Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Furry Fortress 2 - Rise of the Jackalopes  (Read 31867 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress 2 - What next...?
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2016, 12:25:34 pm »

Should they be pets?  Can an intelligent pet hold a noble position? 

All of the civs have specific starting biomes, so I could make each megabeast ubiquitous to that biome.  Ideally, I'd like to make them rare somehow so that you're not getting overrun with wild ones in Fortress Mode, but common enough that there are breeding populations in worldgen, at least in the hands of the civs. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2016, 01:38:08 pm »

Dunno about that. Or if they'd even get into the position during worldgen or post-gen simulation.

If they don't need to be in positions of power in a major civilization, you could make them a separate entity, say living in caves like kobolds, with powerful equipment to make them survivable, difficult targets. High tendency for banditry, local banditry so they'll ambush adventurers. That'll get them out and about being evil jerks. They just won't build cities or anything. If cities are tolerable they might conquer them occasionally.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2016, 11:34:07 pm »

Also, is there a simple way to make plant cloth less valuable and leather more valuable? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2016, 01:20:06 am »

I'd try going into material_template_default and increasing the base material_value. It's set at 1, and while the plant material template is also set for 1, the value on standard plants like rope reed and plump helmets is 2.

You could go in and reduce the value of each plants' components, as well if you're concerned about their overall value rather than the ratio of the values of leather and plant cloth.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2016, 01:33:02 am »

Cloth items have way more steps of processing that add value through quality levels and improvements than leather does. If you want leather to be more precious in coin than cloth, holy shit, you gotta crank that value UP.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2016, 05:22:58 am »

PTW (and check out your RAWs a little later so I can learn more about how all the creature stuff works)

Definitely looks like you have some cool stuff.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress 2 - Rise of the Jackalopes
« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2016, 11:20:43 am »

Okay, finally made some progress with monsterized civs.  You will now find creatures and entities for:

Kyuubi - Vulps with 9 tails, increased agility.  They can theoretically do independent multi-attack with their tails, this doesn't seem to help much in arena testing. 
Jackalope - Lagomers with antlers, tusks and increased speed.
Monoceros - Horstangs with horns and they are twice as large. 
Megalania - Komodos the size of trolls with a venomous bite.  (venom is copied from gila monster venom for now, since they are related to monitor lizards, but gila venom causes intense pain, I think true monitor lizard venom would just cause drowsiness.)  What's a megalania?
Steam Tadhger - This is essentially an Iron Man with a Tadhger's teeth and claws. 
Kraken - An octopus creature that shares the Pingu's piratey culture. 
Obsidimon - Another monster civ like the wyverns, these ones are made completely of obsidian, with sharp teeth and claws and a powerful tail bash. 

In unarmed combat, Obsidimon is king of the arena, followed by Megalanias and Steam Tadghers.  I think Megalania will perform better against anything susceptible to its venom.  Steam Tadghers get trounced by Obsidimons, so I expect they won't do well in armed combat. 

All of the previous "bad civs" have been removed, they will slowly be replaced with monsterized and monster civs. 

Krakens have been very buggy so far, and I expect Steam Tadhgers to cough up some bugs as well, so I would appreciate any testing you guys can do. 

Previously, I had been under the impression that you could only specify a single creature for noble positions, but I now realize you can use a creature class to do it.  That means that rather than specific creatures for specific civs I could make a whole host of mega-creatures that could join any civ.  I'll have to consider how I want to proceed with this new information.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2016, 01:04:30 am »

Alright, FuFoAllv007.zip is the current most up-to-date version, correct?

I just threw it in my objects folder and went to generate a world, and got a pretty significant list of errors in errorlog.txt:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looks like simple stuff. Wyverns should be pointing at scales, kraken and kyuubi's unique body parts aren't included in the body file so they can't be applied.

Also, why are the raws of the vanilla game included with the mod, anyway? Did you change any of the vanilla files? I can't spot any changes.
I make Spellcrafts!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2016, 02:52:09 am »

Also, why are the raws of the vanilla game included with the mod, anyway? Did you change any of the vanilla files? I can't spot any changes.

Yes, there are a lot of objects files included that are identical to the objects files of the current version of Dwarf Fortress. There's also a few objects files included that are identical to those found in older versions of Dwarf Fortress (e.g. body_default.txt, item_tool.txt, reaction_other.txt).

