Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47

Author Topic: Blind Fate - Turn 42 (Updated 2/24)  (Read 45536 times)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Fate - Turn 40 (Updated 1/26)
« Reply #660 on: February 06, 2016, 02:11:33 pm »

Meh. Go further.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Fate - Turn 40 (Updated 1/26)
« Reply #661 on: February 08, 2016, 04:10:50 am »

Just gonna repost all the most up-to-date actions here.

((Are the tracks leading towards or away from the tank?  Or am I being a dingus and they're literally MY tracks >.>))

"Oh, that's a good point, Night.  Some stuff might have survived the blast inside, even if the people didn't."  He searches the wreckage of the tank carefully, since it could still be dangerous.

"I didn't have a very high opinion of him, from what little I DID know of him, it's quite possible he was just a dingus and caused this.  But I'm not so sure.  I'd like to think he wouldn't have done this without good reason."

The tracks lead toward.

[6] It isn't pretty. There was no visible penetration in the armor, and there is no sign of damage by an impact. Instead, it seems that the vehicle caught fire in its engine bloc, and the inside was cooked. There's no blood on the inside. There didn't seem to be anything on fire directly inside the tank, but the tank itself is covered in charred streaks. Perhaps the fuel tank exploded and sprayed burning fuel all over the exterior.
There is a blackened spot on the radiators, as if something especially hot was at that place.

There are some bullet impacts on the interior cabin wall. You find a box containing three rather greasy submachine guns, and there's a hole in the box where one of the barrels led.
"Huh, it must have misfired. Hey, I'm going to take one of these, is that okay?" says Night as she picks up one of the fully-automatic destruction tools.
Nigel goes back to base with their companion

((I'd swear I'd posted, sorry))

"Alright, that'll probably do it. Let's head out."

If both pods are chained to the car, go back to base with Nigel.

[6] You both drive back, hauling the pods over the ground. However, the pods were chained in such a way that there was a lot of friction with the ground, apparently, because one of the chains snaps and you leave it behind a few meters. That was strange.

Outside the vehicle there is a crater. There's a little bit of smoke coming from the center, although there's no remnants of the original crashed object to be seen.

So what, Is this place trying to tell me that the final stage of evolution is centipede people?

((Is the probe like the one Nyar saw earlier?))

Antila and Thule huh?

Tap on the statue. Then climb up the cliff side to get a look around.

[6] The statue tips 20 degrees. You idiot.

[3] Climbing the rock wall is tough, but it's not overhanging in this area so climbing it is certainly possible. With aching legs and fingertips bruised on the inside of your gloves, you make it to the top after some time.

And some time it was. You've climbed up above the clouds. Something tells you that your body should have given out by now, but you don't feel winded. And then you realize that your hazardsuit hasn't been regulating the oxygen amount in the air you breath, only filtering dust.
...That means you've been breathing a high-oxygen mixture this whole time. That seems to have had ramifications on your physical ability.

You reach the summit of a small mountain, above the violet clouds. You see up into space, into a purple sky mixed with haze. Only the brightest stars can be seen, but those than can be seen take on a ruby red color. It would be romantic for someone more emotional than you are.

In the distance you see clouds covering the floodplain and the regions around, as well as grand arches of rock spanning over the clouded valley. There are actually two cloud layers, for that matter, but the second one has holes through which you can see into it. You spot a gray tower, mostly obscured by an inconveniently-placed cloud, but the fact that it's a large structure is obvious enough. It looks to be several kilometers away, and at least a kilometers tall.

I should probably... not check that out without backup.

Ciri messages everyone, reporting the noise, and tries to find a weapon- or at least something that could be used as a weapon- just in case.

"Oh, you want a weapon? Here, take this one--"
He hands you an ornate revolver as well as ammo for it. The weapon uses a .308 caliber and holds seven rounds in the cylinder. The construction is fairly solid, but the Fleur-de-lis on the hammer suggests it was built by the French. The local French. Not the historical ones. Why are their genes different, but their (historical) culture the same, anyway?

