Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33

Author Topic: [47.02 - .47.05] Adventurecraft (latest update 11/27/2022)  (Read 144285 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: [47.02 - .47.05] Adventurecraft (yet another Wanderer's Friend derivative)
« Reply #450 on: January 28, 2021, 08:49:31 pm »

And smol update now that .47.05 is out. So, in summary regarding recent work I've done...

General summary, I started off deciding that I might as well revive the idea of crude gunpowder weapons I tinkered with for an unreleased mode, adding full support for producing it in fortress mode too.

Next came a host of misc fixes, along with the realization that the backgrounds you can select not only have a practical use (free skills whooo) but what permitted jobs the entity has affect what backgrounds can be picked. So I added a bunch more after testing which ones actually have a use. At the same time I did some rebalancing for magic availability, letting curses dole out the nastier varieties with some side effects, changing which spells are given by which beasts, and a few related tweaks. Also notable was fixing it so trolls, beak dogs, and the like can be more readily picked up as pets by the goblins in worldgen, which is fun given the pet options adventurers have now.

The next update was dominated by a silly thought that came to mind: could I rig it so that human and other civilized NPCs will treat kobold adventurers as hostile as you'd expect them to, given how kobold NPCs would consistently behave towards human or other non-cave-dwelling adventurers? Rumrusher proved to be a MASSIVE help with this, but sadly every method we discovered to try this came with downsides of some sort. So the third notable update as of late came with a change that made kobolds and their pets semi-undead to exploit some hostility behavior, but this was soon removed since I discovered later than it prevents retiring. I went with the idea of making special variant pets for kobolds so that they'd not only behave properly towards their masters, but also so they wouldn't be slaughtered by the traps infesting kobold caves. Even after undoing the hostility feature, I retained that simply so it still makes their pets TRAPAVOID.

Then finally, today's update put a lot of focus on tissue and butchery stuff (plus the second half of my efforts to tinker with kobolds). A fair few tiny critters got size buffs until they were juuust large enough to be butcherable, with obligatory fixes to their giant variants. But on top of that, came sinew and feather stuff. I finally decided to make sinew a proper tissue that can be obtained from butchery, and set it to be used for the catgut thread recipe instead of guts, allowing guts to count as meat again. And as for feathers, lot of tweaks went into ensuring all birds you can butcher will give feathers, whereas in vanilla nothing smaller than an ostrich can do so. For now it's only useful in a decoration reaction since there's not much to do with them, as I'm not sure yet whether I'd want to make arrows and bolts require explicit fletching or not. That might be too much detail for my taste.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Virok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello.

So far have been enjoying the mod. I've noticed bone carving reactions consume entire stacks of bones.
I've looked through the raws to compare them to vanilla, what does the reaction class 'CARVE_BOTH' do? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the df documentation.

For example as in the bone ring reaction:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Could it be a typo, instead supposed to be 'CARVE_BONE'? I noticed it soon after, by looking at some of the other ones.
E.g
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 11:30:12 am by Virok »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile

The reaction classes are added specifically to make it use entire stacks, yes. In vanilla DF, every bonecarving reaction uses a single bone, both because all items are small, and because that actually works without bugs.

But in Adventurecraft, I ran into the problem where anything that tries to use more than one bone or other body material as a reagent is buggy as hell: https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9106

In a nutshell: Let's say you try to make a reaction take, for example, two bones. Instead of taking 2 bones out of a stack that has 2 or more bones, ideally with the option of combining 2 separate stacks that may each have only 1 bone, it instead demands 2 SEPARATE stacks of bone.

Since most items in Adventurecraft would logically require more than a single bone to make, the smaller items were set to take a whole stack purely for consistency. Being able to use horns, skulls, teeth etc also helps compensate for it to an extent by giving the player some extra options for what to target for making trinkets.

It also enforces consistency with how tanning hides are used. Even in vanilla a single skin always makes a single hide, and the potential for inconsistency would be a bit more noticeable with the ability to tan hides in adventure mode. Even the potential for cheesing things a bit is the same, you can make more leather out of one creature by lopping off limbs beforehand.

