Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 47

Author Topic: Blind Fate - Turn 42 (Updated 2/24)  (Read 46187 times)

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Fate - Turn 40 (Updated 1/26)
« Reply #630 on: January 27, 2016, 01:19:39 pm »

Quote from: Radio
"Graves. Just found a couple pods growing... mold, or algae, maybe. Any clue if it may be toxic?"

"Keep an eye out, Nigel. I'll get the pods. Or, here, try and find something good. Two pods here, probably some other good stuff."

Give Nigel the detector and spade, then tow the pods out of the water. Isolate samples of the mold - did I ever grab vials? Inspect the corpse.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 27, 2016, 01:22:19 pm »

"Graves. Just found a couple pods growing... mold, or algae, maybe. Any clue if it may be toxic?"

"Keep an eye out, Nigel. I'll get the pods. Or, here, try and find something good. Two pods here, probably some other good stuff."

Give Nigel the detector and spade, then tow the pods out of the water. Isolate samples of the mold - did I ever grab vials? Inspect the corpse.
Nigel familarizes herself with the tech before following his directions.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 27, 2016, 04:05:20 pm »

[2] You forgot to bring any sort of analyzer, but you can bring mold samples inside a canteen or something. Just don't forget which one has the mold in it...

The corpse looks to be wearing a Latin uniform, black and olive drab. It stands out in this weather almost as badly as the red officer uniform Jean was wearing.
He appears to have been shot once, in addition to being savaged by carnivorous fish in the water. There are about twelve deep bite marks in his skill. [3] Given your limited coroner skills, you predict he died anywhere from a few hours to a few minutes ago.

Nigel familarizes herself with the tech before following his directions.

The metal detector is rather simplistic. It follows a time-tested ancient design, and is basically just a ring on a pole, with a battery-powered box at the end. It also seems to run silent, like a lot of new--[1] Oh. It's out of batteries. But the batteries are rechargeable, so if you have a power supply...

"Die, you shithead cocksucking motherfucker, you ass licking flithy fuck, you!"
Shootshootshoot

[1+2] You fire in the direction of the monster, and most of the shots hit due to its size. The creature cannot dodge, (2) and the bullets tear effortlessly into its skin.
The animal doesn't seem to be that harmed in terms of its capabilities. Hence it runs away at rather blinding speed. If it had charged you that fast directly you might have not made it.

The breathing continues in the distance. The suit simulates a putrid smell in your surroundings, the smell of... burnt flesh coming from one tunnel (tunnel A). There is also a much wider tunnel with lots of stalagmites and stalagtites, as well as a pool of water in the center (tunnel B), and a tunnel with a faint glimmer of light coming from it, weaning in and out of visibility (tunnel C).

[6+1] You find a flashlight at your feet. It's big and rather heavy, and the reflector is cracked, but it works.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:13:16 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 27, 2016, 04:52:34 pm »

Um..it's out of batteries.

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 27, 2016, 05:45:43 pm »

"Oh. Uh, let's see..."

Disconnect the turret battery and hook it up to the detector.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 27, 2016, 05:48:55 pm »

"Oh. Uh, let's see..."

Disconnect the turret battery and hook it up to the detector.
Make sure he dosent mess up.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 27, 2016, 06:06:07 pm »

"Does anyone know what this rope was for...?" Ciri asks, if anyone is around. Damn, she was drowsy. Stasis didn't agree with her very well, it seemed.

Graves is still here. He was talking to the French, apparently about the wildlife here. He doesn't seem to know, but suggests that we not waste rope feeding it to sand monsters like the ones here.

There's plants on this world, he says, but he doesn't seem to be sure if they are edible. A chemical processing solution seems to be needed to break down local proteins into amino acids. Some kind of enzyme that can only be found/synthesized here from wildlife, according to him.

((On a phone, sorry for lack of colored text))
Ciri attempts to bring the rope back up, then.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 28, 2016, 01:57:05 pm »

Grab the light, reload, and head towards tunnel A.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 28, 2016, 03:09:20 pm »

2035 GREENHEART TIME, MAY 21st, 301 P.L
ERROR: FAILED TO CONNECT TO INTERNET TIME SERVER.

Ciri (Twinwolf):

[Strength: 6] You pull the rope out of the tunnel and consolidate it into a neat bundle, putting it back in the shuttle where it is unlikely to be misplaced again.

"That bum is missing again. Have you seen him take off anywhere? The McGroove guy?"

