Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33

Author Topic: [47.02 - .47.05] Adventurecraft (latest update 11/27/2022)  (Read 144279 times)

Kavrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oof. That's mentioned as one of the fucky things about crafting in general. Notice how in vanilla adventure boecarving, everything you can make would logically only require a single bone. If you tried to make a recipe demand more than one bone, bar of metal, piece of cloth etc, it'll work fine in fortress mode but start acting up in adventure mode. Usual result tends to be it'll demand a separate stack for every unit requested, then take 1 from each stack, which would get downright fucky once you get to armor and other things that logically should be taking several bones at once.

And then you get to leather goods, where every hide is just one single unit and therefore 1 corpse will always equal 1 leather item, and at that point it ends up being a choice between:
1. Letting the player make hundreds of dragon bone goods from a single dragon yet only ever getting 1 scale item from each.
2. Needing several stacks of filler to actually use those dragon bones for armor (and still being able to make a ton if you do juggle this requirement), with high risk that it's going to pick the weaker bones as the primary material (meaning none of the benefits).
3. Just exploiting REACTION_CLASS so that at least it's consistent relative to how leather is handled, while also sidestepping all of these conundrums.

It's even worse with bars (average product size 150), cloth (average product size 10000), or thread (15000) for rather obvious reasons, and that's why in Adventurecraft the reactions are exploitable as all hell if you use cloth/thread/bars/sheets/etc spawn in sites instead or handmade ones (the reactions produce products with a unit size of 1 and consume only 1 unit to avoid these shenanigans).

I've been using http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140950.0 with the taffer update, that has working bone crafting, i was thinking of using that but it's missing a lot of stuff that your mod has, which is a shame. I do love your mode and the depth it has but having entire bone stacks eaten for a single craft is a pain. Are you on the Dwarf fortress discord?  I was talking to another modder about it and he said it had something to do with "editing the default materials" being the issue, i can ask him further about it if you want.

I think i misunderstood, so is in intentional for balance purposes? the only issue i can see then is not having enough bones to actually level the skill.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 12:52:15 pm by Kavrick »
"how can they not fight in glorious hand to hand combat, face to face with their adversaries, like all true champions of the battlefield do?"

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile

Intentional for balance reasons, avoiding some oddities caused by weird reaction bugs, and consistency yeah.

I am in the DF discord though (as Chaosvolt) I haven't been active in a while due to various things.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Kavrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Intentional for balance reasons, avoiding some oddities caused by weird reaction bugs, and consistency yeah.

I am in the DF discord though (as Chaosvolt) I haven't been active in a while due to various things.

That's fair enough, it is a shame that there's no middle ground, i do much prefer how wanderer deals with it, having too many bones is better than having too few imo.
"how can they not fight in glorious hand to hand combat, face to face with their adversaries, like all true champions of the battlefield do?"

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile

If you mean the original Wanderer's Friend, I vaguely recall back before some mechanic changes stacks of bones would be automatically eaten up entirely by reactions as-is, making this more along the lines of trying to restore much-older behavior because the new mechanics act weird in some cases...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Kavrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you mean the original Wanderer's Friend, I vaguely recall back before some mechanic changes stacks of bones would be automatically eaten up entirely by reactions as-is, making this more along the lines of trying to restore much-older behavior because the new mechanics act weird in some cases...
Not wanderer's friend, just wanderer: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140950.0

Edit: By the by, is your mod supposed to change it so goblins need to eat? In vanilla they dont need food/water but when i was playing with your mod I did when playing one.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 01:45:04 pm by Kavrick »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile

Not wanderer's friend, just wanderer: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140950.0

Ah right, I'll want to check sometime and see if they do anything different. I have vague memories that one of the other common Wanderer variants had a method of using skulls in reactions that I was simply unable to replicate until I found a different method.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Kavrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah right, I'll want to check sometime and see if they do anything different. I have vague memories that one of the other common Wanderer variants had a method of using skulls in reactions that I was simply unable to replicate until I found a different method.

