Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 64

Author Topic: BATTLETECH - X-COM meets ROBOTS! - Release day April 24 2018!  (Read 105456 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: BATTLETECH - X-COM meets ROBOTS! - Release day April 24 2018!
« Reply #570 on: April 26, 2018, 08:03:54 pm »

I did a 5 skull rank mission where it said I'd be fighting a superheavy mech and it was obviously a trap. My objective was to trigger that trap and kill all enemies.

I was like "yeeeesss, time to get me some assault mechs". I set the negotiation bar to max salvage and prepared for a very difficult fight.

The actual battle turned out to be against a single demolisher tank (the "superheavy mech") and the trap was 4 light mechs.

I was so incredibly disappointed. I should have taken money instead. Until I saw the salvage results. Right at the bottom was... 4. FOUR advanced cockpit mods. These are 0 weight mods for your cockpit that makes it so if your pilot can ignore two injuries from headshots.

Cha-ching baby!!!!

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 26, 2018, 08:33:59 pm »

I have found one bug...or maybe it was a bug, in a garrison battle. The ai spent 9 turns gathering up all the mechs then sent it at the base, causing me to win by timer with only 1 enemy mech destroyed. :-\
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 26, 2018, 09:44:59 pm »

If you get a random mission which description is:

"Oh yeah we just need you to defend some random base. Don't worry it won't get attacked or anything"

It's a lie. It's a massive lie. It's basically zombie defense, mech edition.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 26, 2018, 10:05:00 pm »

If you get a random mission which description is:

"Oh yeah we just need you to defend some random base. Don't worry it won't get attacked or anything"

It's a lie. It's a massive lie. It's basically zombie defense, mech edition.
That is a normal garison mission, I've done 4 of them, the last one had that wierd issue where all the enemies just slowly regrouped.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 26, 2018, 10:09:04 pm »

just struggeling to do a two star mission. 5 lights and 4 mediums all clustered together. will try one different approach and then load the autosave before i took the mission.
that random mission generator seems vewwy good indeed.

edit: complete crap. unwinnable by any means. im outnumbered and outtonned more then 2:1, the only way to trigger one mech is trigger the reinforcements as well, the only movable path is a narrow ridge of uneven terrain between water while the horde comes from a forested hill. wtf.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:21:33 pm by motorbitch »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 26, 2018, 11:01:51 pm »

I will second the opinion that it is, usually, better to focus on one range than a mix of ranges. I can actually see mixing large and small lasers though. The small lasers fire when you go into melee, and if you have large lasers, melee will be your main option if you're forced to fight up close for some reason. I think large lasers don't even have a minimum range.

Also, I read in a review that missions are randomized on start- that means that there's a considerable range of difficulty within "3 skulls" or whatever.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 27, 2018, 12:56:47 am »

just struggeling to do a two star mission. 5 lights and 4 mediums all clustered together. will try one different approach and then load the autosave before i took the mission.

edit: complete crap. unwinnable by any means. im outnumbered and outtonned more then 2:1, the only way to trigger one mech is trigger the reinforcements as well, the only movable path is a narrow ridge of uneven terrain between water while the horde comes from a forested hill. wtf.

people think it's a reserves bug.

The extra lance is supposed to show up after the first is defeated. 

It's a focus fire game, and being limited to a lance of 4 makes 4v9 a spike in difficulty.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 27, 2018, 01:56:34 am »

Ooh, if this is likely to be a bug then it makes sense. It seems like in every mission where there's reinforcements, the reinforcements appear in the first round of combat.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 27, 2018, 02:21:02 am »

speaking of bugs, it seems the  game has problems with its textures.
dudes with 8gb of vram say the game fully loads that up.
i have only 3, but i too have texture problems. when i set them to high they look like ripped out of a 1995game, and my performance is utter crap.  looks fine with medium texture sizes and the game runs much smoother.
however, dude also claimed that not using high texture sizes reduced his loading times to sane levels. this did not work for me.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 27, 2018, 03:31:16 am »

Well I wanted to see how this 2 skull convoy ambush would play out after the first turn of combat saw two firestarters jump out of the shadows, overheat my Shadowhawk (replacement pilot, since Behemoth got 2x injuries on the successful run of the last mission I bitched about, guess NPCs hate the damn thing), provide two injuries for the rookie with headshots, and allows the other two mechs to focus fire, taking out a leg and killing the fucking pilot before she can do anything.

