Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33

Author Topic: [47.02 - .47.05] Adventurecraft (latest update 11/27/2022)  (Read 145423 times)

Seshien

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [.44.10 - 44.12] Adventurecraft (yet another Wanderer's Friend derivative)
« Reply #315 on: August 13, 2018, 02:37:14 pm »

So it is going like stone>bone>stone+>bone+>stone++>bone++?. Yeah, I love that that ++ stuff is as good as steel and it is just cooler to use that dragon's skin, who you killed in fiery duel than normal metal armor. My adventurer first goal was killing a dragon for his parts. It kinda felt sad that I could only do one piece of armor, and two weapons from all of dragon, but balance. But that fight costed him leg and it caused all of his following adventures.

BTW, I think there is a bug, adamantine wafers are not used up in craftings. And is there a way to craft adamantine cloth from strings?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 14, 2018, 06:39:10 am »

BTW, I think there is a bug, adamantine wafers are not used up in craftings. And is there a way to craft adamantine cloth from strings?

That's o-

Wait. Did you make them yourself via breaking down adamantine items, or scavenge them from a fort? If the former then it's the whole "fort-made bars have a high product size" thing, which is a side effect of the "make 1, use 1" workaround from other reaction bugs.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Seshien

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 14, 2018, 03:13:21 pm »

Ahh.. it explains that. Most of that adamantine was from stuff I destroyed, but there were also a few bars just laying about. Sorry for false alarm  ::)

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 29, 2018, 12:33:11 am »

Why are unmodified files (like raw/objects/language_HUMAN.txt or raw/graphics/example/dwarves.bmp) included in the download?

This makes it more difficult to merge this with other mods. I have to dos2unix and diff each and every file to ensure they don't stomp on each other :|
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 29, 2018, 01:01:20 am »

Why are unmodified files (like raw/objects/language_HUMAN.txt or raw/graphics/example/dwarves.bmp) included in the download?

This makes it more difficult to merge this with other mods. I have to dos2unix and diff each and every file to ensure they don't stomp on each other :|

Sorry about that. As for why, because it's overall the most idiotproof way to implement it. Telling the player to replace the whole raw folder is far less likely to cause problems than "dump these in and overwrite all things prompted"
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 29, 2018, 05:56:04 pm »

Ah, that makes sense :)

I've figured out how to deal with your method of distribution on my end - basically turn a vanilla DF install into a git repo, and I can then drop your stuff on top and generate a patch that I can then apply to my real install. Which is also a git repo now, because it just makes it easier to manage over time.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 30, 2018, 10:50:06 am »

Nice, hope that turns out useful then.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 07, 2018, 08:10:49 pm »

Welp, after...quite a while I got in a mood to do a smol bit of tweaking to the mod.

Minor stuff out of the way would be footwraps being a thing, porting over some stuff from my other mod to make kobolds look less generic, and some changes to how caps and masks are considered armor vs clothing (reverting to vanilla handling for the former, allowing war masks for the latter).

Swordwomen and such is a minor flavor thing worth mentioning. It's not that big of a deal but does let you tell apart your human, elven, and goblin companions a bit more easily. Unless you're playing the same species it's not really needed for animal-people, but since there's the resident animal-people tribes that would be a factor more often than in vanilla.

The thing where it applies to animal-people is worth noting. I had to make a creature variation for the TWO genderless animal-people in the game because taking the streamlined way and dumping female profession names into the CV raw would break them.

Then there's the chance in values to humans. Instead of every value being a COMPLETE crapshoot, I set all of them to vary plus or minus 15 of what values old, pre-VARIABLE_VALUE humans used. The one exception was knowledge, which for whatever reason doesn't seem to have existed back when humans had fixed values. So I picked a range that would ensure they at least never HATE building libraries, as that's part of why libraries are infamously rare in DF.

