Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Furry Fortress 2 - Rise of the Jackalopes  (Read 31838 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Furry Fortress 2 - Rise of the Jackalopes
« on: September 09, 2015, 12:08:12 am »

...Urist's interests were aroused now, so she asked the sage, "How did these creatures come about, these furries?"  The sage chuckled as he gazed back into time for the answer.  "It was Armok's doing, of course.  They say that one day Chaos Itself was watching the comings and goings of the dwarves when that dreadful boredom crept into his mind.  He looked away from the dwarves and saw the frollicking of little animals that no one thinks much about.  Armok was angered by their lack of ambition and shouted at them:  'You there!  What are you doing?  Stand up straight, speak up!  There you are, that's better.  Now pick up your tools and get to work!  That's right.  Will you frollick in the wilds while time decays or will you stand tall and make something of yourselves?'  And so they did." ...

Furry Fortress 2

Main Download Folder:  https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5_Jm8L6GFwcREp3TlJOcU5XN1E&usp=sharing

Spoiler: Instructions (click to show/hide)

Furry Fortress 2 is a collection of animal people civilizations, based on the popular Anthro art movement.  Each civilization has its own unique culture with their own weapons and styles of dress, and each race has their own special characteristics.  Besides these creatures, there are new metals and new reactions to make the game more flavorful.  For the most part, Furry Fortress is not much different from vanilla DF, so you should be able to jump in and play without much extra learning curve. 

Everything is very difficult to test, so if something doesn't seem correct, let me know, and feel free to offer suggestions. 

Spoiler: Metals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Weapon Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: New Reactions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: New Woods (click to show/hide)

New Races:
Spoiler: Vulps - Complete! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tadhgers - Complete! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lagomers - Complete! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Simiates- Complete! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mammovich - Complete! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Formicians - Complete! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Komodos - Complete! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gazeal - Complete! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pingu - Complete! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Haukyngr - Complete! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Leokin - Complete! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Horstang - Complete! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pandamon - Complete! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Snagas - Canceled... (click to show/hide)

I need to do a more complete explanation of what everything is.  For the moment, you'll have to check the raws. 

I am not working on FuFo anymore.  If you wish to contribute something or update it for newer versions of DF, please feel free.  I am still subscribed to this topic if you have questions. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 03:40:08 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress 2
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:57:52 am »

Could you explain a little more of what these would be like? Sorry if modern fantasy sums it really well I just don't understand what exactly that would entail.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 02:03:46 pm by Kitsune »
Hello I'm insane!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 11:56:26 am »

Could you explain a little more of what these would be like? Sorry if modern fantasy sums it really well I just don't understand what exactly that would entail.

Sure, they are based on Final Fantasy or Soul Eater type stuff.  Actually their equipment is already included in the raws, they have the sawblade, warscythe, and swallow for weapons, and their clothing includes tank tops, chaps, wetsuits, bikinis and bunny ears, among others.  They currently have a weapon called the gunsaber, which launches the same bullets used for slings, but I'm not sure I want to include that in the final version.  Another idea was the javsaber, a sword with an atlatl like notch on the back that allows it to launch javelins, but that might be too much of a stretch in a game that requires imagination.  Another thought was to give them boomerangs (blunt) and bladerangs (edged) or have them share the Vulp's ninja glove and shuriken. 

I'll bring this up too, the original theory was to make Sharkopaths all [CRAZED] but the more I think about it, that's going to be way too over-the-top. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 03:19:46 pm »

their clothing includes tank tops, chaps, wetsuits, bikinis and bunny ears, among others.
I actually know where you got the inspiration for the sharkopaths wearing chaps, bikinis and maybe wetsuits too.
Hello I'm insane!

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 12:45:25 pm »

The link to the Google Drive file says that it requires permission to download. Was this intentional?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 11:26:40 pm »

The link to the Google Drive file says that it requires permission to download. Was this intentional?

Heck no!  See if that fixes it. 

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 03:23:04 pm »

Not much interest in this right now, it seems. The whole modding community is in a bit of a drought right now. Still, I'll play a bit and post my thoughts so that the thread isn't so depressingly empty.

I might whip up a more caste-centric formic creature in a bit. Shouldn't be too complex.

EDIT:
Is there a 'download all' button or some similarly easy button I'm missing? I'm downloading every file individually and feel like I'm missing something.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 03:31:59 pm by Ruludos »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 08:05:27 pm »

Not much interest in this right now, it seems. The whole modding community is in a bit of a drought right now. Still, I'll play a bit and post my thoughts so that the thread isn't so depressingly empty.

