Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 47

Author Topic: Blind Fate - Turn 42 (Updated 2/24)  (Read 45558 times)

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Fate - Sci Fi Colonization/Survival/Exploration - Turn 0
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2015, 08:23:25 pm »

((Ok, trying to sort this out then.  Greenheart is the sector of the ship that we are from, of which 10 initial colonists founded, up to the 2000 of crash night.  There are 7 other sectors, with a total population of 1200 to reach the total 3200 colonists across all sectors on crash night quoted in the first page, yes?

You would think that most of the culture would have blended together with such a small initial group, even if they had a diverse background individually.  It seems strange to call some people grown on the ship skylanders or abyssal when all they've known was ship life.

I'm just trying to get a good grasp of things.  And maybe I'm not picturing the generation ship properly.  That stuff like building monuments happened on the ship?  I get it's a big ship, but city blocks and stuff?  I'm just confused.))

"Oh, wow.  I've never seen this place before.  Could it be?  Am I finally back where I belong?"
Look around for NPCs to give me a quest.  Try to open my menu screen.
"Depends.  Do you belong on Antila?  Cause that's where I'm guessing we are.  Or at least it seems like the right place...  I doubt we would be alive if it was the wrong planet, is what I'm saying."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:28:42 pm by Slayer1557 »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2015, 08:31:51 pm »

((Ok, trying to sort this out then.  Greenheart is the sector of the ship that we are from, of which 10 initial colonists founded, up to the 2000 of crash night.  There are 7 other sectors, with a total population of 1200 to reach the total 3200 colonists across all sectors on crash night quoted in the first page, yes?

You would think that most of the culture would have blended together with such a small initial group, even if they had a diverse background individually.  It seems strange to call some people grown on the ship skylanders or abyssal when all they've known was ship life.

I'm just trying to get a good grasp of things.  And maybe I'm not picturing the generation ship properly.  That stuff like building monuments happened on the ship?  I get it's a big ship, but city blocks and stuff?  I'm just confused.))

((Oh, it's not 3200 total on the ship, it would be >10000. That part slipped in past proofreading when I rewrote the section. Thanks for pointing it out!

The cultures did blend to an extent, but you have to remember that a lot of people are phased in and out of stasis. So you have a lot of people raised in the old cultural traditions mixing in with the new, finding themselves most like the "semiskylanders," then pushing it back toward "skyland" culture. There's also the literary bunch who want to revive old cultures.

Greenheart is a ring several kilometers in radius. There is plenty of room for cities in between expanses of "wilderness". Think Macross, but without antigravity.

And ship life is not all that different from living in undersea domes or self-contained skytowers.))
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:35:47 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2015, 09:19:59 pm »

((Yea, thanks  :D  It makes more sense with those population numbers.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Turn 1
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2015, 09:54:09 pm »

Mark Johns'son (Pencil_Art):
((I understand that you are from a different timezone, but sorry! I don't want to slow the game down for one player too much.))
Arthur Staunch (Megggas):
[2] You spot a short fellow popping up out of a box! The others seem to have spawned in the same way as you, so they are also players most likely. That leaves the short one by process of elimination...
You swing your arm upward to bring up the HUD but nothing happens. Must be a bug.
You walk over to him and try to ask if he is a questgiver... it comes out as a "BLEARRGH" as you vomit the contents of your lungs out onto the floodplain. Gasping, you suck the mask back on--narrowly avoiding a dangerous gulp of alien air.
Spoiler: Status,Traits,Invntory (click to show/hide)
Cueball (Paphi):
[1] Waypoints? Well there's two--the shuttle crash site and what looks to be a puddle slightly larger than the others, off in the distance (let's call this "north").
Now for the pods...
[2] Pod #1 is a bit of a pain to get open. As you lift the cover, you find that it was unoccupied. The covering glass flashes text at you: "NO PROGRAM"
[1] Pod #2 appears to have someone inside. You pull on the handle and... well, needless to say who you found inside does not look pretty. It is a man whose shoulder appears to be missing and bandaged over. His skin is wrinkled and black as death, and the oxy-gel in the pod is sky-blue rather than orange pastel.

Based on your knowledge of pod mechanics... this one must have lost power some time ago. The gel turns blue when it's deoxygenated, much like blood. If the pod were powered the gel would not have turned blue, even if the person inside were dead.
Nyar Donovon (WunderKatze):
[6] You scrounge around a bit. The surrounding floodplains don't seem to have any remarkable terrain or plantlife. Something tells you that this world is some kind of barren wasteland, populated only by extremophile microbes and eldritch space horrors. A fitting place to go down!

Inside the shuttle, you cut yourself on a sharp corner as you enter. Surprisingly, your blood doesn't boil off into the alien atmosphere. That's kind of disappointing.
There are scorch marks on the inside as well, along with pieces of broken glass, shredded benches, mangled bits of metal, and six spots where the pods used to be. The cargo bay door is missing from its hinges.
You find a rack of six drab, conformist orange-and-yellow uniforms with glass faceplates. You also find a medical locker that's unlocked--but it slammed into a wall, most likely, and so the cover is stuck on. It will take some force to pull off.
Before you look for anything else, you notice your jumpsuit's arm is already soaked in blood.

As for the pods, one's empty. The other... definitely resembles a crash site more closely. There is a dead man inside, black from necrosis.
Nole (Slayer1557):
[5] You check your pod. Nothing other than the jumpsuit and the oxygen cylinder. Then you look up.

Nyar's already injured himself on one of the sharp corners of the wreck. Inside the wreck there is a rack of suits, a closed medical locker, and a further compartment (in the direction of the pilot's seat) whose door seems to have been jammed in place. The shuttle really must have hit the ground hard. The pilot's canopy isn't shattered though, despite the rest of the vessel.

