Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unofficial Patch/Mod for Classic MW  (Read 3300 times)

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
Unofficial Patch/Mod for Classic MW
« on: September 22, 2015, 09:21:53 pm »

Meph does a ton of work, but with everything he is doing he can't spend a lot of time balancing. I had a lot of fun tweaking the warlock faction. It feels better now. I was just thinking, surely other players tweak little things here and there. Maybe we should start compiling a list and discussing an unofficial patch. Just post a comment about something you changed/want changed and why.

Remember, the game is supposed to be FUN! So if you aren't having fun, what is wrong?

Warlocks (http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11153)
-Warlock staff is ranged [CHANGED] - ethereal forge produces ethereal/empyrean ammos
-Skeleton Upgrading Costs [CHANGED]
-Ghoul Bite Conversion Speed [CHANGED]
-Skeletons learn slowly [CHANGED]
-Phylacteries 'free' [CHANGED]
-Ethereal Buildings have value [CHANGED]
-Wound Dressing Skills [CHANGED]
-Ghouls learn Swords, Doctor skills [CHANGED]
-Ghouls learn their class skills very quickly [CHANGED]
-FLESHMONGER noble should now be a ghoul. [CHANGED]
-Ghoul Prisoner creation bug
-Zombies are now [PET] tokened. [CHANGED] (This may break the food system too badly. Before, it was possible to run low on food and bones. This will probably need to be changed, but function as a QUICK FIX)

Gnomes

Succubi

Orcs

Humans (http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11166)
-Value of Lead Reduction [CHANGED]

Hermit

Kobolds

Dwarves

Other
-Animals not laying eggs (reproducing properly)

Code Contributions:
Send a rar of file to mwpatchproject@yahoo.com
Subject: (Category) Patch File [EG - Human Trade Patch File]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 02:29:27 am by taldarus »

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unofficial Patch/Mod for Classic MW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 01:59:59 am »

biggest thing i have changed is to add more hatchlings to some of the creatures, there are several creatures that can be captured that lay eggs, but the eggs never hatch

misiekm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 09:58:31 am »

I've made some changes to my warlocks, too, though most of them are bugfixes, frankly.

- fixing the bone skeleton learning rates back to 0
- adding the "enhanced" ghouls to creatures that can be a Ghoul Captain
- re-adding the [INTELLIGENT] tag to Zombies
- fixing the Butcher Torso reaction to go after the correct bodypart
- the reaction adding a head to a ghoul was also messed up somehow IIRC

Nothing out of the ordinary, you've probably come across those already.
I only make two slight gameplay changes, otherwise:
- adding a "Mage captain" or somesuch position, so that my Death, Hunger and others can train together without an Overlord. Also helps for having a ranged warlock squad with specific spells.
- To that end, I also add a ranged attack to warlock staves and a reaction to forge / summon magic missile ammo. It helps keeping those suicidal maniacs out of melee combat.

I don't think I've played warlocks enough to offer much insight beyond that, honestly. But I'd very much like to see what others have in mind!

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 08:03:24 pm »

I like the staff thing and the mage captain. Don't know why you want intelligent zombies though...

Would you mind copy pasting the staff piece? I definitely want it O.o

How about other races?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 12:58:18 am »

The human metal trader currently values lead over silver at a 3:2 ratio, kinda silly if you ask me.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 06:37:44 am »

so far in my test fort not much has changed, can still make infinity ghouls form a single prisoner- which quickly go insane / tantrum all over the place cause they're fabulous and desire clothing

I DO LIKE the dont need hordes of hourglasses, i feel much less need to mine simple stone, although a way to summon.. ethereal boulders might be a thing however.

wound dressing was left out of anyones learning capability (did mention that to meph a while back...somewhere...ithink....)

had an interesting experience i forgot to document where somethings blood (not titan/beast) was melting my ghouls making them bleed to death and ignoring my hospital.. probably something kobold...pritty sure that was kobold blood (possibly something they stepped in. naked and whatnot. wish they didnt have bloody feelings

cannot butcher prisoners anymore? as i havent bothered with that since the last time i took over hell a while back.

still wishing for a create ironbone/bloodsteel/dreadnaught skeleton in one action =)

can ghouls learn to use warlock(scythe swords and whatnot) weapons? that would make them vastly more usefull (even at a reduced rate i wouldn't care) scourges have issues penetrating helmets for finishing blows... come to think of it i never made a scythe skeleton squad...mmmm

i never used zombies before (they were rather useless when i first did them a while back) so i made a few designated as haulers and weavers (yeah go fetch that silk in the cavern!) disabled it from everyone else (mostly) only made skeletons i needed and a squad of ghouls for hunting. (i made 15 to start but most went insane cause they were naked... sigh silly undead)

is it possible to remove the skeletons going awol without a warlock or powered pylon around, having to pick a new crypt lord cause of randomness is annoying (im positive my pylon network was in los and everything >< )

