants.  However as you correctly point out, dwarves are not supposed to be ants and nor do they all have 100 altruism value, hence certain dwarves should disrupt the functioning of the fortress and we should be given a number of tools to deal with them, basically various forms of carrot+stick. 

However the language that is consistantly used in these threads and by the devs seems to reduce the definition of an economy to the use of coins. 

And I think that many of these role's are dependent on an Imperfect social/economic structure to be fully realized, I see the current "perfect economy" as a place holder for simulated imperfection.

And it they want to make a flawed economic system that works, they should start with the present perfect economic system and then 'break it' in various ways, while coming up with various mechanics for us to stitch it all back up again to varying degrees of success.

What about the fact the there was a functional adv mode conversation system that they replaced?  the emotion and personality rewrite? you could say these are expansions to existing mechanic and I say that the return of the economy is an expansion of the existing economy mechanic which I feel is flawed in its "Perfection", is it they strictly necessary? no but I feel that it will make the simulation better by its inclusion.

They instituted a whole antlike economic model and then they made a whole economic model that 'properly uses coins' to arbiterily replace the first economic model.  All of it was of course totally as I said, a redundant replacement rather than an expansion; this shown by how all they had to do to get things as they are at the moment was simply to switch off the arbiterily added in 'economy' that was a redundant replacement mechanic functioning solely to get the dwarves 'properly using coins'.  If you are right then they fully intend to make the same mistake all over again and expend even more development time in vain; fortunately I have no reason to think they have not worked out themselves basically what I am telling you.

Basically they would then have taken 3X the time they could have taken in order to add a functional economy into the game.  They spent the time to make the initial functional economy, then they spent the time to make a dysfunctional economy and then they spent the time needed to make a third economy which would then work.  Of course that third replacement economy might not work either so we are onto 4X or 5X. 

I don't think that the current economy was ever intended nor do I think it fits toady's goal.

Why does it exist then?  Initially it was intended to be the initial state to be then replaced by a whole new economic system when the fortress advanced enough for 'some reason'. 

And as I've said I think the goal is to create a society that enable plays to experience the standard fantasy tropes, if this mean intentionally adding "Imperfections" to its economic or social structures then so be it.

as for those who don't want poverty stricken peasants, he could add a raw tag or init option that turns off the economy leaving the "utopia" untouched, I just don't think it will be the default setting.

That is the core problem.  For the sake of those tropes Toady One wants creatures that behave like actual medieval people rather than ant people but actual medieval people never lived in warrens under the ground like ants.  Toady One quickly realises he must add in an 'initial' economic model because the medieval people economy model he is using would never initially work.  He thinks that, well when things advance enough in the fortress then they will naturally slip into a functional medieval state, since the problem is 'clearly' lack of development. 

Instead of mining the medieval past in a George R.R Martin sense the team could instead of made an analysis of what they had actually created and how it could be developed further.  Doing so would have saved all that wasted time and produced something more interesting than simply a middle ages clone society.  The following of points set would do.

1. Presently our fantasy dwarves are behaving more like ants than medieval people.
2. Since fantasy dwarves live underground in a manner that resembles ants this actually makes sense.
3. How do fantasy dwarves differ from ants?
4. Based upon how fantasy dwarves are not like ants how would their society not be like an ant hill.
5. Develop an unique social and economic order from the Status Quo that takes into account both 4.

What I've inferred from Toady's comments in future of the fortress, dev talks and the development page goals, is it a perfect system? no but until toady himself posts an answer in this thread its reasonable to me.

It is objectively a perfect system for the present sites that exist.  The global economy would not presently function that is true but the internal fortress economy is perfect and it's logics should be extended to the former. 

I don't know DF's code but he might need to complete strip out the current ownership system to make it possible for an individual to own pieces of a site and then build, renovate or change these pieces without owning the whole site, as I understand it this is handled by site government so to do it yourself could need a rewrite which is something I support.

Why would have to any such overhaul?  He can create mansions as sites with the player as a position-holder in the site or he can have mansions as part of an existing site but assigned to the player much like rooms already are.  Not only are no major overhauls needed, but these options avoid the kind of anachronism created by having truly privately owned mansions in the present social order (it would actually be anachronistic in real medieval times as well, since truly private land ownership did not exist anywhere until 17th Century England). 

To a follower who wants death and glory yes it is unreasonable but where getting bards and travailing musical bands next release and the ability to "Hire" guards in the merchant ark and they might have different motivations in which case it would not be unreasonable for them and what about the "Caring for live stock" part? that could be indefinite yet its listed alongside guarding sites instead of alongside the unreasonable request point which listed guarding a random wilderness location.

It says site not mansion. 

