Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Furry Fortress 2 - Rise of the Jackalopes  (Read 31826 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress 2 - Lions and Horses
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2015, 10:26:30 pm »

imagine fusing together Bavarians and bovines... into bovarians...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria

german cheeses...

... I will attempt to work on this... i will share it when I have something workable... probably closer in culture to the dutch most likely...

EDIT: fusing humans, satyrs, and cows together...

Interesting.  Most of my furry cultures have been mostly military in design, but Bavaria I mostly know for foods.  It would be interesting to differentiate Bovarians with food reactions and beer gardens rather than my usual stuff.  Would the Bovarians make cheeses from their own milk? 

That said, there must be many German and Teutonic medieval weapons, but I don't know of many off the top of my head.  Grossmesser or Kriegsmesser, Ahlspiess, Zweihander, Flamberge.  The Landsknecht were famous for pike formations, but the pike is already included.  The Zweihander/Flamberge would just be a two handed sword, Katsbalger is probably just a shortsword.  The Messers could be clones of the existing Cutlass, Katana, Szabla or Scimitar and the Ahlspiess could be a copy of the Lance, although it seems redundant if the Pike is also included.  I think halberd is also a German word.  And there's my personal favorite, the folding spetum

And don't forget the dirndl and lederhosen. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:33:45 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 10:29:55 pm »

The difficulty would be getting them to milk themselves.

As an example in a similar vein, I once tried to make dwarves that would trim their own beards for cloth. The dwarf tasked with the job tried to drag the closest eligible creature to the workshop to be shorn. The closest eligible creature was himself. He stood in one spot until I told him to stop, and I can only presume it was because he was attempting to drag himself.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 12:20:26 am »

That does make it difficult... I know you can do it by making part of the population non-sentient using castes. But I'm not sure if you'd want to do that. You can fake it by having them report to the workshop to "milk themselves" through a reaction that requires nothing but a bucket. But that's just as weird, and there's no way to ensure only females take up the task.

Hmm... What if its excreted as webbing through an interaction females have? Spray webbing at enemies, collect it later, convert it to cheese. Start a milk-silk farm with a gobbo behind a fortification, same as a gcs silk farm concept. Though, if blackflyme is correct, the only thing preventing them from milking each other is if one of the milkers is female and goes insane trying to drag herself off to the workshop to milk herself. It would be the players responsibility to ensure all members with milking enabled cannot be milked.

The whole concept is bizarre as hell, and itd be difficult, but that just makes me want to see it done successfully and published even more!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 12:37:47 am »

The mammoviches in the folder now are shearable.  I don't think I've seen them completely fall apart trying to shear themselves, but I get a lot of job cancellation spam along the lines of "So-and-so tries to do whatever:  In Custody"  which I assume is the one being sheared. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress 2 - Lions and Horses and Bovarians???
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2015, 01:55:30 pm »

I've made some minor changes to the new files.  Komodos and Leokin have a new set of values that's more appropriate to predators.  Horstangs and Leokin like cities instead of cave detailed now.  Horstangs can make nadziaks out of wood. 

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2015, 06:41:47 pm »

That does make it difficult... I know you can do it by making part of the population non-sentient using castes. But I'm not sure if you'd want to do that. You can fake it by having them report to the workshop to "milk themselves" through a reaction that requires nothing but a bucket. But that's just as weird, and there's no way to ensure only females take up the task.

Hmm... What if its excreted as webbing through an interaction females have? Spray webbing at enemies, collect it later, convert it to cheese. Start a milk-silk farm with a gobbo behind a fortification, same as a gcs silk farm concept. Though, if blackflyme is correct, the only thing preventing them from milking each other is if one of the milkers is female and goes insane trying to drag herself off to the workshop to milk herself. It would be the players responsibility to ensure all members with milking enabled cannot be milked.

The whole concept is bizarre as hell, and itd be difficult, but that just makes me want to see it done successfully and published even more!

The best I can think of is giving them a syndrome that every once in a while that would make them non milk able so that they wouldn't try to drag themselves to the workshop forever (you can make it happen too often or this would mess up milker that are dragging some one to the workshop, (because the person getting dragged becomes unmilkable before they get to the workshop) can't happen too rarely because they will drag them selves to the workshop forever and it needs to have the right length so that everyone isn't milk able all the time and so that the person dragging them self wouldn't try to drag them self two ticks later.

There is also the idea of making the females have a interaction where they randomly become milk able long enough to be dragged to a workshop.

Bovarian leader "Today we will fight for glory, honer an-"
Bovarian milker *starts dragging MsBovarian leader away*
Bovarian leader "What are you doing?!"
Bovarian milker "My job."

GLORY, HONER AND MILK!

Edit: You may be able to make the milk able interaction only effect civ members on breaks using ON_BREAK counter so that a civ member looking for a milk
 able creature would never target them self.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 06:49:54 pm by Kitsune »
Hello I'm insane!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2015, 09:53:39 pm »

Edit: You may be able to make the milk able interaction only effect civ members on breaks using ON_BREAK counter so that a civ member looking for a milk

I like that idea best.  That does mean that you will have few opportunities to milk yourselves in the early game, but a lot later on.  However, I think Toady stated that the next release is going to do away with the current ON BREAK system and replace it with "needs" that are met by visiting a bar or shrine, so this may not be a long term solution. 

You could also do like the Formicians and have a special caste with the PET tag. 

