Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Furry Fortress 2 - Rise of the Jackalopes  (Read 31610 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress 2 - Lions and Horses and Bovarians???
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2015, 07:50:04 pm »

Pandamons and Sharkopaths are in the folder.  I think both of them will need some more tweaking, but I'm not sure what I want to do yet.  I noticed that the Simiate's Coal Maker building was accidentally excluding from the objects folder, sorry for that.  It should be there now.
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2015, 05:41:05 pm »

So I've been playing with the concept of a species that intentionally milks one-another to make cheese as well, and the issue I've run into is that it will not allow a perfectly intelligent, sapient member of society to be used as a target for milking.

The workaround I've found is to make the females or a portion thereof (by making two female casts with a total pop_ratio equal to the male's to keep it 50/50) [SLOW_LEARNER], [CAN_SPEAK] and milkable/the necessary data for that to work, and to the males and females that cannot be milked add [INTELLIGENT]. This way the slow-learning females can be milked, and can be assigned labors. However, they still can't be assigned to noble positions or a military squad, and they also don't appear capable of learning new skills at all. They effectively become a caste of half-wit slaves.
They will also breed out of wed-lock, with unmarried men they come into contact with, apparently. Like the guy that has milking enabled in this test hovel I'm running. He now has five children from two women he's "friends" with and has been milking. If you take away CAN_SPEAK, they cant be assigned labors, show up as pets, and can be butchered freely.

Not sure why they aren't learning skills, the slow_learner tag is supposed to reduce learning rates to 50%, not prevent it entirely. They still show up as migrants with skills.

Overall, it gets WEIRD. As per DF standard, I suppose.

"Tokogoprambus, woodcutter cancels milk tokogoprambus, woodcutter: In custody."
So they will literally try to milk themselves and have a brain fart as a result, yes. :P
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 05:43:34 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2015, 06:07:31 pm »

Is it possible for a syndrome to remove [INTELLIGENT] and have a "Ready for milking" action that the person-to-be-milked can perform first?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2015, 12:31:39 am »

Possible to remove CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK via interaction/syndrome, so it's worth a shot. Just need to get the delivery method/timing down to ensure it actually happens, and the player knows someone is up for milking so they can set a milking job at a workshop if they need it.

Don't want to use periodic timing, since the only value is monthly, and you don't want to have to worry about all the women in the fort suddenly going stupid all at once either.

I'll try for an on-break counter_trigger, maybe?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2015, 01:29:50 am »

If they are cows, maybe a collection of castes like Beef/Draft/Dairy/Rodeo ♀/♂ would suit your needs better?  You could give only Dairy ♀ the milkable tags and make them non-breeding, like antman workers, so that they're not dropping calves out of wedlock, and only about 1/8 of your fortress is susceptible to permanent peasantry or monthly stupidness or whatever else makes the milking work.  (or 1/7 if there's no Dairy ♂) 

I thought I'd look up what different kinds of cattle there are.  Mind = Blown

Could you use a reaction/interaction that produces milk but doesn't use the default milking system?  Like a breath attack that sprays milk?  Or a "spit" interaction, although I don't think they do that in Fortress Mode.  You could have a reaction that produces milk out of thin air, which would probably still feel like they are milking themselves, except for the timer.  But then you'd have bull's milk, which is not good for cheese. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2015, 09:48:18 pm »

I've been unable to get the syndrome working to allow milking when a woman is on a break. It appears that when a syndrome removes CAN_LEARN/SPEAK temporarily the citizen is still considered ineligible for player-controlled pet orders like milking, pasturing etc, though they'll still procreate during that timeframe. Or they just cant be milked when on break, but if they're being milked immediately afterwards, say, then you've got the problem of them being dragged away during important tasks again.

Going with the 1/7 milkable fraction sounds like the more reliable, least buggy method. All you need to do is make that caste a SLOW_LEARNER with CAN_SPEAK, and they can still be an active fort citizen that simply gets dragged off to the farmers' workshop occasionally. Allowing other castes to, say, somehow provide meat might be possible as well. Easiest I can think of is by laying "eggs" made of edible muscle tissue.
I make Spellcrafts!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2015, 01:52:52 pm »

I've been unable to get the syndrome working to allow milking when a woman is on a break. It appears that when a syndrome removes CAN_LEARN/SPEAK temporarily the citizen is still considered ineligible for player-controlled pet orders like milking, pasturing etc, though they'll still procreate during that timeframe. Or they just cant be milked when on break, but if they're being milked immediately afterwards, say, then you've got the problem of them being dragged away during important tasks again.

Going with the 1/7 milkable fraction sounds like the more reliable, least buggy method. All you need to do is make that caste a SLOW_LEARNER with CAN_SPEAK, and they can still be an active fort citizen that simply gets dragged off to the farmers' workshop occasionally. Allowing other castes to, say, somehow provide meat might be possible as well. Easiest I can think of is by laying "eggs" made of edible muscle tissue.

I think the Formicians can butcher their Males, if you wanted to go dark like that.  But formician males are completely useless to society except for the purpose of fathering offspring.  Maybe see if there's something about them you want to borrow for cows. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2015, 05:34:15 pm »

Well, not really... I suppose, just as a fraction of women provide milk, a fraction of men can provide a small quantity of their flesh occasionally, or willingly be sacrificed. The women could, as well, and I'm still testing on the milk-maids with that.