Why? because I said I'm not an expert and then went on to say what I remembered from the history channel?

What I remember is that most peasants didn't have actual money and lived in a barter based society where goods and labor where traded for goods and labor, because the peasant didn't have actual money they paid tax's to the local lord in goods and labor. its entirely possible that its got nothing to do with medieval economy as I also vaguely remember something about serfdom in England but as I said I'm no expert. I trust that toady will look at what actual economy's existed in the time period he wants the game to present and then analyze those systems and model them for his game.

Also is being called George R.R Martin supposed to be some kind of insult? because I think most people would take it as a complement, personally I don't care so call me whatever you like.

I would like to point out that with all your comments about DF economy being perfect you have proven my point that your focused on what DF is now not what it will be and I'm not saying that what I think is the objective truth and is guaranteed to happen just that any of the current systems are subject to change and that I think an improved version of the original economy will happen.

The problem is that inference between DF and Middle Ages is almost totally invalid. The George R.R Martin defense is when you try to use historical accuracy as a justification or reason for adding in to a fictional world a large amount of unpleasant elements (sexism, rape, random atrocities in his case).  It is like the starving peasants earlier, that there were starving peasants in medieval times does not mean that Toady One *has* to wreck the game economy that presently does not support starving peasants (unless everybody at the site is one) because DF Fortress is not Medieval Times. 

That is what I call "There were no dragons" answer to the "George R.R Martin defense", Westeros is not medieval Europe because there were no dragons in medieval Europe.  So if the the devs want to add starving peasants into their world it is an active choice on their part, it is not something they have has to do for reasons of historical accuracy.  In my opinion a truly talented author is defined by their ability to develop a fictional element *as* itself as opposed to forever trying to develop it in line with it's initial inspiration, whether that is real history or another authors element (I *am* a fantasy author by the way  8) 8)).  So if the team manage to truly make their dwarves into something that is *not* medieval people or Tolkien's dwarves that would be a greater accomplishment than mindlessly replicating them as a society of medieval peasants; but to do that they must grow what is already there and not throw everything away that does not fit with the source. 

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 05:12:27 am »

Neither are the devs experts in the future. 

But they do decide the future of DF so using what they say as a measuring stick is about all any of us can do.

Quote from: September 2015 DF Talk
The gambling/games/price-setting/rent/etc. part of the tavern release was made problematic by the lack of economy, and we might wait on that until the value of things is more natural and coins are floating around again (or whatever ends up happening).  The myth generator goes in with the artifact release (there might be one release there or we might find a good split point).

September 15 DF talk? do you have a link because I want to read it, the last DF talk on the main page says nov 2014 and in that they said.

Threetoe:    So the next question is from Matthew, and he asks, "Is there any chance of seeing a return of the dwarven economy any time soon?"
Toady:    The things that we're working on with the start scenarios, as we may have mentioned before, are linked in to adding information about property and laws. That should get us positioned to really put that stuff back in. We had problems with not having the armies moving around made it impossible to do caravans properly. And we didn't really have any good information on who owned what and that kind of thing. So we've been working on it framework-wise all this time, and hopefully, once the start scenarios are complete, we'll be in a good position to make decisions about where we are with that. Whether it's going to be working straight in on trading stuff or continuing to come at it obliquely.

all this makes me think that their no happy with the current system, I'll admit that they might just modify the current system piece by piece but if they do so I imagine the end result will be so heavily modify that it might as well be a different system altogether, one capable of supporting poverty stricken peasants as a default for trope purposes.

They have not quite decided what exactly they are going to do.

last I heard was they where thinking about using a serfdom system, but it is true until its time to program its easily subject to change.

The dwarves live like ants so why would they not think and behave somewhat like ants? 

Because ants are non sapient creature and dwarf are supposed to be sapient, I see that as a Massive difference.

I am not saying that dwarves should be selfless creatures but is there a problem with sentient creatures selflessly doing what is best for the colony like ants do?  Is altruism somehow subhuman in your view? 

Its not subhuman but dwarfs are no more altruistic then humans in the games raws and assuming that DF human are like us rl humans then the fact that I've never heard of a human civilization that worked like that make me see that as unrealistic.

I suppose I just don't believe such "Pure" altruism can exist in a sapient species, which is why Star Trek's Federation isn't believable to me.

I'm a morale relativist and don't believe good or evil are anything more then ideas and while many people see being human as doing altruist or good things and they also see people like Hitler as evil subhuman monsters I just see Hitler as a man with a different belief system then me nothing more.

