Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 64

Author Topic: BATTLETECH - X-COM meets ROBOTS! - Release day April 24 2018!  (Read 105460 times)

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
BATTLETECH - X-COM meets ROBOTS! - Release day April 24 2018!
« on: September 29, 2015, 11:42:16 pm »

If you happend to like MechCommander, are a fan of BattleTech / MechWarrior or turn-based strategy games in general or just love to smash / blow up stuff with huge stomping robots, then this might be something for you! Jordan Weisman (one of the creators of BattleTech) and his talented team at Harebrained Schemes have launched a Kickstarter campaign in order to create a new BattleTech turn-based strategy game. That's right folks, a new turn-based game made by the team responsible for the successful Shadowrun games. The Kickstarter campaign was a smashing success! Harebrained Schemes asked for 250.000 dollars, but the counter sounded off at 2.785.537 dollars!

Spoiler: Kickstarter Updates (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: What is BattleTech? (click to show/hide)

I want to see more of the game!

Have a look below! Actual gamefootage is limited (and only viewable to backers). You can view some Dev Q&A livestreams. There is also the Death from Above videos, in which a group of 4 play a game of tabletop BattleTech.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:33:03 am by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile

If you need me, I'm here in the corner, furiously fapping and selling organs to get more money to pledge.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

I think the funding goals are kind of wonky. I would think that the main draw of the game would be multiplayer, since that's how you normally played Battletech, right? As a wargame, between two competitors? I'm sure you could also have a campaign ala mechwarrior make a lot of sense, though I don't think the Battletech tabletop game was normally played in a DnD style compaign. Anyway, you would think that AI skirmishes would be the least important part of all that, compared to either multiplayer or a campaign.

Not that I'm really concerned, I bet it will reach 2.5 million. It sort of seems like that's what they need to really make the game, but it was set as a stretch goal rather than a real goal so they could still keep their 250,000 if that's all they got. Probably would end up releasing the other stuff as DLC.

Anyway, this is mostly rambling. I want this! Mektek has a confusing interface anyway.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile

Battletech was a tabletop game, but there was a popular RPG spinoff Mechwarrior. The games could pretty much be combined, played those as a kid.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My only real experience with Battletech is Mechwarrior 4 and tooling around with Mechwarrior Online(which turned too much into a grindfest for me), but this sounds extremely awesome. WANT
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

I would think that the main draw of the game would be multiplayer...

Thing is, MegaMek does multiplayer better than this game ever will. I highly doubt they took that into consideration, but I've no real interest in a BT MP game with only a few dozen 'Mechs to choose from, when I can have MM instead...
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The multiplayer aspects of Battletech don't really appeal to me that much. As said above, there's already the TT game and MM for that. A good single-player campaign in the universe is what I'd like to see after MWO canned that side of its plans.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

Woohoo!
It's FEF, not FEOF

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Wow, that didn't take long to get crazy overfunded.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm interested of course... But I'd really like an actual BT virtual table top board game like the MegaMek, but done better, and with multiplayer lobbies, campaigns and such. Something like MM + MekWars + MekHQ together with modern UI and not coded in Java. And game mods of course for fixing the various (imbalance) issues the ways players want to.

I hope this game will turn out to be something around 30 €. I'll surely try it out.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

I'm interested of course... But I'd really like an actual BT virtual table top board game like the MegaMek, but done better, and with multiplayer lobbies, campaigns and such. Something like MM + MekWars + MekHQ together with modern UI and not coded in Java. And game mods of course for fixing the various (imbalance) issues the ways players want to.

I hope this game will turn out to be something around 30 €. I'll surely try it out.

Unless you have a strict no-early-access/kickstarter projects, this could be the thing to back? It sounds like it getting to $2.5m is what would get you what you'd like. It made $1m in one day... I've mostly heard good things from these developers, so I'm hoping things will be decent.

Anyway, I backed it. MM matches honestly too far too long for me. I loved them, but investing 2h fighting against someone else only to have a bad die roll have serious consequences put me off too much. They're trying to aim for 30m matches, and I personally don't mind some streamlining given how much time I have :)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unless you have a strict no-early-access/kickstarter projects, this could be the thing to back? It sounds like it getting to $2.5m is what would get you what you'd like. It made $1m in one day... I've mostly heard good things from these developers, so I'm hoping things will be decent.

Anyway, I backed it. MM matches honestly too far too long for me. I loved them, but investing 2h fighting against someone else only to have a bad die roll have serious consequences put me off too much. They're trying to aim for 30m matches, and I personally don't mind some streamlining given how much time I have :)

You may be right! Got to think about it. I would also be interested in a PC game using Alpha Strike rules - they're more simple, faster to play and (so they say) much better balanced without excessive optional rules.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Personally, after Shadowrun, I don't expect this to look or play like what I'd want. So I'm going to take a wait and see stance. Not like it's not going to get funded.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Looks promising, so I backed it. Loved old school Battletech.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

Yoooooo stretch goal 2 achieved!

Quote from: Stage 2 Mini Stretch Goals
    $1,100,000 - Cinematic Transitions: We'll add short cutscenes for various events in game - such as deploying your forces to the battlefield - and for key moments in the single-player story.
    $1,200,000 - Player-Character Origin Stories: In BATTLETECH, you’ll create your own mercenary character to star in the story. If we hit this funding level, you'll be able to choose one of six origin stories for your mercenary commander's career. Are you the only heir of a once noble family that has since fallen from favor? The bastard child of a famous MechWarrior? You decide.
    $1,350,000 - Voice Acting: We'll record a cast of talented voice actors to act as your advisers, provide mission briefings, and record battlefield emotes. We’ll also add voice acting to the animatics for important moments in the story.
    $1,550,000 - 3D MechWarrior Portrait Customization: We'll build a complete 3D portrait customization system for you to customize the look of both your MechWarriors and your own Mercenary commander.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 64