Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What are your favorite things to add/alter/create while modding?  (Read 2522 times)

CulixCupric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What are your favorite things to add/alter/create while modding?
« on: September 26, 2015, 09:00:40 pm »

What are your favorite things to add/alter/create while modding?

For me, it's sentient species, and civilizations, as it adds more possibilities of conflict, wars, and new races to play as during fortress mode.

I also like to add new reactions and plants, to add more diversity to what farming and crafting. surface mushrooms, silk reeds, etc.
a fuel refinery for making clay briquettes, or solid forms of ethanol or biodeisels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_fuel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_fuel
miniature forms of livestock, which are more managable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_cattle
a workshop for making mixtures of sand, clay, soil, and charcoal into claystone, sandstone, siltstone, or graphite, or blast-heating sandstone into quartzite.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Sandstone

What are your favorite things to add/alter/create while modding? what are examples of what you've added?
Don't know what to put here... let me know if you have any ideas...

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: What are your favorite things to add/alter/create while modding?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 07:37:01 am »

I've got "magic metals", pyrochalcum, geochalcum, aerochalcum, hydrochalcum and dracometal, smelted from dragon fossils.  Great to mitigate that "oh great, tetrahedrite" feeling. 

Reactions for improvised weapons, wooden staffs, stone maces, leather whips, etc. 

FuFo has a lot of flavor items, like katana, kimono, kilt, khopesh, war spade, gada, etc. 

The most fun so far has been to add extra goblin-like entities from races like ogres, blizzard men, sasquatch, satyr and molemarian. 

There are a lot of things I'd like to make, but they are on back-burner. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 09:09:20 pm »

Process:
Bio engineering! I love tinkering with the tissue/materials/composition of creatures!

*goes back into lab, accompanied by lightning flashes*

"IGOR! We need more brains!"

Goal:
My favorite process is making something akin to the Nack Mac Feegle! Crivens!
I like forcing the games mechanics to behave incorrectly. A small creature (under 10,000) that can slaughter a huge creature (over 1,000,000)

Now I want to try making a functional ghost again...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 09:33:56 pm »

anything that attempts to make relationships in the game more interesting

...except there's nothing like that i can actually do now that i think about it

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 10:17:17 pm »

anything that attempts to make relationships in the game more interesting

...except there's nothing like that i can actually do now that i think about it

I don't know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for, but my mammoth people seem to get into lethal brawls constantly and produce babies with a vengeance.  Messing around with certain personality traits definitely has effects, but it's hard to tell what exactly. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 08:46:49 am »

I try to have ideas that are unconstrained by the game mechanics, and hopefully novel, then learn how to shoe-horn them into DF.  Obviously this means frequent contact with wonky unreliable corners of the game (e.g., regional interactions), constant modifications with the potential to burn down my house (e.g., DFHack), and the occasional case of tunnel-vision ("Hey, Dirst, that complicated thing you're trying to build from scratch in C++?  You can do that with one line in the raws.").

Most everything I've gotten functional is in this mod, though I also made a couple experimental mods here and here to test mod-merge logic.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 03:06:44 pm »