Base Status

Cargo Sled: Requires about 4 units of metal plating.
Jail: Requires some kind of lock, and 1 unit of metal plating per side.
Upgrade a Vehicle: You can give +1 armor on one side of either vehicle by replacing a Metal Plating from the vehicle with a Hull Plating from the destroyed shuttle.

The shuttle can be salvaged for: 4 Hull Plating from the cockpit, 8 Hull Plating from the body (can trim 2 more)
The Armored car can be salvaged for: 6 Metal Plating, 4 Hull Plating
The Assault Gun can be salvaged for: 8 Metal Plating, 4 Hull Plating

The Thermal Lance can be used to cut metal plating and hull plating
You find one welding/cutting kit in the Assault Gun

You have 0 Hull Plating
You have 0 Metal Plating

You have a cargo sled which can easily transport cargo by hand

Nole (Slayer1557):

Nole replied, "Yea, I'm not sure I could understand without actually experiencing it.  I'll just have to take your word on it.  Will you be ok without access to the portals?  I'm not sure we'll be getting anything like that working any time soon."

When they discover the scorched crater he added, "Alright, let's check it out and see if there's any survivors.  From the looks of things, I wouldn't be certain of anything.  Be careful in case they're hostile.  If we can't pick up on Mark's signal, we should probably turn back after this.  I don't want to get so far we get lost.  Do you agree?"

Nole approaches the crater, keeping an eye out for movement from the wreck or the surrounding area.  Does the wreck look recent?  Things still burning?  Check for survivors first.  No survivors?  Take stock of what remains and what is in working order.
((Oh, and how far have we travelled from the shuttle, in either time or distance?  With how post by post RTD's go, I'm never sure if it's minutes or hours.  Possibly useful: How long has it been since we woke up, and I set that timer?))

You've been walking for no less than 20 minutes, so you're roughly between one and two kilometers away from the base. The radio connection is still crystal-clear.

As you approach the crater, Night comments on the virtual world:
"I wouldn't discount the possibility of bringing it back. Especially if we come into contact with... uh... the...colony ship ghost? I wonder where she is."
She doesn't seem even slightly shocked by the sight of bodies near the tank.

[Search: 5, new miniquest] You investigate the exploded vehicle, noting that the fuel tank seems to have been the cause of the explosion. The fire is not smoking, although your suit's olfactory sensors simulate the smell of burnt metal and flesh with a stunning resemblance to the real thing.
It seems most of the dead people crawled around a bit before their deaths. One of them seems to have died from a gunshot wound to the temple, but the gun is nowhere to be found. In fact, all of them seem to be missing their pistols.
You notice an unburnt white bandage soaked in the sand next to one of the bodies.

They are all wearing what used to be army uniforms except the fully-blackened one... who is actually in a Magnus Suit! It seems to be offline (radio turned off), but the material looks completely unharmed.
You haven't touched any of the bodies yet, because all of them are stripped clean of equipment.

You have 10 red fish, 1 cooked
You have 6 green fish, 0.8 cooked
You have .9 cooked sand slug

Nigel J. William  (AbstractTraitorHero):

[Assistant: 6] Cueball was just about about to electrocute himself! You pull his arm away, which prompts him to reconsider his entire paradigm of electrical engineering.

(Gives Cueball +2)

Weather: Cloudy (No bonuses or penalties to stealth)

Spoiler: Status,Traits,Invntory (click to show/hide)

Cueball (Paphi):

[Electronics: 2 +1 +2] Nigel seems to have been under the impression that you could electrocute yourself with DC at 24 volts. Still, if it weren't for her, you would have connected the batteries absent-mindedly. But the metaldetector batteries are much lower voltage than the turret battery.

You decide to step down the voltage by half using two light bulbs as resistors. The battery charges the other batteries afterward and the metal detector now works.

Spoiler: Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Renouille A41 Cruise Gun
Current Armor: +3 (Armored with Hull Plating)
Has a powerful drivetrain (evasion penalties due to armor are halved)
Current weapon: Turretless 76mm G3 Weapon (Accuracy: 4far/3mid/1close)
Ammunition:
10x High Explosive (Power: 3) (Can hit multiple infantry)
22x High Velocity (Power: 4)

Assault Gun Projects:
Advanced radio: Replace the ancient radio design with a modern transmitter (requires electronic parts)
Layered Armor: A piece of extra metal plating gives +1 defense to one side of the vehicle (front, back, either side). Hull plating adds +2. Both subtract -1 Evasion from the vehicle.
Alloy Armor: You can give +1 armor on one side of either vehicle by replacing a Metal Plating from the vehicle with a Hull Plating from the destroyed shuttle.
Improved Steering: Adds +1 Evasion to the vehicle, can fire while moving
Turret: Allows the vehicle to rotate its gun more than a few degrees. (requires a full redesign)

S. D. "Smooth" McGroove (SaberToothTiger):

Grab the light, reload, and head towards tunnel A.

