Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: The Illustrated Dwarf  (Read 26159 times)

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Illustrated Dwarf
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 08:29:56 am »

Remember-children are our most precious natural resource!

More precious then coal?

Um, well. . . .

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A glorious future awaits you in Dwarf Fortress!!

Thanksgiving is coming.  Will be delayed, and will take the time to finish colouring on the remaining pictures, and start out the next book.

Updated to add a second picture, since I placed them in the wrong order.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:03:22 am by Knick »
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 01:35:09 pm »

The word continuously is missing a u.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 01:46:29 pm »

P T W
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 06:53:39 pm »

The word continuously is missing a u.

DAMMIT!! 

Oh well.  It's kind of too late to change it now.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 03:11:20 am »

Make a book.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2015, 09:15:07 am »

The Illustrated Dwarf:  Chapter Two:  The Green Party

Aha!  I have figured out how to fix spelling errors!  IN YOUR FACE, LACK OF PROOFREADING!!  IN YOUR FCAE!!

Make a book.

I have three copyright violations on the first page.  I might have to figure those out first.  And really, I am doing this for shits and giggles, and to amuse my kids (who will probably show up at a later date.

I would love to see a sketch about the peculiarities of Dwarven Engineering; i.e. building a staircase from above, desalination via pump, giant cheese statues, etc.

In the next book, maybe.  I have some of that for later, but I think I can reserve a section for what can best be described as "Dwarven Mental Health", and what is normal and not normal for dwarves.

Vortex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2015, 09:29:15 am »

I have three copyright violations on the first page.  I might have to figure those out first.  And really, I am doing this for shits and giggles, and to amuse my kids (who will probably show up at a later date.

Have you actually gotten notices on these?  If so I have to say I'm pretty impressed that Walt Disney, Warner Brothers, and Rich Burlew would trouble themselves to pay Dwarf Fortress a visit. :)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2015, 10:00:06 am »

If you do a book of the story of Boatmurdered (as you seem quite good in it I supposed you already thought about it), I think you can sell it quite well (even if it will require some work). I would consider buying it very seriously.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2015, 11:35:39 am »

Have you actually gotten notices on these?  If so I have to say I'm pretty impressed that Walt Disney, Warner Brothers, and Rich Burlew would trouble themselves to pay Dwarf Fortress a visit. :)

Ha!  No.  Actually, Warner Brothers would not have much of a case.  Disney would.  Paramount might.  And I'd rather chew off my own foot then piss off Rich Burlew.  I love the Order of the Stick.  Right now this would be considered fan fiction.  If I tried to make money off of them, that would be a different matter. 

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2015, 01:19:37 pm »

I am shocked this hasn't gotten more attention.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2015, 04:10:42 pm »

This work is obviously "satire" and therefore protected from copyright claims under "Freedom of Speech" in America.  This would only be a copyright violation if you attempted to claim their product as yours and then attempted further to make revenue from that false claim.  Just mentioning the Disney version of a commonly held folk-tale is not grounds for copyright violation, and further, any cease and desist notices are both unlawful and actionable in the American Court as "frivolous or malicious litigation", which is subject to some pretty hefty fines at both the state and federal levels.  (Basically, it's illegal to waste a court's time with BS claims.) 

I'm not sure what other country's legal systems have to say about copyright law and bogus cease and desist notices, but I'd imagine that many have a similarly dim view on corporate fat-cats attempting to bully upstanding citizens using a governmental institution. (At least, without paying a nice hefty sum to said governmental institution to make it worth their time.  In America, we call this "Lobbying".)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:16:24 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2015, 02:11:20 pm »

I don't realistically think anyone cares about a few cartoons of this sort.  It's only a problem if I make money off of it.

Anyway, I have a request.  I am starting the next book.  I am starting with the building of a fortress, and so on.  I also going to go into how a fortress functions, and how it may fail.  I would also like a chapter on threats to a fortress.  Finally, I want to illustrate a story about dwarf fortress.  Boatmurdered is a bit to long. 

To that end, I would be happy for suggestions from the community.  Keep in mind that this may take a while.  I have only just started sketching the first few pages.  They will eventually need to be inked, shaded, and coloured.  So, this will take a while.  I will do my best to give credit, where credit is due.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2015, 07:54:44 pm »

You should talk about Giant Cave Spiders, both the horrors of them and the many uses of them/their silk.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2015, 11:07:14 pm »

If you haven't already considered it, a chapter on magma (and its myriad uses) would be great.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2015, 05:22:59 am »

I understand Boatmurdered is too long (it would need several people, actually).

In my opinion, the most important things in a Fortress are Forgotten Beasts (because of their randomness the fact that they can be very dangerous, and, sometimes, because they can be beautiful),  the mixture of heroic and stupid moves it brings and artefacts, the madness and creativity around them. Their details, their awesome power.

Perhaps writing the story of a specific artefact ? How it brought glory and saved a Fortress against (mounted) sieges, and against this winged doe-headed fire-breathing titan ?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12