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 06:59:35 am »

Wound dressing! Totally was baffled by something today, and that fits the problem. Ooh! Should Ghouls be good at medical skills? (They are animal caretakers)

I feel skeletons are pretty easy to power level at the moment. I could leveled up ten skeletons to ironbone in my current fort. It was almost too easy.

This fort is much more timid  :'( Not nearly as crazy (siegewise), but I was much more careful laying it out, and I think its a calm region. I haven't had any problems butchering prisoners recently. Did you get them through the overlord or from the embark?

Gotta go atm: Finish later

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 07:40:22 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

embark prisoners

i know its easy to level up skeletons.. i just dont care for assigning each individual skeleton the rights to use the furnace to upgrade themselves >:) quality of life yeah?

misiekm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 10:48:46 am »

I like the staff thing and the mage captain. Don't know why you want intelligent zombies though...

Would you mind copy pasting the staff piece? I definitely want it O.o

How about other races?

The intelligent zombies are just something I picked up in the Warlock thread, I recall people discussing it as a problem, so I just slapped it back in there :P

As for the staff, I went about it the lazy way and just copied the relevant lines from the dwarven mage staves.

[RANGED:MAGIC_NATURE:MAGIC_SPELL]
[SHOOT_FORCE:2000]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:2000]

I plugged it right below [ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_WARLOCK_STAFF] in item_weapons_melee.txt.

Then, continuing in the theme of laziness, I added a reaction for
[PRODUCT:100:25:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_MAGIC_SPELL:INORGANIC:RHENAYAS_DARKLIGHT_IRON]
to the Ethereal Forge. I suppose for the sake of balance they should be Ethereal / Empyrean or forged with Ironbone, but since I only tend to have like 2-3 caster warlocks standing in the back, I didn't think it much of a problem (and knowing myself, I knew I'd forget to restock the decaying ammo and therefore have my warlocks try to melee again).

I don't really have anything to add on the other races. The only race I played enough were Dwarves, and I've never bothered to change anything in there.

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 09:14:20 pm »

Lmeire, if you could change the value, what would you change it to?

Gonna change Ghouls to be more like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_(Discworld)

Only more psychotic and killey. So I am thinking sword or dagger (tools of a surgeon) for a weapon, atm. Also they are going to be VERY good at it, 200% learning to doctor skills, etc.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:20:33 pm by taldarus »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 04:59:41 am »

Lmeire, if you could change the value, what would you change it to?

I'm of two minds for it. The easiest solution would probably be just flipping the values around so 2 silver bars sell for a stack of gold while 3 or 4 lead goes for the same, since silver is actually useful gameplay-wise for weapons and alloys even though it's material value is only a third of gold.

Another option might be restructuring the material costs as to better reflect material values in relation to a bar of gold, which would mean that 3 silver bars still sell for 500 gold coins, but at least the value of lead would be lowered to ~15 bars for a coin stack. But I dunno, that method sounds like it could open up a big can of worms in terms of difficulty and game-balance; not to mention the probable tedium involved in looking up everything currently bartered and changing the prices to better fit what the broker would say it's worth.

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 06:29:41 am »

You broke my mind...

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 06:32:08 am »

How so?

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 07:23:23 am »

...dur...

Edited file, seems silly to post human thing on website, but....

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 01:00:55 am »

Fairin, just tested a second fort, made it entirely on ethereal blocks. A dwarven siege just showed up, before the end of the first year. I only have the summer and autumn autosaves. Ethereal value will not guarantee massive sieges and battles, but it goes a long way to helping. IF you build entirely out of ethereal blocks, bad guys will come for you in droves. If I can figure out how to upload the map, I would.

My current fort is about 25x25 blocks in X,Y dimensions and isn't a story tall yet, but I am laying down a ton of walls. I have a little underground area for food and a dorm housing space. Bare bones, made by one miner.

Oh, LMeire, I can just show you how to edit the file if you want. I did it myself, and can upload it to you.

EDIT: Successfully uploaded... I took thirty tries to upload 80kb, and one to upload 24mb...
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11164
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 01:19:04 am by taldarus »
Pages: [1] 2