Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33

Author Topic: [47.02 - .47.05] Adventurecraft (latest update 11/27/2022)  (Read 145530 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: [.42.04] Adventurecraft (yet another Wanderer's Friend derivative)
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2016, 09:57:31 am »

A bit odd, though material type "metal" sadly isn't how it works. Would use "inorganic" instead, but...

What would work is instead assigning a reaction_class to make it reference that instead, but this would break for non-metal items. For weapons this is only a concern with cloth or leather slings, but it would hinder dismantling armor. Adding separate versions for metal and non-metal gear might work, but then that leads to yet more glorious reaction clutter.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Glatux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2016, 10:10:25 am »

Angel don't have metallic armor, only their weapon and shield are made of metal, the rest of their stuff is divine cloth which is only fire proof silk, so only having a secondary reaction for metal weapon could be enough(and maybe one for scraping shield).

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2016, 10:18:58 am »

Ah right, odd. In which case it might work for metal weapons, and I've actually yet to add a shield dismantling reaction.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

hawkwing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2016, 06:02:12 pm »

Oh that is odd. Wait. I think I see a likely suspect for the cause. I didn't think to assign a skill to the reactions because I wasn't sure what might be fitting for it. Why didn't I think of using metalcrafting or armorsmithing? I am a dunce. >.<

Wow, quick response! On that note, actually, wouldn't some of the skills, like weapon making, make more sense under weaponsmith instead of metal crafter? Meanwhile decorating with metal or making metal crafts would use metal crafter.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2016, 06:44:00 pm »

Possibly, though there's also the issue that you're not smithing anything. Then again fortress-mode metalcraft uses a forge anyway, so it might still be logical to use the equivalent skill.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

hawkwing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2016, 07:03:03 pm »

Well I happen to be peeking through the files and making the changes on my end anyways. If it would save you some trouble, I could toss you a copy of the changes I make.

Also: any thoughts on adding the ability to smith 2h swords, mauls, hammers, etc? I'm feeling in a productive mood tonight.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2016, 07:14:13 pm »

Might be interesting to add a few more options for weapons, though wasn't sure. Was initially limiting it to some of the simpler weapons, but it might still be fine to add to the list of options.

As for changing those, should be simple enough. Weaponsmithing for metal weapons, and...not sure whether to use armorsmithing for reinforcing non-metal armor or not.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

hawkwing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2016, 08:28:27 pm »

The key things I've noticed so far:
  • metal arrow production should canonically use FORGE_WEAPON, not METALCRAFT.
  • metal weapon production should use FORGE_WEAPON
  • metal armor production should use FORGE_ARMOR

I'm assuming the only changes that need to be made for those issues are in reaction_other.txt. I'll toss up a copy of that file in an hour or so if anyone wants it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:51:13 pm by hawkwing »

hawkwing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2016, 10:28:00 pm »

Hah, well it seems you beat me to the punch on at least some of that. Here's my version of reaction_other. It's not completely obsolete, at least!

It was a fun little first-step into Dwarf Fotress modding, at any rate. Mainly, it changes a few metalcrafting references to use armorer/weaponsmith (forge_armor/forge_weapon) as appropriate.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2016, 10:43:10 pm »

Meep. Can snag the skill re-assignment at least, sure. as for armor and weapons...hmm. The armor at least was largely restricted to things that can be crafted using bones, shell, or leather, so most other types would need to essentially expand this into being less "go forth and be a monster hunter" and more general-purpose. Which might be interesting, true.

Though does add to the list of recipes, some of which might be redundant and/or awkward to implement.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

hawkwing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2016, 01:55:01 am »

AGH! As with all new skills, mistakes will be made. I used the wrong skill token (should be FORGE_WEAPON, not METALSMITHING) in a few places. My save hasn't exploded horribly or anything yet, but I didn't use any of the bugged reactions before I caught the mistake. I went ahead and fixed that, and made a few tweaks to the reaction descriptions while I was at it.

Here is the new version if you want it. Changelog is over on the dffd page. A changelog for a mod of a mod (of a mod?). Truly, what has this world come to?

While looking around, I spotted mention of Categories for reactions. However they're apparently only for Fort mode. Such a pitty.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 01:59:54 am by hawkwing »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2016, 11:12:58 am »

Ack. Right, forge_weapon. Easily fixed, literally just some flexing of the ctrl-G and ctrl-V muscles. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

hawkwing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2016, 11:42:50 pm »

Just a few idle thoughts from my time playing and tweaking this mod. Others may not share my opinions, of course.

The ability to directly forge metal armor would be nice. It didn't make much sense to me why I had to make a non-metal version, then reinforce it. Especially in the case of gauntlets, under which players are generally wearing a pair of gloves anyways.

There are a lot of low-tier items in the crafting list that I just can't see myself ever making. Stone and bone tools sound cool, but serve no purpose once you find even a slight bit of metal. Maybe if megabeast bones had properties similar to adamantine or even steel, but otherwise I can't see myself ever making anything with them. That said, adorning the grip of my sword with dragon bone is pretty awesome.

Two step production of spears is a pain. Again, I'm never going to bother with stone/bone/wood spears, so maybe I just don't see the point and others care about it more.

Being able to resize clothes and armor sounded nice, but in practice it's better just to tear everything down to scrap and craft a ☼new version☼...

...Except that you can't craft many important types of clothes, like leather shirts, trousers, and more. If part of this mod's goal is to enable players to walk around in the skins of their defeated foes, this seems important. Especially for players who don't want to sacrifice their metal armor for bone.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2016, 01:30:07 am »

The idea of reinforcing was a bit of a derpy idea on my part, yes.

Regarding gauntlets or gloves? There is a good reason you can't make those in Adventurecraft: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6273

Stone and bone tools are largely useful for worlds that lack much in the way of existing civilizations, same reason I had to muck about with ensuring outsiders were still playable if no civs exist.

Spearheads might be a flavor detail I could afford to skip, and scraping (pun intended) the refit mechanic in favor of dismantling might be acceptable, and reduce reaction screen bloat.

And finally, as for clothes? Compared to armor, there isn't as much use for them. The added option of a cloak is the most useful clothing craftable, though adding variety might be interesting.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2016, 05:49:00 pm »

Hey,before I do something stupid,how does the poison thingy that I make works?Do I just throw it at the enemy or do I coat my whip with it?
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33