Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Tarmid-Udar: Dwarven Howitzer  (Read 13342 times)

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Tarmid-Udar: Dwarven Howitzer
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2015, 11:27:39 am »

Oh, they're all still in one obscenely destructive basket- the Howitzer.

Just instead of dumping all the magma in one place, you're flinging it across a square mile of forests. Much more effective at burning down a forest- more places for a fire to start.

((I assume an obscenely destructive basket must actually mean a steel bucket menacing with spikes of pitchblende filled with magma.))
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2015, 12:24:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Poor sods. Won't even know what happened to 'em.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2015, 12:50:41 pm »

There are quite a few of them.

EDIT: I'll post a gif of the shot as soon as I can find decent CMV to GIF software.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 01:17:22 pm by Insert_Gnome_Here »
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2015, 11:54:56 pm »

EDIT: I'll post a gif of the shot as soon as I can find decent CMV to GIF software.
Play the CMV while recording it with gifcam.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2015, 01:37:28 pm »

I can't get gifcam to work. I'll try to put the video up some other way. If necessary, I can set up an ftp server and host it myself.

In other news, The goblins slayed Windoils to a dwarf. The last survivor was the mayor, who was knocked off a staircase and fell to his death. A new fort has been founded, to turn the howitzer from a proof-of-concept into a viable weapon.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2015, 01:40:18 pm »

In other news, The goblins slayed Windoils to a dwarf. The last survivor was the mayor, who was knocked off a staircase and fell to his death. A new fort has been founded, to turn the howitzer from a proof-of-concept into a viable weapon.

Maybe you shouldn't have put all your eggs in one extremely destructive basket. 

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2015, 04:40:13 pm »

I expect to be busy for the next few weeks, with little time to make the new outpost, Grippedcopper, megaproject-ready. I will still have time to answer questions etc. on this thread and may work out how to post a video of the firing. If this thread has died by then, I will start a new one focusing on shotgun/howitzer aimability, otherwise I will continue posting here.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2015, 10:03:54 pm »

Notable: you may be able to aim it a little by giving the track a couple of turning tracks (I think someone did !!science!! that the carts track partial sideways velocities as well, so if you put tracks >> - + < it might give a bit of sideways velocity, where - is like a NW track and + is a SW track, with bridges to cover each of them to allow for turning or non-turning. Worth trying. If you've not posted yet, I'll work it into my current cannon to see. That might actually be today or tomorrow.)
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2015, 01:12:36 pm »

My plan is actually to collide minecarts at the last minute, although that could theoretically work, as could sideways rollers near the end of the track.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2015, 10:37:56 pm »

My plan is actually to collide minecarts at the last minute, although that could theoretically work, as could sideways rollers near the end of the track.

Yeah, this was just mentioned in the thread that I started. You can potentially use differently-weighted minecarts colliding in midair to control the angle of deflection. In theory.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2015, 08:52:07 am »

Maybe it would be possible to mine a tunnel a certain distance away from your entrance, with walls funneling traffic from the tunnel to the entrance, and position the entrance-ward end of the tunnel where the projectiles usually land to "aim" it at enemies - or, really, you aim THEM at IT.
Black lives matter.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2015, 02:06:54 pm »

Tests on deflecting minecarts using collisions prove hopeful. I need to tweak relative masses & speeds to ensure the right amount of deflection, then I can incorporate it into the new howitzer.

Code: [Select]
>===#
    ^
> , ^ roller in direction indicated
= , # track

The 4 way track has a pressure plate linked up to a gear attached to the up roller, & the right roller is connected to a lever.  Both rollers have minecarts left on them.
When triggered, the minecart on the left rolls over the pressure plate, launching the lower minecart into it and deflecting its course upwards.
(layout is flat; 'up' & 'down' refer to diagram)

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2015, 06:33:50 pm »

I think this entire concept is the greatest thing I've ever witnessed in my dwarven life.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2015, 04:46:38 am »

This seems like an amazingly good idea.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2015, 01:06:28 pm »

This seems like an amazingly good idea.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4