Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 64

Author Topic: BATTLETECH - X-COM meets ROBOTS! - Release day April 24 2018!  (Read 105250 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: BATTLETECH - X-COM meets ROBOTS! - Release day April 24 2018!
« Reply #855 on: December 07, 2018, 01:08:10 pm »

I'm not a die-hard fan of either w40k or Battletech, however I do prefer the w40k books as they tend to sort of...understand what it is. You pick up a space marine book, and it's about space marines destroying the xeno filth (and occasionally each other). That's pretty much all there is to it - and that's almost refreshing in a way. 

The Battletech books (of the few I've read) seem to over-reach and start doing all sorts of political stuff that isn't about big robots shooting each other. It's not that it can't have more overarching elements, or a deep plot, but I often found that BT would just go off on all sorts of random tangents about politics and the origins of house this and that for more than it did the actual robots fighting each other bit.
Agree 100%, sums up my feelings very well.

I like BT and 40k but I wish the writers for them were more often a little more indulgent, but in different ways.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 21, 2019, 09:23:27 pm »

I still wish they'd made a pretty MegaMek. Or even Mechwarriors 2:Mercenaries with real salvage.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: July 22, 2019, 08:40:50 pm »

So for anyone else who has been kinda letting this idle for a while, it's a good time to pick it back up, because RogueTech has really come into its own. The full playable Inner Sphere map works, the rebalance stuff (mostly) feels good, there's an absolute pile of 'mech and vehicle chassis and variants all fully modeled, and there are tech breakpoints available for both ~Civil War and ~Jihad-era stuff.

Right now I'm running with an Osiris-3D on a 240XL DHS & ES+FF with 4x ERMLas + 1x SRM6 (AX bins), a Hunchback-4P on a 200STD with the predictable mountain of IS MLas, a Hellspawn-V on a 250XL DHS & ES+FF with a pirate-modded heavy vehicle flamer + 1x LRM30 (Swarm/Hydra/Thunder bins) + 4x MChem lasers, a Vulcan-5M on a 240STD DHS & ES with 1x LPLas + 1x MPLas, a Valkyrie-QA on a 150STD with 1x SRM4 + 1x ERMLas + 1x MG, and an Urbanmech-RHW on a 60STD with reinforced legs and a L X-PLas. All fully modeled.

I wasn't kidding when I said that it's come a long way. And the 'mechbay especially is a dream, there's way more stuff you have control over now. All the shit like UACs, RACs, engine swaps, DHS conversion, ES/FF, &c. that modders were trying to figure out after launch have been solved.

They've also got this cool thing where faction control of systems is based on a shared global map of the IS for all RogueTech users, at least allegedly affected by which contracts we take and complete.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: July 22, 2019, 11:41:25 pm »

Roguetech hasn't yet been updated to the latest version of the game, right? Still a great honking mod, that's for sure... just waiting for it to fold in urban warfare before spinning it back up again.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: July 23, 2019, 12:14:28 am »

According to the Discord for Roguetech the first Public Alpha just got released. Probably quite buggy, but there if you want to check it out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: July 23, 2019, 06:07:31 am »

Yep, their first alpha for 1.6 released yesterday.

3. Run Resize Enable

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 23, 2019, 08:05:41 am »

Oh, spiffy. Thanks. I'll probably wait for stable, but good to know it's getting close.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 23, 2019, 08:50:25 am »

wait Roguetech is only entering alpha now?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 23, 2019, 09:05:11 am »

Well, they have to basically do the entire cycle every time a DLC or major patch for the game is released. So this is in Alpha for the Urban Warfare release of the game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 23, 2019, 09:15:17 am »

If I recall, part of it is that some of the major changes done by DLC (and associated big patches) mean that some of the modded mechanics break and need to be fixed. E.g. some market features in the Flashpoint patch were kinda-sorta like Roguetech features, and the two didn't play well together until properly integrated.

Considering the sort of modding Roguetech does, it's quite impressive they're able to keep it functional with a changing Battletech.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: July 23, 2019, 09:26:23 am »

No, it's an alpha release of the version updated for the BTech Urban Warfare patch.

3. Run Resize Enable

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: July 23, 2019, 09:27:10 am »

Oh okay, that makes more sense
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: July 24, 2019, 02:00:03 am »

I hated roguetech when I installed it :(  waaay too many confusing new components and stats. I just wanted a vanilla experience but with more roguelike features.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: July 24, 2019, 06:00:11 am »

Yeah, the name is somewhat misleading considering it's more of a total tabletop overhaul.

3. Run Resize Enable

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 27, 2019, 09:07:56 pm »

Yeah, the name is somewhat misleading considering it's more of a total tabletop overhaul.

Except half of the rules can't be implemented right now. So they removed the new rule that (for instance) makes vehicles weaker, without adding internal damage (crit should seriously damage them or leave them immobile) or increased susceptibility to crits. Making it more like tabletop is a good idea, but if they can't they also shouldn't mess with the system.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 64