Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25

Author Topic: Aira's Playing (Sprout: Bees, Farming, Magic, and Monks!)  (Read 43811 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Aira's Playing (Review: Everything for PC)
« Reply #315 on: April 22, 2017, 10:23:23 am »

Actually, there's something I'm going to talk about on my channel soon, once I do a little research and get things started, but I'll do it here now: I think I am going to start a Patreon account. Not to earn money from my videos, really (though I do hope I will eventually be able to do that, and I do NOT want to use ads), but to pay for a Minecraft modded server for me and mom. Anyone who donates above a certain level (probably $5) would then have access to the server, and would be able to make group videos with me (and for their own channels, probably, if they want). We can't afford a server on our own (it would be Foolcraft, which needs loads of RAM, which means not a cheap server), but with just a few paying supporters we could have a server without any cost to us -
 which would lead to better and more frequent content. Would any of you guys potentially be interested in that? Does anyone have any suggestions or requests, past experiences with Patreon you think would be helpful for me to know about, or any other feedback on the idea?

Well, I for one would be happy to support you on Patreon. You're the one person who's LPs I follow who I'm not supporting on Patreon. :)

I'd join you for Foolcraft, too. Our timezones line up terribly, since I'm Pacific Coast US, so not sure how often I'd manage to be around when you're playing, but I wouldn't mind trying to coordinate occasionally.

I think your initial goals for your Patreon are good ones. In my limited experience people seem to respond well to Patreons who have nice solid content related goals for their channel. And to a certain extent simply continuing to produce videos will make people happy. In my case I support people not for any particular benefit for myself but as a way of repaying the hours of entertainment I've gotten from their work.

In any case, I'm glad that review is getting you such good attention!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #316 on: April 22, 2017, 11:22:14 am »

Thanks! I will probably try to start a Patreon soon. I suppose I also ought to work on getting a Discord server set up, though that will require a lot more energy due to the need for moderating. I will *not* start a community without moderating it and keeping out trolls and the like. Right now it's difficult to start anything new, because of my insane and stressful work situation. I'm counting the weeks until the end of the school year, when I can finally work on all the things I've wanted to do for so long... I promise all you guys' patience will pay off!

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 23, 2017, 03:27:01 am »

Hah, an explosion of activity here, too.

Notoriety has its pros and cons, and I suppose for every kudos there's some fraction of a jerk you'll have to put up with. As far as press copies go I figured it was pretty much "ask 'til someone thinks you're worth it", and was just curious if you got lucky with Everything or if there was something else going on, and as you said, you had an advantage. I also actually just read a reddit thread about a group working on a website meant to help content creators and game developers find each other for that sort of marketing. It's early days yet for them but it's an interesting idea. (The website is vgppl.com for anyone curious). That's some anecdotal evidence for developers - especially smaller ones, I imagine - itching at the to bit to get some of that sweet, sweet free promotion.

From everything I read, it seems like growth is really all about getting people finding your stuff - there's a fair bit of motivational advice/platitudes that amounts to "Build it, and they will come", but in a saturated, competitive medium like this, your potential audience has to know you're even there first. Quality is what keeps them coming back, which is just as important. I suppose for every moment you feel you're languishing in obscurity, it's best to consider it refining the craft.

That said, luck - which I suppose can be reasonably emulated with persistence and reading the market - does factor in. Piggybacking off upcoming indie games with their more niche audiences - and thus lower competition - seems to be a favorite for pulling up those analytics numbers.

Anyway, Patreon - this is really seconding or thirding other comments, but I've been following a fellow for quite a while, and he started up a Patreon a couple of years back. He already had a following (not sure how much of one) because he had been at it for a while, but he had a couple of clearly defined content-related goals that he met fairly quickly ("I'll Let's Play Earthbound like people have been wanting me to for years" and "I'll get a 3DS capture board installed so I can play every Zelda game back-to-back "). As long as you've already got some people on a metaphorical hook, it's reasonable to both ask and expect to get some of your costs for providing content covered.

The only thing I know of that hasn't been said is that Patreon is a pledging system, so you don't always get what it says you're going to get - people's cards are declined, or there are chargebacks, etc. etc. I don't know how often that comes up but it's something to keep in mind.

Also, re: moderation on Discord; if there's anybody in your community you trust, and are willing to do the work, you can lean on them. The previously mentioned Let's Player had several of his long-term watchers/friends put in moderation work in his Discord chat and Twitch streams.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 03:30:09 am by KoE »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #318 on: April 23, 2017, 06:04:37 am »

Thank you for all the helpful info and feedback!

