Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sorting Items  (Read 1473 times)

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sorting Items
« on: September 25, 2015, 06:12:55 pm »

I have large piles of items throughout my fortress. I was wondering if there was a way to sort these items. I've been looking at dfhack, and saw a "sort-items" option ... but I can't get it to work.

Here is what I've tried...
1. Run Dwarf Fortress with DFHAck, and load my fortress.
2. Press "k" and move my cursor over a "pile" of items. I see a long list, with tons of items.
3. Switch over to DFHack, and type "sort-items order material"
... and I get an error: "Could not invoke sort-items: unsuitable UI state."

Is this function not working in dfhack? Am I typing the command wrong (I've also tried "sort-items material" and "sort-items type material")?  I've checked and "k" was selected (so I am "looking" at a pile of stuff) and my cursor was positioned ontop of items.

If this doesn't work, is there another way to handle large lists of items (so you can easily find things, select groups of items to dump, etc.)?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Sorting Items
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 07:10:07 pm »

"Unsuitable UI state" generally means you're on the wrong screen/menu. Is it really supposed to sort item piles, or is that command meant to sort the stocks screen?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 10:29:51 am »

No idea... every search I do on Google doesn't really reference if it's for item piles or stock screen. Anyone use this before?

And anyone have a better way of sorting/searching through piles of items?

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 10:49:12 am »

The plugin's for sorting the building and construction item selection menus, if I recall correctly.

The best way to sort your fort's items is just to make your stockpiles more focused. Instead of throwing all stones and gems together, have stockpiles near your smelters for ores, near your masons for stone, and near your gemcutters for gems, for instance, and disable those items in all other stockpiles. Have a stockpile only for raw food by your kitchen, and one for drinks and another for prepared meals by your dining hall. Stuff like that.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 02:27:48 pm »

The plugin's for sorting the building and construction item selection menus, if I recall correctly.

The best way to sort your fort's items is just to make your stockpiles more focused. Instead of throwing all stones and gems together, have stockpiles near your smelters for ores, near your masons for stone, and near your gemcutters for gems, for instance, and disable those items in all other stockpiles. Have a stockpile only for raw food by your kitchen, and one for drinks and another for prepared meals by your dining hall. Stuff like that.

Yeah, I agree.... have you tried changing the stockpile settings?

You can sort by things like material and item type.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0