There *is* an economy in the game at the moment.  There is supply (too much of it) and demand (too little of it), surplus value (a lot of it) which is invested in upgrading the fortress.  The dwarves behave optimally for creatures that live like ants, that is they behave like ants.  However as you correctly point out, dwarves are not supposed to be ants and nor do they all have 100 altruism value, hence certain dwarves should disrupt the functioning of the fortress and we should be given a number of tools to deal with them, basically various forms of carrot+stick. 

However the language that is consistantly used in these threads and by the devs seems to reduce the definition of an economy to the use of coins. 

Dwarfs have the same altruism value as humans so their altruistic tendency's should be the same as humans and considering they will need other economic models for the non dwarf civs its the perfect time to replace the dwarf one as well.

And it they want to make a flawed economic system that works, they should start with the present perfect economic system and then 'break it' in various ways, while coming up with various mechanics for us to stitch it all back up again to varying degrees of success.

And I feel that they should scrap the current system and build one using real world models, as I've said the current system just isn't believable to me.

They instituted a whole antlike economic model and then they made a whole economic model that 'properly uses coins' to arbiterily replace the first economic model.  All of it was of course totally as I said, a redundant replacement rather than an expansion; this shown by how all they had to do to get things as they are at the moment was simply to switch off the arbiterily added in 'economy' that was a redundant replacement mechanic functioning solely to get the dwarves 'properly using coins'.  If you are right then they fully intend to make the same mistake all over again and expend even more development time in vain; fortunately I have no reason to think they have not worked out themselves basically what I am telling you.

Basically they would then have taken 3X the time they could have taken in order to add a functional economy into the game.  They spent the time to make the initial functional economy, then they spent the time to make a dysfunctional economy and then they spent the time needed to make a third economy which would then work.  Of course that third replacement economy might not work either so we are onto 4X or 5X. 

The time spent on the current economy was partially spent making the old one which was removed, they then patched the holes that removing it left giving us what we have now.

(dwarfs claimed rooms and paid rent now they don't pay rent, dwarfs took food and paid for it now they just take ect.)

While I feel that they might of realized what you see I feel that it probably wont be keep it because its an ant like model and dwarfs aren't ants, if they do just modify the current system I hope they modify it thoroughly enough that its nothing like the current perfect economy.

It doesn't matter to me if it take 10X to get it just right, just so long as the social economic perfection is removed.

Why does it exist then?  Initially it was intended to be the initial state to be then replaced by a whole new economic system when the fortress advanced enough for 'some reason'. 

because its the easiest and simplest stop gap until they do a full replacement.

That is the core problem.  For the sake of those tropes Toady One wants creatures that behave like actual medieval people rather than ant people but actual medieval people never lived in warrens under the ground like ants.  Toady One quickly realises he must add in an 'initial' economic model because the medieval people economy model he is using would never initially work.  He thinks that, well when things advance enough in the fortress then they will naturally slip into a functional medieval state, since the problem is 'clearly' lack of development. 

Instead of mining the medieval past in a George R.R Martin sense the team could instead of made an analysis of what they had actually created and how it could be developed further.  Doing so would have saved all that wasted time and produced something more interesting than simply a middle ages clone society.  The following of points set would do.

1. Presently our fantasy dwarves are behaving more like ants than medieval people.
2. Since fantasy dwarves live underground in a manner that resembles ants this actually makes sense.
3. How do fantasy dwarves differ from ants?
4. Based upon how fantasy dwarves are not like ants how would their society not be like an ant hill.
5. Develop an unique social and economic order from the Status Quo that takes into account both 4.

1. Their current ant behavior is a place holder until personality facets and values can play a larger part in the individual decision making process.
2. They also live above ground in hillocks and have a nobility system reminiscent of humans.
3. They aren't insects, they don't have a progenitor queen, they are sapient individuals with personal goals.
4. They would behave more like subterranean humans with similar social economic structures then ants with sapience.
5. Model a human social economic system then adapt it to any specific issue that dwarfs might face.

the basic's of civilization value changes was added with scholars and while this doesn't have any effect yet it does lay the base for a gradual change within site allow a slight ramp from the initial "Ant" economy to a more sapient "individual" economy.

Also they will have to make other economic model for the non dwarfs civilizations anyway because their are human, goblin and elves civs that need economy systems and I actually see the elves as the only ones capable of keeping the current system with their hippy mentality and even then they would need the "breaking" adjustments that you are suggesting for dwarfs.

It is objectively a perfect system for the present sites that exist.  The global economy would not presently function that is true but the internal fortress economy is perfect and it's logics should be extended to the former.

I actually meant is my inferring stuff is an imperfect system.

As for the economy I've said before I see this as a place holder and no such system has ever worked for human and it just feels fake to me and I feel like it isn't possible for anything species that has individual identity to have such an economy and that only some kind of "hive mind" could actually make it work.