I look forward to seeing how this goes, i do love this mod and the amount of depth it has for crafting compared to other ones, although i think the only other problem i have is how low the succeed chance on breaking down metal stuff is, but i can probably change that myself.

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
Re: [.44.10 - 44.12] Adventurecraft (yet another Wanderer's Friend derivative)
« Reply #352 on: August 26, 2019, 02:51:43 pm »

ignore this I sent it as a PM instead
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 04:20:45 pm by MachoNacho »
pug

Datti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 12, 2019, 07:45:47 am »

First of all, thanks for creating this mod, I've been having so much fun playing with it! However, it seems that centaurs don't ever spawn for me. I've even gone into advanced worldgen to try and create worlds with lots of joyous wilds. But when I look through legends mode, there's not a single centaur to be seen... is this a known issue?

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 12, 2019, 11:43:28 am »

This mod I could call good mod. With issues, but good.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 12, 2019, 04:09:36 pm »

First of all, thanks for creating this mod, I've been having so much fun playing with it! However, it seems that centaurs don't ever spawn for me. I've even gone into advanced worldgen to try and create worlds with lots of joyous wilds. But when I look through legends mode, there's not a single centaur to be seen... is this a known issue?

I've had issues with good regions in general not often having a lot of their unique critters, and I suspect this is exacerbated by their being savage-specific as well. If the adventure critter list includes centuars, that should be a reasonable indication of enough spawns to expect an encounter in the right location, I hope...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Datti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 13, 2019, 03:43:20 am »

I've had issues with good regions in general not often having a lot of their unique critters, and I suspect this is exacerbated by their being savage-specific as well. If the adventure critter list includes centuars, that should be a reasonable indication of enough spawns to expect an encounter in the right location, I hope...
Alright, thanks for the reply!

SakuraHeinz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 24, 2019, 06:20:59 am »

Hoi! somebody of you know were I find a mod that only adds leather crafting and not all the other stuff? so I can play vanilla but at least have leather armor.

I want to play as a very small or very tall character an they cant get armor except their starting gear.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 24, 2019, 02:13:36 pm »

Hoi! somebody of you know were I find a mod that only adds leather crafting and not all the other stuff? so I can play vanilla but at least have leather armor.

I want to play as a very small or very tall character an they cant get armor except their starting gear.

It would be relatively easy to separate the leather recipes from the rest of the mod, and plain crafting-only mods are abundant these days. If one were to grab Adventurecraft's take on it, about the only consideration to tweak would be the fact that the tanning recipe uses a different hook for finding valid skins compared to vanilla, due to enabling you to cure scales and chitin too (while also wanting to deny civs from making chitin items).

Here's a very quick implementation of all the major leatherworking recipe in the mod for you to copy into reaction_other as desired, stripped of items and recipe filtering that would be unique to Adventurecraft:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The noteworthy changes are:
1. Tanning uses the vanilla TAN_MAT instead of DRY_MAT, since it no longer has Adventurecraft's reaction class to look for.
2. Repairing leather goods wasn't ported over because I'm fairly certain the only sane way to screen for leather items was via the added reaction class.
3. Removal of the needle and thread requirements, and of requiring a cutting tool for the two recipes that used it.
4. Changing the reaction names to reflect the fact that they won't be able to make use of scales or chitin.

Feel free to use however much of those they actually want.

Fun fact, after all this time spent waiting around with nothing in particular to do modding-wise, looking through the recipes again made me notice a SMALL error I can fix. The recipe to make footwraps was crafting leather socks instead.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

SakuraHeinz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 24, 2019, 09:43:43 pm »

Thanks for the help,  I love how passionate the dwarf fortress community is.

But I dont know what to do I added this to reaction_other and nothing changes ingame, do I need a new world?

Edit: yes I needed a new world :-X

Thank you very much!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 09:51:25 pm by SakuraHeinz »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33