Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tree Farms And/Or Orchards  (Read 1152 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tree Farms And/Or Orchards
« on: September 23, 2015, 01:28:31 pm »

I have greatly appreciated the addition of fruit-bearing trees as a food source, but I find micromanaging which trees get cut to be annoying. So, why not make tree farms and/or orchards a thing? I think would be easier to make just orchards and not both orchards and tree farms, since not all non-fruit bearing trees produce seeds and allowances would have to be made for transplanting saplings, whereas orchards alone could be more like farms.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tree Farms And/Or Orchards
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 03:17:57 pm »

I have greatly appreciated the addition of fruit-bearing trees as a food source, but I find micromanaging which trees get cut to be annoying. So, why not make tree farms and/or orchards a thing? I think would be easier to make just orchards and not both orchards and tree farms, since not all non-fruit bearing trees produce seeds and allowances would have to be made for transplanting saplings, whereas orchards alone could be more like farms.

They already are. All you have to do is cut down all trees in an area except the fruit trees until a whole area has nothing in it than fruit. 

What you seem to be calling for is a better interface with less micromanagement, to which the answer would be; aren't we all? 

I consider however all the details of how the trees grow and compete for light, twisting around eachother in the process to be a beautiful depiction of how things work in real-life.  I would not replace it with the simplistic and unrealistic farming model for the world.  Not only that, I would replace the way that crops grow WITH the way that trees grow so that we would have to weed stuff and the like.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 05:36:07 pm »

Planned:
Harvestable flowers and fruit growing on plants, ability to plant trees
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 12:44:32 pm »

What he's asking is something more along the lines of being able to designate cutting down specific kind of trees. Like a sub menu on the designation menu, that by default order cutting all trees, but if you are willing to, you can select which species to cut and not to cut. (I think, or at least such thing would be better suited to our use)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 12:48:04 pm »

Maybe he thinks it could be a building or zone, with the settings changeable to be able to cut down some trees and plant others.
One wheel short of a wagon

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:08:00 pm »

What he's asking is something more along the lines of being able to designate cutting down specific kind of trees. Like a sub menu on the designation menu, that by default order cutting all trees, but if you are willing to, you can select which species to cut and not to cut. (I think, or at least such thing would be better suited to our use)
That's not what I'm reading. The micromanagement is a result of not being able to plant his own trees where he wants them.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 03:18:23 pm »

In fact it is, I just read too much the part of micromanaging which trees to cut.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 07:38:09 am »

Being able to designate only non-fruit producing trees would prove quite convenient, though not as much as being able to control where certain tree types grow. It's good to know that is planned for future updates.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)