Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 33

Author Topic: [47.02 - .47.05] Adventurecraft (latest update 11/27/2022)  (Read 145480 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: [47.01] Adventurecraft (yet another Wanderer's Friend derivative)
« Reply #375 on: February 02, 2020, 05:21:09 pm »

The new version actually seems to have fixed the "no making stuff out of sentients" bug. I was able to make a troll skull helmet decorated with troll horns, despite trolls having [CAN_LEARN]. Not sure if I can also eat sentients, will probably try that later.

Trolls have had [CAN_LEARN] removed from them in Adventurecraft for a while, actually. :/
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: [47.02] Adventurecraft (yet another Wanderer's Friend derivative)
« Reply #376 on: February 08, 2020, 05:02:20 am »

And now, a 47.02 update since the new entity token precludes 100% compatibility with 47.01. Decided that Resurfaced will get to trigger HFS during worldgen.

There was also a brief experiment in trying to flesh out the Resurfaced a bit more by giving them gods. First I tried regional forces, but you know the sphere alignment for elves heavily favors trees. Well, forces are still hardcoded to align with forests and rivers it seems, so that attempt fell flat instantly.

Then I had what I thought was a clever idea: what if I gave them a pantheon with sphere profiles that favor the same spheres megabeasts have, so that they might worship megabeasts more often? Well, the first problem that came out was that then sphere and sphere_alignment tokens...reeeaaally don't seem to stop them from giving a wide, crazy variety of misc spheres to their gods. I tried adding sphere alignments exceeding a million, I tried making every apparently-related sphere have an alignment of zero, nothing. They love generating kooky as fuck gods.

Fantastic suspects that prophets from other civs are fucking with the pantheon via conversion bullshit magic, but the odd thing is every odd-job god available for the Resurfaced generated with a native gibberish name. So if this is the case, then either foreign gods automatically get translated into utterances when adopted by a civ that's primarily gibberish-speakers, or else prophet chicanery INJECTS spheres into foreign gods. My money is still on sphere_alignment simply not working, it's already provably not doing anything to alter elven forces, and its impact on human preference for war gods (the only other vanilla use for the token) is kinda hard to conclusively prove.

And then the insult to injury, at no point was I able to select a megabeast to worship, which was the only thing I wanted out of the pantheon addition. So Resurfaced remain godless for now, though Adventurecraft-specific megabeasts STILL got a few extra spheres for flavoe.

If I ever add additional secrets to add a magic expansion to Adventurecraft, I might ensure they align with spheres used by thematically-fitting megabeasts. Last time I tinkered with new secrets, I found out that megabeasts can be credited with giving out secrets if their spheres align. Assuming this is still a thing, it'd be a cute addition.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 07:47:34 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Onel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 15, 2020, 12:31:15 pm »

Are you supposed to eat the essence to gain magic? I've made some essence of war magic and when I drink it nothing happens.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 15, 2020, 01:28:30 pm »

Are you supposed to eat the essence to gain magic? I've made some essence of war magic and when I drink it nothing happens.

Check your "learned abilities" menu. Annoyingly, I found out that changing title like interactions can do (i.e. having "mage" appended to your species name) doesn't seem to work for material syndromes, and it also doesn't trigger "you have learned X" like reading slabs does. This already be seen with the older Draconic Fury potion, you have to poke through your x menu to realize it temporarily lets you breathe fire. If you already have War Magic OR Protection Magic, it also should fail to do anything (though I might not have been able to implement the opposing pairs mechanic for megabeast-crafted spell stuff).

Meanwhile I did a...couple updates since then. Mostly just finally adding Max's idea of an interaction available to playable races, that strips CAN_LEARN from a critter temporarily so you can use their body materials. For ease of use however, I'll likely still have semi-megabeasts count as unintelligent. Also tinkered with some elven stuff, and about to release an update reverting the "staves, clubs, etc as tools" change, as I found out that weapon tools are bugged and wear out against clothing abnormally fast compared to weapons and misc objects.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Onel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 16, 2020, 05:39:34 am »

Check your "learned abilities" menu. Annoyingly, I found out that changing title like interactions can do (i.e. having "mage" appended to your species name) doesn't seem to work for material syndromes, and it also doesn't trigger "you have learned X" like reading slabs does. This already be seen with the older Draconic Fury potion, you have to poke through your x menu to realize it temporarily lets you breathe fire. If you already have War Magic OR Protection Magic, it also should fail to do anything (though I might not have been able to implement the opposing pairs mechanic for megabeast-crafted spell stuff).

Checked my learned abilities menu and there's nothing there. Tried a few times save scumming.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 16, 2020, 11:23:33 am »

Odd. Wait, what species are you playing as? If I recall...well wait no, that's only for the interaction, I wasn't able to add checks for CAN_SPEAK to the craftable version. You don't already have war or protection magic from a slab, I assume? And if I recall, I omitted the usual "check for GENERAL_POISON" thing since now we have playable experiments that're likely to lack that creature class...let me give another test to make sure...

