Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 64

Author Topic: BATTLETECH - X-COM meets ROBOTS! - Release day April 24 2018!  (Read 105395 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: BattleTech - Harebrained Schemes meets Big Stompy Robots
« Reply #420 on: December 01, 2017, 12:12:55 am »

6. I'm not sure if elevation does anything? Maybe it affects aim? Didn't seem like it did anything for me. Doesn't seem like there's any point in standing on a hill other than to get clear line of sight.

I haven't played this particular game, but in actual BattleTech you have to be "hull down" to get a benefit from elevation. Stick your legs behind a hill with your torso poking out and you'll probably see a bonus.

Standing on a hill looking down at something isn't really useful, although it can improve your line of sight (seeing over trees, instead of having to look through them.)
Turns out it does affect accuracy. Gives a small boost depending on height. I could see it when I fiddled with jumpjets as the game will tell you your potential accuracy if you move to an area.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 06, 2017, 10:05:14 am »

Paradox will do a stream on the game in about one hour and a half. Check it out here then.

(I'll link to the Youtube upload once it's up on their channel).

EDIT: Turns out the stream was yesterday and it involved them playing the single player mission that was previewed earlier. If you still want to see it, have a looksie here.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:19:01 am by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 10, 2018, 10:15:18 am »

The Backer Beta has been taken offline. Launching the beta in steam leads to an error about a missing file.

I found the following message in the Steam folder.

MechWarrior!

Thank you for your participation in the BattleTech Backer Beta! While it is a little sad that the time for playing this version of the game has come to an end, you can bet that means the full version is coming soon..."How soon?" you may ask. Soon - thank you for your patience as we wrap up development and stay tuned for more information.

We have learned a lot from your feedback and just the fact that you played has helped make the game better. We very much appreciate the playtime you put in and hope you enjoy the adjustments we have made when the full game arrives. We look forward to your playing at that time just as we know you are!

Best wishes,
Your Friends at Harebrained Schemes
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 10, 2018, 11:21:42 am »

The beta was fun. I am really looking forward to playing the full game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 10, 2018, 12:11:38 pm »

Also, HBS started a series of tweets called Mech Mondays. So far, we got a glimpse at the Locust LCT-1V, Commando COM-2D, Firestarter FS9-H, Hunchback HBK-4G and the Awesome AWS-8Q.
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 10, 2018, 01:27:50 pm »

What's the reasoning behind not leaving it running until launch?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 10, 2018, 05:52:48 pm »

What's the reasoning behind not leaving it running until launch?

I imagine there are two reasons:
Firstly, having a time period where people can't play it will make them more likely to buy it when it does come out. Most people get a craving for a certain 'type' of game, and so playing the beta probably scratches that itch enough to not need to buy it until a sale/etc. I know that was the case when I was playing one of the recent 4x games - I played the beta enough that I really didn't see the point when the final version came out. This effect is especially potent if you've got hooked on the beta and it's pulled away from you - you might have burned out otherwise.

Less commercially, I imagine that they're not really taking any more input from players - they've probably got all that they can out of the the beta testing side of it so more bug reports etc. won't help.

I don't like it as it goes against the 'if I've bought it then it's mine' principle that I think is very important, but I can see why they'd do it.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 11, 2018, 06:04:33 am »

HBS also wanted to take down the servers and integrate a new authentication system, getting them ready for the full release. And getting in some upgrades / bugfixes on the backend as well.

Still no firm release date, but once it's out there, I'll post it here.
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 17, 2018, 09:38:06 am »

Some new Mech profile tweets, this time the Quickdrawn QKD-4G and the Trebuchet TBT-5N.

THere is also a new Kickstarter update. No solid release date yet (beyond a "in the next few months"), although it seems like they are in the "tweak" fase. They also explained a bit on the new multiplayer direction (originally more of a "solaris league" thing, now more of regular skirmish). There are also several kickstarter stretch goals that will be added after release.

Spoiler: Content of the Update (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:07:37 am by Dohon »
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #429 on: January 17, 2018, 01:12:47 pm »

No Solaris?! Boo!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 17, 2018, 02:15:30 pm »

Does sound like they want to do Solaris at some point.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 15, 2018, 01:27:47 pm »

New Q&A was done yesterday. Watch it here.

Spoiler: transcript (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:30:51 pm by Dohon »
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 16, 2018, 05:50:58 am »

Thanks for the transcript again!

There is a reason why the Warhammer and Marauder is out, but no comment.

Yeah, it's called fucking Harmony Gold.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 16, 2018, 10:23:28 am »

Lets buy a copyright from a company that doesn't have the rights to sell the copyright, sue a similar game series (that granted had very similar looking robots at the time), then sue the original sellers over the copyright that they didn't have the rights to sell us the first time, somehow convinced a judge to let us keep the copyright that we bought from a company that couldnt legally sell it to us in the first place, so we can keep control of that copyright and then keep suing people over the copyright for the next few decades!

That is literally what is happening with HG. I'm not making that up. It's seriously like Apple selling the rights to Windows 10 in Canada, after buying the rights from Google. (Just on a smaller scale).

Actually, Good summary on that mess here
How anime landed BattleTech and the MechWarrior games in legal trouble
and here,
Update on Harmony Gold Lawsuit
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:29:26 am by deoloth »

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 16, 2018, 12:00:45 pm »

Lets buy a copyright from a company that doesn't have the rights to sell the copyright, sue a similar game series (that granted had very similar looking robots at the time), then sue the original sellers over the copyright that they didn't have the rights to sell us the first time, somehow convinced a judge to let us keep the copyright that we bought from a company that couldnt legally sell it to us in the first place, so we can keep control of that copyright and then keep suing people over the copyright for the next few decades!

That is literally what is happening with HG. I'm not making that up. It's seriously like Apple selling the rights to Windows 10 in Canada, after buying the rights from Google. (Just on a smaller scale).

Actually, Good summary on that mess here
How anime landed BattleTech and the MechWarrior games in legal trouble
and here,
Update on Harmony Gold Lawsuit

Nah, that summary is out of date. The motion for summary judgment was dropped and HG amended their complaint on Monday: https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.wawd.242820/gov.uscourts.wawd.242820.83.0.pdf

Tatsunoko had the rights to merchandising for Macross outside of Japan. Tatsunoko sold those rights to HG, which is exactly what the arbitration and lawsuit between HG and Tatsunoko confirmed. No, HG doesn't have a copyright on the mechs themselves, but they do have the right to US merchandising of the mechs. The msj was based on the premise that HG somehow didn't acquire those rights from Tatsunoko, but the fact that everyone has agreed to drop the msj and allow HG to amend indicates that the standing argument probably wasn't a winning one. It's going to come down a judge deciding how much of the designs are rip-offs of Macross.

edit: for the record I backed HBS' Battletech on KS.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 12:06:33 pm by ZeroGravitas »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 64