Though, for such a caste, you would have to omit the CAN_SPEAK token (a syndrome that temporarily removes it won't work any better for this purpose than for dragging women off to be milked: the UI doesn't update with the change in their status, so they would not be butcherable or show up as pets while dumbed-down), which means men who are butcherable would never have been able to be assigned labors; there really wouldn't be a good reason to keep a segment of the populace that cannot be made to do real work around, just to occasionally get chunks of meat. Unless unintelligent members of the species can also be war/hunting trained? I dunno, worth a shot.

Anyway, getting those select few women to provide milk and meat was easy: They now use a [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS] string to occasionally pop out MEAT items of the bovarian muscle tissue. It immediately shows up in the stocks screen under food->meat. At the same time, a counter-trigger syndrome in their tears causes their upper legs to bleed profusely for a short period. (test subject hasn't died yet! Hurray!) It was also supposed to be extremely painful and induce bruising and I haven't caught those going on yet, but a partial success in this case is still a success as far as I'm concerned it actually does happen. They cry and bruises show up in the unit screen. Pretty quickly return to work since the meat is immediately collected. I don't know of any reason this shouldn't also function on a male caste.

edit:

Using a reaction that requires someone set for animal care (a useless skill) to transform them into the appropriate sacrificial castes also works splendidly, and allows the entire population to initially be normal, productive members of society.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 07:35:57 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2015, 09:00:10 pm »

This looks neat. If you want you could add my Hivemind Wasps to this mod so long as you insert a disclaimer and the like in the credits. It is currently only for 34.11 but as soon as the transform script updates we will make it 42.x
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:02:42 pm by Insanegame27 »
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2015, 12:29:15 pm »

Alright, Furry Fortress 2 should now be updated to the 42.01 version of Dwarf Fortress.  I haven't completely tested it yet, so let me know if you encounter any hiccups. 

Same Old Link:  https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5_Jm8L6GFwcREp3TlJOcU5XN1E&usp=sharing

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress 2 - Novachalcum and Crucible Steels
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2015, 01:49:37 pm »

Okay, new version, same old link. 

I removed some of v004's Skulking races, since they seemed to be clogging up the civilization count. 

I added a lot of new metals.  Crucible steel now augments flux steel.  Crucible steel can be produced with pig iron, iron, raw clear glass, clay and fuel.  To my knowledge, this is more historically accurate anyways.  You have option to create either flux steel or crucible steel, whichever is easier based on your location.  To be realistic, flux steel should actually produce a different kind of steel than crucible steel, but whatever. 

Besides iron steel, you can now produce elemental steels by using x-chalcum.  Each can be produced with either flux or crucible.  They maintain the properties from the raw metals, Blaze Steel is sharper, Rock Steel is heavier, Cloud Steel is lighter and Ocean Steel is prettier (higher value).  Note that you will still need iron to produce elemental steels. 

And finally, I've created Novachalcum, a combination of the 4 elemental metals.  I still couldn't really decide what Novachalcum should be like, but I remembered that one time I modded in tungsten carbide and it was utterly too powerful, so I decided to use the same stats for Novachalcum.  Novachalcum should be difficult to produce in great quantity, I'm hoping that the traders don't ruin it by bringing lots of meltables to your doorstep.  The production of Novachalcum is reductive, combining 4 bars of the elemental metals will result in 2 bars of novachalcum. 

I've also added a few of new kinds of wood.  I haven't been able to actually find any in the world, but they are in the raws for you.  White Oak should be good for creating wooden weapons, like staffs and nunchucks, Blade Bough is sharp like obsidian, Ironwood has the same properties as iron, but is not a metal and cannot be melted or forged, Ebony, Boxwood and Calamander are valuable woods, on par with metal. 

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress 2 - New Metals and Trees
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2015, 01:55:13 pm »

Is Calamander a hard C or a soft C? :P
Black lives matter.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2015, 11:31:36 pm »

Is Calamander a hard C or a soft C? :P

Haha.  Hard C. 

Actually, I only heard of calamander wood when I started looking up expensive woods, so I'm not surprised if no one else heard of it.  Calamander, also known as coromandel, is now extinct, so items that were made of it are crazy expensive.  Even when the calamander was alive, its wood was very valuable because of the intricate patterns found in the wood.  Calamander was related to ebony, and some species of ebony are used as substitutes (most ebony species are not solid black). 

A finely crafted calamander wood chest:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Boxwood (or just Box) was another surprising type of wood.  Box is very dense and hard and has almost no grain, making it ideal for carving.  Box has a white or cream color. 

A finely crafted boxwood figurine of a lobster:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2015, 03:17:51 am »

Shit. I read "calamander" and immediately in though you'd added salamander people now.

Why haven't you!?
I make Spellcrafts!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2015, 11:43:46 am »

Shit. I read "calamander" and immediately in though you'd added salamander people now.

Why haven't you!?

What would a salamander even do?  It's just a slimy lizard or a frog with a tail.  A frog or toad civ would make sense since they could have giant legs or tongue attacks or poison sacs or psychedelic skin.  Or maybe one of the stranger types like axolotls or hellbenders which have cool names or distinguishing features.  But salamanders?  Salamanders??

And the biology is one thing, but then I'd have to decide what kind of theme a salamander civ would have.  There's no culture that associates themselves with salamanders and they live in the boring old northern hemisphere holarctic ecozone which I feel like I've depleted of culture at this point. 

I mean maybe I could do something with the old myth that salamanders were created by lightning and fire and give them a wizardy theme with staffs and robes and pointy hats, but that strikes me as a little out of character at this point.  Kind of.  I guess.  Maybe. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11