Why would have to any such overhaul?  He can create mansions as sites with the player as a position-holder in the site or he can have mansions as part of an existing site but assigned to the player much like rooms already are.  Not only are no major overhauls needed, but these options avoid the kind of anachronism created by having truly privately owned mansions in the present social order (it would actually be anachronistic in real medieval times as well, since truly private land ownership did not exist anywhere until 17th Century England). 

And if the player is rich enough to own the land or mansion but is only a member not any kind of leader or position holder, because as it stand only the "Government" can build anything it would need a rewrite to enable a peasant to build something by themselves.

It says site not mansion. 

True, but that doesn't provide an answer about hires or people who are followers for reasons other then death and glory.

The problem is that inference between DF and Middle Ages is almost totally invalid. The George R.R Martin defense is when you try to use historical accuracy as a justification or reason for adding in to a fictional world a large amount of unpleasant elements (sexism, rape, random atrocities in his case).  It is like the starving peasants earlier, that there were starving peasants in medieval times does not mean that Toady One *has* to wreck the game economy that presently does not support starving peasants (unless everybody at the site is one) because DF Fortress is not Medieval Times. 

Such things (sexism, rape, random atrocities) make it a more believable simulation to me, to put it simply I find the very idea of a utopia actually existing to be unrealistic in the extreme, I don't think that "good" will ever triumph over "evil" and vice versa both as are subjective aspects of reality imho, I'm a pragmatic pessimist just so you know and yes I know that the pragmatic solution is to adjust the current system but because they will have to add economy's for the non dwarfs civs they might as well remove the (imho) unbelievable system for dwarfs as well.

That is what I call "There were no dragons" answer to the "George R.R Martin defense", Westeros is not medieval Europe because there were no dragons in medieval Europe.  So if the the devs want to add starving peasants into their world it is an active choice on their part, it is not something they have has to do for reasons of historical accuracy.  In my opinion a truly talented author is defined by their ability to develop a fictional element *as* itself as opposed to forever trying to develop it in line with it's initial inspiration, whether that is real history or another authors element (I *am* a fantasy author by the way  8) 8)).  So if the team manage to truly make their dwarves into something that is *not* medieval people or Tolkien's dwarves that would be a greater accomplishment than mindlessly replicating them as a society of medieval peasants; but to do that they must grow what is already there and not throw everything away that does not fit with the source.

the devs of this game are not authors, the point of DF is to make the game the author, its why more and more procedurally generated content gets added, actually thinking about it they would probably prefer to make a procedurally generated economy if they could.

I don't see it as "sticking" to the source but making their ideal dwarfs a "reality" and if that means keeping this system as is? so be it but if it means trowing this system out then that's that, basically its about what do they want their dwarfs to be and I don't think the answer is "Ant People" as we already have them and their one of the many animal people types.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 07:55:13 am »

Sorry to differ, but they indeed are authors, or at least Three Toe is one indeed. Dwarf fortress do have most of it's content procedurally generated, but we also have a lore base and fantasy setting fleshed out for it. Not counting the mods, the game has a very solid "lore", not history wise, but it's entities, civilizations and general characteristics are.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 08:02:35 am »

Sorry to differ, but they indeed are authors, or at least Three Toe is one indeed. Dwarf fortress do have most of it's content procedurally generated, but we also have a lore base and fantasy setting fleshed out for it. Not counting the mods, the game has a very solid "lore", not history wise, but it's entities, civilizations and general characteristics are.

I get what your saying but a couple dozen pages hard "lore" doesn't make them authors to me and when you consider that their moving more and more aspects of the game to procedural generation and that history is written by the game then saying game is the author is within reason to me.

Edit: I just thought of an example.

lets say there are three guy's in a room and two of them are vividly discussing ideas about a fantasy world that mixes their favorite parts of other fantasy worlds/settings while the third just listens, the two having the discussion stop to go get a beer and the third goes and writes a novel using some of what they've said and some of his own (procedural stuff).

Now who would you call the author of that novel? I would say the third guy with no hesitation or doubt.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:16:12 am by JesterHell696 »

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 02:58:52 pm »

But they do decide the future of DF so using what they say as a measuring stick is about all any of us can do.

Yes, but it does not mean that everything we should be doing here is solely coming up with new ideas.  We can engage in constructive criticism of their existing ideas.

September 15 DF talk? do you have a link because I want to read it, the last DF talk on the main page says nov 2014 and in that they said.

Sorry, I mean Future of the Fortress Reply September 2015.

Future of the Fortress

all this makes me think that their no happy with the current system, I'll admit that they might just modify the current system piece by piece but if they do so I imagine the end result will be so heavily modify that it might as well be a different system altogether, one capable of supporting poverty stricken peasants as a default for trope purposes.