This, plus yet another reaction-related bug (https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3712) is also why the recipes for obtaining thread from animal hair produce a thread that, internally, only has a single unit in it instead of the 15000 units thread normally holds inside it. Needless to say, potentially accidentally burying the player in a game-crashing 15000+ individual hairs on crafting, or being faced with a recipe that demands 15000 individual stacks of thread to weave cloth, would be a big problem.

tl;dr DF has some weird bugs, stuff was done on purpose to avoid wacky behavior and enforce some internal consistency for gameplay's sake
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Virok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, I see. Thank you for taking your time to explain it in detail.
I merely presumed something could be done by this point in development, similar to the gauntlets script.

Great work.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile

With some use of scripting it might be doable, but as with gauntlets I never really got around to looking into providing DFHack resources in the mod, mostly since I worry that'd complicate instructions a bit more. I still need to look into the tileset stuff for the eventual steam release, too. @.@
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

kevinfragger2427

• Bay Watcher
  • I SIMP FOR NW_KOHAKU SEMPAIII
    • View Profile

Just popped in to drop a bug report: the Gargoyle, for some crazily odd reason, crashes the game every time I try to pull up a description for it. I don't know if this is because I'm on windows. And it makes no sense cause looking at the raws it should be fine. Tested it with both male and female, on a spanking shining clean (unmodded, untampered) game.
NW_Kohaku, marry me this instant!!!

Virok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can confirm the gargoyle bug also appears on Linux, clean save; instant crash when accessing description.
Error log is empty, and the terminal only reports some form of segmentation fault.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile

Ah, just confirmed it. My bet is I possibly made a typo of some sort in the description stuff (like color of shell or what have you), but if that's the case I'm not sure why it doesn't error on load. I'll look at other stuff that could maybe affect it but not sure what else would.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile

Okay I can examine MYSELF if I'm controlling a gargoyle in arena mode without issue, but trying to view description from v and z in the fort-mode controls crashes it. Strangely, there is NO crash when examining another gargoyle at the adventure mode level, at least in arena mode.

So I'm guessing both crashes you've had have been in fortress mode, or am I missing something here? Aside from why it's doing this at all, still haven't figured that out.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile

Okay I can examine MYSELF if I'm controlling a gargoyle in arena mode without issue, but trying to view description from v and z in the fort-mode controls crashes it. Strangely, there is NO crash when examining another gargoyle at the adventure mode level, at least in arena mode.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I had something similar happen with a creature. Asked about it on the question thread, and it was somehow related to the CAN_SPEAK token without having some other tokens. Here's the discussion:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110027.msg8249539#msg8249539

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile

I figured out what seems to be the problem while talking about it on the discord, and yeah it's basically that. Monsters with [CAN_SPEAK] but NOT [CAN_LEARN] evidently cause some unknown manner of problem now. I'm going to assume this is technically a weird DF code bug, but in practice there's no need for SMBs to be able to make small talk anyway.

I'm fixing it now, and once I've confirmed it doesn't fuck with minotaur taunts (the only verbal communition from SMBs of note, which seems to work via entirely different mechanics), then will have the fix up.

EDIT: And fix is up, let me know if I missed anything else. :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 07:12:24 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

kevinfragger2427

• Bay Watcher
  • I SIMP FOR NW_KOHAKU SEMPAIII
    • View Profile

I figured out what seems to be the problem while talking about it on the discord, and yeah it's basically that. Monsters with [CAN_SPEAK] but NOT [CAN_LEARN] evidently cause some unknown manner of problem now. I'm going to assume this is technically a weird DF code bug

Interesting, interesting! I'll keep that in mind in the future. Appreciate the quick response, btw. Your mod is one of very few Adventurer Mode mods out right now for 47.05 and I appreciate it greatly!!
NW_Kohaku, marry me this instant!!!

Virok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice work.
Does the SLOW_LEARNER tag still allow the creature to learn at all without the CAN_LEARN tag, in the mod raws e.g blizzard man, troll, ogre?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile

Nice work.
Does the SLOW_LEARNER tag still allow the creature to learn at all without the CAN_LEARN tag, in the mod raws e.g blizzard man, troll, ogre?

I'm not sure if it does, but I doubt it. It's usually used in combination with CAN_LEARN in vanilla, if I recall. At least it doesn't seem to break using body materials, cannibalism, and the like.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Virok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Found a minor potential bug, although I'm not sure if it's directly linked to the mod.
Alcohol brewed in adventurer mode does not seem to satisfy the drink alcohol need, it does cause inebriation syndromes and associated good thoughts, however.
Drinks spawned through dfhack exhibit similar behaviour, so far only worldgen alcohol found in taverns satisfies the need.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33