Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Towerclimb - Roguelite Upward Spelunking (Steam release!)  (Read 1434 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Towerclimb - Roguelite Upward Spelunking (Steam release!)
« on: September 30, 2015, 02:50:12 pm »

Now that Towerclimb is on Steam with a massive new update, I think it's time it had a thread here. :)

This is quite possibly the best sleeper release of 2015, but maybe you've seen it before-- you might even have already thrown down £5 for the beta, considering it's been in development for five years. But now it's on Steam, and it's fully released, with easily double+ the amount of content! Owners of the pre-Steam version can send an email to davioware to request a key.

But for those who don't already know, what is Towerclimb?

Official trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXtAmFDZT_U

It is a 'roguelite', permadeath platformer, with randomly generated levels and a kickass soundtrack. Don't let the simple graphics fool you into thinking this is a short or shallow game-- there's 20 floors in Chapter 1 alone, and they jokingly refer to that as the "tutorial." Now there's an even bigger Chapter 2 with the Steam release, and it's going to take you a LONG time to beat either of them... if at all. It's extremely challenging!

The game is dripping with atmosphere and mystery, and despite the simplicity of the pixel style, the particle and lighting effects are gorgeous in motion. There's a story, of sorts. It's not explicitly told, but you'll eventually learn the purpose of your climb. Each level is themed to a particular 'biome' and each biome has its own set of unique threats, from dodging puppies and rats in the Caverns, to climbing vines and avoiding killer beetles in the Conservatory.

Lava is deadly no matter where you find it, and water-flooded levels are often populated with vicious pirhana and jellyfish. Spikes litter the halls and landing on them is fatal, but if you blow them up with a Blast Berry - also to be found scattered throughout the tower - you can collect the shards and throw them at enemies. You have an inventory and can hold a limited number of items, like springs and crates. Jump Berries let you reach higher places, and treasure chests can contain useful items and equipment, including gloves and boots that increases your climbing and running speeds.

There's hidden quests, challenging 'Path of Exiles' shortcuts (for the very brave or very foolish), and shops where you can replenish your resources. While difficult to master, the game almost never feels "unfair" and there is always a solution to your current problem, assuming you have the resources to deal with it. Don't squander your Corrode potions, because you may need to blast your own path through the destructable terrain. And make sure to collect the Gold Berries you find so you can spend them at the shop. Don't forget to buy a revive potion; you'll need to always have one on hand, because you are going to die. A lot. :)

If tight platforming isn't your thing, but you're still interested in seeing the game, I would highly recommend watching KY's Towerclimb series here. He's familiar with Chapter 1 at first, but when he finally reaches Chapter 2, it's all new to him, and it's really fun to watch his discovery of a whole new area!

I know this post doesn't do the game justice. I'd just urge you to give it a look, because it really seriously deserves your money. This game was developed by two brothers and is packed with charm, runs smoothly without any bugs or crashes to speak of, and will (hopefully) keep you entertained for a heck of a long time!

(Oh, and P.S. Play with the 'depixel' setting OFF. It's a horribly ugly filter they added I guess to make the graphics appeal more to people who "hate pixel graphics"(?) but instead just makes everything look round-edged and goopy. They did the trailer with this setting on and I think it gives a really bad first impression. Seriously, what's up with that??)

-------

So, what's everbody's highest climb so far? I just hit Chapter 2 last night, but I haven't got past the Vault Caves yet. The toughest biome for me is always the Ruins, because it usually ends up costing all my resources (damn you, Zardo!)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:07:38 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towerclimb - Roguelite Upward Spelunking (Steam release!)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 03:33:31 pm »

I have my old beta account for this still, it was pretty fun IIRC, but it's been a long time. Is there any way to get a steam key? I still have my log in, or are they going to keep the versions on the website through that login up to date?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 03:37:34 pm »

So... spelunky, but up instead of down?

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 01:50:33 am »

Yup, this is exactly how I'd describe it. :)

@quinnr, dig up your old confirmation email if you still have it, and copypaste its contents into a new email to davioware@gmail.com and he will set you up with a key. If you didn't keep the email, no worries, mail him and he'll find you in the database, but it might take a bit longer to find.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 08:54:59 am »

Yup, this is exactly how I'd describe it. :)

@quinnr, dig up your old confirmation email if you still have it, and copypaste its contents into a new email to davioware@gmail.com and he will set you up with a key. If you didn't keep the email, no worries, mail him and he'll find you in the database, but it might take a bit longer to find.

Seems like the only thing I can download from the website is beta 1.2 from 2013 or something. I assume the Steam version is newer, and therefore the only way to play newer versions is to get the Steam key?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 11:30:02 am »

I emailed him for my key but haven't gotten a response yet.  Might just rebuy it if I want it bad enough but bluh.

I made it to the fourth zone I think.  I made it to the zone that drips lava, at least.
Shoes...

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 11:49:34 am »

There's a huge backlog of Steam key requests, it took them a couple of days to get mine. Just send them an email with your account info, and they'll send you one eventually.

Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 12:03:37 pm »

Yeah, took mine about four days from the time I emailed.