[Observation: 5, new miniquest] You notice the rope going back up the wall behind you. It gets pulled out of your reach before you can grab it.

Your weapon is loaded. [Observation: 4] You enter the dark, smelly tunnel. At the end you discover a dim campfire on top of a pile of rocks, with oxygel making up the fuel. Cooking a piece of meat over it is a Colonist wearing a Magnus suit like the one the ones above-ground were wearing.

You faintly see the outline of a crumpled shuttle buried in the mud. This part of the cave is extremely wet, so the shuttle seems to have sunk into the ground a little bit. You also see a light coming from the ceiling about a hundred meters away. This cavern is huge, or at least long!

Nyar Donovon (WunderKatze):

[Explore: 6] You notice a terraced pyramid made of marble and covered in statues, located on the opposite side of the river, on a patch of sand located in an alcove on the rockwall. A floating log bridge, a few meters wide but rather unstable in the rapids, spans the entire length of the river leading to it.

You guess the pyramid is about 15 meters tall.

Armored Car
Current Armor: +3 (Armored with Hull Plating)
Current weapon: 60mm Mark III Gun (Accuracy: 4close/3mid/2far)
Ammunition:
4x High Explosive (Power: 3) (Can hit multiple infantry)
6x High Velocity (Power: 4)
2x HEAT (Power: 5)

What Ciri found:
1x thermal lance (use for cutting through metal and drilling holes)
1x genetic sampler (use on wildlife to sequence their genes and compare them)
1x broken handheld microscope (casing is cracked, lenses are fine)
3x climbing gear (contains rapelling kit and insertable spikes)
1x handheld power saw (battery-powered cutting tool)
1x double battery charger
2x all purpose spade

What was taken from the Assault Gun:
>about thirty sandwiches
>6x binoculars
>6x knives
>soap
>water/drinks
>umbrellas
>wood planks
>lighters
>oil lamp
>adult magazines
>6x Revolvers

What was stockpiled beforehand:
>A fire extinguisher still inside its glass box, with a small window hammer buried in the sand nearby
>An advanced atmospheric analyzer capable of testing for particulates and biochemicals as well as gaseous composition
>A micro chainsaw meant for cutting fibers and soft materials like wood, bone, and cloth
>Three small spades with extensible handles, labelled 00, 01, and 07 respectively

>Parts from a Magnus hazardsuit dissected for parts (minus breathing kit, held by S.D.)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:18:59 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 28, 2016, 03:17:53 pm »

Nigel smiles with a relieved sigh n.
You almost electrocuted yourself there good I was here.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 28, 2016, 04:24:41 pm »

Aim the gun at the back of his head.

"The gun that is aimed at the back of your head is packing AET ammunition which make whatever negligible protective properties of the suit a joke. AET ammunition has also one other interesting property; when fired into a head of an unfortunate colonist his brains turns into mush.  If you answer wrong, the supersonic projectile will kill you instantly. Consider those facts quietly and then answer me this question carefully."

*dramatic pause*

"What's for dinner?"
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 28, 2016, 09:55:02 pm »

((I have no excuse that wouldn't be whining, so I won't use one.  I'll try to be better about posting))

At the sight of all the death, Nole closes his eyes briefly and whispers a short prayer, just wishing that they all were in a better place.  "What happened here?  Was the colonist, uhh, is it Mark?  Lemme check."  He gets a closer look at the body in the Magnus suit to see if it's Mark or someone unknown.  "Anyway, they might have gotten captured, or was going to be and shot the fuel tank as a last ditch effort."

He walks around a bit and examines the scene, trying to work out the details.  "You know what bugs me?"  He picks up the scrap of bandage.  "This bandage.  Why isn't it burned like most everything else here?  Was there another group that attacked?  Or a second vehicle that wasn't destroyed and they left?  But I can't imagine they would leave the Magnus suit or their dead.  Let's get this body out of the suit for now."