Cue most of my shots missing at 85% accuracy, while my 3 and 4 bars of evasion exist only for show. I feel like the enemy mechs get infinite precision shots with how often I see multiple weapons chew through a single section of armor. My guys can't help but spread their shots, when they hit, across however many sections exist and a few that don't. This is worse than X-Com. With that missing with a high to-hit shot was a frustrating occurrence. With this it's more or less "Four weapons at 90% accuracy, which one is going to hit the only armored section left on the mech?"

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 27, 2018, 03:52:58 am »

Spoiler: Campaign spoilers (click to show/hide)

I was also wondering if these small selection of weapons was all that we ever get. Turns out the answer is no. There are a lot more weapons.

I also have a bunch of head mods that boost morale gain each turn. I currently have +5 morale gain per turn from them. It's pretty nutty. One of my mechwarriors has a kind of bug with permanent inspired, so with him I can basically use abilities every 2 turns.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 27, 2018, 05:07:07 am »

curses! i was unhappy with my skill selection and how i fucked up salvaging any good mech i came by, so i had reloaded a very early save some time after i did that priority mission where you have to kill them srm car glass cannons in the beginning.
3 of my dudes had glitched high spirit then.
well, i figured no matter, ill get these events again. well i did, but the high spirit didnt glitch out. bummers.
ahh well, at least im not bugusing now.

also, i managed to get that jaggermech in the prison mission. witch was kind of a chore because it had almost no armor so it was realy difficult not to core it when making it fall often enough so the pilot died and load times.
awsome mech though. its just 65t so it sure is no endgame mech, but i could fit 2 ac5+2t ammo, 4 Mlaser and 4mg without compromizing the armor to much. sadly it gets somewhat hot, but during early-mid game its a killer.

i think ac5 are stronger in this game then in most battletech games i played so far. proably because all weapons have the same fire rate, so they had to adjust the damage.

also, i have a nice ++ ac5 (+5dmg +10 stability dmg) and one +++ ac5 (+4accuracy +20 stability damage) so thats cool. along with the mgs that jaggermech produces a lot of high quality salvage XD

edit: oh looks, there are com system + that give 2 morale per round... proably even ++. enough of them and you can just spam precission shots all the time if you have bugged out spirits.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 07:04:30 am by motorbitch »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 27, 2018, 07:32:16 am »

It sounds like you're describing a massive natural chokepoint as a disadvantage.

Bring your three heaviest mechs decked out in long range equipment (primarily the beefiest LRMs you have, but some ACs for when they eventually reach you might be nice too) and the fastest light mech you own piloted by someone with the sensor lock ability.  Set up your missiles in a defensive position at the back of the ridge (hell, maybe even in the water if you aren't heat stable) and send your fast dude forward to trigger the enemy and provide a sensor point.  Keep him moving, keep him out of their range if possible, spam the defensive morale ability.  His job isn't to cause any damage, just to be your eyes and not dead.  Let your missiles blot out the sun.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 27, 2018, 07:45:28 am »

hehe, i tried a lot there, it was just not winable with the mechs i had at that point.
the maps are hand crafted, and that one is quite hard just from the design. if you add in overwhelming force, it becomes futile.
not a biggie tho. one can always retreat. (or just reload)

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 27, 2018, 01:49:57 pm »

Is there any down side to tanking your crew allowance during the monthly budget? Does it just affect starting morale in battle, or does it have some influence in the occasional ship events that pop up?
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 64