The answer is framed by the question being asked and by the terminology being used.  The Economy has come to basically mean coins and payment, quite different from what an economy actually means, the main problem with it is not the abscence or presence of coins but the massive glut of surplus value that cannot be absorbed except by an anachronistic caravan that acts as an infinite demand sink.  When a person asks "when is the Economy coming back" the whole question is really "when is coins and payment going to come back". 

To which the team tend essentially to respond (quite wisely), "when it makes sense".  The real question we should be asking here is not "when will the Economy come back?" but "what is the Economy going to actually do and why does it make sense?"

Because ants are non sapient creature and dwarf are supposed to be sapient, I see that as a Massive difference.

This is why I said that you consider altruism essentially subhuman.  You are shown a whole fictional society (ablait one created seemingly by accident) of sentiant creatures that work selflessly for the common good, creatures that presently have a history, emotions, art, soon enough music, literature and poetry and the first thought that comes into your head is not that they resemble sentiant ants but that they do not resemble sentiant creatures. 

There is no fundermental problem with sentiant ant-people existing JesterHell, the only problem is that we are supposed to have dwarf-people not ant-people.  The problem is that fantasy dwarves have always been depicted behaving in a fundermentally similar way to ants, so an ant-person is actually a better dwarf than a dwarf-person.  The reason we accidentally have ant-people is because the perfect dwarf *is* an ant-person.

Its not subhuman but dwarfs are no more altruistic then humans in the games raws and assuming that DF human are like us rl humans then the fact that I've never heard of a human civilization that worked like that make me see that as unrealistic.

I suppose I just don't believe such "Pure" altruism can exist in a sapient species, which is why Star Trek's Federation isn't believable to me.

I'm a morale relativist and don't believe good or evil are anything more then ideas and while many people see being human as doing altruist or good things and they also see people like Hitler as evil subhuman monsters I just see Hitler as a man with a different belief system then me nothing more.

The Star Trek Federation is not built on altruism.  It is built upon a technology called the universal replicator that allows a single person to produce pretty much an infinite amount of surplus value.  It is basically what we would have on a global scale if we tried to make a world of DF games.  Every player dwarf with any skill at all produces a vast amount of surplus value, so much that if the whole world consisted of player dwarves we would be living in a post-scarcity society (aka Star Trek). 

The thing you are missing here is evolution, biological evolution, social evolution, epigenetic adaptation (it does not matter as it is all going to be working the same way).  Dwarves and ants live in a similar manner, they both live is vast underground edifaces of *collective labour*; I cannot stress this difference enough. 

Compare this with humans who have lived for most of their existance in small bands wandering the wilderness picking berries and then they live scattered about as individual families in peasant hovels all working to grow enough to eat.  At no point in this evolution did they live in vast underground bunkers, each human family does not fundermentally depend upon other human families for it's survival in the same manner. 

Dwarfs have the same altruism value as humans so their altruistic tendency's should be the same as humans and considering they will need other economic models for the non dwarf civs its the perfect time to replace the dwarf one as well.

What dwarves happen to be believe or even what they happen to personally be like does not determine the fundermental economic reality.  The fundermental economy reality is the enviroment in which the dwarves live, *not* what the dwarf is prior to any exposure to his reality. 

The sky over a human peasants head and the ground under his feet were never created by the collective labour of his whole society.  He is free therefore to hoard food while his neighbors starve to death, he is also liable to invent laws, ideologies and governments that secure his 'right' to do so.  The dwarf on the other hand, his sky is mantained by the collective labour of all the dwarves in his fortress, he cannot hold up the sky alone; If the other dwarves perish, then the sky will fall and he will die.  The self-interest of every individual dwarf is to ensure the wellbeing of every individual dwarf because the collective surplus labour of all dwarves is what holds up his sky. 

It does not matter that dwarves are not personally perfectly altruistic beings.  They are altruistic enough to sustain their society or else they will perish or cease to be dwarves.  If humans are as altruistic as dwarves, it does not mean that dwarves should cease to be dwarves and become human peasants; it means that human peasants can potentially become a functioning part of dwarf society. 

This brings us to the whole question of having seperate economic systems for different creatures.  The complication here is that while creatures systems may be based upon their environment, they are also not equal in their level of development.  Something that Tolkien did not apparently realise is that throwing a dwarf fortress into a basically medieval world is rather the equivilant of throwing a skyscraper in.  Considering that they have built a skyscraper without the modern tools to do so, just how SCARY are dwarves to everybody else.  We know that the amount of surplus value required to build a fortress is considerably greater than to build any other kind of settlement (the forest retreat is actually probably free), but since dwarf fortresses are around in Yr 0 the conclusion follows.

