Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 17: Very Bad Things (Hashed NationGen) - Done  (Read 45684 times)

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 17: Very Bad Things (Hashed NationGen) - Recruiting
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2015, 05:49:15 pm »

The winterpower sacred is risky : half the HPs during summer, I think. The resist will come in handy for a few months :p

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2015, 06:17:31 pm »

Not sure what to think about the sacred arbalester, though...
Well if it works the same as crossbows then BE TERRIFIED. Well, at least if they go for a fire/death weapons bless.

Ranged sacreds can be absurd if you use them like that.

Also I am indeed loving my sacred Giants. Only trouble I've had so far was from what I suspect to be a level 3 throne province that annoyingly uses massed flyers and mistform. UGH.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 06:21:32 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2015, 07:34:46 pm »

Why should I be afraid of crossbows? My troops have no armor to start with. Ha! My units hard counter them!
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2015, 07:50:00 pm »

E: And EH, you're one of the ones in second. You've got all of three hoburgs in your line up, only one of which even remotely matter (blowpipes), and everything else is formorians, including one of the three formorian giant sacreds in this round. You will also be able to take indie provinces with a single sacred and any priest, if you felt like it :V

That'd, ah, actually be me. EH is Abeig, not Fairig.

The winterpower sacred is risky : half the HPs during summer, I think. The resist will come in handy for a few months :p

It should be risky. Next NG update it would be risky. Right now, it's essentially meaningless. #(season)power 1 is +1% HP in (season) and -1% HP in (oppositeseason). It's been corrected to either 25 or 50 for 0.6.8, but in 0.6.7 it's still the wrong, painfully-low 1%.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 07:59:37 pm by E. Albright »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2015, 07:58:30 pm »

Ooh. Oops.

... in my defense, I can't actually see the images in the first post (photobucket won't load on this computer :V), so every time I'm trying to see who's who I have to go in and quote it, ha. And the url code is a little cluttery.

Though yeah, abeig is... they might be the only ones with worse sacreds than me (I... do have that right, right? Am horoken?). That said, they still have that ridiculously solid formorian battleline and pretty killer battlecasters (air evocations, aahhh). Plus spies. Should be alright, just... probably not go for a bless strat, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2015, 08:56:35 pm »

Haha, it was my mistake first, stupid tiny phone screen.

Now to check out my loot...

Edit: I TOLD YOU ABOUT THE HOBURGS BRO

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:01:46 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2015, 09:13:12 pm »

Edit: Hmm, what kind of bless would work with a flying pike wielder? Is there even one?
If anyone's curious, I've decided that a major water bless does not work (was hoping that the +def would shore up their natural 7 defense, while the speed would let them poke things to death.) It was showing some promise against indies, but as soon as I started going up against fomorians, it all fell apart. Back to the drawing board.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2015, 09:24:58 pm »

Edit: Hmm, what kind of bless would work with a flying pike wielder? Is there even one?
If anyone's curious, I've decided that a major water bless does not work (was hoping that the +def would shore up their natural 7 defense, while the speed would let them poke things to death.) It was showing some promise against indies, but as soon as I started going up against fomorians, it all fell apart. Back to the drawing board.
I would try death/fire weapons. Because generally flying units are only gonna get one shot so may as well make it fucking count :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2015, 09:29:20 pm »

Off the top of my head:

Repel works via ATTACK skill IRRC, so try a major fire
Major death lets you do MR-resist to get through those pesky shields and armor, doesn't do much for the health though
Major astral does gives you another layer of defense besides your pike (call out to Frumple :P)

My main thought is, the Hobnian Follower can fly, and the Harbringer of Fae Truth can easily cast Cloud Trapeze.  I don't particularly like their paths, but you have flying mage-priests.  Forget blessing your troops.  If you can think of anything at all for those guys to do during combat, they should be the primary focus of your bless.