Meh. Go further.

There are footsteps in the sand. Lots of them. They seem to lead both toward and away from the light on the ceiling on the far side.
There's also fungus growing on the wall. Rather big fungus. It's almost like you could use it as a hammock.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:13:19 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Fate - Turn 40 (Updated 2/8)
« Reply #662 on: February 08, 2016, 08:34:09 am »

((Quick question: Would Ciri have been given a course in gun safety or not? Or at least have an idea of how it works? I don't want to metagame when there would be no reasonable explanation for her knowing how to use a gun beyond 'point, shoot'))
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 08, 2016, 01:39:33 pm »

((Quick question: Would Ciri have been given a course in gun safety or not? Or at least have an idea of how it works? I don't want to metagame when there would be no reasonable explanation for her knowing how to use a gun beyond 'point, shoot'))

((Good question. There'd be no need to use guns onboard the ship unless you Ciri were a part of the police. But games and stuff still existed. Even if VR didn't fully take off, basic technologies like Oculus Rift and stuff were there. So it depends on how she spent her free time.

It's very unlikely she'd take an actual course, though. Ammunition was rare and hard to produce with the limited ecosystem available on the ship, so all guns were state-owned.))

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 08, 2016, 01:41:25 pm »

((Videogames might help teach her to aim, but I don't think there are any games that teach gun safety  :P ))
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 08, 2016, 01:43:31 pm »

((Well, maybe there's detailed reload animations and an animation of flipping the safety on. Who knows.

There's also TV shows and the like where characters might handle guns realistically. Though most shows wouldn't, there might be some sort of devoted fanbase around gun culture even though there weren't enough guns to actually use them for recreation. Maybe airsofting or somesuch.))

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 08, 2016, 01:49:30 pm »

Ciri cautiously holds the gun away from herself, pointed at the ground- she might not know gun safety, but it's common sense to not point dangerous weapons at people. "So... the noise? I thought it'd probably not be smart to go check it out alone."
Sigtext!

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 08, 2016, 03:25:07 pm »

Ciri cautiously holds the gun away from herself, pointed at the ground- she might not know gun safety, but it's common sense to not point dangerous weapons at people. "So... the noise? I thought it'd probably not be smart to go check it out alone."
"Oh," he seems surprised. "You've never held one before? Must be from before the portals..."
He glances toward the hole.
"I have a pressing feeling... that we may have cut off S.D.'s only escape route. Let's get the rope." He goes into the shuttle...

The bottom of the cavern is dank and muddy. You're wearing a suit designed for it, but Graves might have trouble if he falls down and gets soaked. Hypothermia is a thing.
There are three passages, one with the smell of burnt flesh emanating from it, one with a pool of water in the center and the sound of flowing water, and one with a flickering light coming from it.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 08, 2016, 04:58:57 pm »

Hide and see whether am I followed.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 12, 2016, 08:01:11 pm »

That's more like it. Advance on the tower.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 12, 2016, 08:08:09 pm »

It's a bit far away. A ride would be helpful, but not required.

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 13, 2016, 12:25:23 am »

Inspect the crater. Look around with the metal detector if it seems safe.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 13, 2016, 03:30:22 am »

2100 GREENHEART TIME, MAY 21st, 301 P.L
ERROR: FAILED TO CONNECT TO INTERNET TIME SERVER.

Ciri (Twinwolf):

"So, the wet one can wait until there's someone else with a suit- don't want you getting sick or something- so, burning smell or light?"

"Oh, I got no problem with that," says Graves, shivering in the cool cave air.
"But yeah, that light seems suspicious. We should move in. The other shuttle said they had a spotlight."

Graves walks forward.

[6] Suddenly, French shouting. Graves rushes back.

"...they also said they got ambushed by the French! We need to get away, there's like twelve of them!"