The one that took a bit of time was trying to add just a bit more stuff to make kobolds and said tribes more distinct flavor-ise, and not much could be done. I went and dabbled in another possible way to make a civilization generate stone weapons, but that method didn't work. The only other option would be kinda less than ideal, as it'd populate allow stone clubs and staves, two weapons that are balanced with the density of wood and bone in mind, on top of making little sense (for staves it's self-explanatory, while a stone club logically shouldn't be any different from the existing option for players to craft stone maces).

Instead I went with adding a little extra to their clothing/armor lists. Not much really, Resurfaced get cloaks and footwraps as additional clothing, kobolds get caps, gloves, footwraps and sandals for extra clothes. For armor kobolds get gambesons in addition to the aforementioned caps, while Resurfaced gain leather armor and (wooden) masks.

As usual, if I borked anything or if any suggestions come to mind, feel free to throw them at me. :3
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 01, 2019, 11:54:35 pm »

I'm really confused as to what this mod actually does. :(

I see it in lists of mods as an adventure mode expansion, but the opening post doesn't really give any sort of goal of the mod or what it really does.  Is the mod meant to let you craft things like in fortress mode?  Because the notable features list just lists poisoning weapons, extracting from beasts, and joint locks. 

Does it let me dig or craft armor?  Where do you get metal?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 02, 2019, 12:30:39 am »

You'd have to read more of it, as the features bit only really references a few things that were notable back when I first released this, especially compared to other Wanderer's Friend-based mods.

It started as focusing largely on crafting and general improvements to adventure mode, allowing you to make almost anything that's remotely useful in adventure mode and expanding the playable race list. It's since diverged into a long array of various item additions (largely to flesh out other underused combat skills and niches), rebalances of various things, a wider array of monsters to hunt, alchemical stuff and other things to encourage hunting them, etc.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 03, 2019, 01:53:48 am »

You'd have to read more of it, as the features bit only really references a few things that were notable back when I first released this, especially compared to other Wanderer's Friend-based mods.

It started as focusing largely on crafting and general improvements to adventure mode, allowing you to make almost anything that's remotely useful in adventure mode and expanding the playable race list. It's since diverged into a long array of various item additions (largely to flesh out other underused combat skills and niches), rebalances of various things, a wider array of monsters to hunt, alchemical stuff and other things to encourage hunting them, etc.

I see that now. 

Can you forge a metal sarcophagus?  So I can fill it with dead bodies and crush people with it in battle?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 03, 2019, 03:17:26 pm »

I know I included a fair bit of metalworking options (you need a carpenter's workshop as this is currently the only adventure-buildable workshop), but I think I forgot that.

Seeing as how focused the adventure-construction system's hardcode is on the assumption that adventurers will only have access to wood, I'll double-check and test whether it figures out to place metal furniture, and add it if so. :3
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 03, 2019, 03:27:57 pm »

I know I included a fair bit of metalworking options (you need a carpenter's workshop as this is currently the only adventure-buildable workshop), but I think I forgot that.

Seeing as how focused the adventure-construction system's hardcode is on the assumption that adventurers will only have access to wood, I'll double-check and test whether it figures out to place metal furniture, and add it if so. :3

Thank you very much!  I haven't played Adventure Mode for a while, so I saw this mod and figured it was to add lots of crafting, and figured thats what I wanted out of Adventure mode this time.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 03, 2019, 03:42:37 pm »

About to run the test. And I just discovered some amusing shit while testing. It seems that the caste-level flavor profession names show up in the skill menu even though only half the species has it applied to them, meaning human skills get labeled axewoman, swordswoman etc despite there being a 50% chance that the profession name won't make any sense.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 03, 2019, 07:15:52 pm »

Welp, there we go. Sorry that it took a while to add that, some interruptions came up while working on the reactions. Minor sidenote, you can now guess what gender charcreation picked from the skill menu for most creatures, as it picks caste at the very start and cites either the expected default profession names, or the caste profession name if the selected caste has one.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33