Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47

Author Topic: Blind Fate - Turn 42 (Updated 2/24)  (Read 46165 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Blind Fate - Turn 42 (Updated 2/24)
« on: September 13, 2015, 01:09:57 am »

You are a colonist on a ship that's crash-landed on an alien world. Your character wakes up from a stasis pod with little knowledge of what happened, other than the fact that the ship was falling and everyone who wanted to live had to get inside a pod.
Most of the reading in this OP, I've realized, isn't really necessary for gameplay. It's primarily useful for a backstory. If you don't want to read it, you are welcome to sign up.

Background

Spoiler: Spoiler'd for brevity (click to show/hide)

See one of my old RtD's for a similar though non-canonical backstory.

The Plot

The Generation Colony Ship Einstein's Cross arrived at its destination in 3920±10 A.D, although due to time dilation effects only about three hundred of the journey's six-hundred year were felt.
Deceleration from the voyage was performed by a braking laser sent and constructed centuries in advance. The laser was built from a crystal sent along with the initial drone package, while the rest of the materials and solar arrays were constructed out of in-system materials. The in-system manufactories have since gone defunct, as has the laser. After all, they were only designed to last precisely the length of time needed to ensure arrival.

Spoiler: Spoiler'd for brevity (click to show/hide)
Her designers had planned for the crash, and her surface was coated in heat resistant panels. She would survive atmospheric reentry.
Her various pieces and modules, however, could not stay attached or they would be torn apart by aerodynamic forces. She had to be scuttled and each part would touchdown--with far greater weight than planned--on its own. Burdened with hundreds of colonists, Einstein's Cross filled the sky with hundreds of blazing flares on the night she fell, and few were expected to survive.

You are one of the survivors.

Additional Info

Einstein's Cross was divided into eight Sectors, each with populations of their own tasked with maintaining an artificial biosphere and ensuring genetic stability.
Greenheart started with an initial Ten, five male, five female. Together they raised hundreds of embryos from cold storage, which raised children of their own after they were capable. At the end of the journey the population was two thousand total on this sector alone. The thaws worked to maintain the ship, earning themselves slumber time until the landing. Ultimately about 60% of the roughly 16000 colonists on Crash Night were born during the first century of the voyage, the rest born on later centuries as birthrates slowed and supply limits were reached.

Colonists were periodically thawed for their important skills or experience. Additionally, there were three major eras that took place aboard the ship.
Spoiler: Generations (click to show/hide)

Greenheart sector broke up in the middle of the fall, sending most of her precious stasis pods falling with parachutes, but lacking heatshields. The number that survived is uncertain, but there are inevitably quite a few scattered across the surface.

Mechanics

Mechanics are the usual, with a d6 for actions:
[1]: Bad overshoot (You fail, along with an unintended effect)
[2]: Failure
[3]: Slightly Successful
[4]: Mostly Successful
[5]: Success
[6]: Good Overshoot (You succeed, but have an unintended effect)

You may queue as many actions as you like, but I'll stop in the middle of them if further input is required.

Attacks are coupled with a defense roll and an evasion roll by the enemy. The results may vary based on the situation, but weapons have two main statistics: Power and Accuracy.
Power: The amount the defense roll must be equal to or greater than to block the attack. Blocking an attack just barely results in damage taken, but blocking by a large margin guarantees safety.
Accuracy: The amount the evasion roll must be equal to or greater than to disregard the attack entirely. Just barely evading will result in reduced damage taken rather than all-out avoiding the attack.

In general, evasion is better than defense as it disregards defense entirely if it succeeds. Evasion is, however, more difficult to come by and is more readily affected by in-combat modifiers such as being pinned or ambushed.

Unarmed combat has 3/3 Power/Evasion cost.

Bonuses to actions will be provided by "traits," listed on your character status. While you do not start with any traits, you will receive a "Miniquest" when you roll a base 5. The quest will have a certain requirement based on the type of action, and will award you a trait if you succeed.

To sign up, simply fill out the sheet below.
Your character will wake up unconscious at a crash site inside a stasis pod.

Spoiler: Charsheet (click to show/hide)

Don't worry too much about balance. Most progression will be gear-based and trait-based, and as such you won't start with any traits unless they are necessary from the bio (for example: someone who is disabled).
I'll pick six players after some time. There will be a waitlist in case someone likes the setting and one of the characters dies (or, more commonly, a player drops out).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 04:06:08 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Fate - Sci Fi Colonization/Survival/Exploration
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 01:10:13 am »

Characters:
Arthur Staunch (Megggas)
Cueball (Paphi)
Nyar Donovon (WunderKatze)
Nole (Slayer1557)
Ciri Alta (Twinwolf)
S.D. McGroove (SaberToothTiger)

Waitlist:
AbstractTraitorHero
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:14:16 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 01:41:42 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 02:56:15 am by Pencil_Art »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 01:49:49 am »

I will be joining this~

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 05:49:30 am »

Can you give me an idea of what this game will entail? I'd like to know before I make a sheet.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 07:42:34 am »

Il give this a shot.

Feel free to adjust his date of birth if necessary so that his final days of unstasis'd life overlap with the formation of the council.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 07:46:20 am by Megggas »
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 01:28:24 pm »

Can you give me an idea of what this game will entail? I'd like to know before I make a sheet.

Well, in the beginning the players probably need to find each other and take inventory of what they can find. Then it's exploration/finding pods from there. I have a whole landscape planned out.

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 02:00:04 pm »

This seems cool.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 02:15:48 pm »

Here,

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 08:41:08 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 04:01:15 pm »

Reserved. Time shortage
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:01:35 pm by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 04:33:22 pm »

Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 02:58:44 am »

Going to bump this for today.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 08:54:31 pm »

Sounds cool.  Wish me luck!

Spoiler: "Character Sheet" (click to show/hide)

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 01:42:37 am »

I hope I may join this, it looks pretty rad.
Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Can I be a robot/part robot? If not, I shall redo my sheet.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 02:31:24 am »

I hope I may join this, it looks pretty rad.
Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Can I be a robot/part robot? If not, I shall redo my sheet.

The setting does have AI's, although they aren't quite as you might imagine. See the spoiler below (I will add it to the OP).

Stasis only works on humans, so your character would most likely have been stuck in a box instead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47