Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: #IStandWithAhmed (Or: How to manipulate public opinion to get free stuff)  (Read 11021 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: #IStandWithAhmed (Or: How to manipulate public opinion to get free stuff)
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2015, 03:14:06 pm »

To quote the OP:

"Ahmed was arrested under suspicion of "creating a hoax explosive or incendiary device for the purpose of intimidation" which is a crime under Texan law."

Assuming Rex is right on this one, that's a BS charge. If that pencil case looked like a bomb, everything looked like a bomb, and Amhed never said it was a bomb or tried to intimidate anyone. You might as well arrest any student. It reminds me of that time I was arrested on "Being suspected of having the intention of committing a misdemeanor". How do you fight a charge like that? :p

Now, the only issue here is "Would Amhed be arrested if he was a Christian boy called Jhon?". Since it depends on a counterfactual, it's pretty much impossible to answer this question with certainty one way or another, so everyone feel free to have your own opinion.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2015, 03:15:19 pm »

Real nice how the kid is guilty until proven innocent in this case. Because heaven forbid they do this in a way that's mandated by law/constitution/whatever document is in charge of these things.

Also yeah, any hairdryer that fits neatly into a pocket will have trouble housing a gun.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2015, 03:16:11 pm »

Assuming Rex is right on this one, that's a BS charge. If that pencil case looked like a bomb, everything looked like a bomb, and Amhed never said it was a bomb or tried to intimidate anyone. You might as well arrest any student. It reminds me of that time I was arrested on "Being suspected of having the intention of committing a misdemeanor". How do you fight a charge like that? :p
I can think of a few ways :D

Now, the only issue here is "Would Amhed be arrested if he was a Christian boy called Jhon?". Since it depends on a counterfactual, it's pretty much impossible to answer this question with certainty one way or another, so everyone feel free to have your own opinion.
My opinion is fact therefore it is fact

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2015, 03:20:06 pm »

My opinion is fact therefore it is fact
But if you state your post is shitpost does it mean it really is a shitpost? How can a non-explicitly stated non-shitpost be non-shitpost then? And if facts are shit, what does non-fact make?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2015, 03:24:24 pm »

To quote the OP:

"Ahmed was arrested under suspicion of "creating a hoax explosive or incendiary device for the purpose of intimidation" which is a crime under Texan law."

You have no idea what reasonable suspicion is, do you?

Real nice how the kid is guilty until proven innocent in this case. Because heaven forbid they do this in a way that's mandated by law/constitution/whatever document is in charge of these things.

Good thing they didn't press charges which is where innocent until proven guilty comes in. Arrest needs reasonable suspicion, NOTHING else.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2015, 03:26:05 pm »

You have no idea what you are talking about.
And you do?
Black lives matter.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2015, 03:28:36 pm »

I mean, if you're sure.
Black lives matter.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2015, 03:30:43 pm »

I mean, if you're sure.

I've not been wrong yet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2015, 03:30:50 pm »

Yeah, man.

Not like pretending you have a gun is a crime or anything either.
It is. Good thing the kid wasn't pretending he made a bomb.

Did the police have evidence that he wasn't? Nope.

Because if he just keeps repeating the statement that it's a clock, doesn't really answer the question of why he brought it in.
"Guilty until proven innocent. Also talking to police who are mistreating and discriminating against you is a great idea!"

Nothing suspicious here, officers. Just a boy bringing a hairdryer into school.
It's not. Though hey, I'll give you a benefit of a doubt here, after all where I come from hairdriers are totally common household items and not some arcane majic device that could cause unprecedented amount of carnage if brought to a school grounds. Our hair laws are very strict.

Off the top of my head:
Hair dryer in the pocket looks a lot like a gun in the pocket.
Hair dryer could easily be dismantled and hold a gun inside the casing.

Once, the place where I worked got stolen from. Well, it didn't. It got robbed.

You see, there's a difference. The difference was when the guys robbing the place acted like they had guns in their pockets. Regardless of whether they did or not, it made it into a different and much more serious crime.
"Here's a completely unrelated and possibly fictitious anecdote which somehow proves my point despite having nothing to do with the situation!"

Rex, this whole thread is you reading this on Reddit, wanting to have been the person who posted it in the first place, then deciding to post it here so that if it ends up being true, we'd all sing your praises as the person who saw through the media and blah blah blah. You tried it once, but the story was only confirmed well after everyone stopped giving a shit. So, this is your second attempt.

Do you really think I care about the opinions of people in this thread? Christ, no.

There's a lot of people who will not reply but will read it. They're not emotionally invested so they'll admit the truth to themselves.

They're the people you convince in an argument. Not the other side.

P.S. Thanks for admitting I was right, I appreciate it. :D
Gets called out on being an idiot. "lol i troll u" (This is really still a thing?)

"Nobody agrees with my loony opinions but I bet that there's a silent majority of lurkers who do! My imaginary friends believe me and that's what counts!"
--

For what it's worth, I'm okay with the teacher being cautious, but I wasn't there and as such can't know exactly what transcribed. Everything that happened after the police got there was atrocious.

But seriously though, Rex? If you want people to agree with your reposted conspiracy theories, go back to your nutjob shelter at /pol/ (or, more likely, your edgelord-so-oppressed knockoff on reddit) and natter to them about how net fuel can't melt steel memes. Do you remember what happened last time you tried to smear your particular brand of paranoid fringe radicalism over here? I mean, granted, this is just sort of laughable instead of actually offensive, barring the bits about how we should ignore our rights, so I suppose that's a step up.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2015, 03:31:35 pm »

Levels of post quality have now descended below shit and have become rotten offal

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2015, 03:33:10 pm »

I can think of a few ways :D
Loud Whispers I hereby am arresting you on the crime of intention to commit sodomy. You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence.
How do you explain yourself?

And yes I think at this point the shitposting is of higher quality than the actual content.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2015, 03:33:15 pm »

Levels of post quality have now descended below shit and have become rotten offal
8/10, good form and elegant execution on your punnery, sirrah.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2015, 03:34:08 pm »

I've not been wrong yet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Did the police have evidence that he wasn't?
Yes, see this guy for the answer:
Because if he just keeps repeating the statement that it's a clock
As this guy I quoted above perfectly states, the kid said it was a clock. He didn't not pretend it was a bomb, he pretended (and correctly) it was a clock.
checkers m8ers
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7