The dwarves were clearly already hard at work building their first fortress long before Yr 0 because there is no way the first fortress could have been built (assuming realistic mining difficulty) within the same time frame as the first hamlet.  For that reason it is likely the dwarf fortress is actually the catalyst for the emergance of civilization in the first place, the others are essentially playing catchup, hence the model they are using for their own settlements is actually the dwarf model, adjusted according to their own values and nature. 

Since dwarves should use the ant-people model modified to the fact that they are not ant-people (ant-people are afterall the perfect dwarves), the others would simply use the dwarf model adjusted for how they are not dwarves.  Hence there is no need to introduce a new basic model for each civilization because the same system used to adjust the dwarves societies according to their nature and values would ALSO work to adjust everybody else according to theirs. 

And I feel that they should scrap the current system and build one using real world models, as I've said the current system just isn't believable to me.

What a sad world you must live in if you cannot believe that people are capable of volunterily working to help people they personally know and would actually put up with people they personally know starving to death. 

The time spent on the current economy was partially spent making the old one which was removed, they then patched the holes that removing it left giving us what we have now.

(dwarfs claimed rooms and paid rent now they don't pay rent, dwarfs took food and paid for it now they just take ect.)

While I feel that they might of realized what you see I feel that it probably wont be keep it because its an ant like model and dwarfs aren't ants, if they do just modify the current system I hope they modify it thoroughly enough that its nothing like the current perfect economy.

It doesn't matter to me if it take 10X to get it just right, just so long as the social economic perfection is removed.

What I am saying is that the whole thing was fundermentally redundant and a waste of development time.  If they repeat the same mistake all over again then they will have wasted 3X the time and if that does not work 4X of the time etc. 

What they should instead do is identify that they have created a perfect social order for ant-people.  Then come up with an ant-person and decide what personality/values the ant-person would generally have.  Then they should look at how their dwarf resembles an ant-person and how he resembles the opposite of an ant-person and figure out how the various elements of the ant-person society would break down.  Having done this they can have the game proceedurely generate laws and institutions in order to 'fix' the problem, maybe creating new problems, to which new solutions can be generated. 

In this system, the whole society's economic order can shift as the creature's that make it up change (nature) or because their values shift (nurture).  Therefore there is no way society has to remain fixed in time, regardless of what happens and it is actually possible for people to actually change things, either for better or worse. 

because its the easiest and simplest stop gap until they do a full replacement.

The reason it is there is because the team quickly figured out their desired economic model, loosely ripped off from medieval society would not work, so they came up with a simple ant-like model for use that would work.  They misdiagnised the nature of the problem, thinking that it was solely due to the undeveloped nature of their society and once sufficiant wealth was established everything would work, but they were wrong. 

1. Their current ant behavior is a place holder until personality facets and values can play a larger part in the individual decision making process.
2. They also live above ground in hillocks and have a nobility system reminiscent of humans.
3. They aren't insects, they don't have a progenitor queen, they are sapient individuals with personal goals.
4. They would behave more like subterranean humans with similar social economic structures then ants with sapience.
5. Model a human social economic system then adapt it to any specific issue that dwarfs might face.

the basic's of civilization value changes was added with scholars and while this doesn't have any effect yet it does lay the base for a gradual change within site allow a slight ramp from the initial "Ant" economy to a more sapient "individual" economy.

Also they will have to make other economic model for the non dwarfs civilizations anyway because their are human, goblin and elves civs that need economy systems and I actually see the elves as the only ones capable of keeping the current system with their hippy mentality and even then they would need the "breaking" adjustments that you are suggesting for dwarfs.

No, the elves are the one's who not only would have the hardest time sustaining the ant-society but really would have a hard time actually mantaining a society AT ALL.  The reason is the very opposite of the situation with dwarves.  Elves are hunter-gatherers (minus the hunting) who go about the place living in trees and picking fruit, that is to say that if dwarves are ants then elves are MONKEYS!  Trees are everywhere about, as are plants to eat, so why do elves even need to cooperate at all ever?

Elf society is therefore clearly an echo of some other society, elves are organised into a society in order to protect the woods they live in because while the world is mostly empty at the moment with too low a population to do much damage they can forsee a future when it isn't but they being immortal must face that future.  As mentioned before, forest retreats are the cheapest type of site to construct in surplus value terms, so probably the elves were the last civilization to form before Yr 0. 

I actually meant is my inferring stuff is an imperfect system.

As for the economy I've said before I see this as a place holder and no such system has ever worked for human and it just feels fake to me and I feel like it isn't possible for anything species that has individual identity to have such an economy and that only some kind of "hive mind" could actually make it work.

