Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sending dwarves to battle?  (Read 765 times)

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
  • im french :D
    • View Profile
Sending dwarves to battle?
« on: September 26, 2015, 04:04:51 am »

Just wondering , because i have a small squad and in case of siege i'd just wonder how to send them to battle.
A random person which does stuff and likes roguelikes and SS13...

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sending dwarves to battle?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 04:28:55 am »

I deleted my post. Next guy had it laid out better and I didn't realize I'm using tags.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:07:15 am by Sirbug »
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 04:56:47 am »

's' brings up the 's'quad menu. Select squad (with only one it will be 'a'), give order 'm'ove to move to a general station (and attack hostiles seen), or 'k'ill to bring up the kill menu (with various choices. Note that kill in rectangular area requires an extra 'enter' to confirm the choice).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 12:07:15 pm »

Tell ya' what I do is use burrows. The Military options in this game are nuts.

Hit [w] to define a burrow. You can create+name alerts (siege alert, for instance) in the military screen, and use the scheduling screen in the military menu to assign squads to defend certain burrows during certain alerts. When you activate an alert, squads will move to their assigned burrows. It's useful in that you can bring all squads to an alert status and say, park your marksdwarves on walls while melee units stand ready at the inner gates or some such.

You can also order squads using the previously posted method after they have reached their burrows, allowing for further flexibility.

You want to get really crazy you can even assign patrol routes. You can assign, say, 3-4 dwarves from each squad to constantly patrol your halls. Keeps casualties due to sudden influxes of cavern critters etc low.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0