Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What are your favorite things to add/alter/create while modding?  (Read 2511 times)

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: What are your favorite things to add/alter/create while modding?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 06:05:14 pm »

:o

You're like the Frankenstein of computer code! Back! Back foul fiend~!
 :P

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 10:24:14 am »

Hey, now my feelings are hurt :p

More seriously, DFHack scripts are so much more interesting than raw modding, and some of that hardcoded vanilla stuff gets in the way of cool ideas, so figuring out how to get rid of it is a major part of what I do :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 10:42:24 am »

I like ripping out as many vanilla systems as possible and replacing them via DFHack. It brings out my inner coder :)

Can you recommend a good tutorial for learning DFhack?  I also feel limited by what can be done by the raws, but I haven't been able to figure out how DFhack works without using the console. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 11:35:40 pm »

Learning DFHack is approximately equivalent to the following:

1. Learning programming (though this is a hidden step in many things of this type)

2. Learning documentation

...really that's about it
also you need to figure out what the xml means

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 10:04:10 pm »

1. Learning programming (though this is a hidden step in many things of this type)

I used to program Flash games with AS3 (which is a lot like JavaScript) so I still understand the concept of things like calling functions or object oriented programming, but I've never been good at browsing through documentation and coming up with a solution.  Or at least, that's not the kind of thing I would ever consider doing for fun.  It's frustrating to have DFhack sitting there and not being able to figure it out. 

Ace:  "DFhack, I need your help on this."
DFhack:  "Anigh;n, hinbib, ion!w azn3in." 
Ace:  " ...ugh." 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

CulixCupric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 01:37:41 am »

I used to program Flash games with AS3 (which is a lot like JavaScript) so I still understand the concept of things like calling functions or object oriented programming, but I've never been good at browsing through documentation and coming up with a solution.  Or at least, that's not the kind of thing I would ever consider doing for fun.  It's frustrating to have DFhack sitting there and not being able to figure it out. 

Ace:  "DFhack, I need your help on this."
DFhack:  "Anigh;n, hinbib, ion!w azn3in." 
Ace:  " ...ugh."
maybe learn lua too. it looks like some of the scripts are in lua.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 03:41:57 am by CulixCupric »
Don't know what to put here... let me know if you have any ideas...

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 10:03:44 pm »

Lua and Ruby can be used for scripts, though I personally only ever use Lua.  It is probably possible to program plugins in any high-level language that MS supports, but everything I've seen has been in C++.

Start with the scripts.  There are a number of mods and Bay12 threads that contain scripts you can use as a starting point, and you need to go pretty far down the rabbit hole before you need a plugin.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 10:27:45 pm »

"pretty far" is an understatement; i think itemsyndrome is the only thing that ever really wanted a plugin, and that's because it ran sorta back then (since lua gets really slow with nested vector traversal)

nowadays it's fine

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 10:00:59 am »

Fantastical creatures and plants with fantastical abilities, or unique uses in fortress mode industries.
Magic, largely simple stuff (no dfhack whatsoever, I can't understand a bit of it and I want to squeeze as much out of the game's own mechanics as possible rather than making it do anything it literally shouldn't be able to do, as fun as that is).
New civilizations to play with, reusing the same races or making new ones, getting them to behave in unusual ways and interact with each other regularly... I'm really good at getting 90% of the world to go extinct, at the moment!

All three of the mods I've published are along these lines... And I need to get back to updating them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 [2]