Out of all the vanilla objects files included in this mod, only 6 differ from those of the current version of Dwarf Fortress:
  • body_defaults.txt
  • entity_default.txt
  • inorganic_metal.txt
  • item_tool.txt
  • reaction_other.txt
  • reaction_smelter.txt

It looks like the main purpose of the edits to the vanilla objects files is to remove some metals (such as electrum).

It looks like FuFoAllv007 might be intended for use with version 0.42.05 of Dwarf Fortress. Only these three files differ from those included in version 0.42.05 of Dwarf Fortress:
  • entity_default.txt
  • inorganic_metal.txt
  • reaction_smelter.txt

So if you wanted to try to run this on the latest version of Dwarf Fortress, you might be able to do so if you removed these three outdated files:

• body_defaults.txt
  • item_tool.txt
  • reaction_other.txt

The mod seems to work fine with a fresh copy of Dwarf Fortress v0.43.03 with those three files removed from the mod first. I was able to create a world and embark, anyway. I've got some world with a kraken civ, a blizzard man civ, and a pingu civ.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2016, 08:48:16 am »

jecowa has nailed it.  I haven't upgraded to 43 yet. 

At some point, it got difficult to find all of files, like the coal maker building that simiates need to function was missing from the dowloadables for a long time, so I just decided to scoop everything up and put it in the folder. 

Kraken and kyuubi should be in body_fufo, I'll have to double check that.  They work fine on mine. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2016, 12:50:33 pm »

When you open the file in Google docs you can see they're missing.

Also, getting lost is why I always name files from the same mod with the same keywords. Like fufo. Let's me find them later.

Anyway, there's an issue with sharkopath five creating sites out in the middle of the ocean; namely, sites in the middle of a body of water won't actually be there in-game. In older versions attempting to spawn in one would result in you spawning in the caverns as an animal. Not sure if that's changed, but my workaround still works; make their start biome a saltwater marsh or swamp, and then give them a higher preference for oceans as a settlement biome than wetlands. They will then build along the coast, and their sites will exist in-game.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:54:36 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2016, 04:15:23 pm »

When you open the file in Google docs you can see they're missing.

Also, getting lost is why I always name files from the same mod with the same keywords. Like fufo. Let's me find them later.

Anyway, there's an issue with sharkopath five creating sites out in the middle of the ocean; namely, sites in the middle of a body of water won't actually be there in-game. In older versions attempting to spawn in one would result in you spawning in the caverns as an animal. Not sure if that's changed, but my workaround still works; make their start biome a saltwater marsh or swamp, and then give them a higher preference for oceans as a settlement biome than wetlands. They will then build along the coast, and their sites will exist in-game.

As far as I know, when you see a sharkopath or pingu city or hamlet in the middle of the ocean, it's actually on an island but the borders of the city or hamlet can extend out into the water.  I'm not huge on adventure mode, but I think I've at least once visited an island city and it's legit.  I suppose it depends on the size of the island.  I'll have to try that again sometime. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2016, 07:12:25 pm »

I just tried it last night and found there was no city out in the water where one was indicated. They will build on islands if given the chance, yes, but even without islands they show up out in the middle of the water. Its not a game breaking problem unless an NPC you wanted to talk to happened to be out there too.

But if you define it the other, starting from a saltwater swamp and a heavy preference for moving towards the ocean, it will ensure that they build along the coast instead, or on islands.

I've had a civ build out in the middle of the ocean anyway, and you'll occasionally see a hamlet inland, but only because they ran out of valid coast line. If you give them a very weak preference to build in biomes besides wetlands and oceans, that will let them build along the coast if say the ocean meets the land along a stretch of desert or forest.
I make Spellcrafts!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2016, 11:14:13 pm »

Okay, it sounds like a reasonable solution, I'll try to throw that in for the next update. 

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2016, 11:56:32 pm »

Got the following errors when I tried to test your mod:
Code: [Select]
*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_fufo_nme_kraken.txt"
KRAKEN:Unrecognized Creature Caste Body Token: OCTO_ARMS
KRAKEN:Attack PUNCH seems to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added
*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_fufo_nme_kyuubi.txt"
KYUUBI:Unrecognized Creature Caste Body Token: 9TAILS
KYUUBI:Attack TAIL_ATTACK seems to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added

I can't find these tags in the body_default or body_fufo files. Do I have a bad installation or are these present in the current version as well?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11