Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CURIOUSBEAST tags  (Read 1549 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
CURIOUSBEAST tags
« on: September 28, 2015, 09:00:02 am »

Why does slapping the CURIOUSBEAST tags (GUZZLER, ITEM and/or EATER) on a creature result in said creature never spawning in Fortress Mode? I'm genuinely baffled, but it does.

I gave every creatures in the raws CURIOUSBEAST tags, hoping it might result in Kleptomaniac Fortress, but all I ended up with was zero wildlife. Legends mode say animal populations are still alright, walking around in adventurer mode confirms this. They only just don't enter the fortress - even CURIOUSBEASTs who previously worked fine don't spawn, such as keas and black bears.

Dug around, but the only thing that appeared relevant was a thread from 2008. Theories, anyone? :(

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: CURIOUSBEAST tags
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 12:34:02 pm »

The game actually keeps track of when item thief creatures are spawned on the map, and will try and cycle through them over time.  Most likely, the purpose of this is to keep the game interesting by sending regular item thieves every once in a while, but also keep it tolerable by not sending too many of them at once.  Unfortunately, this means that if you put these tags on every creature, the game will try to find a non-thief creature and then simply not send anything.

As long as you have a couple of species that are not thieves, they should spawn; but adding more thief creatures won't make them come more frequently than usual, since the game will only spawn a thief creature when the time comes to spawn a thief.  No Kleptomaniac Fortress.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 12:52:35 pm »

Have you instead tried making a caste of the creatures to be thief worthy? Seems like the wiki says it's Caste level, but I'm not sure if the game scans the whole creature + castes then marks is as "thief" or leaving one non-thief caste would trick the game into thinking it's a normal creature

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 04:31:56 pm »

As long as you have a couple of species that are not thieves, they should spawn

So, in theory, you could force spawn a handful of species? That could be fun...
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 08:37:28 pm »

My zombies are curious and they spawn almost constantly now.
Then, I've set them to spawn in every fortress so that they're almost always present.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 02:00:49 am »

Have you instead tried making a caste of the creatures to be thief worthy? Seems like the wiki says it's Caste level, but I'm not sure if the game scans the whole creature + castes then marks is as "thief" or leaving one non-thief caste would trick the game into thinking it's a normal creature

Testing....

Nope, didn't seem to work. Gave every creature a separate thief caste, they ended up not spawning at all, not even the regular non-thief male and female castes. :(

As long as you have a couple of species that are not thieves, they should spawn

So, in theory, you could force spawn a handful of species? That could be fun...

Yeah, I guess Indigo is pretty much spot-on about this. Earlier on the domestic creatures were the only ones I didn't gave the curiousbeast tags to, so when I embarked, all I received were endless spawns of doe rabbits and yak cows.

Then, I've set them to spawn in every fortress so that they're almost always present.

Wait what how what - could you show me your zombie raws?

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 01:40:08 pm »

Wait what how what - could you show me your zombie raws?

Sure. I'm afraid the mod has a crashing problem currently in fortress mode, but it MIGHT not be the zombies. I've done a lot of weird stuff.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think they need some stuff from other bits of the raws, but I'm guessing you don't want the raws for actually having Zombies, so I'll leave those out.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 10:57:24 pm »

Curious beasts actually arrive as "invasions" just like megabeasts do, and the general wildlife code may exclude them for that purpose. If you have DFHack, create a timed_event of type WildlifeCurious and you should get a pack of curious beasts at your map edge which should make a beeline for your fortress.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:59:17 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.