Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Library of Ruina  (Read 3065 times)

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Library of Ruina
« on: October 11, 2020, 10:14:02 am »

So, it's a deck building RPG game realeased from Project Moon, with the story acting like a sequel to Lobotomy Corp. I'm kinda surprised there isn't already a thread about it.

I was already planning to purchase it since I was a huge fan of Lobotomy Corp. And then I realized the theme song/OP is sang by Mili. INSTANT perchase right there, I'm telling ya.

Right now getting utterly recked by Full Stop Office. Yes, I know ranged cards have a lot of disadvantages, but the damage they do is utterly unbelievable.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 08:45:02 am by IonMatrix »
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Library of Ruinia
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 01:33:04 pm »

Being an anime-appreciating keyboard monkey, that song definitely has the anime OP appeal to it, and I'm a big fan. After getting a glimpse of gameplay on YouTube, the game looks... wacky. I haven't had much opportunity to play deck-builders, but those that I have tried I rather enjoyed. This one looks like it has a little more going on with the whole party movement and... emotion(??) system in place and stuff. If you could give some more details on those aspects, Ion, I'd really appreciate it. I might just end up picking this one up.

As a side note, you may want to change the thread title to Library of Ruina. That extra "I" caused me to fail to find it on a Steam search the first time.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 01:52:45 pm by Nighthawk »

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Library of Ruina
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 08:58:22 am »

Oh yeah. Dunno what I was thinking when I typed the title.

As for the mechanics, it isn't really that complicated. I'll make a more detailed post with screen shots late when I have my hands on my computer.

So, the emotion thing is more like morale. Basically, you gain it by hitting the enemy, and once you hit certain levels, the energy caps of your librarians will increase. Same applys to the enemy. Also, when the emotion level increases, you can use a abnormality page thing, which basically gives your party buffs.

In short, gain emotion by hitting enemy. Emotion good. Emotion increase energy cap and give buffs.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 09:36:08 am »

Alright, just finished all the lower Urban Plague receptions, none of them, too hard. No idea what I was smoking when I fought FSO.

Anyways, can anyone recommend a bleed deck? I heard it plays real well on Hod's floor, and I kinda need another strong floor other than Kether.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 08:42:10 am »

Did all the upper ones too. My opinions on the:
The (insert actual name here) clan: boy do they like causing bleed. Fortunaly, most of my cards have less amount of offensive dice.

The musicans of Bremen: They hit damn hard, all right. Not only are their cards strong in the first place, they love causing random buffs and screwing you. They also show little sign of slowing down. Focus fire is king here.

Wedge office: The real boss is on act 2, but act 1 isn't going easy on you at all. Their cards are quite strong on piercing damage. Oscar will also die a turn later than he should. I had surprisingly less trouble on act 2. Try not to attack him on turn 1. Use all your buffs and charge up on turn two. Try to stagger him on turn 3. Finish him on turn 4. Apparently he gets a HUGE buff after turn 5 though, so really hurry the fuck up.

Love Town: We don't talk about love town.
More seriously, pay attention what damage the townsfolk will resist. Almost ruined my first run. Definitely do not forget to clash with them. Also did they really have to use a background that does so much white damage???

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 05:34:20 am »

I demand to speak with the person who designed the Queen of Hatred fight.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 08:51:55 pm »

Finally dealt with all the lower urban nightmare receptions. All of them with only one floor! (Although the puppets almost killed my main floor. They roll damn high all right.)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 09:42:51 pm »

So, uh, does the Library count as a SCP, slowing trying to take over the town until it alone remain?

Looks pretty interesting, and not quite as brutal or creepy as Lobotomy Corp.  I'm pretty tough, but I had to delete that game and not turn back.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 06:29:09 am »

Um, no, that's well, not even close. But then again although you'll understand the story perfectly fine without playing Lobotomy Corp but there are some lore that was only explained there.

Also Lobotomy Corp is creepy?  :o That was the last thing I though of it. And your looking at a guy who chickens out at anything that looks remotely like a horror game.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 06:44:39 am by IonMatrix »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 03:18:44 pm »

Well, the SCPs are feed on people.  You can try and fiddle around to find the less people-eating options, but many of them just kill people and will continue to kill people as long as you keep trying to interact with them.

Turning them into books, that is like the PG version, so I'm good.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 04:05:48 pm »

So how is the game? Could those of us on the sidelines get a review?

How's it compare to, say, Slay the Spire or Monster Train (the other two 'deck building' games I've played recently)?

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2020, 04:25:06 pm »

Well, the thing is that this is Not a rogue-like so...

Combat itself is very strategic for a deck building, or at least in my opinion. Some of the guests have unique mechanics. Others can work really well if you combine them with X, so deck building itself is also strategic. (Since it's not a rogue-like so you can actually choose which of your acquired cards to equip) Also it has really intresting story and awesome music.

But, unlike the plethora of other Early access games, this one is actually, well, in early access, so expect major changes. I'd definitly still recommend it, though! I didn't have any major problems, and there is quite a lot of content even though the story line is not finished.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 09:29:35 am »

Just managed to inflict 52 stacks of bleed in one turn with the Thumb's cards. That was some wierd math.

Also the new Floor Realization music is awesome! The electric guitar makes it EPIC!

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 08:56:41 am »

I offically declare the new index fight as the definition of NASTY.

How the hell are they SO GOOD at clashing?