Renouille A41 Cruise Gun
Current Armor: +3 (Armored with Hull Plating)
Has a powerful drivetrain (evasion penalties due to armor are halved)
Current weapon: Turretless 76mm G3 Weapon (Accuracy: 4far/3mid/1close)
Ammunition:
10x High Explosive (Power: 3) (Can hit multiple infantry)
22x High Velocity (Power: 4)

Assault Gun Projects:
Advanced radio: Replace the ancient radio design with a modern transmitter (requires electronic parts)
Layered Armor: A piece of extra metal plating gives +1 defense to one side of the vehicle (front, back, either side). Hull plating adds +2. Both subtract -1 Evasion from the vehicle.
Alloy Armor: You can give +1 armor on one side of either vehicle by replacing a Metal Plating from the vehicle with a Hull Plating from the destroyed shuttle.
Improved Steering: Adds +1 Evasion to the vehicle, can fire while moving
Turret: Allows the vehicle to rotate its gun more than a few degrees. (requires a full redesign)

Base Status

Cargo Sled: Requires about 4 units of metal plating.
Jail: Requires some kind of lock, and 1 unit of metal plating per side.
Upgrade a Vehicle: You can give +1 armor on one side of either vehicle by replacing a Metal Plating from the vehicle with a Hull Plating from the destroyed shuttle.

The shuttle can be salvaged for: 4 Hull Plating from the cockpit, 8 Hull Plating from the body (can trim 2 more)
The Armored car can be salvaged for: 6 Metal Plating, 4 Hull Plating
The Assault Gun can be salvaged for: 8 Metal Plating, 4 Hull Plating

The Thermal Lance can be used to cut metal plating and hull plating
You find one welding/cutting kit in the Assault Gun

You have 0 Hull Plating
You have 0 Metal Plating

You have a cargo sled which can easily transport cargo by hand

Nole (Slayer1557):

"You don't have to ask me if you want one.  With the situation as crazy as it is, I don't blame you in the least.  Just be careful with it.  If one misfired before, I have my doubts about their reliability."  He takes the remaining gun that didn't seem to misfire and splits any salvagable ammo with Night.  (There is ammo, right?)

"Best I can tell the misfire set off the fuel tank.  But I'm not sure about this mark on the radiator.  Some kind of incendiary round maybe?  They didn't die in here, so they must have already been stopped.  Maybe they had time to get out or were out in the first place, although that was a really unfortunate misfire if that's the case.  I can't but help feel Mark still had a part in all of this.  Oh well.  Let's get out of here.  We're just going to have to assume Mark's dead or missing.  Without the suit to track him even if he is alive it's pretty hopeless."

If there is more than a few bullets, he will load just one bullet and test fires it outside the tank, away into some dirt.  Just to verify the gun is working halfway decent.

"Gunpowder ignites when heated. You can't really hold it against the poor thing."
He takes one out of the weapon box and holds it under her arm.

"But the fuel tanks are outside, and the inside is armored. What I think..."
She rips a rag off of a dead soldier's uniform, sticking one of her boots up against the body to help her pull. Then, she takes out her oxygen tank.
"Is that someone made a weapon like this. You put a rag inside a bottle of oil on something, then you light it and throw it. If it breaks on top of the tank, it'll set fire to the engine and force the crew to get out."

She looks up outside.

"Those people inside though, they all died of heat except the guy who killed himself. That means..."
She holds up a finger.
"Mark must have come across them already dead! If he was trying to kill them, he would have brutalized them to death instead of letting them crawl around, wouldn't he? That means someone else did it."

"And that explains the bandage! He tried to help them! Maybe he got chased off or something. Maybe by those French dudes."

The gun fires as you'd expect it. Its rather loud, though, even wearing your suit it hurts your ears.

You have 10 red fish, 1 cooked
You have 6 green fish, 0.8 cooked
You have .9 cooked sand slug

Nigel J. William  (AbstractTraitorHero):

Make sure if i go flying out to curl up like a banana it shoukd greatly decrease injury also brace and keep steady try to use that cord thing i have as an improvised seatbelt.
((The curl up like a banana thing is actually a real life thing and helps decrease injury to the body from falls and ussaly stops injury all together))

((Cord thing?))