There is quite a bit that I like to mod which each one turns into a super project:
- Creating a system similar to Modest Mod, where most materials are standardized for the FPS boost, and list clean up (no more 100+ <insert name here> blood)
- Complex Magic Systems (best one I currently came up with was a spells get better over time, max 3 years for all spells and lvl 1 spells are upgraded with lower cooldowns)
-Complex Creatures customized to that limbs will not be removed, but can be disabled many different ways and destroyed when their core/soul stone is broken (depends if said creature is mechanical or magically enchanted (Dwarven War Mechs, Liches))
-Creature Varieties, this includes castes that are less rare to simulate that a wild herd has alphas or a randomly mutant version, making something like "or look a group of badgers" to "OH GOD ICE BREATHING WINGED BADGER!"
--Branching off of Varieties, invader/non-playable races I give them castes that are specially made to be squad leaders so a group of invading elves will always be lead by a war-bound leader that will always use a certain weapon and may or may not have some spells that boost elves/weaken targets to make their attacks more pressing.
-Allowing resurrection of fallen units at the cost of rare materials (which has a chance to just go up in a puff of smoke)
-Allow the ability to turn the dead into a mechanical or soul transfer to a construct where they can rejoin the army and do some minimal tasks but never become a leader/noble again and death #2 is the final death. (said transformations allow auto repairs for lost limbs when gone on break)
-And my final and most favorite. Creatures that wander onto the map, and then spawn hostile units until it leaves or is killed. Some times these are FUN if it's a cavern creature and as you dig you're swarmed by 1000's of minions and you haven't even hit the circus yet. (Only issue is the unit list gets filled with all the dead as you clear them out, only option is to "resurrect as a friendly thing, cage it and it's fellows, and ship it off with the next trader, if I remember resurrections clean up the unit list or not)

Yup lots of things that are fun to do. I think the last thing I was working on was potions.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 04:29:35 pm »

Creatures that wander onto the map, and then spawn hostile units until it leaves or is killed.

This one peaked my interest.... I'm curious how you go about doing this?
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 08:35:33 pm »

Well, I don't do anything especially complicated, but I do love the organ and general internals editing part of working on a new creature, because testing it in Arena mode is quite interesting. I like seeing how things work.
My goodness, I sound like a serial killer.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 09:10:34 pm »

I totally agree, I sound like a digital Dexter when I  think about what I am doing...  :P

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 10:40:49 pm »

Creatures that wander onto the map, and then spawn hostile units until it leaves or is killed.

This one peaked my interest.... I'm curious how you go about doing this?

Things you need:
-Material that melts at room temp
-Body part that has a single "connector" and this connector attaches to the upper body or which ever you want, attached to the connector is a number of "dropper" parts (easy way to do this is look at teeth for using the NUMBER:# tag)
-Creature with at least 3 castes
-Two interactions, one is a resurrect with a transformation, the other is a simple transformation

Interaction that is RESURRECT that also has a transformation Syndrome
another interaction that is used on the creature to transform itself to another caste has to last at least 1000 ticks (800 is the min but you might not have the parts drop)

make a creature that is 3 castes ( min )
Caste One, Main can transform into Caste Two
Caste Two, Dropper Caste has the "dropper" body part. Connector is made from melting material (9000 melting point is good) and the Droppers are made from BONE
Caste Three, Minion. Caste Two will RESURRECT and TRANSFORM the 'dropped' parts into this caste

Note for ease of use and to prevent unlimited minion revival, Make caste two have CREATURE_CLASS:MINIONABLE so that the resurrect class can only target that. So only Dropped parts or other dead Caste Twos will become Minions.

That is basically the quick and dirty explanation from there it's !!SCIENCE!! until you get it working the way you want. Also make sure all 3 Castes have OPPOSED_TO_LIFE and NOT_LIVING or CRAZED if that ever works (never worked for me) and by work I mean never actually got applied or made the creature crazed

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 09:15:09 am »

I very much enjoy making creatures that are powerful and hard to kill but not impossible to kill.
I learned a bit about materials and such in my attempt to make such creatures, like I can make a size 1 creature punch a bronze colossus to death, which is kinda silly, but very amusing.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 03:21:01 pm »

removing treacherous cave adaptation and removing goblins' [use evil animals] tag to prevent troll overpopulation

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 07:32:52 pm »

There are a bunch of things I keep returning to with each version:

Tougher wildlife - I like mucking about with body materials to give wildlife an armor-analogue.  Stone flesh layers, toughened leather and metal-grade bone being favorite tricks.
Syndromes - I really like designing horrible things to infect everything with and keep the doctors busy.  I also do a lot of boiling rock tricks.
Entities - I love designing caste systems that create significant differences in fortress inhabitants.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 12:44:30 pm »

I like ripping out as many vanilla systems as possible and replacing them via DFHack. It brings out my inner coder :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: [1] 2