Also, if mothers drink booze while breast feeding, their milk is boozey, right?  That would be cool.  I also learned that the Vikings turned whey into a booze called blaand.  And then it occurred to me that I once made dairy booze by accident.  I left kefir (a dairy drink between milk and yogurt) in the refrigerator too long and it started tasting suspiciously boozey and bubbly.  The label said that this was normal for aged kefir to take on a "champagne-like effervescence".  Unfortunately, I am not in the custom of drinking alcoholic beverages in the real world, so the peach-yogurt-champagne beverage did not appeal to me. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2015, 11:12:43 pm »

Can't blame you on that one...

It's worth noting the only way to make them milkable via interaction would be for them to undergo a transformation into a caste/species that is milkable. And a transformation of course implies all their clothes/possessions lying on the ground, so after transforming back they'd have to go recollect their garments, and might suffer emotional distress from the experience? Maybe. Otherwise, the milkable tag isn't one that can be added/subtracted at will, and it works on its own timer.

You'll notice that dwarves can't milk the same cow/sheep/whatever repeatedly: once milked, the animal cannot be milked again until the timer has finished. Giving the bovarians a very long milking frequency requirement, or at least all but one caste of [PET]s you want to be more or less milk factories, would ensure that players can only have them milked every once in a while. Unless they're using DFhack to automatically start a milking job at workshops, they'll have to do that themselves, when they have time/think about it. Say, they can only be milked once per year, or just under once a year, so it's best to have an annual milking holiday for new years celebrations or something.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2015, 11:19:42 pm »

I like that idea best.  That does mean that you will have few opportunities to milk yourselves in the early game, but a lot later on.

When would they try to milk themselves? Wouldn't they only be milk-able on breaks when they aren't trying to milk things?
Hello I'm insane!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress 2 - Fish, Schmish
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2015, 12:09:38 am »

PTW, this seems neat.

Leokin are larger than most races at 80k, with teeth and claws.  Females gain natural skill at hunting, while males gain natural skill at melee fighting.  Females appear more numerously than males.  Leokin can produce the unique weapon zanbato, also known as a buster sword.

Bit late here, but giving people natural skill in hunting is not good. This ends up with children being born with hunting skill and this having the labour enabled and unable to be disabled until they grow up, which means children trying to hunt things on their own, sometimes without weapons or ammo. I could see how this could be intended to simulate youths being rash and rambunctious, but if that's not what you're going for, it could be an annoying side effect.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress 2 - Fish, Schmish
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2015, 12:43:52 am »

Bit late here, but giving people natural skill in hunting is not good. This ends up with children being born with hunting skill and this having the labour enabled and unable to be disabled until they grow up, which means children trying to hunt things on their own, sometimes without weapons or ammo. I could see how this could be intended to simulate youths being rash and rambunctious, but if that's not what you're going for, it could be an annoying side effect.

If that is what he is going for he should probable increase litter size or something of the like so that it counters out the amount children that die. Edit: Like (some?) turtles lay tons of eggs because a lot of them die early on.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:46:54 am by Kitsune »
Hello I'm insane!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2015, 12:44:44 am »

That actually is why animals like cats and dogs have more than a few babies at once.
Wait, is it?
Black lives matter.

CulixCupric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2015, 01:36:24 am »

I made a tileset for bovarians, and i am ready to test them as well.
the background of each tile is the profession color used in the ascii version, mainly so i can just use one tile for multiple jobs. I gave only important jobs, and the nobles, their own special tiles.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I did what i could. It is mostly a modified version of my astarian tileset. astarians are another species i added a while ago. I keep reusing their tileset because I made it myself so I don't feel bad reusing it by making edits to it. also I am lazy.
EDIT: accidentally posted a picture of the inside of my computer. fixed the image link.

this is the code for their creature raw. It's still a WIP as is their entity file, which is just thrown together from humans and the tools/reactions available to dwarves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am open to advice and ideas for them, as I don't feel they are near being finished.

Edit: just a thought, as I am currently listening to 'let's read boatmurdered' and testing bovarians... anthromorph pachyderms, or mandrills.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 02:30:23 am by CulixCupric »
Don't know what to put here... let me know if you have any ideas...

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2015, 07:16:08 am »

There are a couple conventions I've been using that you might want to add to preserve continuity.  Generally they are balanced to be "+1" total for physical traits, so like a dwarf has +1Str, +Tgh -1Agl, but this on its own is not necessarily balanced.  For soul attributes they get one +2 trait, two +1 traits, one -2 trait and two -1 traits.  And for personality they get three [10:75:100] personalities and three [0:25:90] personalities.  Maybe for cows a low stress propensity as I think of cows as very easy going creatures and a low bravery as they are not usually fighters (although bulls can be). 

I would probably reduce the gait for cow people, maybe 32kph like Dwarves.  The max age for animal people is 60:90 instead of the dwarf's 150:200.  I would give them a body size of 80000, like leokin, as I will use this size for pandas and sharks too. 

As for the leokin, I have not observed children hunting, I don't think they can.  Leokin do have larger litter sizes as they lack the multiple-litter-rare tag.  Leokin also have teeth and claws and will prefer to bite and scratch rather than punch, so a Leokin child should be a tougher opponent than a dwarf child too. 

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2015, 12:48:08 pm »

As for the leokin, I have not observed children hunting, I don't think they can.  Leokin do have larger litter sizes as they lack the multiple-litter-rare tag.  Leokin also have teeth and claws and will prefer to bite and scratch rather than punch, so a Leokin child should be a tougher opponent than a dwarf child too.

I guess it depends on how its implemented. If its just flat skill levels in hunting, then the children will totally start hunting. If its higher skill gain with regard to hunting, they shouldn't hunt on their own.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11