Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 64

Author Topic: BATTLETECH - X-COM meets ROBOTS! - Release day April 24 2018!  (Read 105429 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: BATTLETECH - X-COM meets ROBOTS! - Release day April 24 2018!
« Reply #795 on: June 06, 2018, 01:26:38 pm »

The campaign does not, but I've still been having fun wandering around the area doing random missions after the campaign.

On the other hand, I think you did a lot more of that during the campaign than I did.

I think the main difference in replayability between XCOM and Battletech is that the XCOM campaign only has a few scripted missions, and even those have some amount of procedural content (like what enemies show up). Battletech's campaign missions are fully scripted and there are a lot of them, so once you've been through it you really have seen it all. XCOM at least had each run through have different base assault missions and whatnot, even if the core mission type was the same.

With the exception of the last mission in XCOM, which was everyone's least favorite probably in part because of that exact reason.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 06, 2018, 02:46:14 pm »

I did enjoy the mods but with only 2 mods the game bugged to unplayability.  I had only 2 mods, Weapons+ and panic system and ended up with no more contracts spawning anywhere, they spawned in the system I was in when I started playing the mods, making me think everything was fine and then when I cleared out that system I found that nowhere else had contracts, not even the remaining story one.  After removing weapons+ and reverting back to an old save things are running fine with just the simple panic system, but that's kind of a pita because literally weapons+ was all I was interested in in the first place.

Though now that I look at it again it seems the mod author stopped supporting it back in may and it has become a buggy mess ever since with people just wantonly cutting out entire mod folders to get it to not straight up crash.  Let alone work properly.  I suppose I should have expected as much.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 28, 2018, 02:24:02 pm »

Now that there has been enough time for modders to do some good stuff I've dived back in.

I've got the whole Inner Sphere unlocked, campaign turned off (and starting at the Mercenary board HQ in Lyran space), with a random set of starting mechs and mechwarriors. Also a number of gameplay tweaks to make things a little more interesting for a pure sandbox campaign.

Salvage needed to build a mech is set to 5 instead of 3, and any mechs of mine that are cored are destroyed and salvaged instead of being available for repair. All rebuilt salvage mechs now start off fully damaged with no parts, meaning salvaging mechs to sell is now much less profitable. Still worth it in many cases, but not to the point in vanilla where max salvage is your best option 90% of the time.

There are drop costs per tonnage for mechs, making it more desirable to drop lighter mechs to maximize payout.

Tweaked Gaurded to be only 33% DR instead of 50%. Makes Bulwark and Breaching Shot still nice but less need to have.

So far I'm having a blast!

Started out with two hunchbacks (1 AC20 and 1 Mlaser), a Trebuchet, a Jenner, and a Locust. Not an amazing lance, since the HBs are so damn slow, but I'm making it work. Had to change the laser one to have 2 Large Lasers just so we had some more ranged capability. Also had one death so far, RIP Copperhead. She was a good pilot, but the enemy got some lucky leg shots and knocked her down. That and two head hits was just too much. So I'm training up a replacement now.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 30, 2018, 10:17:00 am »

Mild double-post, but I figured I'd let people know that I've started up a screenshot based LP of a new Sandbox Campaign I am starting. Feel free to join in and claim a mechwarrior!
Come play Mafia with us!

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 22, 2018, 01:00:40 pm »

A new expansion called Flashpoint will be released somewhere in November. More info here. Small trailer here.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 22, 2018, 03:38:59 pm »

Nice! All things I've been wanting.
Come play Mafia with us!

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
BATTLETECH - Flashpoint DLC incoming!
« Reply #801 on: November 27, 2018, 11:03:20 am »

The new DLC will release in a few hours. Steam page here. There is also a new free patch, adding a "career" mode, reworking the abilities, tweaking reputation gain, adding black markets, ... Read more here.

There is also a Season Pass, allowing you to buy 3 expansions. More info here.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 05:57:26 am by Dohon »
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 27, 2018, 01:44:01 pm »

3 mechs, 1 planet type, and 1 mission doesn't seem like much for $20. The extra events are badly needed though, which gets them closer.