You are trying to say that Hutterites aren't human.  Groups of 200 human people have been known to cooperate in the same ant-like manner that the dwarves presently do.  The sky also does not fall on Hutterite heads if they fail to cooperate properly. 

The fortress does not work based upon a "hive mind"!  It works because we have a Mayor/Expedition Leader, a Manager, a Militia Captain, a Captain of the Guard, a Bookkeeper and a Broker. 

And if the player is rich enough to own the land or mansion but is only a member not any kind of leader or position holder, because as it stand only the "Government" can build anything it would need a rewrite to enable a peasant to build something by themselves.

The peasant is homeless and his site does not want homeless peasants so they build him a home.  If the site government does not give him a home, the peasant will not go through the bother to build a home of his own simply to remain part of a site that treats him like dirt; he moves to another site that is prepared to house him. 

If all human sites are full of homeless, starving peasants like you would have it then all that would realistically happen is that all said peasants would go off to the dwarf fortress. The fortress, which craves the surplus value that human immigrants provide will invite the homeless, starving peasants over and give them food+housing.  Hence the wretched human civilization with all it's starving homeless peasants ceases to exist and only those human civilizations who can ape the dwarves and provide for the wellfare of their people survive.

True, but that doesn't provide an answer about hires or people who are followers for reasons other then death and glory.

The adventurer has very little to offer people at the moment other than the ability to become like him, an adventurer.  As said before, you cannot take a guard that guards a settlement, offer him a life of adventure and then simply set him to guarding your own mansion, which provides him with a worse quality of life than he got at the site without this being seen as a betrayal.

Such things (sexism, rape, random atrocities) make it a more believable simulation to me, to put it simply I find the very idea of a utopia actually existing to be unrealistic in the extreme, I don't think that "good" will ever triumph over "evil" and vice versa both as are subjective aspects of reality imho, I'm a pragmatic pessimist just so you know and yes I know that the pragmatic solution is to adjust the current system but because they will have to add economy's for the non dwarfs civs they might as well remove the (imho) unbelievable system for dwarfs as well.

At least there are no dwarves in George R.R Martin's world.  ;) ;) ;)

the devs of this game are not authors, the point of DF is to make the game the author, its why more and more procedurally generated content gets added, actually thinking about it they would probably prefer to make a procedurally generated economy if they could.

I don't see it as "sticking" to the source but making their ideal dwarfs a "reality" and if that means keeping this system as is? so be it but if it means trowing this system out then that's that, basically its about what do they want their dwarfs to be and I don't think the answer is "Ant People" as we already have them and their one of the many animal people types.

The devs of the game have so far been behaving very much like fantasy writers in making their own, extremely deriative fantasy world.  For all the buzz about procedural generation, it is always essentially the exact same story, the dwarves are dwarves, the elves are elves, the humans are humans, the goblins are goblins.  The only really unpredictable elements of the game is what people and places are called, exactly what the map looks like and exactly what order every event happens in. 

They have created the game as an author creates a book.  They have a list of plot elements that they want to see happen, they create a world in order to support the plot, whether that plot is fortress mode or adventurer mode and during the course of the plot more and more of the world is revealed (mostly in adventurer mode at the moment). 

I actually want a proceedurely generated economy and I think I know how they could do it.  Everybody starts off with an ant-like communal society where everybody works for the collective good and shares everything (no changes needed here), then it breaks down in a particular area due to the values+personality of the creature itself.  If you actually have a creature that actually has the values+personality of an anti-person then nothing will ever change.  Then when a particular element breaks down, a solution is devised based also upon the nature and values of the creature in one respect but this solution can create new problems in practice. 

Really there are only two core economic issues, the supply of work and the distribution of value.  Dwarf society will likely never evolve to pay or coerce people to work hard because in that side of the equation they are rather ant-like.  It is the latter element however that will lead to breakdown/change, since dwarves are not particularly altruistic or non-materialistic they will squabble over how the goods are assigned among individuals even while they are happy to work for free.  Initially the leaders will start to help themselves to nice things out of the collective wealth all the dwarves have produced, but since dwarves are not devoid of envy other dwarves also want to the same thing for themselves.  Since dwarves understand the value of craftdwarfship, the skilled workers band together to form guilds who disrupt the economy by going on strike.  Since dwarves are not sufficiantly cruel to simply kill the strikers, they have to negotiate a 'social compact' by which they are guaranteed certain privilages similar to those already enjoyed by the nobles in return for never going on strike.  As long as dwarves respect the law, the compact will hold up; so dwarf society has arrived at it's 'final form' (until somebody manages to convince them laws are silly).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 11:26:03 pm »

The former reality (overproduction) is basically contradictory with the latter ... if we are talking about a consistant world where the player's site is not somehow magical.
There's no contradiction. Not all sites are created equal, and not all goods are the same. The fishes highlight the problem with the current situation. You have way too much fish that will never rot, and won't be eaten particularly quickly. Add a few more fisherdwarves and your migrants begin to exist solely as a means to get rid of your surplus. So if we allow for a consistent world, and other sites are also drowning in fish, why in Armok's name would anyone want yours? Re-balance the food and you create meaningful jobs, as well as increase the buying power of food in a proper economy.