[6] You already have a seatbelt, but it doesn't seem to come loose anymore after that projectile came flying through the vehicle and punched through.

You saw a muzzle flash through the size viewport, which is perfectly angled for someone your height to get a decent veiw of your vehicle's side. Really, the chance of this happening was small, but it works.

There seems to be an enemy vehicle shooting at you.

Weather: Cloudy (No bonuses or penalties to stealth)

Spoiler: Status,Traits,Invntory (click to show/hide)

Cueball (Paphi):

There's small pieces of metal lying around, pieces of debris and shrapnel, accompanied by a smell much like scorched metal.

[Observe: 4] You hear an explosion in the distance, coming from the opposite side of the armored car.
(6)[1] The Armored car shakes, and [5+3] some kind of shrapnel comes out the other side. A new crater forms a few hundred meters beyond the armored car, past yourself.

Armored Car
Current Armor: +3 (Armored with Hull Plating)
Current weapon: 60mm Mark III Gun (Accuracy: 4close/3mid/2far)
Ammunition:
4x High Explosive (Power: 3) (Can hit multiple infantry)
6x High Velocity (Power: 4)
2x HEAT (Power: 5)

S. D. "Smooth" McGroove (SaberToothTiger):

Hide and see whether am I followed.

Nope, nobody follows you. But you do hear some faint shouting from one dark passage to your left. You didn't see it before, but it's there. It sounds French.

Nyar Donovon (WunderKatze):

[4] You hike toward the great ancient tower, noting that these highlands above the desert have convenient archways you can cross without re-entering the clouds below. Huge, sprawling landmasses formed much like fungal caps reach over parts of the floodplain, casting shadows which block the rain from above. Speaking of which, it's still raining.
After some time, you start getting hungry. You have some fish and an oxygen mask, and you notice that the oxygen mask itself actually has some oxygel inside.

Above the floodplains, you see huge schools of the flying red fish, as well as larger, rarer swarms of predatory birds which occasionally chase the redfish swarms about.

But most promisingly, you find plantlife. The archways hold creeping vines which trail off the edge of the tower and spread black leaves, apparently doing what trees do to catch more light but without physically growing a trunk.
It may be poisonous, but there are berries along the vines, which seem rather meaty and smell like meat. The redfish sometimes graze through the vines below the arches, sweeping up berries as they go.

What Ciri found:
1x thermal lance (use for cutting through metal and drilling holes)
1x genetic sampler (use on wildlife to sequence their genes and compare them)
1x broken handheld microscope (casing is cracked, lenses are fine)
3x climbing gear (contains rapelling kit and insertable spikes)
1x handheld power saw (battery-powered cutting tool)
1x double battery charger
2x all purpose spade

What was taken from the Assault Gun:
>about thirty sandwiches
>6x binoculars
>6x knives
>soap
>water/drinks
>umbrellas
>wood planks
>lighters
>oil lamp
>adult magazines
>6x Revolvers

What was stockpiled beforehand:
>A fire extinguisher still inside its glass box, with a small window hammer buried in the sand nearby
>An advanced atmospheric analyzer capable of testing for particulates and biochemicals as well as gaseous composition
>A micro chainsaw meant for cutting fibers and soft materials like wood, bone, and cloth
>Three small spades with extensible handles, labelled 00, 01, and 07 respectively

>Parts from a Magnus hazardsuit dissected for parts (minus breathing kit, held by S.D.)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:34:23 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 13, 2016, 03:58:04 am »

Make sure if i go flying out to curl up like a banana it shoukd greatly decrease injury also brace and keep steady try to use that cord thing i have as an improvised seatbelt.
((The curl up like a banana thing is actually a real life thing and helps decrease injury to the body from falls and ussaly stops injury all together))
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 13, 2016, 08:41:22 am »

"So, the wet one can wait until there's someone else with a suit- don't want you getting sick or something- so, burning smell or light?"
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47