There are also scorch marks inside.
CAB-iN-Boy 1000 (DigitalDemon):
[3] Your hand parts, revealing a barrel and a small pair of needles with an arc running between them. Firing, you fill the entire box with quite a blaze, singing your outer layers and clothes!

On the other hand, the box became quite malleable. You stick your hand through the top, and pull yourself out into a barren floodplain, quite a far cry from the verdant fields of your home. The sky is violet and the stars are smothered out by dark clouds. It's quite ominous, in fact.

A man walks up to you and promptly vomits.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:00:41 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Fate - Sci Fi Colonization/Survival/Exploration - Turn 1
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2015, 10:35:14 pm »

((Heh, no worries. Didn't even see the first turn till I got back.))

Mark pulls himself out of his pod, on awakening, and notes the surroundings, before checking out the ship for anything interesting. He attempts to prize open the medical locker upon finding it in the ship.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:44:19 pm by Pencil_Art »

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2015, 11:46:28 pm »

Cabin-Boy gazes up at the stars, feeling content about his new home. When the man walks up to him and vomits, he proceeds to quickly clean up the vomit.
"Hello sir, are you quite alright? Your lunch is- well was- all over the ground. How did you find the flight? Where are the others? Oh boy oh boy, I can't wait to see the looks on their faces!"
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2015, 11:57:41 pm »

Nole grimaces when he sees that someone's already sliced their arm open, but leaves them be for the moment when a third comes in and starts to work on the medical cabinet.  "Do try to be careful.  We're working off of limited supplies for now, I would hate to run out of bandages or disinfectant for worse injuries."

Nole goes to grab one of the suits.  "I'm gonna suit up before our air runs out."  He tries to stay out of the rain and suit up.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2015, 01:17:01 am »

Nole goes to grab one of the suits.  "I'm gonna suit up before our air runs out."  He tries to stay out of the rain and suit up.

You slide your feet into the suit, which is made of a thick metallic silk, and it begins to zip itself shut. You put the helmet on, which boots up an HUD and immediately displays a warning about the atmospheric concentration:
DANGER: OUTSIDE ATMOSPHERE NOT SUITABLE FOR LONG TERM BREATHING
ATMOSPHERIC CONTENTS: 50 kPa OXYGEN. 123 kPa NITROGEN. 400 Pa CARBON DIOXIDE. 7 KPA WATER VAPOR. TOTAL 181 kPa.
TRACE PARTICULATES MAY CAUSE LUNG DAMAGE.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2015, 01:30:31 am »

I assume I can't use the oxygen mask in tandem with the helmet?  If the suit doesn't have it's own breathing systems: Use the oxygen mask for now to prevent any (further?) lung damage.  Investigate the jammed door closest to the cabin.  Try to pry open with hands, failing that, find crowbar or pieces of debris to use instead.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2015, 01:51:53 am »

I assume I can't use the oxygen mask in tandem with the helmet?  If the suit doesn't have it's own breathing systems: Use the oxygen mask for now to prevent any (further?) lung damage.  Investigate the jammed door closest to the cabin.  Try to pry open with hands, failing that, find crowbar or pieces of debris to use instead.

The suit has a breathing system dependent only on the suit's battery. They appear to be fully charged, and will last at least 48 hours without recharge.

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2015, 01:57:22 am »

Damn.

Shaking his head, Cueball joined the survivors at the wreck. "Figured it'd be more... dangerous. Huh," he croaked. He put on one of the uniforms, then he tried to get into the cockpit, knocking first, then trying a console, then helping Nole force it if necessary. If that worked, he'd send out an SOS, assuming one wasn't already broadcasting, while listening himself.

There's no life here, dingus, he reassured himself.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:19:52 am by Paphi »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turn 1
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2015, 05:37:17 am »

The gel turns blue when it's deoxygenated, much like blood.
What? Blood doesn't turn blue when it's deoxygenated. Who told you that? Blood just turns a darker red when it's deoxygenated. If that weren't the case, scabs would turn blue instead of brown.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turn 1
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2015, 12:20:04 pm »

The gel turns blue when it's deoxygenated, much like blood.
What? Blood doesn't turn blue when it's deoxygenated. Who told you that? Blood just turns a darker red when it's deoxygenated. If that weren't the case, scabs would turn blue instead of brown.

((Yes I know that. I was just going off of common knowledge. I understand that the common knowledge in itself is flawed.

Waiting on: Wunderkatze, Meggas))
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 12:22:21 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2015, 01:16:56 pm »

Cabin-Boy gazes up at the stars, feeling content about his new home. When the man walks up to him and vomits, he proceeds to quickly clean up the vomit.
"Hello sir, are you quite alright? Your lunch is- well was- all over the ground. How did you find the flight? Where are the others? Oh boy oh boy, I can't wait to see the looks on their faces!"

"Ugh.  What are you doing here little boy?  I thought this game had a minimum age requirement of 16.  What's going on..."

Attempt to understand what's going on right now.

(Sorry for the delay.  Been busy.)
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2015, 01:17:54 pm »

Ouch shit. Examines wounds with a sort of awe. Damn that's pretty gnarly.

"Well I think this here takes me off the 'able bodied' list, so have fun assholes."

Nyar yawns again and goes to take a look at the more unfortunate traveler. Now that is really wicked.

"Hey, anyone find it strange that inside of the ship is burnt, maybe they had some explosion or fire." ...and the cock pit isn't broken. It seem that more went wrong then just the crash itself.

Nyar waits for some one with with any medical experience to come patch him up. I guess this world has already gotten a piece of me.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 01:22:47 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 47