Nole removes the body from the Magnus suit and examines it's injuries.  He checks the layout of the bodies.  Were they just crawling away from the wreck?  Or perhaps a more unusual direction?  What about the person who was shot?  Does it look like they were crawling when they were shot, or standing?  Does the suit have any data that Nole can download and reexamine?  Are the army uniforms similar to the Frenchies he met before?  Or another faction?

At some point he get's Cueball's message and replies. 
Quote from: To Cueball
"Yea, I found a destroyed tank.  It seems somewhat recent.  I'm trying to figure out the situation now, there's quite a few bodies and... one of ours.  I can bring the suit back, but there might be something you could salvage off of the tank, scrap if nothing else.  The fuel tank exploded, it seems.  I'm not too far from where the rain stops.  It just kind of... stops.  I'll keep you updated if anything important comes up."

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 29, 2016, 02:03:41 am »

Nyar taking a good look at his discovery, smiles again for the first time in a while. Finally. Gawd I hope this isn't some reserve or museum.

I wish I had some rope... After momentary hesitation. What the hell, I'm not a pussy.

Cross sketchy bridge into pyramid area and into full tactical assault mode against any encountered creatures.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:05:31 am by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 29, 2016, 03:14:42 am »

Nyar taking a good look at his discovery, smiles again for the first time in a while. Finally. Gawd I hope this isn't some reserve or museum.

I wish I had some rope... After momentary hesitation. What the hell, I'm not a pussy.

Cross sketchy bridge into pyramid area and into full tactical assault mode against any encountered creatures.

[3] The sketchiness of the bridge does not outweigh the value of exploring this strange yet wonderful world. You take a set forward.
It immediately shudders under your weight and knocks you to your belly.

But! Still determined, you crawl on. With a much-lowered center of gravity, you cross to the other side in just under half an hour, with no harm done to the bridge.

The pyramid mostly defies any sort of explanation. It is a marble statue made up of meter-high terraces. On each level there are statues upon statues of creatures sculpted so lifelike they look almost petrified... On the bottom rung there aquatic beings, namely the purple fish, as well as many other varieties of fish, ones with fanlike mouths, tiny ones with small jaws for chopping small plantlife, those sorts of things. There is also a fish that looks rather similar to a piranha.

...The second rung of the terraced pyramid holds the flying fishes, as well as the sand mantas and a petrified flock of birds on thin stone pillars.

...The third rung of the pyramid hosts many Earthlike critters, including deer, bears, rabbits, and some sort of walking dolphin.

...The top of the pyramid holds... humans. About eighty in total. Their style of dress ranges from vaguely victorian, to medieval, to information-era.

Aim the gun at the back of his head.

"The gun that is aimed at the back of your head is packing AET ammunition which make whatever negligible protective properties of the suit a joke. AET ammunition has also one other interesting property; when fired into a head of an unfortunate colonist his brains turns into mush.  If you answer wrong, the supersonic projectile will kill you instantly. Consider those facts quietly and then answer me this question carefully."

*dramatic pause*

"What's for dinner?"

Colonist: ...Wha? Waaaaugh!
He raises his hands.

Colonist: I... I don't think you should... uh... it's from that snake over there!
With one finger, he points to a snake corpse hung neatly between two shovels stuck into the ground, its body threaded through the handles. There is a huge gash in its stomach.

Nole removes the body from the Magnus suit and examines it's injuries.  He checks the layout of the bodies.  Were they just crawling away from the wreck?  Or perhaps a more unusual direction?  What about the person who was shot?  Does it look like they were crawling when they were shot, or standing?  Does the suit have any data that Nole can download and reexamine?  Are the army uniforms similar to the Frenchies he met before?  Or another faction?

The uniforms have a vaguely camo pattern to them. They look like soldiers, not like the Frenchmen at all, whose outward appearances begat a sense of being some kind of crew, not meant for combat. Two of the bodies are oriented away from the tank, and one of these is not wearing a uniform like the others, but is still charred and burnt nonetheless. The next two are pointed toward nothing at all in particular, and seem to be more crippled rather than having crawled. The fifth body, the one with the gunshot to the temple, is on its back, feet pointed in the direction of the Magnus corpse. The Magnus corpse is parallel with the tank. You investigate the suit.

[6] The body isn't in the suit! Curious, you boot up the computer. It appears on your HUD:
Mark Johns'son - 1m

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 29, 2016, 08:47:47 am »

"Thankee. Now bugger off."

If doesn't run, shoot 'im in the head.

If he does, search the camp for useful or valuable stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 47