Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My duchess keeps scaring her patients...  (Read 2411 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: My duchess keeps scaring her patients...
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 03:42:54 pm »

May be a bit late here, but can't you contain her while she's untransformed by assigning her to a burrow?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 05:33:22 pm »

Burrowing her would have worked, but I'm not really a big fan of burrows... they tend to lead to a lot of confusion rather than success. I find putting her in a personal "werebeast" squad then deploying her to a location works better. Also, the "pull this lever until we tell you to stop, ignore the dwarves walling you in" method seems to work just fine, most of the time, no military or burrowing necessary.

But this time I was dealing with werebeasts transforming in sequence, depending on when they had been bitten, and attacking each other, attacking the wardogs they had been training, and attacking other dwarves. And then the merchants arrived. That and a vampire being walled into the wrong side of a forgotten-beast-filled cavern taking all our artifacts with him.... Sigh. It was chaos, and I didn't manage it well. Fun while it lasted. :)

I'm pretty sure werebeasts are breedable, I seem to remember having one with a baby... But eh, they're too annoying to manage most of the time. I tend to get rid of them these days. But I use vampires for all of my bookkeeping if I can.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 01:37:31 am »

It's odd with weres transforming in sequence, as they should transform based on the phase of the moon and the time of day, and thus all transform to/from at the same time. If time of biting shifts the timing you could potentially get attacked at any time of day and any day of the month by secondary victims, given enough time.

Military stationing should work quite well for getting a were/vampire in dwarven guise to where you want it, with the problem being that stationing is fairly imprecise (anywhere within a 10 or so tile radius).

I agree burrows aren't that great a tool usually, but I use them for civilian alerts and individual dwarf herding (I've tried to confine couples to their quarters for breeding purposes, for instance. The confinement part has worked, but the breeding generally works as well as any dorf breeding of mine).

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 11:17:55 am »

Werebeasts will definitely fight each other if they had any enmity beforehand.

I set off a rampage of weremammoths myself and they would happily beat on other humans peacefully and hang around, they were even friendly with me if they hadn't seen me bite them/others yet.
Pages: 1 [2]