Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Roll to take the best vacation in the universe: episode 8: Tourism  (Read 14392 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to take the best vacation in the universe: episode 2
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2015, 09:42:54 am »

Oh. I don't know. This sounds weird. Maybe I should just go home. I don't really want to have things stuck in my, er, body.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2015, 10:10:08 am »

Oh. I don't know. This sounds weird. Maybe I should just go home. I don't really want to have things stuck in my, er, body.
"The new line of life pods are completely non-invasive, though. Only two small needles!" She clears her throat "Also, if you go home without taking at least one of the travel offers, you will be held accountable for the cancellation fees of the plane, which come to about five thousand dollars. Each."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2015, 12:16:39 pm »

Oh. Just two small needles? I ... I guess that will be alright. I could really use the vacation, and Europe sounds nice. I hope some of what is learned here will go to helping the ill, though, not just astronauts. I ... I guess I'm ready.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2015, 02:59:10 pm »

"Fine. I'll take the pods."
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2015, 03:28:30 pm »

Lucy was conflicted.
On the one hand, she didn't really approve of the life pod technology or the countless nasty possibilities opened up by its advancement, but on the other hand... well, what sort of soul-searching, spiritual experience took place in a slum?

After a moment's reflection she supposed a humanitarian trip, helping the poor and wretched souls who lived in such places and seeing their grubby dignity, camaraderie and inner strength could be quite a spiritual experience, but... for all her talk, Lucy wasn't really much of a 'humanitarian'.
She was already looking forward to relaxing amongst the vineyards and cobbled streets of France, sipping wine and reading poetry, far from her stressful studies, mounting debt and desperation.

Her decision was made.
"Sure, I guess it doesn't sound too bad. Sign me up."

Sign any relevant forms and agree to take part in the study.
Try to ignore the shadiness of the research- I need to treat myself sometimes, after all.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2015, 05:27:38 pm »

-Episode 3: jetlag-

Tuesday, May 2025

All members of the group agree to take the survey, with varying degrees of reluctance.

"Great! Just follow me to the bus and we'll get you all podded up and ready for Paris!"

The five of you follow her outside and get in the bus bearing the Safe.Co logo. During the trip you're giving more documents to sign, some about legal stuff and a whole bunch about medication you might be taking or allergies you may or may not have. The rain has let up, and the sun is shining bright. The bus stops in front of a Safe.Co research building.

You are lead inside, each to a seperate changing room. In said room you change into a hospital gown, leaving your clothes and belongings in a large sports bag to be delivered to Paris. A nurse comes and asks you to follow her to the pod room, one person at a time. At the pod room, the nurse tells you to take your time to undress and step into the pod. She says not to worry, the entire process from there on in is automated and a team is monitoring the pods in an adjacent room. When she's gone, you take off the gown and stand in front of the pod. These aren't the ones you usually see in hospitals. Gone is the sleek white plastic exterior, replaced with a very sturdy and utilitarian looking metal. As you stand in front of it, the pod front gives a hiss as the seals unlock and the panel opens upwards. You step inside.

The automatic braces grab hold of your arms, legs and waist to keep you in place. The braces are rock solid, but don't feel uncomfortable. You feel two small pricks, one in your right arm and one in your neck. Slowly, as you fall asleep, the pod fills with a liquid.

Thursday, May 2025; Paris

In an underground room with five pods, two lab technicians are taking the final readings.

"Right, that does it I think. Do we initiate the wake-up program?"
"Can't yet, we'll have to wait until tomorrow."
"What's up with that, didn't we promise these people a vacation?"
"Yeah, but the doctor on duty couldn't make it in today. Acute appendicitis. So we've got no-one to check them after they wake up, and the lawyers say that's a big no-no."
"Damn. Well, at least they're asleep, so it won't really matter to them I suppose. I'll just leave these shirts and shorts over here for the guys tomorrow then?"
"Yeah, should be fine. Wanna go grab some drinks?"
"Yeah man, I'm starving. Let's go to that kebab joint around the corner."

Thursday, May 2025; Paris. Around Midnight

Unbeknownst to the sleeping people in the five pods, the earth rumbles. Some dust falls from the ceiling as the entire complex shudders. The lights on the pods go out for a second as the entire facility loses power, and flicker back on.

/ERROR/
/SEQUENCE INTERRUPTED/
/REBOOTING.../
/NO DATA FOUND/
/SEARCHING FOR BACKUP DATA/
/ERROR:NO BACKUP FOUND/
/INITIALIZING FALLBACK PROGRAM/
/PLEASE ENTER WAKE-UP DATE/

Date unknown; Paris

The small screens of the pods flicker red.