What I intend to do of course is simply to stockpile 1000s of fishes ...
Then the market is over-saturated with fish, which should mean something is unbalanced or you were relying too heavily on one good. At least your dwarves can get fed for practically nothing. Find something else to sell until next year. Maybe the civilization will grow and the capacity will expand.

The deadly part (to any functional economy) is that the situation cannot be solved by simply adjusting the value of fish.  Since the effective cost of fishes is 0 when you consider the universal oversupply of everything else you are producing as well ...
You've got a universal oversupply of steel goods? Must be nice. 

... At this point things get to why I said that working hard and producing more is not always rational ...
This does not mean that everyone can then change their profession to fisherdwarf and go on break all day. There are other things to do, other places to find work. Only after everything is in abundance can we begin the endless party. At that point you've pretty much won the economy.

Being employed is not the same thing as doing work. Idle dwarves are very much employed, it is just that their employer (the site government) has failed to find them work to do at the moment, which they will do if it is found.
And what if no such work becomes available for a prolonged time? Should they not find something to do in the meantime? Find another task that needs doing, or somewhere else to apply their trade?

Unemployment has nothing to do with there not being enough work, unemployment is due to the government not immediately hiring everybody first and *then* finding them work to do (or not). Since this is what presently exists, there is no unemployment in the dwarf society, merely employed dwarves waiting for their employer to give them actual work to do.
It ignores the issue of who is entitled to what. Does the fish cleaner get the gold throne, does it go to the baron, or does it go to the smith that forged it with communal resources?

Yes, however with a proper world economy the caravan demand-sink will not exist, so the inherant rationality of minimising idlers would actually go away. Thus we are into the buisness of actual make-work, the player is arbiterily creating demand in order than there be full employment, so that all dwarves get paid and are happy; or as I put it, digging holes and filling them in.
I also said that they could create an embark wagon or otherwise emigrate. Too many beards are bad for FPS anyways.

Interestingly this is basically why we ended up with workhouses, if people operate according to the principle that "those who do not work should not eat" the end result is that to stop people from starving the government ends up rounding the unemployed people up and 'making work' for them to do.
An alternative is modern welfare capitalism, where you get necessities but not luxuries.

There is a heirachy to these things. If an element of a bigger picture does not presently fit into the bigger picture then it is that element that is an anachronism, not the picture itself.
What makes the current economy part of the bigger picture? Why isn't the economy an anachronism of the in-depth world simulation (which includes detailed histories, emotions and motives, climatology, civilization growth, etc.)? And furthermore: Why is everything communally owned at the site level, yet the mountainhomes does not extend this courtesy when the caravan rolls in? (It's not even a 1:1 trade.)

Economics does not care whether the hero is motivated by it. The hero depends upon the dystopian elements of the world for sustainance, just as the villain does. To be truly a hero however the hero needs to work to make the world less dystopian, thus making his own life and that of other future heroes less sustainable. ...
The hero is no longer the hero when he perpetuates evil to ensure his livelihood. When the evil is vanquished the hero returns home (if it still remains) and picks up the pieces of his life. If he took up the calling for fame and fortune, he is more mercenary than hero.

Yes very much so. However if the devs were able to do that successfully (balance production and demand) there would still be no unemployement and if unemployment did somehow arise then the solution would still be digging holes and filling them in to fix it.
It's fine if there's no unemployment in player forts and long as there are NPC sites contain individuals that have motive to work for an adventurer over working in the terraforming industry.

Every labourer produces surplus value. ... Surplus value means the total amount of value that the dwarf produces on top of the amount of value the dwarf presently consumes. At the moment given the high levels of production, the low level of consumption and the general lack of item decay the surplus value of a single dwarf is vast.
But as you said earlier, the surplus of goods devalues the goods and the dwarves labor. You don't need any more fish, and the caravans shouldn't logically buy them. What you might really need is high quality armor, which you won't get by throwing more dwarves at it. In fact, you harm it by spreading out your skill gains. At a certain point each migrant can only add clutter and FPS death.

I'll also mention that nutrient levels for soil are planned to be tracked. This means that, alongside a food nerf, it will get to a point where the migrants begin to starve you out. This leads to a different kind of war over refugees.

I disagree. Most of the time I've seen the term used, it has more to do with ending shared items than anything.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7