Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nerfing Wrestling for Balance  (Read 3669 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Nerfing Wrestling for Balance
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 03:50:04 am »

Four seconds to kick and three to punch seem unrealistically high to me.

My knowledge of both kind of tells me the bigger issue is "What kind of punch?" and "What kind of kick?" it kind of has a lot more vagueness then simply a "Sword slash" because unless you do a particularly flowery sword slash it generally takes the same amount of time (with the same sword of course). At least when talking about a "standard attack"

But what is a standard punch? Is it a Jab? Is it a straight? Is it a Haymaker? Palm Strike?

I am going to assume the standard proper punch is probably a semi-slow straight, it fits the idea.

While the standard kick would probably be a lower leg snap (not proper terminology).

Of which... Seems about right. At least in terms of the time variance. Since ticks are not seconds. Though personally kicks are not all that slow to come out and can equal 'the standard punch', they do have much more recovery then a punch does though.

I obviously failed to make my initial point that if you are to take ticks as seconds then attacks seem slow. I'd agree that the times don't seem far off relative to one another and especially not when you take into account how you can do quicker/faster versions of attacks and other options. The mention of gameplay was in relation of the time issue in that it's slower because the length of the smallest division of time was already decided and is not small enough to fit realistic speed fighting into.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 04:58:52 am »

I think the main reason why it seems unrealistic is that the success rate for unskilled wrestlers pulling off complex moves is too high.

A martial arts expert can probably lock and break someone's wrist in a second, but you need knowledge and practice to do that reliably on even a training dummy, let alone a struggling enemy.  In DF, though, any unskilled peasant can snap the joints of a similar-sized opponent without a reasonable chance of failure, and charging into a sword fight unarmed is often more effective than bringing a weapon, unlike in real life where unarmed fighting is generally reserved as a last resort for where you left your weapon at home.  It's basically a world where everyone is born with super kung-fu powers.

Unarmed fighting seems fair enough as it is, if you were maybe 5 levels higher.  Safely reaching that point should require regular fighting at 'Brawl' level or lower.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 07:24:32 pm »

It is better to think of 1 tick as "Instantaneous" then as a period of 1 second.

Ticks only matter when compared to other ticks.

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 10:19:28 pm »

I was just on the dev page looking you something to quote for another topic when I saw this.

Combat flow

Aimed attacks
    Random "opportunities" that increase/decrease the efficacy of all aimed/specific moves as combat progresses
    Reaction moments and controllable counter-strikes/movement chances
    Notion of stance/guard, with varying bonuses/penalties
    Ability to jump up on and ride opponents if they are large enough (can happen to you too of course)
    Not being able to hit a giant in the head, hitting a dragon in the head as a reaction when it attempts to bite
    Notion of overall wrestling position (who is on top of or controlling whom, etc.)

Combat styles

Combat styles involving weapons or natural attacks with associated stances and moves
    Ability to learn moves, etc. from others with whom you have a high enough reputation
    Certain moves may only be available as specific counters, while others might just be regular attacks
    Ability to create new moves/styles when highly skilled

Seems like this is already on the list.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek
Pages: 1 [2]