Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [FORUMS] Notifications for @username mentions  (Read 1071 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
[FORUMS] Notifications for @username mentions
« on: September 29, 2015, 07:46:39 am »

Because it's useful to be able to ping people to an interesting thread, especially for modders.

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?#q=simple%20machines%20forum%20username%20mention

Apparently there's a plugin for this already, which makes it more practical than most suggestions.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: [FORUMS] Notifications for @username mentions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 08:14:59 am »

I think this is an excellent suggestion, @PeridexisErrant
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 08:32:12 am »

Oooh, I got a notification!  But only because I've already posted in the thread  :'(  I wonder if @Meph has seen it...
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 01:57:48 pm »

Seconded.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 05:40:02 am »

It's not necessary.
If we want to alert a specific person to a thread, we can use PMs or external channels for that. There's literally a setting that relays our PM notifications to email in our profiles.
We don't need @[USER] notifications for that.

Also we would run the risk of threads turning into notification spam, and our inboxes getting flooded with notifications about threads and boards that we haven't subscribed to.

And on a personal note, i don't want to see my favorite community devolve into a twitter/tumblr/whatever clone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 06:24:09 am »

Oooh, I got a notification!  But only because I've already posted in the thread  :'(  I wonder if @Meph has seen it...
Thanks to your notification system, I was alerted right away.

It's not necessary.
If we want to alert a specific person to a thread, we can use PMs or external channels for that. There's literally a setting that relays our PM notifications to email in our profiles.
We don't need @[USER] notifications for that.

Also we would run the risk of threads turning into notification spam, and our inboxes getting flooded with notifications about threads and boards that we haven't subscribed to.

And on a personal note, i don't want to see my favorite community devolve into a twitter/tumblr/whatever clone.
I disagree somewhat, because it would indeed be very useful for me. Lots of discussions mention my mod or name, just that I barely find out about it, until I search for my own name in the forums. :/
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::