EDIT: Ahah fuck, I found the problem, a missing syndrome token in several of the magical essences. I realized that the one used by gargoyles was working and found the token I was missing. >_<

There we go, just fixed it. For a game in progress, you should be fine just copy-pasting creature_adventurecraft, creature_standard, and inorganic_other from the latest version's raw/objects into your data/save/<WORLDNAME>/raw/objects folder.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 11:54:07 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Onel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 16, 2020, 01:44:39 pm »

EDIT: Ahah fuck, I found the problem, a missing syndrome token in several of the magical essences. I realized that the one used by gargoyles was working and found the token I was missing. >_<

There we go, just fixed it. For a game in progress, you should be fine just copy-pasting creature_adventurecraft, creature_standard, and inorganic_other from the latest version's raw/objects into your data/save/<WORLDNAME>/raw/objects folder.

Worked perfectly. Thankyou very much.  :D

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 16, 2020, 03:05:43 pm »

No worries, sorry I didn't catch that sooner. @.@
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

hertggf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [47.02 - .47.03] Adventurecraft (yet another Wanderer's Friend derivative)
« Reply #383 on: February 23, 2020, 12:40:37 pm »

I noticed that you put the tag [NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER] on a bunch of animals in creature_adventurecraft.txt. That tag doesn't make that
creature hunt night creatures, it means that it will hunt for people to convert into "spouses" like night trolls do.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 23, 2020, 01:03:15 pm »

I noticed that you put the tag [NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER] on a bunch of animals in creature_adventurecraft.txt. That tag doesn't make that
creature hunt night creatures, it means that it will hunt for people to convert into "spouses" like night trolls do.

On its own, it means it's a night creature, not that it hunts night creatures (that's the player's job XP). In order to convert spouses, it also needs the SPOUSE_CONVERTER token last I checked (hence not encountering any converted feral ogres, sanguine dragons etc). Without, it its main effects are triggering hostility when contacting normal creatures (as MEGABEAST, SEMIMEGABEAST, and a few other tokens do), as well as triggering support for the LAIR and HABIT tokens. Evidently werebeasts can generate with this token as well, if the wiki is correct, if so they likewise still lack SPOUSE_CONVERTER since that's not their primary method of propgating.

The main reason they use that token was to add another tier of hostile animal beneath SEMIMEGABEAST and MEGABEAST, since those two tokens are handled in a particular way during worldgen (and I'm fairly certain that makes them not work well if you try to spawn a natural population of them). This way there's a small population of genuinely monstrous wildlife in certain biomes, and many of them will gain notoriety as historical figures and claiming lairs. Overall in-between LARGE_PREDATOR animals who just kinda exist and occasionally antagonize a civ by pure chance, and semi-megabeasts.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

hertggf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 24, 2020, 10:59:31 am »

OK, maybe I should have been more clear I was just checking that you put it on dire wolves/bears intentionally. HF ones seem to just be appearing out of the populations anyway so the game may be ignoring it.
I'm a big fan of this mod by the way and I'm really enjoying the recent additions.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 24, 2020, 12:48:20 pm »

No worries. Yeah, it is intentional. I'm fairly certain the histfig generation is thanks to that token making it happen haphazardly during worldgen (which a feral population just existing in the wild), both the only behavior I'm 100% certain of is the way it enforces hostility towards normal critters.

Meanwhile, have had an update or two lately, mostly just general tinkering around with stuff.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

sxtxixtxcxh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 24, 2020, 05:26:39 pm »

there's a couple missing brackets, one in creature_large_riverlake.txt ~line 582 and one in creature_adventurecraft.txt ~line 835 which i found while trying to figure out why all the civs seem mixed up after world gen.

i'm not sure if it's intentional or expected or not, but dwarf civs don't seem to exist in fortress/adventurer/legends mode and every entity seems to be occupying the wrong site types (elves in goblin forest retreats, humans in mountainhomes, etc...) but _during world gen_ the sites seem to be appropriately labeled.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 05:32:43 pm by sxtxixtxcxh »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 25, 2020, 01:53:19 pm »

Huh, thanks for spotting that, for whatever reason it wasn't ever reporting that in errorlog (presumably it interprets an opened token as a comment). Should be updated by now. :3

But, that would've just caused specific states of matter for those contact poisons to use the template's material name (extract) instead. I'm not sure why it's not generating civs right for you, as every world I've generated on normal settings forces a dwarven civ to generate. This is in fact one of the settings you can disable in advanged worldgen, and it's used by default (when it basically always places at least one ). Are you mixing this with another mod that touches entities?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

sxtxixtxcxh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 25, 2020, 06:41:03 pm »

nah, i tried debugging the wonky civs after watching a stream where someone had the same issue...
here's where he loads up legends viewer: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/556883517?t=0h13m50s he tried a few times after this in this stream eventually went without the mod

so i tried a fresh extraction of the DF zip, and a full replace of raw/objects folder, and i got the same problem.

i _just now_ downloaded your update, unzipped a vanilla dwarf fortress download, replaced raw/objects, made a new world, and i still get the same thing: missing dwarf civ, and every other entity shuffled around.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 06:45:17 pm by sxtxixtxcxh »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 33