Edit: Also, repel needs to pass a morale check, so if you want to repel enemy elites you're going to want to stack it up with some kind of fear effect
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:31:28 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2015, 09:35:09 pm »

Heh. Test games... watching those formorians at work is... depressing. I send in a party of seventy something units and my pretender against an indie province, they do so at a different one with four formorians and twenty some spearmen. I lose a half dozen units, they lose... one spearman. Heeheehoho. so very screwed >_<

... also, first time I've really tested misfortune scales. Even... even Misfortune 1 is kinda' intensely painful. Capital's already been hit with five bad events and the first year isn't even done yet, and my other provinces are starting to get crapped on, too. Looks like I may be reconsidering scales in the near future :V

E: And yeah, astral on those pike critters would probably be a terrible idea. Honestly, I wouldn't be trying to build a bless for that nation at all, except maybe some E for the casters -- their flying sacred guys are kinda' junk, and my first thought is that the only thing that would really make them approach competative would be taking advantage of the stormpower and darkvision... somehow (and considering all the formorians are 50% darkvision, probably not even that would manage).

I mean, they're flying, yes, and they're sacred, yes, but they're human/birdman and squishy with average combat stats (on top of crap defense) in a game where... most everything that's a legitimate threat (sorry, other human/hoburg nations. Those of us without formorian bruisers are in for a mess :P) isn't going to be either, average combat stats isn't going to cut it, and sub-par defense is how you fall over dead to 20+ strength formorians.

I don't think any of the defensive blesses are going to make enough of a difference, for any of the human/hoburg level sacreds. Go offensive if you go for major bless at all. The pike guys are at least as cheap as mine and also recruit anywhere, so you might even consider a major blood just so you at least get something from them as they die in droves -- and the strength buff might help some vs. those prot 18 formorians in particular, which are copious and plentiful. Fire might indeed be a good option for the extra repel, as mentioned (not that it's going to help that much -- most of the formorian access nations have troops with long spears, which means the pike length is only going to help so much) and extra damage.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:50:51 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2015, 10:02:00 pm »

Nonononono do not do major blood with a human health unit.  Not in this game.  Fomorian casters will STILL be able to drop evocations on you, and nationgen likes putting higher than normal magic resist on sacreds.  Plus blood is the single most useless level 9 path on a pretender, unless you splash it with another path to cast a global (and considering which global is the best candidate for that, you might make yourself a lot of enemies doing that). 

I have to say, I had a short list of pretenders I would pick depending on which home realm I was, and... I actually have a random mess of pretenders from different realms including NONE of the ones that I wanted.  Augh.  Still, it just takes one good chassis to make a nation...

(also the mod inspector doesn't seem to contain my entire list of national pretenders?)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 10:05:46 pm by EnigmaticHat »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2015, 10:10:36 pm »

I agree B9 is a bad idea. Fomorians in general, and sacred ones in particular, have high MR.

Something to consider in all seriousness is rushing Ench and trying to summon chaff faster than they can kill it. At that point, the best sell point of hoburg nations is that you can pack them in 6 to a square so they'll bog down 1-attack-per-square giants.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2015, 10:12:51 pm »

Hey, the casters are going to be dropping evos regardless, and some of the formorian access nations don't have sacred giants. Plus they might use other guys, too! Maybe. Hopefully. please? though in sudden retrospect I realize in the case of caesar, that please would only result in more werewolves. That is also bad ;_;

Though yeah, probably a bad idea so far as other considerations go. Just trying to think of something that'll make the non-formorian sacreds something more than functionally useless versus formorians in general (I think I've mostly given up on trying to figure out how to consistently kill the giants with my national troops, heh). Honestly, at this point I'm half thinking of bombing my scales and trying to leverage my death randoms to do something in a low/no supply zone... try to starve out the formorians, make things a logistical nightmare. Almost certainly won't (which is why I'm talking about it, ha!), 'cause I'd really want more than just death randoms on an old caster (some reanimation priests would be really nice :P) to try something like that, but... still. Theorycrafting and testing is starting to lean me towards desperation, ha.
Ask not!
Ask!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2015, 10:23:22 pm »

You can't really supply out a sacred heavy strat.  30 size 5 units is 150; at that point you're blocking ordinary human armies as much as them.  And that's a HUGE army for sacred giants.

Since I don't have sacred giants I'll theorycraft with you.

*checks mod inspector*  Umm... if I tell Frumple how to be invincible would you guys be mad?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 17: Very Bad Things (Hashed NationGen) - Setting up
« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2015, 10:35:16 pm »

Game is up: Bay12GamesRound417

Start submitting your pretenders when you're ready. Take a couple of days if needed to test stuff out, but go ahead and submit when you feel prepared.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43