I'd still like to see the Maurader (lawsuit, I know) and the promised cameos.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 28, 2018, 05:56:33 am »

3 mechs, 1 planet type, and 1 mission doesn't seem like much for $20. The extra events are badly needed though, which gets them closer.

I'd still like to see the Maurader (lawsuit, I know) and the promised cameos.

Agreed. The free patch (patch notes here) is far better than the DLC. I love the Hatchetman, but I think I'll get the DLC in a sale.
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 28, 2018, 09:25:17 am »

I started a new campaign with patch 1.3 
Load time is still a bit on the slow side. 
I upgraded from an i5 cpu + 8GB RAM + SSD + GTX 770 2GB, to an i7 + 16GB RAM + SSD. 
Waiting for a new gpu (RTX 2070 8GB) to arrive still, so I'll see if this will improve load times. 

Now I remember why I hated vanilla--it's the on purpose slowing down of game play.  The stupid unskippable animations to travel. 
At least there is a space bar to speed up animation for mech movement, but there is still a significant pause to see mech animations to fire--which can be disabled in the options.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 28, 2018, 02:32:04 pm »

I dont understand this game. Is there anything to combat besides cover and rng?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 28, 2018, 02:59:55 pm »

I don't understand this game. Is there anything to combat besides cover and rng?

Mechwarrior have ~5 health points, and skill tree:
Gunnery for direct fire accuracy (energy, ballistic weapons)
Pilot for movement 
Guts for instability and heat and melee 
Tactician for indirect fire (missiles)

Weapons are direct fire (energy, ballistic cannons, short range missile), and missiles (indirect fire, long range missles)

Mech has head, center torso, left and right torso, arms, and legs with armor. 

Firing, moving, jumping generates heat.  Mech have heat capacity, and heat vents.  Basically overheat = shutdown, lose a turn to restart. 

Taking multiple hits increase instability which can make your mech fall.

Fallen mech = give enemy or you aimed shot. 

Some parts of mech has ammo, shoot all armor = shoot internal, chance to secondary explosion. 

Head hits = -1 pilot health.  Pilot with 0 health = incacitated = full salvage on mech (3 mech part = you have a mech to ride on after repair). 

Mech with no legs = incapacitated = 2 mech parts salvage.

Mech center torso gone = incapacitated = 1 mech part salvage. 

Initiative and phases (turns):  Light Mech, then Medium, Heavy, last Assault for the most part.
Reserve means save turn to next initiative phase. 
So its possible a light Mech reserves all his turn until the last when every enemy has moved.  The light mech can then move to to position, shoot. 
Next initiative round start, and Light Mech gets initiative who then moves out of LOS.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 28, 2018, 03:06:22 pm »

Main strategy is to increase how many weapons you are firing at the enemy each turn while minimizing how many are firing at you. How you go about doing that is kind of up to you because both kiting and knocking down enemies works.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 28, 2018, 03:18:56 pm »

Mission type also has a big impact on things. Base Assaults are very different from Convoy attacks, for instance. So you often have to juggle target prioritization and mission objectives against risk to your mechs and pilots.
Come play Mafia with us!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 28, 2018, 03:49:15 pm »

Now I remember why I hated vanilla--it's the on purpose slowing down of game play.  The stupid unskippable animations to travel. 
At least there is a space bar to speed up animation for mech movement, but there is still a significant pause to see mech animations to fire--which can be disabled in the options.

I think there was a mod to remove the pause (originally added to mechwarriors can make one of the 3 comments they make before shooting).

I'd love a mod that removed travel time.

Pretty much what etgfrog said. If you shoot off the part of the mech that has the weapons (or most of them), they're less of a threat. Taking out a leg or otherwise knocking them down buys you a turn of everyone getting called shots to locations. Normally you hit random locations based on which direction you shot them from (front, back, or side). Because of the salvage system in the PC game, you have a weird incentive to damage enemies as much as possible without destroying the mech. You want to knock it down repeatedly to kill the pilot, and each knockdown (other than legging them) takes 2 hits minimum.

Also, focusing fire is good. One enemy dead and one shooting at you is better than 2 wounded enemies shooting at you.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 64