Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Harder Food Mod, in progress  (Read 8159 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Harder Food Mod, in progress
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 03:48:16 pm »

[PRODUCT:100:5:DRINK:NONE:PLANT_MAT:<plant_id>:DRINK]

the direct line at least, normally there a "put to container" line that follows to add it to a container REAGENT also instead of PLANT_MAT it's usually GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:a:DRINK_MAT or some such

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 01:42:59 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

is the basic alcohol recipe.

Upon further research, I've decided to make the alcohol system involve at least 2 more steps per drink, which significantly ramps up the requirements for producing booze. Other food developments are pending, as the testing I've done for models so far hasn't been working out so well.

There was also a very, very nice approach I saw in the forums of making some foods spoil, even if they are in stockpiles. For example meat had HEAT_DAM of X and a FIXED_TEMP of X+n, resulting in meat-items slowly taking damage, until they destroy themselves. The mod (or mod idea) then added a reaction to prepare meat, either by salting it, smoking it, cooking it, etc, which needs one workstep and extra reagents like coke, salt, etc. to change the material from MEAT to PREPARED_MEAT, which does not have the slow damage.

Can you link the changes or message me with them, please?
The silver is responsible for this How?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 03:36:58 am »

Some talk about it here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139368.15 (you owe me something for that... no idea what, but that topic was somewhere on page 50+ of the modding forum)

Edit: And here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142897.msg5604728#msg5604728
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 02:21:54 pm »

Some talk about it here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139368.15 (you owe me something for that... no idea what, but that topic was somewhere on page 50+ of the modding forum)

Edit: And here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142897.msg5604728#msg5604728

I owe you one food mod? :D?
Thanks, Meph.

RE: Alcohol, after doing some research, the mostly realistic approach I would take would be to add 1 - 3 steps (3 steps for most of the alcohols) to alcohol production. Fuel and water would often be involved, along with steps involving additional workshops.

Is that too hard mode for most people? I could just add additional ingredients instead to each reaction to make them more resource-intensive, but I prefer the multiple step approach, so that you have dwarves malting and mashing and fermenting and so on in addition to the distillation / brewing dwarf, which makes a vital component of your fortress life a more labor-intensive matter, rather than just a scarcer component by simply reducing brew yields.

Opinions?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:40:52 pm by Jazzeraint »

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 05:55:16 pm »

For future reference,

works, but

does not, producing only two drinks total and consuming zero of the reagents.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2015, 06:34:44 pm »

Prototype for new drink system is a success. Turning Plump Helmets into Plump Helmet Wine now requires 4 reactions; one of those involves fuel. The final reaction only gives 1 drink per plant going into the reaction. (Too hardcore? Farming stacks can produce 1-9 plants per tile, so hey)

But to make alcohol production not completely onerous, all steps after the first have the [AUTOMATIC] tag. Also, each step but the last works two plant stacks at once (without disintegrating the data of one of them into the aether), so it's actually only 5 reactions per two drink stacks made. (I could potentially make the last step not automatic, so as to partially simulate aging your fermenting alcohol)

Based on all of this, I'm also going to be increasing the value of alcoholic drinks. Other mod things I've already done increase the amount of fuel in the game, so I don't think I'll be doing anything further to address the need for more fuel production (and the heightened desire for potash production).

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 10:22:30 pm »

Do you have magma variants of the workshops?  :D

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2015, 10:25:16 pm »

For future reference,

works, but

Is it because you're trying to put two different drink products into the same barrel?

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 10:28:37 pm »

Do you have magma variants of the workshops?  :D

Debating that. Magma seems like it might be the least ideal fuel source for a still...

For future reference,

works, but

Is it because you're trying to put two different drink products into the same barrel?

Maybe - but it does produce two different drink units in the barrel, it just only does 1 per. So... idk. Maybe the game freaks out at that.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2015, 10:32:15 pm »

Apparently adding [INDOOR_ORCHARDS] - and removing nothing else from base - to the Dwarven Civ makes it fail to survive in Worldgen. -_-;;;
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 10:38:30 pm by Jazzeraint »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 08:03:09 am »

A magma-still would be an amazing workshop and very dwarvy. Especially if it can make some high-end, valuable types of booze that you can only get with magma.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 12:14:21 pm »

Debating that. Magma seems like it might be the least ideal fuel source for a still...

But... magma brewed booze is the most dwarvy thing imaginable!

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 03:55:43 pm »

I tested removing [MEAT] from the Muscle definition. It still butchered fine, and showed up for Embark purchase, but it wasn't stockpiled in with food. When I forbid everything else, Dwarves eventually ate it, even though I removed [EDIBLE_RAW] and [EDIBLE_COOKED] from the material.

?!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:08:13 pm by Jazzeraint »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 04:03:11 pm »

I tested removing [MEAT] from the Muscle definition. It still butchered fine, and showed up for Embark purchase, but it wasn't stockpiled in with food. When I forbid everything else, Dwarves eventually ate it, even though I removed [EDIBLE_RAW] and [EDIBLE_COOKED] from the material.

?!
Because it's an item type; it will always be edible.

Once I made DRINK:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE (which is magma), and it easily fits into wooden barrels without setting anything on fire. Dwarf came by, drank it. No problem.

Any DRINK and any MEAT is edible by default as far as I know.

edit: you can try removing or replacing this: [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:MEAT:NONE] with something more suitable.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:04:54 pm by Meph »

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 04:13:24 pm »

?!
Because it's an item type; it will always be edible.

Once I made DRINK:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE (which is magma), and it easily fits into wooden barrels without setting anything on fire. Dwarf came by, drank it. No problem.

Any DRINK and any MEAT is edible by default as far as I know.

edit: you can try removing or replacing this: [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:MEAT:NONE] with something more suitable.

Would using something instead of DRINK break the 'dwarves need alcohol' system?

How would you add in a specific inorganic for BUTCHER_SPECIAL? [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:INORGANIC:SAUSAGE] ???

The biggest issue I'm dealing with now is that food items don't show up for purchase in embark if they don't have [EDIBLE_RAW] or [EDIBLE_COOKED], which makes modding all plants into not having those tokens to force harder cooking reactions a bit trifling. I think having a fake underground plant that never appears in the wild with all of the end products as growths might resolve that, though it's kind of weird.

And then for the meat, they get broken when [EDIBLE_COOKED] and [EDIBLE_RAW] are removed but are still eaten anyway. A combination of the deterioration scripts and adding a syndrome to raw meat would let [EDIBLE_COOKED] remain, but that's not ideal. At least the meals will still get removed in time, I suppose.

The HEATDAM strategy is a little wonky because of how largely uncontrollable temperature is, from my knowledge of the game.

Given the current food tags and cooking system, I suppose either a script or file change that automatically disables cooking on the stocks-kitchen screen for all materials and leaving that part up to the honor system would make things least awkwardly fanangled and let players choose between soft and hard core that way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4