So I'm setting this up now, or starting to. I have a discord server all made up with a few channels and roles. Anyone from here will be granted the role of "Respected Dorf" to set you apart from the riffraff. I will probably also choose at least one person to be a mod and help me out with keeping the channel polite and friendly, though that can probably be done later since there's no one around yet. There will be one room accessible to dorfs and patrons only. Only people who've been active on this thread (before this post) will have access to the dorf title.

You can join the server here: https://discord.gg/M9FNheC

If we start to get spam, I'll take that link down. Please send me your Discord usernames so I can give you the proper role on the channel.

I'm working on setting up the Patreon too. It'll probably be a while before I get any rewards out though, at least anything other than Discord permissions. Once we hit the goal I can set up the server, which will surely take a while since I've never run a server before, and start whitelisting people, etc. Stuff is in progress!

EDIT: And I have an (I hope) functioning Patreon page at last! Any of you guys who want to contribute, thanks in advance! https://www.patreon.com/AiraPlaysGames
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:46:06 am by Sappho »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Aira's Playing (Channel Update!)
« Reply #319 on: April 24, 2017, 02:25:28 pm »

Channel Update Video is up with some pleasant game video background and me talking about Discord, Patreon, and general stuffs.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Aira's Playing (Foolcraft (With Mom): #5 - Fire and Flight)
« Reply #320 on: April 26, 2017, 12:51:27 pm »

Episode 5 of Foolcraft is up. We spend some time in the sky, the Nether is involved... Just check it out.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Aira's Playing (Stardew Valley #52: Fishin' in the Rain)
« Reply #321 on: April 29, 2017, 01:28:41 am »

It's been a while since we visited the farm, but in Episode 52 of Stardew Valley, we go fishin' and talk life and try to catch an octopus.

I've also spent a few minutes completely reorganizing the first post in this thread. Should be much easier to navigate now. Most recent videos are at the top of each category.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 01:49:05 am by Sappho »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Aira's Playing (Burly Men At Sea)
« Reply #322 on: May 02, 2017, 05:46:25 am »

I managed to get a short video up yesterday of Burly Men At Sea on Android. It's my first attempt at making a video on my tablet. I'm not super pleased with how Google Play's built-in screen capturing software works, partly because it puts that stupid watermark on the screen the whole time. Anyone have any suggestions for better software?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Aira's Playing (Burly Men At Sea)
« Reply #323 on: May 02, 2017, 12:11:52 pm »

I don't have a better suggestion for software, but I really didn't notice the watermark at all while watching it. So I think you shouldn't worry too much about it while you look for something you like more.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Aira's Playing (Foolcraft 6: A Place to Store Our Stuff)
« Reply #324 on: May 03, 2017, 01:43:32 pm »

Thanks for the feedback! I think I might have found a better one, but I've yet to test it out.

Anyway, today it's time for Episode 6 of Foolcraft! No mom for now - she'll be away for a little while, but that's not gonna stop me from making progress. ;)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games

New video up, somewhat misleadingly titled Me vs Steam vs The World, is a commentary on a bit of my personal history with game piracy, DRM, and game vendors, how I got to this point, and my plans for the future.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Aira's Playing (Lumino City, Foolcraft, and NE_01)
« Reply #326 on: May 14, 2017, 05:04:06 am »

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with posting links here. I think most of you guys are on my Discord now so you get notified there, but I will try to keep this updated too. This past week I've posted my first Stream Archive, of Lumino City. Then came Episode 7 of Foolcraft, where I tried desperately to catch a ghast to make an angel ring. Finally, I tried out NE_01, a small indie game which I played some of and also critiqued as I played.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 14, 2017, 05:22:13 am »

At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, it looked to me like you weren't quite leading your target enough when you were fishing for Ghasts - that is, you were aiming where they were, not where they were going. I do understand about the random movement, but it looked (I've never played Minecraft, so my opinion is merely conjecture based on what I've seen of you playing and, for what it's worth, Minecraft Story Mode) like they had a little bit of momentum you could follow.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #328 on: May 14, 2017, 08:47:27 am »

It's the random movement. Often when I threw the line, the ghast didn't seem to be moving at all, or I'd try to get it in front of him and it'd change direction right then. There's also the fact that the fishing pole doesn't shoot straight forward when you aim it. It tends to drift to one side or another in the air. So aiming is essentially impossible.

I'll be giving it another try this week, and I have a new plan. I'll get those big babies eventually! ;)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 14, 2017, 09:04:09 am »

I believe you; I know how annoying it is to try to defeat/catch something that only runs away and uses ranged attacks when what you have to work with isn't really adequate for the task.

* SC shakes fist at a certain enemy type in Heart of Stone.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25