Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make prepared meals require coal...  (Read 2385 times)

Catharsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make prepared meals require coal...
« on: September 08, 2015, 09:50:04 pm »

I search the board but didn't see any posts with "prepared meals" and "coal" so forgive me if this has been posted before.

Anyway, I think the absurd value of prepared meals is a little too high, but I think rather than simply nerf the value, we could instead require coal along with the ingredients. This would add a little more realism and also make you earn the value of said meals. It would also allow you to build a magma kitchen (or oven maybe?) as well, which seems very dorfy to me.

Also, I suggest making uncooked food more susceptible to vermin (or even rot, if that ever gets added in) to make an extra need for cooking besides the great value and the positive thoughts.

Thoughts?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make prepared meals require coal...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 10:50:16 pm »

*Munches on expertly minced salad. Coal??

I suspect when the work begins on recipes, the whole cooking thing will be overhauled. But yeah, cooked meals for the taverns and dining room, dwarves complaining about eating cold food for years. All sounds good.
I'm not sure there's much point spending time balancing the costs of stuff now when the economy is scheduled to be re-invented at some point.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 09:26:57 am »

The keyword is "fuel" rather than coal, it has gone on before.  Fuel and magma reach temperatures of 1000s of degrees, way more than you need for cooking.  Low temp heating is generally ignored by the game right now.  If you want to make hot food, you should find a different fuel for it than the furnace fuels or a different way to utilize them. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Catharsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 10:53:38 am »

The keyword is "fuel" rather than coal, it has gone on before.  Fuel and magma reach temperatures of 1000s of degrees, way more than you need for cooking.  Low temp heating is generally ignored by the game right now.  If you want to make hot food, you should find a different fuel for it than the furnace fuels or a different way to utilize them.

You're not putting the fuel in the food though, you're using it to heat the oven. Maybe there could be a time-based fuel use if it isn't magma-based, where you only need one fuel unit for every in-game week or whatever. And it wouldn't matter how much food you cook during that time period, since the fuel is burning away no matter what.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 06:49:49 pm »

You're not putting the fuel in the food though, you're using it to heat the oven. Maybe there could be a time-based fuel use if it isn't magma-based, where you only need one fuel unit for every in-game week or whatever. And it wouldn't matter how much food you cook during that time period, since the fuel is burning away no matter what.
It could use 1/10th units like item melting.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 07:16:08 pm »

I always imagined dwarven ovens were fueled with dry grass, rotten twigs, dead leaves and other non-valuable burnables.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 09:54:22 pm »

I always imagined dwarven ovens were fueled with dry grass, rotten twigs, dead leaves and other non-valuable burnables.

Yeah, there are a lot of reactions that would realistically require more stuff to do that dwarves seem to find just lying around.  Same with cooking. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Catharsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 03:23:30 am »

I mean, it's more realistic, even if it isn't completely realistic, but the main idea here is to balance an industry without killing it altogether.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 03:27:56 pm »

I think this will be dealt with once (or if) the workshop overhaul comes around. Just like is stated (if I recall correctly) that for example, a carpenter workshop would need nails, hammers, saws, tools in general, worktables, benches, drawers... and be more like an area (think of how hospital works), so it would the kitchen be reworked, having ovens, storages, ingredients, tools for cooking, pans, pots and of course coal/wood to fuel the ranges.

At least I like to believe so.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 05:25:48 pm »

I mean, it's more realistic, even if it isn't completely realistic, but the main idea here is to balance an industry without killing it altogether.
If the point is balance, then you're aiming at completely the wrong part of the equation.

Prepared meals shouldn't be worth such outlandish amounts in the first place, and (aside from a few made specifically for travel, like jerky) traders shouldn't accept them because they wouldn't survive the trip.

But asking for the fuel used for the stove to be a major part of the cost of making a meal is silly.  That doesn't make any sense; realistically, the fuel for the stove is negligible (ie. one unit of wood should be sufficient for many meals, even if it didn't use stuff like grass or peat.)  Demanding only coal, purely to justify the absurd value and tradeability of cooked meals?  That's just stacking absurdity on top of absurdity.

(I also think it's safe to assume that the absurd value of prepared meals is just a temporary thing that will get changed when trade is overhauled, so it's silly to use that as a basis for any other suggestions.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 06:57:16 am »

Elves
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 07:13:36 am »

You just won the internet.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!