/ERROR/
/SEVERE POWER FLUCTUATIONS DETECTED/
/LIFE SUSTAINMENT PROTOCOLS CANNOT BE GUARANTEED/
/INITIALIZING EMERGENCY EJECTION/

The five pods hiss open in unison, their occupants falling out on the floor, covered and surrounded in greenish goo.

The room you find yourselves in has only the five pods and a small bench with five pairs of slippers, shirts and shorts. On the left of the pods is a door leading to the hallway. A female voice speaks over the intercom.

"Please remain calm. We had to eject you from the pods due to some power fluctuations. Do not rush. Please use the clothes provided and then head for the main desk to pick up your documents and luggage. If you have any questions you may speak them aloud, I will answer through the intercom"

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to take the best vacation in the universe: episode 3: it begins
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2015, 05:54:04 pm »

Alexander blinks, shudders, and starts fastidiously wiping the goo off himself.

Ugh. Where are we? What happened? Oh God, you gave us a disease! That's why no one is here to talk to us in person, isn't it? You've killed us! Ohgodohgodohgodohgod.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2015, 11:30:58 pm »

Alexander Jeremiah isn't paying attention. He's too busy trying to use the inspiration of the moment to think of some lyrics.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 05:00:05 pm by Tomasque »
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2015, 12:24:10 am »

Alexander isn't paying attention. He's too busy trying to use the inspiration of the moment to think of some lyrics.
Jeremiah is suffering an identity crisis.

Normality

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats an Avatar?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2015, 02:11:54 am »

"What the hell is going on here? How do you expect us to stay calm?" Leroy shouts wiping the goo of him.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2015, 06:23:41 am »

Alexander blinks, shudders, and starts fastidiously wiping the goo off himself.

Ugh. Where are we? What happened? Oh God, you gave us a disease! That's why no one is here to talk to us in person, isn't it? You've killed us! Ohgodohgodohgodohgod.
"please remain calm. There is no disease. There is no one there in person because there are no other employees currently in this facility. Don't panic, everything will be fine."

"What the hell is going on here? How do you expect us to stay calm?" Leroy shouts wiping the goo of him.
"You were ejected from your pods because sudden power fluctuation made it impossible to guarantee the proper functioning of the life sustainment protocols. I did not actually expect you to stay calm, but asking you to do so couldn't hurt."

Alexander isn't paying attention. He's too busy trying to use the inspiration of the moment to think of some lyrics.
Do note that your friendly narrator is not your muse. If you want lyics that are worth a damn you'll have to write them down yourself. For now:

Green goo, flickering light
I'm naked, naked inside
Also outside, it pretty cold here
Green GOOOOOOOOoooooooooo

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2015, 08:48:26 am »

Wh ... what? Why is there no one here? Why did the power go out? Where are we? Is this France? Was it terrorists? Ohgodohgodohgodohgodohgodohgodohgod.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2015, 12:08:44 pm »

Wh ... what? Why is there no one here? Why did the power go out? Where are we? Is this France? Was it terrorists? Ohgodohgodohgodohgodohgodohgodohgod.
"Because nobody has come in for work, again. The power went out because of problems with our backup generators. You are currently in the Safe.Co research lab, Paris division. Yes, this is France. I have no reports of terrorist activity. Please, stay calm."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2015, 01:44:10 pm »

Still flinging and picking goo off himself, and trying to find something to wipe his hands with, Alexander appears to calm a bit. Oh ... We're here? We made it okay? You said our luggage arrived safely? Is there a shower? I'd like to get this ... stuff off of me before we go. Is there a car waiting for us? Do we have to answer a bunch of questions about our experience? Hey, if no one came in, how are they going to do the follow ups? Never mind that, after I shower can I get an itinerary for the trip? I'd like to know so I can be prepared. Also so I can maybe find some non-touristy spots out there in our down time, if we have any.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2015, 02:01:13 pm »

Still flinging and picking goo off himself, and trying to find something to wipe his hands with, Alexander appears to calm a bit. Oh ... We're here? We made it okay? You said our luggage arrived safely? Is there a shower? I'd like to get this ... stuff off of me before we go. Is there a car waiting for us? Do we have to answer a bunch of questions about our experience? Hey, if no one came in, how are they going to do the follow ups? Never mind that, after I shower can I get an itinerary for the trip? I'd like to know so I can be prepared. Also so I can maybe find some non-touristy spots out there in our down time, if we have any.
"Yes. Yes. Not exactly. Yes. No. No. They aren't. No. Please remain calm."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8