I might whip up a more caste-centric formic creature in a bit. Shouldn't be too complex.

EDIT:
Is there a 'download all' button or some similarly easy button I'm missing? I'm downloading every file individually and feel like I'm missing something.

Sure, thanks. 

I don't know if Google has a download-all kind of button.  I've added a .zip file so you can download all of the things at once.  You'll still have to pick out the two graphic files. 

I've added a new file named entity_acesv_bad which makes entities for gabbro men, amethyst men, fire men, blizzard men, ogres, satyrs, sasquatches, molemerions and manera as goblin-like Dark Pit civs to offset the large number of "friendly" civs.  So far I've encountered a pair of lackluster invasions by satyrs and blizzard men, not as dangerous goblins actually, but we'll see if they ramp it up.  After more observations, I might change the DF originals with my own races with whatever I decide they need to be credible threats. 

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 08:23:45 am »

I don't know if Google has a download-all kind of button.  I've added a .zip file so you can download all of the things at once.  You'll still have to pick out the two graphic files.
Try putting your files in the correct subfolders of an empty raw folder, and zip that as FF2.zip.  Then the player can just unzip it on top of their DF folder.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 10:26:37 pm »

Try putting your files in the correct subfolders of an empty raw folder, and zip that as FF2.zip.  Then the player can just unzip it on top of their DF folder.

Great idea.  I was thinking for some reason that people would want to pick and choose which files they want to add to their game, but now that doesn't make much sense. 

NEW RACES:

Pingu (Penguin Pirates)
Komodos (Goanna Egyptians)
Gazeals (Gazelle Zulu)
Haukyngr (Hawk Vikings) "hawkings" 

I've included a new world file called SilMinbaz.  Sil Minbaz has Komodos and Pingues, but as far as I can tell, Gazeal and Haukyngr did not survive worldgen.  Some of the badguy civs are present in Sil Minbaz, I've been having fun fighting off Ogre ambushes in adventure mode.  The entire eastern side of Sil Minbaz is covered in a massive wilderness known as Myrium, the Pink Murk.  In the far east ocean is a Pingu civ, cut off from the rest of the continent by the Pink Murk, known as Sainnag Free, "the Roof of Temples".  The other civilizations are dotted across the west of the continent, mostly in the northern west.  It looks like an interesting place. 

I was hoping I could make all of the races playable as outsiders in adventure mode, but I don't see most of them available on the list. 

I've made a new furryfortress graphic that uses a warm-cool gradient instead of all grey, hoping to make the critter characters a little more interesting to look at.  It's a bit more vibrant, but might be difficult to see for some people, so if it bugs you, I've included the old graphic file as well. 

By the way, I've been thinking it would make things more interesting to give each race a few special reactions, like the Coal Maker reactions that Simiates get, but I haven't been able to think of any that would be particularly useful.  I would love some suggestions, preferably things that do not involve dfhack. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 10:51:08 pm by AceSV »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 12:05:14 am »

This seems interesting. Need to try it out.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 02:17:03 pm »

Okay, I'm playing a Komodo fortress, we got attacked by a Forgotten Beast made of chrysoberyl (Reko Shaftechoes, the Oblivion of Vomit) and I realized that all of my melee soldiers were only attacking with their shields, which accomplished nothing.  It looks like they brought melee weapons with them, there's a pyrochalcum pike lying on the ground near the bloodbath, but I don't see a single weapon attack in 25 pages of combat report.  They do bite and scratch, though still no sign of the elusive tail attack. 

Any idea what that's going on?  The Komodos have claws instead of fingernails, but that hasn't negatively affected them at all so far.  The ranged users seem to hold their weapons correctly. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:51:40 pm by AceSV »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress 2 - Why are you shield bashing?
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 07:54:35 pm »

Are you certain that the ones shield bashing had carried weapons on them?

Natural attacks shouldn't have an effect like this. The only exception I could possibly think of would be if they were classed as favourable attacks for multi-attacking.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 07:53:11 am »

Are you certain that the ones shield bashing had carried weapons on them?

Natural attacks shouldn't have an effect like this. The only exception I could possibly think of would be if they were classed as favourable attacks for multi-attacking.

Well I only noticed this after they started dying, but I did find weapons on the ground, and there's no shortage of weapons in this fortress.  I don't have enough komodos left to field a new melee squad, but I'll check their equipment next time. 

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 09:01:07 am »

ptw
Black lives matter.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11