Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33

Author Topic: [47.02 - .47.05] Adventurecraft (latest update 11/27/2022)  (Read 145346 times)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [.43.01] Adventurecraft (yet another Wanderer's Friend derivative)
« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2016, 07:31:26 pm »

Though that's...interesting. That does imply that Toady does have more awareness of mod content than others have claimed. I'm still wondering whether the branch idea was perhaps inspired by this, but I'll be honest: I got the idea from elsewhere to begin with, and he implemented it better than I did anyway. XP
It would be hard for him to ignore the content of all Dwarf Fortress mods, given his status both as moderator and as bug-tester. However, he doesn't actively seek inspiration from them, since he has a very clear-cut idea of what he wants for Dwarf Fortress. He stated not so long ago that if he wanted a particular element in DF (e.g. Dragon Men) that it would already be there.

I think that a mod would have to be extremely novel in order to inspire Toady. That most mods are but skin on the skeleton of DF makes this a rather unlikely occurrence.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: [.43.02] Adventurecraft (yet another Wanderer's Friend derivative)
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2016, 07:36:05 pm »

He stated not so long ago that if he wanted a particular element in DF (e.g. Dragon Men) that it would already be there.

That is the specific quote I was leery of. Not the idea of "if he wanted X, he'd work on X" but the fact that that statement is phrased such that it implies that "if he wanted X, we'd already HAVE X" which seems patently false. He can't add every little thing at once.

While mod content like adventure mode weapon/armor and such is fairly trivial to add compared to some rather more complex mod ideas, it's understandable that Toady might see a mod feature as desirable put leave implementing it on hold due to having other things tend to.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Jerry The Hellbound

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional "Knife-ear" torturer 1-800-elfgod
    • View Profile
    • This is also for my Custom Race: Solari!
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2016, 11:28:52 am »

How do i manage to merge my mod with this mod without breaking?
Jerry.
This is also for my Custom Race: Solari! (Currently outdated)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155455.0
Also made that awesome avatar. took me hours with Gimp: (also the two light & dark sprites are from Stardew Valley)
http://i.imgur.com/8x7aX7T.png

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2016, 11:49:38 am »

It would pretty much depend on what files the mod adds or edits. For example, anything that changes a creature file is going to have a hard time. Whereas one that adds new creatures in its own file will work better, but may run into unexpected consequences (namely the reason WHY all the creature files are changed, which will lead to things like the new creatures being a bit tougher than they normally are).
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Jerry The Hellbound

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional "Knife-ear" torturer 1-800-elfgod
    • View Profile
    • This is also for my Custom Race: Solari!
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2016, 04:14:40 pm »

It would pretty much depend on what files the mod adds or edits. For example, anything that changes a creature file is going to have a hard time. Whereas one that adds new creatures in its own file will work better, but may run into unexpected consequences (namely the reason WHY all the creature files are changed, which will lead to things like the new creatures being a bit tougher than they normally are).

I myself just want to get the race i have into the game. The Solari race that is my mod? yeah that race. doesn't even have an entity file, just a creature file, an interaction and material_template file, along with a graphics file duo (the folder that contains the image and the graphics_solari file itself) the things that seem to have conflicted/missing is the pieces of the body templates that were removed for some odd
reason.
For example this is what i get in the error log
Code: [Select]
*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_solari.txt"
BIRD_SOLARI:Unrecognized Creature Caste Body Token: HUMANOID_JOINTS
BIRD_SOLARI:Unrecognized Creature Caste Body Token: NECK
BIRD_SOLARI_TRUE:Unrecognized Creature Caste Body Token: HUMANOID_JOINTS
BIRD_SOLARI_TRUE:Unrecognized Creature Caste Body Token: NECK
BIRD_SOLARI_REPTILE:Unrecognized Creature Caste Body Token: HUMANOID_JOINTS
BIRD_SOLARI_REPTILE:Unrecognized Creature Caste Body Token: NECK
Jerry.
This is also for my Custom Race: Solari! (Currently outdated)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155455.0
Also made that awesome avatar. took me hours with Gimp: (also the two light & dark sprites are from Stardew Valley)
http://i.imgur.com/8x7aX7T.png

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: [.43.03] Adventurecraft (yet another Wanderer's Friend derivative)
« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2016, 05:59:21 pm »

Ah, that hopefully should be the only error then. That was caused by my removing those joint body tokens in favor of adding the joints to the body entries themselves. Though now that I've had to edit all the creature files anyway (due to body material plan changes as mentioned earlier), it might be less hassle if I reimplemented joints as a separate body entry, and just add appropriate versions for quadrupeds. @_@
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2016, 02:26:16 am »

Bug of the day: axes as tools are fucked (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9797), and thus the derpdragon's crappy little mod is somehow ahead of the curve for the moment.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2016, 02:24:46 am »

EDIT: Oi fuck. I hit "quote" instead of "modify" when I was updating the OP. Doh.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

philli46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [.43.05] Adventurecraft (yet another Wanderer's Friend derivative)
« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2016, 03:19:03 am »

So I decided to give this a try. Played a polar bear man and spawned as a peasant inside the goblin pits. 3 minutes in I get hit with a 10 goblin ambush, and all I have is a wooden spear. ˇFUN! ensues, and my polar bear man marches himself out of the pits with a full set of goblin bone armor and weaponry. (I say marches, but it was more like dragging his broken body away from a bloody nighmare with his one remaining functional limb...)

Thanks for the mod man, its great!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2016, 11:45:37 am »

I'm guessing you added in the "mark the target" interaction Max devised, or else found some way around the cannibalism bug? o3o

In any case, thank you.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2016, 12:59:33 am »

Found a bug. Crafting wood darts produces wood arrows instead.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2016, 01:29:17 am »

There we go, easily enough fixed. Sorry about that, and thank you to finding that.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2016, 10:38:46 pm »

Noticed some odd behavior with crafting stone spears. While you need to have a sharpened stone to make one, the reaction will consume unsharpened stones instead on occasion if they are available.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 04, 2016, 01:46:39 am »

I suspect that might be a side effect of bumping up the max edge of basic stones. Any specific types of stone that consistently do that?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2016, 04:29:30 am »

I suspect that might be a side effect of bumping up the max edge of basic stones. Any specific types of stone that consistently do that?

Well I've really only been working with gneiss so far, but I'll let you know when I find others.

Edit: found some shale on the beach and made some spears with it. Didn't use the blunt ones at all this time.

Also, I'm quite curious, is there some sort of hierarchy of effectiveness with stone like there is metal? I understand that Obsidian is the best and chert second best, but where to the other stone types lie?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 05:48:09 am by Arthropleura »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33